Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435
Results 3,401 to 3,485 of 3485
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi
    I see the frame option is back available in all sizes. But in last years colour way, carbon with red highlights not the 2018 silver/orange colour.

I'm 6'1, what size you guys recon? thinking XL with a short stem. I'm on the cusp of L to XL according to Treks guide.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Anyone interested in a Line Pro carbon bar takeoff from my 9.7? One ride on them.

Duroc 50mm wheelset, no rides, 350.00 shipped in states.
    I was looking for a wheel set, but wanted to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Divo126 View Post
    Rode a 17 Stache 5 and the feehub was almost silent and the pedals didnít return to the Ďstarting ride positioní after kicking them back upon remounting. Is this normal or is there something wrong?
    My 17 Stache 5 had the same rear hub. It nuked itself. Trek gave me a whole new wheel. The freehub is much louder. End caps are different. Definitely a different hub altogether.

Anyone interested in a Line Pro carbon bar takeoff from my 9.7? One ride on them. 90.00 shipped

Duroc 50mm wheelset, no rides, 350.00 shipped in states.
    Is it an actual Duroc wheelset...or is it a Bontrager unbranded hub with OEM Duroc rims? Very very different wheelset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    My 17 Stache 5 had the same rear hub. It nuked itself. Trek gave me a whole new wheel. The freehub is much louder. End caps are different. Definitely a different hub altogether.

Is it an actual Duroc wheelset...or is it a Bontrager unbranded hub with OEM Duroc rims? Very very different wheelset.
    Take off from 9.7.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    So you're not sure then?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Lets see your Stache official thread-screenshot_20171029-184839.jpg

Doing a little research... They're a Bontrager sealed bearing generic hub laced to OEM Duroc rims and straight g spokes.

$350 is U.S. Government hammer/toilet seat prices

The actual Sun Ringle Duroc wheelset had been going for $350 brand new on eBay and some vendors.

The 9.7 wheelset is the same wheelset as the Stache 5 I'm pretty sure. The only up-spec'd wheelset was on the 9.8 to my knowledge. (Line Pro Carbon) I don't know why they skimped out on the wheelset up toward the top of line except for the 9.8, but the only thing different from 5-9.7 it's the decals.

The OEM Duroc rim isn't even welded, it's sleeved. The Bontrager hub is just generic.

It's probably worth $250 tops from an individual. Not to put the smack down in your sale, but I had a warranty issue with this rear wheel within a half dozen rides. If I were going to buy this wheelset for the asking price, it had better be from trek dealer with a trek warranty because you'll likely need it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the info. Did not look to deeply into the wheelset genetics. Was going to keep as a backup but the Line Pro Carbon wheelset which I ordered same time as 9.7 and installed from day one has been completely dependable for past three months. So thought I would unload them. Was thinking of mounting full 3.0's on Duroc and 2.6 or 2.8's on Line Pro's when readily available for some diversity.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    [QUOTE=chelboed;13396895]My 17 Stache 5 had the same rear hub. It nuked itself. Trek gave me a whole new wheel. The freehub is much louder. End caps are different. Definitely a different hub altogether.

Itís a brand new bike. Spoke to bike shop they said ďitís the factory grease thatís keeping it quiet and it will make noise as it ages...this is standard for new bikes.Ē Are they correct or is it a bad freehub and theyíre giving me the run around?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It "may" be quieter when new... But my brand spanking new in box warranty replacement wheel straight from Trek has a louder freehub than the one that crapped out on my Stache. I'm not saying that's it sucks because it's quiet. I'm saying your quiet one is likely the same as my quiet one that sucked.

The new ones that they're replacing them with are definitely different. Louder. (So different freehub) The end caps are silver with a hex on the end. The original has flat black end caps. (So different axle likely... Or at least end caps)

The factory Bontrager hub is cheap...likely made by Formula or the like... And they probably knew it sucked so they went with something different for 2018.

That said, I beat the piss outta Formula hubs on a slopestyle bike for a long time and they lived to ride the chopping block on eBay when I sold the bike, so I'd say ride them till they fail, then replace them under warranty or get a nice set of wheels with Hope hubs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the info. Did not look to deeply into the wheelset genetics. Was going to keep as a backup but the Line Pro Carbon wheelset which I ordered same time as 9.7 and installed from day one has been completely dependable for past three months. So thought I would unload them. Was thinking of mounting full 3.0's on Duroc and 2.6 or 2.8's on Line Pro's when readily available for some diversity.
    If you have a spare bike, unload them. If not...a local guy around here had rear hub failure on his Line Pro's. They were shredded, but I'm assuming warranty turn-around was quick because he's the guy that handled my warranty on my rear wheel and it only took 4 days from start-to new wheel in box... So if you can be out of a bike that long, no need to have a backup. If not... Keep them. Or heck... Build another cheapo bike for grins.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have several bikes and have two wheelsets for each bike with different tire set ups for the diversity of terrain choices in my area. I actually would like to have a more cross country wheelset for Stache in carbon too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Alright, so I'm having some first world problems over here. My stache unfortunately has been incredibly neglected this last season since I got my Salsa Beargrease, so I'm debating on a few things. Keeping it and turning it into my gravel bike, or selling it to fund a new project.

If I were to go gravel, I am thinking a rigid carbon firestarter fork from Salsa, and a different handlebar arrangement to accommodate long distances. Swap out rims and tires for something a little more on the skinny side to handle a 50c tire.

If I were to sell, I would probably go a different direction all together with a Salsa Fargo or a Jones Spaceframe to build up.

Ideas? It's a 2014 stache 7, and since it was my first "real" mountain bike, I would be pretty sad I think to see it go, but my riding style has also shifted. I mostly ride my fatbike and road bike at this point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Transformation almost complete. Waiting on Hope Pro 4 / Arc wheelset.

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20171030_171306050-picsay.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_20171030_172329037-picsay.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_20171030_171341436-picsay.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_20171030_171325564-picsay.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Also weighing in on the wheel set conversation regarding the 9.7 and other wheels. I had the same wheels on my 9.6. I first had a bad bearing in my back wheel, which trek replaced. Then I started breaking spokes, broke 1, replaced it, broke another, replaced it, then broke 2 more in one one. Trek upgraded me to a line plus rear wheel, it's a really cool wheel set and very loud cassette on it with high engagement. Downside is it's purple/pink. I also then upgraded my front to match, which Trek gave me a bit of a deal on. I was thinking of having a second set of wheels, but my experience wasn't very confidence inspiring with the duroc. Granted, they could have just been a bad build, so I don't know. The line plus wheels have been great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Bontrager has excellent customer service, and always improving there products!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryawesome View Post
    I had the same wheels on my 9.6. I first had a bad bearing in my back wheel, which trek replaced.
    Same here. Toasted bearing.

Trek upgraded me to a line plus rear wheel...Downside is it's purple/pink.
    Yup...but my "Factory Trek Baby Blue" on my Duroc's started to make me vomitous, so I just pulled all of the decals off and now I'm running naked rims ATM. Will your decals come off?

I was thinking of having a second set of wheels, but my experience wasn't very confidence inspiring with the duroc. Granted, they could have just been a bad build, so I don't know. The line plus wheels have been great.
    I'm going to hang on to my OEM Bontrager Duroc wheelset as a spare after my Hope wheelset arrives. Doesn't hurt. I almost went with the Line Plus, but one thing I'll say about Hope hubs...they're hard to beat. I've got a Pr. of Pro2's that are still running strong on my daughters bike after being abused on my own for 10 years. Built in 2006.
    -never replaced any ratchet pawls or springs
    -only replaced bearings 2x...once was just out of sheer boredom

My Pro4's on my 26'er are incredible and so freakin' versatile. You can swap caps on them and run a QR, 20mm TA, 15mm TA, Boost, rear can be 135 QR, Bolt-on (mine), 12mm TA, boost caps, etc. They'll follow me around to my next build for sure.

My Pro2 wheelset was on a 3 different duallies and 4 different hardtails/rigid bikes. Best investment I've ever made on a bike.

In-house Bonty wheels may or may not last the life of the existing bike, but if you tinker a lot like me and build / switch things around...you will serve yourself much better by getting parts that are worthy of moving from build-to-build.

I rarely buy a complete though. I usually begin as a frame and build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Noooooo!

Crappy picture but you get the point. I've had numerous problems with my '17 9.6. Pawls exploded at about 700. Broke rear wheel spokes every other ride until it was re-strung with larger spokes, and now this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by revdandom View Post

Crappy picture but you get the point. I've had numerous problems with my '17 9.6. Pawls exploded at about 700. Broke rear wheel spokes every other ride until it was re-strung with larger spokes, and now this.
    My 17 9.6 had bad wheel issues as well, bad bearings in the hubs, then went through 4 broken spokes, breaking 2 in one ride even. Shop did a warranty claim and Trek shipped me a Bontrager LinePlus wheel complete, so new hub, straight spokes, and new rim. It's purple and pink but hey it's a really nice piece of kit. I then wanted a front one, they wouldn't give one to me but gave me a discount to buy it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

That's a REALLY strange spot for a manufacturing defect or stress fracture. Looks like swiping scratch marks, have you crashed it or lay it up against things? Using a weird tool to get the cassette off?

What did trek warranty say about it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    That's a REALLY strange spot for a manufacturing defect or stress fracture. Looks like swiping scratch marks, have you crashed it or lay it up against things? Using a weird tool to get the cassette off?

What did trek warranty say about it?
    The marks on the seat stay are cracks in the paint from the failure. Any falls I had, were to the side and I cushioned the fall, being clipped in. The chain stay was in great shape. The bike didn't get laid against anything. Thule bike rack and it hangs by the front wheel at the house. After dropping it off at the bike shop, they took a series of pictures and sent them to Trek. Apparently, the warranty replacement went through but looks like I'll be getting the Trek 9.8 frame with the red accents. I'm considering selling the frame and moving to steel. Maybe a Krampus.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The marks on the seat stay are cracks in the paint from the failure. Any falls I had, were to the side and I cushioned the fall, being clipped in. The chain stay was in great shape. The bike didn't get laid against anything. Thule bike rack and it hangs by the front wheel at the house. After dropping it off at the bike shop, they took a series of pictures and sent them to Trek. Apparently, the warranty replacement went through but looks like I'll be getting the Trek 9.8 frame with the red accents. I'm considering selling the frame and moving to steel. Maybe a Krampus.
    Glad you're getting it under warranty. I started out with an all black 9.6, then got the 9.8 frame under warranty, then the line plus purple/pink wheels (rear under warranty), so I started out stealthy, now all my friends say I'm just 'peacocking', lol.

Australia
    Glad you're getting it under warranty. I started out with an all black 9.6, then got the 9.8 frame under warranty, then the line plus purple/pink wheels (rear under warranty), so I started out stealthy, now all my friends say I'm just 'peacocking', lol.
    Haha!!
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hey guys,
    I am having a hard to to find THE perfect way to hang my stache 9.6 (carbon) in my garage. any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaMoi View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am having a hard to to find THE perfect way to hang my stache 9.6 (carbon) in my garage. any suggestions?
    Yup..hang it my garage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The saga continues. Went to check in yesterday and Trek wanted the frame shipped to them to investigate more. The warranty status is now unknown.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaMoi View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have rubber coated J hooks installed in the ceiling that I hang the wheels from. Grab the stem and seat post, flip it upside down and hang from wheels.

Never had an issue with any bike that way. Honestly though, hang it however you feel comfortable. You won't hurt the bike by standing it on a wheel, hanging from one wheel, upside down, right side up, whatever. You put much more stress on it riding than you ever could storing it, carbon or not

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Finally building up my 9.8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Why I so much prefer the Aluminum Stache. People love carbon and pimp its structural integrity, but there are stories like this all over regarding carbon failure. Nobody's going to buy a used / scuffed up carbon frame out of sheer paranoia. People buy scuffed up Alu frames all the time. (not to mention the attached pic of Trek's blessing to run a 140mm fork on Alu bikes but specifically not carbon)

The issue with the Krampus though...will it even com close to being a "fun" bike?

Steeper HTA, longer chainstays, shorter stack, 47 v 51mm rake, it just sounds like a total bummer.

Lets see your Stache official thread-capture.jpg
    Last edited by chelboed; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Stache is such an interesting and complex bike, after three plus months of almost daily use I'm still mesmerized by its characteristics. Never a polished wheely guy but on Stache I have become quite proficient now, so effortless. Been playing on the more extreme features and now more comfortable with height and length of bike and taking advantage of its stability to execute these features. Track stands can be forever and have been using this with bunny hopping to execute tight boulder features with bridges to get it done. Of all the multiples of bikes I have and,still own this,is my go to bike, so refreshing and unique ride.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris307 View Post
    Alright, so I'm having some first world problems over here. My stache unfortunately has been incredibly neglected this last season since I got my Salsa Beargrease, so I'm debating on a few things. Keeping it and turning it into my gravel bike, or selling it to fund a new project.

If I were to go gravel, I am thinking a rigid carbon firestarter fork from Salsa, and a different handlebar arrangement to accommodate long distances. Swap out rims and tires for something a little more on the skinny side to handle a 50c tire.

If I were to sell, I would probably go a different direction all together with a Salsa Fargo or a Jones Spaceframe to build up.

Ideas? It's a 2014 stache 7, and since it was my first "real" mountain bike, I would be pretty sad I think to see it go, but my riding style has also shifted. I mostly ride my fatbike and road bike at this point.

I had a Stache 8 when I got my Stache 9. Once I got onto the plus tires, as much as I really liked the Stache 8, the truth is that I hardly rode it any more. Part of me wishes I had kept it. It was an XXL and fit me better than the XL Stache 9 does, but I still like riding the Stache 9 better than the 8.

Rather than franken-gravel your Stache 8, I'd suggest letting someone else enjoy a fine 29er hardtail as it is. JMHO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I had a Stache 8 when I got my Stache 9. Once I got onto the plus tires, as much as I really liked the Stache 8, the truth is that I hardly rode it any more. Part of me wishes I had kept it. It was an XXL and fit me better than the XL Stache 9 does, but I still like riding the Stache 9 better than the 8.

Rather than franken-gravel your Stache 8, I'd suggest letting someone else enjoy a fine 29er hardtail as it is. JMHO.
    I vote keep it. Make it a gravel grinder now and maybe later you'll turn it into a flow trail slayer or rigid weight weenie or something.

I've kept my "magic frame" since 2008. It's a 26'er FRHT...but there's no way I can sell it, though I've considered it multiple times. Even though I build / buy other bikes...duallies, rigids, hardtails...this is the only one that I've kept and will never sell. It's been built as a Freeride hardtail, All Mountain HT, AM Rigid, XC Rigid, and now back to AM.

When you find that "Magic Bike", you have to keep it. It's hard to find that.

I was out on my Stache the other day and couldn't believe how much faster / more efficient it was on an ultra-rocky / tech trail than my 26'er. I took the 26'er out on the same trail and only rode 1/2 of it b/c it wore me out so much, hahaha. But it was so much stinkin' fun! I love that crazy old freeride hardtail. It's quick, snappy, poppy, manuals way easier than any wagon-wheeled bike on the market these days. It beats the crap out of me and wears me out, but it fits me like a glove and on flow trails...will annihilate modern duallies and big hoops.

I'm a huge proponent of keeping the magic bike now matter what "Progression" dictates.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    That's sort of what of what I was thinking. There are tons of high school mountain bike teams here in my area, so I figured this would be an absolute ripper for a kid wanting to learn on a dialed machine. I would hang onto it, but again, who knows how many times it would come out of the garage.

I vote keep it. Make it a gravel grinder now and maybe later you'll turn it into a flow trail slayer or rigid weight weenie or something.
    Also a good point to think about. It has the potential to be incredibly versatile and a fun bike to just straight up tinker with.

Pinehurst NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowtalker View Post
    Finally building up my 9.8.

Looks like a very solid build, nice grouping of parts!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Looks like a very solid build, nice grouping of parts!
    Thanks! Adding XTR rear derailleur and cassette with XT cranks and brakes. Iím excited to try the RS-1. Itís received mixed reviews so far. 45mm carbon rims on DT240s round out the build. Iím recovering from foot surgery, so Iíve got plenty of time to get everything dialed in before the maiden voyage, hopefully some time in December.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Adding XTR rear derailleur and cassette with XT cranks and brakes. Iím excited to try the RS-1. Itís received mixed reviews so far. 45mm carbon rims on DT240s round out the build. Iím recovering from foot surgery, so Iíve got plenty of time to get everything dialed in before the maiden voyage, hopefully some time in December.
    Let us know how you like it, Owning one, I wouldn't buy one again.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think the A2C is a little short for my own taste, but it's a clean looking setup. Very nice.

Pinehurst NC
    What rims did you lace those to? I'm not a Sram drivetrain guy... but I love their high end cassettes. I changed my drivetrain to XT and left the cassette, no issues at all. Love my XT brakes.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    What rims did you lace those to? I'm not a Sram drivetrain guy... but I love their high end cassettes. I changed my drivetrain to XT and left the cassette, no issues at all. What brakes are you going with?
    Iím experimenting with some carbon rims from China that I found on eBay. So far, Iím impressed. They built up very nicely, equal tension yielded very true wheels. Decided on XT brakes to save a little money. Iíve tried to buck Shimano by switching to Sram XO and avid ultimate brakes. After about a year, one of my brake levers failed and started sticking, so I eventually replaced with formula R-1s. Although I love those brakes, after setting up the XTs, I was amazed how simple the Shimano brakes were to set up. As for the SRAM drivetrain, it worked great, but I still prefer the feel of Shimano.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    After blowing up the rear hub a couple times,Trek put a new wheel on my 5. I pulled the stickers off the front so front and rear are a match. Ready to ride.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Exactly what I did!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If anyone has a rigid stache fork they don't want, let me know. Decided to keep mine and possibly go for a carbon front fork.

If someone doesn't have one, is a 100mm corrected fork going to be a big deal compared to the 120mm recon?

I am planning on using this for gravel next season as it just makes the most sense to keep what I have and make a few changes instead of getting a whole new bike. Plus this is still an amazing bike to ride. I won't deny that fact.
    Last edited by Chris307; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Why I so much prefer the Aluminum Stache. People love carbon and pimp its structural integrity, but there are stories like this all over regarding carbon failure. Nobody's going to buy a used / scuffed up carbon frame out of sheer paranoia. People buy scuffed up Alu frames all the time. (not to mention the attached pic of Trek's blessing to run a 140mm fork on Alu bikes but specifically not carbon)

The issue with the Krampus though...will it even com close to being a "fun" bike?

Steeper HTA, longer chainstays, shorter stack, 47 v 51mm rake, it just sounds like a total bummer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	1165610
    Yeah, I went with the carbon Stache because of color, weight, and head angle. Should have listened to my better judgement. I also have a '16 Stache 5. Like that bike a lot but still can feel the AL. I'm a steel fan. New AL frames have the carbon geo.. As for breakage. Aren't the seat stays still AL on the carbon bikes? But yeah. I've had 3 carbon frames and 2 have had seat stay cracks. This will be my last carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    But yeah. I've had 3 carbon frames and 2 have had seat stay cracks. This will be my last carbon frame.
    Funny, I cracked the last 2 aluminum frames where the top tube meets the seat stay. I'm hoping to not repeat that hassle with my carbon stache

Aluminum fatigues too, it may survive a blunt trauma better but...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, I went with the carbon Stache because of color, weight, and head angle. Should have listened to my better judgement. I also have a '16 Stache 5. Like that bike a lot but still can feel the AL. I'm a steel fan. New AL frames have the carbon geo.. As for breakage. Aren't the seat stays still AL on the carbon bikes? But yeah. I've had 3 carbon frames and 2 have had seat stay cracks. This will be my last carbon frame.
    Full carbon frame other than the dropouts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Aren't the seat stays still AL on the carbon bikes?
    Is it possible to have a carbon main frame and AL seat stays on a hardtail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by petejupp View Post
    Is it possible to have a carbon main frame and AL seat stays on a hardtail?
    It would be possible, but definitely not sensible. If you're going carbon, you'll go carbon. I've seen aluminum bikes with carbon stays to dampen the chatter, but never carbon bikes with ALU stays to increase trail harshness on purpose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, I went with the carbon Stache because of color, weight, and head angle. Should have listened to my better judgement.
    Yup! But now you know.

I also have a '16 Stache 5.
    What size?

Like that bike a lot but still can feel the AL. I'm a steel fan.
    I've been riding an aluminum 26" freeride hardtail since 2008. It's a Punisher for sure! But running the right tire pressure and saddle combo has made it a really fun ride. Moving over to the Stache was nearly like dual suspension for me. I think at 215-220# running 15psi on all of our local chunk is pretty cushy.
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20171102_105243242-picsay.jpg
    One trick you may think about...check out the WTB Pure saddle. It's a cushy son-of-a-gun! I've got one on my 26'er and will be getting one in Dec. for my Stache. Helps a lot. If you spend a ton of time in the saddle spinning, it might be a little over the top. I know if I do road rides with it, it kinda hurts my inner thigh tendons and muscles a bit, but I spend enough time out of the saddle mountain biking, that it's really a perfect combo for the discipline on my bike. If I were spending more time in the saddle, I'd move to a Koda or Volt 142mm.

As for breakage. Aren't the seat stays still AL on the carbon bikes?
    Nope.

I've had 3 carbon frames and 2 have had seat stay cracks. This will be my last carbon frame.
    There goes the theory that carbon is stronger. My sentiments exactly. Alu / Steel / Ti FTW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well, I'm a little heartbroken. I ordered a set of Hope Pro-4 / Sapim / Arc-40 wheels totally custom colors for my Stache...been waiting 2x weeks. I got notification that they were shipped 2-days ago. I received them last night and low and behold...they were laced to 27.5 rims, LOL!

So beautiful...yet so sad. He's sending me a return label and going to re-lace them. Hope it doesn't take another 2x weeks. I'll be insane when this is all done.
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20171109_164040533-picsay.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Freightrain View Post
    ok,its been done !! completed the upgrades on my 2018 Stache 7..have about 80 miles on her now and completely surprised and happy with the ride..Upgrades ...Chromag Squarewave XL grips,Hope Pro4 orange hubs,Raceface Arc 40 wheels,carbon seat post,Raceface 800 mm orange bars and 70mm bontrager line stemAttachment 1155115Attachment 1155116Attachment 1155117
    Looks good! I built a set of ARC 40 rims for mine too, really liked the difference losing 10mm made. Enjoy that bike!
    Charlie and AZ:

You still happy with the decision to go Arc40 instead of 45?

The 40 is actually 40 inside dimension with a 45O.D. compared to the a Duroc 50 which is 50 O.D. (46 I.D.)

So actually it's a an i40 vs i46. Probably not much difference? 3mm on each side.

(I'm just making sure since I've got to send mine back to be laced to the proper rims.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I can't speak for them, but I have Arc40s as well and no regrets. Mines a 16 so it had the mulfuts to compare to, but I'd do 40s again if I need to replace them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is anybody in norcal willing to let me try out their 19.5 Stache? I'd like to try before I buy and there aren't any shops with demo bikes nearby.

I'd be more than willing to buy you a case of your favorite beer or whatever you like.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Put some sticky rubber on mine for the coming bad weather days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Here is my second Stache. I had a Ď16 Stache 7 then went full suspension for a while. Now Iím back on a Stache again. I bought the frame and built it up with GX Eagle and rigid carbon fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    What size?
    Medium. 17.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Charlie and AZ:

You still happy with the decision to go Arc40 instead of 45?

The 40 is actually 40 inside dimension with a 45O.D. compared to the a Duroc 50 which is 50 O.D. (46 I.D.)

So actually it's a an i40 vs i46. Probably not much difference? 3mm on each side.

(I'm just making sure since I've got to send mine back to be laced to the proper rims.)
    It is noticeable difference. The whole bike rides different than anything you have ridden.

Charlie and AZ, just curious on the weight of your Arc 40 wheels sets? Considering the same wheels but also kicking around trying the light bicycle carbon wheel sets that are about 1750 grams.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gritnteeth View Post
    It is noticeable difference. The whole bike rides different than anything you have ridden.

Charlie and AZ, just curious on the weight of your Arc 40 wheels sets? Considering the same wheels but also kicking around trying the light bicycle carbon wheel sets that are about 1750 grams.

So you're telling me that the difference between i40 and i45 is "different than anything you have ridden"?

Enlighten me. I'm a bit scared.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    So you're telling me that the difference between i40 and i45 is "different than anything you have ridden"?

Enlighten me. I'm a bit scared.
    Whoopsy! Somehow the first paragraph in my post was quoted by me by accident. I do not have any experience with the difference between the 40s and 45s ride characteristics. I just wanted to to know the weight of your Arc 40 wheelset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I know this is a super longshot but I'm looking for a 2018 alloy Stache frame size 18.5. I don't have a preference for black or silver. (I'll go buy a lottery ticket now)

In all seriousness, if someone is looking to sell just a frame, please PM me to see if we can work something out. I do not have an interest in purchasing a complete at this time - just don't want to waste anyone's time. If I head that direction, I'll buy a new 7 and upgrade from there.

I have an itch to add a Stache to the stable for the fast, flowy trails I ride most of the time. Thanks!
    Last edited by SCTerp; 1 Week Ago at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Joining the club here. Just picked up a 2018 Stache 5. Coming from a 2001 Kona hardtail, it will be a rather different experience. The test ride was eye opening!

A quick question, more from curiosity than anything. Have the Chupacabra's been rebranded as XR2s? The tires sure look like Chupacabras, but are wearing the XR2 logo. Pics are below.

The new ride:
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_2549.jpg

The tires:
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_2547.jpg

The logos
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_2548.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by i_jaydee View Post
    Joining the club here. Just picked up a 2018 Stache 5. Coming from a 2001 Kona hardtail, it will be a rather different experience. The test ride was eye opening!

A quick question, more from curiosity than anything. Have the Chupacabra's been rebranded as XR2s? The tires sure look like Chupacabras, but are wearing the XR2 logo. Pics are below.

The new ride:

Name:	IMG_2549.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	1167601

The tires:

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1167600

The logos

Name:	IMG_2548.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	1167599
    Yes.
    Trek is releasing a few new 3" tires. If they ever make it to the dealers, lol
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes they are. They just hit aftermarket stock to US dealers this morning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Chupacabra was a cool name. Why change it??

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Chupacabra was a cool name. Why change it??
    Yeah, wtf, those XR2's look just like Chupas! Probably because they are releasing the XR4 and SE4 in plus sizes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by i_jaydee View Post

The new ride:

Name:	IMG_2549.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	1167601

The tires:

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1167600

The logos

Name:	IMG_2548.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	1167599
    Just test rode that same bike yesterday. Completely blew me away. It will be my Christmas present

FWIW Iím 6í2Ē with kinda long arms I guess and the XL was a perfect fit. I think Iíve been steered towards a L at other bike shops because thatís what they have in stock. This shop was the first one that said nope you need an XL (specifically referring to the Stache), waited a month for them to order one in, and the fit was perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHutch View Post
    Just test rode that same bike yesterday. Completely blew me away. It will be my Christmas present

FWIW Iím 6í2Ē with kinda long arms I guess and the XL was a perfect fit. I think Iíve been steered towards a L at other bike shops because thatís what they have in stock. This shop was the first one that said nope you need an XL (specifically referring to the Stache), waited a month for them to order one in, and the fit was perfect.
    I'm 6'4" and have 9.7 xl. It's a great fit, I think you should be perfect on that frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    I'm 6'4" and have 9.7 xl. It's a great fit, I think you should be perfect on that frame.
    i'm 6'1 looking at a Large or XL, there's no dealers in my area who has either of those sizes in. Can anyone advise?
    I'm looking at a frame only(carbon) when i decide to purchase with maybe a short stem, 50mm
    cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHutch View Post

I'm 5'11", and fairly average in all dimensions, and the L fit me perfectly. XL should be great for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by goffy View Post
    i'm 6'1 looking at a Large or XL, there's no dealers in my area who has either of those sizes in. Can anyone advise?
    I'm looking at a frame only(carbon) when i decide to purchase with maybe a short stem, 50mm
    cheers
    You're going to be right on that margin where either would probably work. I'm 6'1" and run a Large frame with 60mm stem. At times I wish I had an XL, but most of the time, I'm happy with the L. I ride less XC, and more aggressive trail, so the large fits my riding style a little better.

My problem is that I've got a shorter torso but long legs, so I don't like a long reach, but I like a tall stack. If I ran a Large, I'd have to go with a 35mm stem or maybe even a Dent.

Australia
    I had a few things done to the bike this week and still getting a click/ticking from somewhere on the frame... New Wheels MFG BB (Press and thread), new CC 40 heatset, chainring bolts tightened, seatpost greased, saddle rails cleaned, pedals tightened.

The tick is 2 or 3 times per crank rotation and fairly consistent, not necessarily under load either. Any ideas?

Those of you that have had success by tightening the rear axle, how tight did you go with the allen key? Is it the allen key on both sides or just one of them? Cheers
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    I had a few things done to the bike this week and still getting a click/ticking from somewhere on the frame... New Wheels MFG BB (Press and thread), new CC 40 heatset, chainring bolts tightened, seatpost greased, saddle rails cleaned, pedals tightened.

The tick is 2 or 3 times per crank rotation and fairly consistent, not necessarily under load either. Any ideas?

Those of you that have had success by tightening the rear axle, how tight did you go with the allen key? Is it the allen key on both sides or just one of them? Cheers
    I had a clicking too during crank rotation discovered it was my left side Mallet.

Australia
    Ok cool. I'll re-grease the pedals to be sure. I haven't touched them since installing 10 months ago.
    29+ Stache

mtbr member

Next step would be to pull the seat post, clean it and the tube really well, and put a light coat of grease on the post before putting it back in. Make sure the split in the clamp lines up with the split in the tube and chinch up it decently. I had best results on my Reverb dropper using carbon grip assembly paste. I hate the creaking inherent in this aluminum frame.
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team/Eagle 1x12
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team #2
    2017 Stache 7
    2016 Boone RSL
    2016 CAAD 12

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm an OCD Rider who will completely disassemble the entire bike to find a foreign noise.

I've had 3 different ticks on this bike.

1. Headset: loosen, add generous red military grease to bearings/seats, light grease on steerer tube/stem clamp/handlebars clamp.

2. Strangle hold: light grease, torque main books to 200 in lbs, hex bolts to nm.

3. OEM saddle. This cheap saddle creaks and sends the tick noise down the seat tube through the frame. Replace with a good saddle.

My aluminum bike is noise free for my 220# OCD riding.

mtbr member
    I've been drooling over these bikes since they first came out. I was checking out the 18 5 today. You get a lot more for your dollar these days. Someday!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quietest bike I have ever owned with almost 4 hard months of riding. Weird that some are problematic.

mtbr member
    Quietest bike I have ever owned with almost 4 hard months of riding. Weird that some are problematic.
    I have had mine since June 3rd and put 1500 trail miles on it by July 4th. Well over 6k on it now. Replaced a few cogs and BB last month.
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team/Eagle 1x12
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team #2
    2017 Stache 7
    2016 Boone RSL
    2016 CAAD 12

Australia
    @techfersure @ethierjung @chelboed

Thanks! My OCD can't deal with ticking either. The first thing I did (which was also the easiest) was take off the pedals and re-grease. There was still good grease on them but I re-did them anyway. I rode up and down the street outside my house and it was silent.

The true test will be on the next ride, as road tests aren't the best. Hopefully it stays quiet. Thanks for the other areas to spot-check, I'll work through them if the tick comes back
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Wheels MFG BB (Press and thread),
    Assuming you have the aluminum frame? If not, how did you get the center sleeve to work with the carbon frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Thanks! My OCD can't deal with ticking either. The first thing I did (which was also the easiest) was take off the pedals and re-grease. There was still good grease on them but I re-did them anyway. I rode up and down the street outside my house and it was silent.

The true test will be on the next ride, as road tests aren't the best. Hopefully it stays quiet. Thanks for the other areas to spot-check, I'll work through them if the tick comes back
    2-things that help the most.

1. ride in the fall...leaf noise kills all
    2. Hope hubs-loud where it should be and soundin' MEAN!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by teamplayr View Post
    Assuming you have the aluminum frame? If not, how did you get the center sleeve to work with the carbon frame?
    Just curious - what is the issue with running a threaded PF BB on the carbon Stache?

I'm looking at a '18 Stache and while leaning toward alloy, I'm also considering carbon since that's available as a frame only option.

I absolutely despise PF but the threaded PF BB options have me looking past it on the Stache.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

What wheels are on the bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post
    Just curious - what is the issue with running a threaded PF BB on the carbon Stache?

I'm looking at a '18 Stache and while leaning toward alloy, I'm also considering carbon since that's available as a frame only option.

I absolutely despise PF but the threaded PF BB options have me looking past it on the Stache.

Thanks.
    Carbon frame has the same seatpost bend as aluminum but I guess itís the carbon mold or they used extra carbon to reinforce but if the center sleeve is any larger than the typical SRAM pressfit BB sleeve, then the sleeve will come in contact with that area, preventing the bottom bracket to go in straight. I have king cups but had to toss the sleeve because it didnít go in straight. All the thread pressfit B.B. I have seen are about the same diameter as cups

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Carbon frame has the same seatpost bend as aluminum but I guess itís the carbon mold or they used extra carbon to reinforce but if the center sleeve is any larger than the typical SRAM pressfit BB sleeve, then the sleeve will come in contact with that area, preventing the bottom bracket to go in straight. I have king cups but had to toss the sleeve because it didnít go in straight. All the thread pressfit B.B. I have seen are about the same diameter as cups
    Really helpful - thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Quote Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
    josh8 brings up a great point. My main bearings made a God-Aweful tick noise all of the sudden. Trek warrantied a whole new wheel.

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post

Thanks.
    Yep, I've got the Alu frame. Believe it or not, the fact that I can't fit a Wheels MFG BB into the carbon frame is enough to make me not buy one (as silly as that sounds!)

2-things that help the most.

1. ride in the fall...leaf noise kills all
    2. Hope hubs-loud where it should be and soundin' MEAN!!!!!
    Haha, my replacement hubs will be Hopes! I've got a Nextie/Hope distributor nearby that will build me a set of carbon hoops with Pro4's for AU$1380 (around US$1050) which is good by Australian standards.

Quote Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
    I'm still rocking the Mulefuts. The rear rim needs a re-tape as sealant has started coming through one of the bloody cutouts.

josh8 brings up a great point. My main bearings made a God-Aweful tick noise all of the sudden. Trek warrantied a whole new wheel.
    Cheers mate, I'll keep an eye on it!
    29+ Stache

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435

Members who have read this thread: 586