Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,200 of 3485
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    rwitte, or anyone else with a 9.7, what rear skewer are they being shipped with?

I have a DT Swiss in my 7 and was wondering what all I need to keep off of it when I buy a 9.7. I know the 9.6 came with the DTS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellyr1963 View Post
    Got back in town just in time to pick up the new ride, behold the 2018 Stache 7. Black on black baby!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Today was the completion of my 2nd ride on my new 2018 Trek Stache 7..I have 30 miles on it and have been giggling about the ride. It is hands down the funnest bike I have ridden(been mountain biking since 1993) . I sold my Giant Trance x 1 full custom build and purchased this Stache...going from full suspension I thought I wouldnt like it,actually the opposite I Love the RIDE !!! Now im older(48) and not to much into the super techy,or crazy bombing the fun lines any more,but I am still so impressed with the ride. Im 6'5 and considered a Clyde/Rockcrusher..and the ride is very nice !! I can only compare this ride to my Gary Fisher RIG SS that I liked to ride,the Stache ride reminds me of the Rig SS only with gears..So with my buddy who is 6'8 and my son who is 6'5 that are riding 2016 Stache 7s..and me with the 2018 Stache..I am looking forward to sharing photos of all three of us riding the Gold Canyon trails in Arizona real soon.. I am doing some upgrades to complete the changes I want..Orange Pro4 Hope Hubs laced with black spokes on a pair of Raceface Arc 40s,70mm Bontrager Line stem and Raceface Atlas Orange 35mmx800mm handle bars which should be completed next week.

Pinehurst NC
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Freightrain View Post
    Today was the completion of my 2nd ride on my new 2018 Trek Stache 7..I have 30 miles on it and have been giggling about the ride. It is hands down the funnest bike I have ridden(been mountain biking since 1993) . I sold my Giant Trance x 1 full custom build and purchased this Stache...going from full suspension I thought I wouldnt like it,actually the opposite I Love the RIDE !!! Now im older(48) and not to much into the super techy,or crazy bombing the fun lines any more,but I am still so impressed with the ride. Im 6'5 and considered a Clyde/Rockcrusher..and the ride is very nice !! I can only compare this ride to my Gary Fisher RIG SS that I liked to ride,the Stache ride reminds me of the Rig SS only with gears..So with my buddy who is 6'8 and my son who is 6'5 that are riding 2016 Stache 7s..and me with the 2018 Stache..I am looking forward to sharing photos of all three of us riding the Gold Canyon trails in Arizona real soon.. I am doing some upgrades to complete the changes I want..Orange Pro4 Hope Hubs laced with black spokes on a pair of Raceface Arc 40s,70mm Bontrager Line stem and Raceface Atlas Orange 35mmx800mm handle bars which should be completed next week.
    You might want to consider a 50mm stem, I did that over the stock stem and the bike really came alive
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx44 View Post
    rwitte, or anyone else with a 9.7, what rear skewer are they being shipped with?

I have a DT Swiss in my 7 and was wondering what all I need to keep off of it when I buy a 9.7. I know the 9.6 came with the DTS.
    Mine came with a DT TA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Did my first ride today on my new Stache 9.7... what a bike! I love it!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey all, been riding my '16 Stache 9 for a few months now (bought it back in June). Finally got the fit dialed in with correct handlebar, stem and grip combo as I was experiencing hand fatigue and numbness. Anyhow, I have really enjoyed this bike as a second rig to my Fuel EX 9. My trails have been very wet this summer. They are very rooty and covered with leaves and I have been struggling with traction on the Chupacabras. As great as they are for weight savings, I did not feel confident on them and wanted something that was a little closer to my Hans Dampfs on my Fuel with side knobs. LBS recommended DHR 2 in 29x3 front and rear. After two long rides over the weekend, my legs were really feeling either the added weight, or possibly the drag — but the grip and traction was confidence inspiring as can be. Do you guys have any recommendations on a different back tire maybe to cut some weight, but still get decent traction while keeping the DHR up front perhaps? I have DT 350's with 54 tooth upgrade, and the stock Mulefoot 50's but Im not opposed to swapping for a lighter rim and keeping the DHR's if anyone has suggestions there as well. Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I did the same but with a 35mm stem and it did the same

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    You might want to consider a 50mm stem, I did that over the stock stem and the bike really came alive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinclassic View Post
    Hey all, been riding my '16 Stache 9 for a few months now (bought it back in June). Finally got the fit dialed in with correct handlebar, stem and grip combo as I was experiencing hand fatigue and numbness. Anyhow, I have really enjoyed this bike as a second rig to my Fuel EX 9. My trails have been very wet this summer. They are very rooty and covered with leaves and I have been struggling with traction on the Chupacabras. As great as they are for weight savings, I did not feel confident on them and wanted something that was a little closer to my Hans Dampfs on my Fuel with side knobs. LBS recommended DHR 2 in 29x3 front and rear. After two long rides over the weekend, my legs were really feeling either the added weight, or possibly the drag — but the grip and traction was confidence inspiring as can be. Do you guys have any recommendations on a different back tire maybe to cut some weight, but still get decent traction while keeping the DHR up front perhaps? I have DT 350's with 54 tooth upgrade, and the stock Mulefoot 50's but Im not opposed to swapping for a lighter rim and keeping the DHR's if anyone has suggestions there as well. Thank you in advance.
    Maxxis DHF front.
    Maxxis Chronicle rear.

Added just under 2lbs to my 9.6

The rear tire is nice and rolls fast. not as well as the chupa's but it stays together a lot longer.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Chupacabra front & Bomboloni rear.
    neg rep for contributing to thread deterioration and posting useless comment. - wadafuq.

www.fattiremassive.com

mtbr member
    Isn't 50mm the stock stem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I got a good deal on mine at $999, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go XL instead of L. I'm right on the fence at 6'1.5" and fit the Large fine, but the stock stem is 70mm. I'd rather go a little longer in the cockpit and run a 35-50mm.

But with the stock stem, it does fit well.

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20170812_164259887-picsay.jpg
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20170812_164312302-picsay.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yes 50mm was stock for 2018 Stache 7 went to 70mm and it feels just about right for me
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMrown View Post
    Isn't 50mm the stock stem?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    2017 Stache 7...the Matte Green one. Pretty much stock besides SLX M7000 brakes, Race Face Atlas pedals, and Oury grips...and a bunch of mounts for lights and Garmin computer.

The stock chainstay protector fell off (probably due to repeated washings). Lizard Skins chainstay protector...Large or Medium? Anyone know which one will fit?

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Imprezd View Post
    2017 Stache 7...the Matte Green one. Pretty much stock besides SLX M7000 brakes, Race Face Atlas pedals, and Oury grips...and a bunch of mounts for lights and Garmin computer.

The stock chainstay protector fell off (probably due to repeated washings). Lizard Skins chainstay protector...Large or Medium? Anyone know which one will fit?
    I pulled mine off before I'd even ridden the bike and fitted this stuff:

Frameskin Wrap - Frameskin

It's been on for 18 months and still as perfect as day 1.
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    I pulled mine off before I'd even ridden the bike and fitted this stuff:

Frameskin Wrap - Frameskin
    It's been on for 18 months and still as perfect as day 1.
    I might try that out. I have an inner tube on mine. Enjoy the silence over the bumps.
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team/Eagle 1x12
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team #2
    2017 Stache 7
    2016 Boone RSL
    2016 CAAD 12

Pinehurst NC
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Freightrain View Post
    yes 50mm was stock for 2018 Stache 7 went to 70mm and it feels just about right for me
    Oh, sorry! My 16' Stache 9 was an 80mm. Glad they shortened them up, it really is more playful
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by ethierjung View Post
    I might try that out. I have an inner tube on mine. Enjoy the silence over the bumps.
    Yeah it's great. It's like a tennis racket grip but stretchier.

"Stretching and overlapping the wrap activates the self fusing properties of the tape. Repeat this 'stretch and wrap' action until you get to the end of the roll and then press your thumb firmly on the end to bond it to the wrap beneath."

Literally no dirt can get behind it either
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Just picked this up from a local guy. Absolutely LOVE it!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The Stache was a curiosity of mine. As I posted above, I got mine for a song at $999, so I wasn't going to be out a ton of it didn't work out.

Something I've noticed about the different build levels of Stache it's the fairly consistent weight. The $15xx.00 base model is 29.8# and the nearly $5k is only a couple lbs lighter. That's generally not the case in the mountain bike world on a hardtail that spans from a $1.5k Alu- $5k carbon.

That said, I feel that I can get a really decent glimpse of how the top end version performs on my base model because the meat and potatoes of the bike is the geo & rubber on the ground. Other than the longer TT , the geo is the same, and running tubeless, the rubber is the same.

Overall impression so far is good. It's slower than my 26" hardtail until I hit the chunk...then it glides.

I had access to a new full XT m8000 drivetrain (cranks obviously wouldn't fit) and Ice Tech brake set, so I bumped my bike up to a Stache 5.8 IMO.

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20170826_123355682-picsay.jpg
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20170826_123407168-picsay.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_20170826_123416434-picsay.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_20170826_123423757-picsay.jpg

The refreshing thing about it is the Duroc wheelset. Usually I spend some money on a nice Hope hub wheelset for my bike, but if you look around, you're not going to find a huge difference for 29+ wheelset just yet.

Stan's Hugo rims are 52 but they are heavier and I've heard complaints.
    Mulfut rims are heavier even without the rubber rim strip.
    Line+wheelset is $800 and you're only dropping less than 1/2lbs.
    Line Pro 40 wheelset is $1200 & dropping down to a 40mm from 50. (Downgrade IMO for a 200#rider)
    Hope Pro 4 Derby Carbon wheelset would be a fair upgrade, but holy crap...the price!

Enve would be even better, but even holier crap!

Most of the sub $1k options are either heavier or narrower, so I'm pretty happy with Duroc 50 for now.

So how bout the fork? It's lighter than many of it's more expensive peers. The damping is effective. The lockout works as designed. It's not getting pushed through the chunk at world cup speeds, so for now the 32mm stanchions really don't bother me. I even locked the brakes, turned the bars 90' and rocked it back'n'forth. Not a lot of flex there at all.

Sure, a Pike is better, but the Machete is smooth, compresses when it hits a bump, and rebounds appropriately. Small bump compliance is not nearly as crucial on a bike like this because the small bumps are devoured by the low pressure balloons that it rolls on.

Even the stock drivetrain and brakes were smooth and effective and my bike only lost 1/2lbs when I replaced the m300 brakes and Deore drivetrain with full on XT m8000 1x11 / m8000 brakes.

Decent entry level ride for sure. Best bike for a thousand bucks I've ever had. Best hardtail under $2k IMO and more fun than a slew of duallies.
    Last edited by chelboed; 08-27-2017 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    was it the medium for 1100$? If so that was a steal. Very nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by PastorJeff View Post
    Just picked this up from a local guy. Absolutely LOVE it!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Stranglehold Dropout Issues

Has anyone had issues with their Stranglehold Dropouts on the 29+ models. I bought my '16 Stache 9 back in June and there was always a slight clicking noise which got progressively worse over time. It was something I was willing to put up with but it worsened, because more frequent, much louder and I could feel it through the pedals. Took it to the LBS and they cleaned the headset regreased it etc, tore apart the crankset, cleaned, regreased etc — still clicking. After completely being baffled and able to recreate the noise by flexing the frame, the LBS finally called Trek warranty dept, and warranty guy said it's the dropouts. He had them pull them out, clean, grease and retorque. The noise was finally gone...well for 20 minutes. 20 minutes into my ride I enjoyed silence, but one minute later I could feel it in the pedals, and then the click-click noise started up again as bad, or worse than before. Took it right to LBS after the ride and they said they are going to contact Trek about a warranty claim. Just curious if anyone else has had issues and if so how was it handled by Trek?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow poke View Post
    was it the medium for 1100$? If so that was a steal. Very nice!!
    I saw that one too. That medium was a good deal. This is a LG that I worked a trade out for.
    Actually rode on some local trails for a bit today.....LOVE the way it rides!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Has anyone had issues with their Stranglehold Dropouts on the 29+ models. I bought my '16 Stache 9 back in June and there was always a slight clicking noise which got progressively worse over time. It was something I was willing to put up with but it worsened, because more frequent, much louder and I could feel it through the pedals. Took it to the LBS and they cleaned the headset regreased it etc, tore apart the crankset, cleaned, regreased etc — still clicking. After completely being baffled and able to recreate the noise by flexing the frame, the LBS finally called Trek warranty dept, and warranty guy said it's the dropouts. He had them pull them out, clean, grease and retorque. The noise was finally gone...well for 20 minutes. 20 minutes into my ride I enjoyed silence, but one minute later I could feel it in the pedals, and then the click-click noise started up again as bad, or worse than before. Took it right to LBS after the ride and they said they are going to contact Trek about a warranty claim. Just curious if anyone else has had issues and if so how was it handled by Trek?
    I replaced my BB, cleaned dropouts numerous times, sanded the end of my XO hubs, and bought a Dt Swiss TA while chasing a creak in my S7. Pulled the headset apart and cleaned it and the creak went away...for about 20 minutes. I replaced it with a Cane Creek 110 and its silent now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I replaced my BB, cleaned dropouts numerous times, sanded the end of my XO hubs, and bought a Dt Swiss TA while chasing a creak in my S7. Pulled the headset apart and cleaned it and the creak went away...for about 20 minutes. I replaced it with a Cane Creek 110 and its silent now.
    Thank you jinx44 for the insight. Last week they took apart the headset, cleaned it, regreased it etc. After determining it wasn't the headset, the next logical sources were the dropper seat post, and crankset / BB. They pulled everything and thought they were going to put in a new BB as the presumption was a bad BB bearing. Once that was done, the clicking was still there and Trek advised on the dropouts causing the issue. Per Trek's guidance the dropouts were fully removed, the frame was scrubbed and dropouts were re-installed and re-torqued. This did seem to fix the noise for 20 mins before returning with a vengeance. When I brought it back to the LBS he said, I'm not surprised, and they thought is was going to be a quick fix. Longer than a 20 min fix, but they didn't think it was going to resolve the issue. At this point they said they're going to put in a warranty claim with Trek. They haven't seen any dropout issues in the shop, so they said it's definitely possible that I have just had some bad luck. I asked what the next steps are and depending on how Trek handles it, I assume they could replace the just dropouts, or quite possibly replace the frame and dropouts together. I'll keep you guys posted on things as they progress. Bike is at the shop awaiting Trek's decision, and I am fortunate enough to have a second bike as the weather here is amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thank you jinx44 for the insight. Last week they took apart the headset, cleaned it, regreased it etc. After determining it wasn't the headset, the next logical sources were the dropper seat post, and crankset / BB. They pulled everything and thought they were going to put in a new BB as the presumption was a bad BB bearing. Once that was done, the clicking was still there and Trek advised on the dropouts causing the issue. Per Trek's guidance the dropouts were fully removed, the frame was scrubbed and dropouts were re-installed and re-torqued. This did seem to fix the noise for 20 mins before returning with a vengeance. When I brought it back to the LBS he said, I'm not surprised, and they thought is was going to be a quick fix. Longer than a 20 min fix, but they didn't think it was going to resolve the issue. At this point they said they're going to put in a warranty claim with Trek. They haven't seen any dropout issues in the shop, so they said it's definitely possible that I have just had some bad luck. I asked what the next steps are and depending on how Trek handles it, I assume they could replace the just dropouts, or quite possibly replace the frame and dropouts together. I'll keep you guys posted on things as they progress. Bike is at the shop awaiting Trek's decision, and I am fortunate enough to have a second bike as the weather here is amazing.
    I actually had a similar clicking noise. I talked to the mechanic and he suggested I remove and lube the dropouts. When I took the nondrive side apart, I saw that the big 200in/lb nut was installed Cross threaded. No possible way to get it torqued to 200. They warrantied me out a new dropout.

Next ride was fairly quiet...but kinda wet so I washed it. The next ride was click-City. It wasn't when I sat and pedaled, so I ruled out the seat post and saddle.

I finally decided to check the headset. As soon as I started to loosen it, it made a "creeeeaaak" noise. I knew I had found it. The sealed bearing cup had a little bit of surface rust from the water. (I don't blast my bearings either)

I lightly greased the surfaces like I would in a fresh build of my own and it's now silent.

So my own issues were more than one source...but with this design, it could be anything.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I chased a creak in my 2016 Stache 9 for a while. It was worst when I was climbing steeper hills. The harder I pedaled, the louder it was.

I thought it was BB/crankset related. Replaced the BB with a threaded unit from Wheels Mfg, and tightened the chainring interface while replacing the stock chainring with a 28t direct mount chainring.

Still creaked.

Disassembled the Stanglehold dropouts, cleaned and reassembled, and tightened the rear through-axle as tightly as I could. Creak was gone.

It has been mostly silent for several months, but every one in a while lately, I get a tiny protest when I put the wood to it during a tough climb. Might be time to do some maintenance.

lurking no more
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    I got a good deal on mine at $999, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go XL instead of L. I'm right on the fence at 6'1.5" and fit the Large fine, but the stock stem is 70mm. I'd rather go a little longer in the cockpit and run a 35-50mm.

But with the stock stem, it does fit well.
    what's Your inseam

Dave

2015 Stache 5

On the clicking noise, I have a loud click once in a while, nothing that is annoying me though. But once when I took it to the shop I bought it from the mech noticed it too. We didn't do anything about it b/c it was so intermittent. Maybe I have a place to start looking now. I'm going to check my Strangehold dpouts for dryness and torque. Thanks guys!!!

Bike
    Stock wheels, tubeless Chupra's, XT shifter and R derailleur, stock brakes, Carbon post, carbon bars, Ergon grips, sometimes a 29" Fox fork, mostly original fork. Love it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-browns-ranch-crested-saguaro-b.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-browns-ranch-coyote-canyon-up2a.jpg  

I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    For anyone with a Stache, how much do the SUNringle Duroc 50 wheels weigh? Wondering what sort of weight loss I would see by going to Line Pro 40 wheels or something equivalent. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DavezFever View Post
    For anyone with a Stache, how much do the SUNringle Duroc 50 wheels weigh? Wondering what sort of weight loss I would see by going to Line Pro 40 wheels or something equivalent. Thanks.
    Quick Google search says the duroc 40s are 2000g, the line pros are 1625g

So a bit over 3/4lb, probably closer to a lb with the 50s? I've read running tubeless gains about the same weight reduction or more

My stache 9.7 got delayed again... Bike being shipped from CA instead of 20 miles down the road in WI and may be here next week at earliest

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nocnypatrol.org View Post
    what's Your inseam
    34"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    Quick Google search says the duroc 40s are 2000g, the line pros are 1625g

So a bit over 3/4lb, probably closer to a lb with the 50s? I've read running tubeless gains about the same weight reduction or more

My stache 9.7 got delayed again... Bike being shipped from CA instead of 20 miles down the road in WI and may be here next week at earliest

To those curious about the stock Duroc wheelset on the Stache. I think if you look up the info on SunRingle's site...it's not going to be accurate. Look at the stock hubs on the Stache. They're generic and likely heavier than the SunRingle Duroc wheelset.

That said, the most important weight savings is going to be out on the end at the rim...those are 655g. But then there's spokes and nipples which are also rotating weight. I doubt the spokes on the stock Stache are DT competition or the like. I haven't weighed mine yet, but I'll bet you the stock Stache wheelset with Duroc rims is 2200-2400g. (estimate)

The hubs will be dead weight because they are so close to the axle and you won't "feel" them as "rotating weight"...but you could probably still save a bit of weight by going to something like a true SunRingle wheelset...or maybe the Stan's Major at 2000g.

If I'm completely wrong on this and the stock Stache wheelset is actually 2000g as well (unlikely) then you are looking at 1/2lbs savings with the Line + wheelset and a pound savings with the Line Pro 40.

Either way...$800 for 1/2lbs or $1200 for 1lbs savings is really crap.

Too bad Enve is so daggum expensive, because that's where you will turn the Stache into an XC rocket.

phalkon30: generally going tubeless would save you a ton of freakin' weight on something like this...except when I pulled out my Bontrager tubes, they were lighter than I had anticipated. (I think around 290g each) They use a thinner tube on the Stache. Don't forget the 4oz of sealant that you have to put back into the tire. 4oz of water weighs around 1/4lbs. So you're trading your 580g of tubes for 230g of sealant which is significant, but not as jaw-dropping as I was hoping for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    For anyone with a Stache...
    I actually had a similar clicking noise. I talked to the mechanic and he suggested I remove...
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I chased a creak in my 2016 Stache 9...
    Thank you jinx44 for the insight. Last week ...
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast View Post
    On the clicking noise, I have a loud click...

I took mine out again last night for a quick spin. Dropped off some small ledges. Stood up and honked on it.

Still silent.
    Last edited by chelboed; 09-08-2017 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I won't quote all that, but thanks for the follow up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What model 110 cane creek did you use? I want to upgrade the headset on my 2016 Stache 7 when I install my new Pike fork. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Cane Creek 110 IS41/28.6 IS52/40 is the one I recently had installed on my 2016 Stache 9. My OEM headset was in good shape but I was chasing a creak as well. Replaced BB with threaded version from Wheels Mfg. I also had clicking from the dropper seat post. For the trails I ride, it really wasn't needed so I swapped it with a carbon fiber one from Syntace. I'm silent now except for a very slight and minimal creak when I mash it on steep climbing. (I'm a large rider btw) That's not every time either so I'm very satisfied now. The only thing I hear now is my hub ratchet and my heavy breathing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    To those curious about the stock Duroc wheelset on the Stache. I think if you look up the info on SunRingle's site...it's not going to be accurate. Look at the stock hubs on the Stache. They're generic and likely heavier than the SunRingle Duroc wheelset.

That said, the most important weight savings is going to be out on the end at the rim...those are 655g. But then there's spokes and nipples which are also rotating weight. I doubt the spokes on the stock Stache are DT competition or the like. I haven't weighed mine yet, but I'll bet you the stock Stache wheelset with Duroc rims is 2200-2400g. (estimate)

The hubs will be dead weight because they are so close to the axle and you won't "feel" them as "rotating weight"...but you could probably still save a bit of weight by going to something like a true SunRingle wheelset...or maybe the Stan's Major at 2000g.

If I'm completely wrong on this and the stock Stache wheelset is actually 2000g as well (unlikely) then you are looking at 1/2lbs savings with the Line + wheelset and a pound savings with the Line Pro 40.

Too bad Enve is so daggum expensive, because that's where you will turn the Stache into an XC rocket.

phalkon30: generally going tubeless would save you a ton of freakin' weight on something like this...except when I pulled out my Bontrager tubes, they were lighter than I had anticipated. (I think around 290g each) They use a thinner tube on the Stache. Don't forget the 4oz of sealant that you have to put back into the tire. 4oz of water weighs around 1/4lbs. So you're trading your 580g of tubes for 230g of sealant which is significant, but not as jaw-dropping as I was hoping for.
    I have a 1560 gr carbon wheel set on my Slash 9.9 and since nearly two weeks now the Stache 9.7 with the stock wheels. Put out the very heavy tubes (over 700 gr both) and riding them tubeless. Ok, you cannot really compare these two bikes, but I don´t have the feeling that the Stache is that much slower on the uphill than the Slash. But I agree that the Stache has so much more potential with a lighter wheel set and - for example - a Sram XX1 Eagle group. But this would cost a lot of additional money and for me personally I would only do that if the Stache would be my first bike (which is the Slash at the moment). But the chances are high for the Stache getting my preferred bike: it´s so much fun, so fast and uncomplicated and after my first rides I agree with somebody who wrote it before here in this thread: if you have a Stache you don´t really need another bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I got the Line Pro 40's for 800.00 from my LBS to mount on my 9.7 carbon Stache. Still have Duroc set. Engagement is very good and pretty quite which I like. Found a crack in rim channel, no signs of impact just a very subtle crack, not sure when it happened only after 3rd ride. LBS will warrant it and told me to keep running it for more durability feedback. Used Gorrila tape to seal bead to hold Stans and is holding. This set is the newer set without the j-channel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I went with the cane creek 40- couldn't pass up this price vs. the 110 but if I was splurging I would have went with the 110. Plane cyclery has the best prices for this headset that I found.

Cane Creek 40 IS41/28.6 IS52/40 Short Cover Headset Black

Cane Creek 110 IS41/28.6 IS52/40 Headset Black

Quote Originally Posted by gritnteeth View Post
    What model 110 cane creek did you use? I want to upgrade the headset on my 2016 Stache 7 when I install my new Pike fork. Thanks!

Australia
    Same here. The 40 is perfectly adequate.
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

My 2018 Trek Stache 7

ok,its been done !! completed the upgrades on my 2018 Stache 7..have about 80 miles on her now and completely surprised and happy with the ride..Upgrades ...Chromag Squarewave XL grips,Hope Pro4 orange hubs,Raceface Arc 40 wheels,carbon seat post,Raceface 800 mm orange bars and 70mm bontrager line stemLets see your Stache official thread-orange-stache1.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-orangestache2.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-orangestache3.jpg

Pinehurst NC
    Looks good! I built a set of ARC 40 rims for mine too, really liked the difference losing 10mm made. Enjoy that bike!
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow poke View Post
    I went with the cane creek 40- couldn't pass up this price vs. the 110 but if I was splurging I would have went with the 110. Plane cyclery has the best prices for this headset that I found.

Cane Creek 40 IS41/28.6 IS52/40 Short Cover Headset Black

Cane Creek 110 IS41/28.6 IS52/40 Headset Black
    Awesome! Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Looks good! I built a set of ARC 40 rims for mine too, really liked the difference losing 10mm made. Enjoy that bike!
    I am assuming... But you like the rounder profile of the tire from the narrower rim? Are you also saving weight with that rim vs the OEM rim?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Dang, AZ Freight...that thing is angry lookin'!!!

To those who have been saying the stock tubes are heavy...I weighed mine yesterday. Bontrager 2.5-3". 0.84lbs each. That's 381g each. I agree that's heavy, but the sales guy where I bought mine pulled a tube off the rack and handed it to me to show me how much lighter the Stache would be tubeless...that tube he handed me had to be a DH tube b/c it was easily 2lbs (900g+)

So considering the weight of 4oz of liquid (sealant) per tire...going tubeless will drop 1.68lbs of tube and gain 0.5lbs of sealant.

That's good news. Over a pound. I was hoping for more, but still good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    In theory, the narrower rim may give slightly more diameter.

Have you measured the OD?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    In theory, the narrower rim may give slightly more diameter.

Have you measured the OD?
    I went to an Easton Arc40 a year ago. No difference in OD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
    I went to an Easton Arc40 a year ago. No difference in OD.
    Well I'm considering going back to another Hope build and the Arc is supposed to be a pretty good rim, so I may end up going that direction. They look nice, and with a competent wheel builder, should last many years.

My Hope Pro 2 / DT EX 5.1d wheelset is 2005 and still running strong.
    My Hope Pro 4 / Flow EX wheelset is fairly new, but beautiful.

Kinda wish they made a Flow EX+45-50

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Mikesee built my setup (arc40 with dt swiss spokes/hub). They've been very sturdy and light for what they are. I'm happy with the arc's and would buy again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Finally got my stache 9.7 in town on Friday and set it up tubeless. Going to keep it stock for a while to see if I need to make any changes to it.

This thing climbs and corners like crazy! Any time I lost it in a corner it would hook up after a little slide and pull right back up.

Biggest complaint I had was how touchy the setup of the eagle gx was, I had to mess with the barrel adjuster constantly to keep it from clicking or jumping. The ultra wide bars are definitely an adjustment too, not sure I love how slow turning it is.

Still loving it though, got a lot of compliments on the trail today

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Agreed! Mine has been shifting mint after a month, I have Loaded 800mm bars on now with 50mm stem. Bontrager to narrow for me, E13 carbon trs+ cranks just came. Line Pro 40 wheelset was well worth the investment too and engagement is excellent! My only issue is the tires,three rear punctures, now running WTB Ranger with no issues, kept Bontrager on front, fine so far as a front.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm hoping for Trek bring a frame only 9 option out to build my own. Upgrading wheels, bars,stems, seats etc.. makes for a expensive hardtail IMO, love the bike though, last years 9.8 with the line pro 40 carbon wheelset was a better buy i think, i guess thats why they sold out, just my look!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by goffy View Post
    I'm hoping for Trek bring a frame only 9 option out to build my own. Upgrading wheels, bars,stems, seats etc.. makes for a expensive hardtail IMO, love the bike though, last years 9.8 with the line pro 40 carbon wheelset was a better buy i think, i guess thats why they sold out, just my look!
    Depends how close a relationship you have with your LBS. Paid 2800.00 for 9.7 carbon and 800.00 for Line Pro 40 wheelset and have Duroc as a backup or run 3.0's on them and 2.6 on Line Pro when available. I always have two wheelset for my bikes ready to mount with different tire options.

mtbr member

as tested.
    line pro 40 29er took off 8oz over the stock stache wheel set
    line pro 40 27.5 took 4oz off a stock wheel set from a fuel ex8 plus
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Maxxis DHF front.
    Maxxis Chronicle rear.

Added just under 2lbs to my 9.6

The rear tire is nice and rolls fast. not as well as the chupa's but it stays together a lot longer.

Hey brent701, thank you for the tire insight. After rolling (slowly) around for a few rides on the DHR front and rear, we swapped the rear out for a Chronicle, leaving a DHR up front. Huge difference in rolling resistance over the DHR in the rear for sure. I think it's a great setup for my riding style and would recommend it for somebody looking for a good blend of playfulness and confidence — especially in wet conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Update on my '16 Stache 9 dropout clicking issue. LBS filed a warranty claim last week requesting new drop-outs. Picked the bike up today, took it for a two hour ride and it was dead-silent. Hopefully tomorrow will bring the same click-free results. I did ask the mechanic if he noticed anything weird, damaged, or faulty and he said everything looked normal on the old set, but had mentioned that the design of rear the new set what was sent was different than my original '16 set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Update on my '16 Stache 9 dropout clicking issue. LBS filed a warranty claim last week requesting new drop-outs. Picked the bike up today, took it for a two hour ride and it was dead-silent. Hopefully tomorrow will bring the same click-free results. I did ask the mechanic if he noticed anything weird, damaged, or faulty and he said everything looked normal on the old set, but had mentioned that the design of rear the new set what was sent was different than my original '16 set.
    Keep us up to date. I really like to know. My '16 Stache creaks as well even after a good clean. Knowing that I could buy a new designed dropout that stops the noise is helpful!

mtbr member
    Hey brent701, thank you for the tire insight. After rolling (slowly) around for a few rides on the DHR front and rear, we swapped the rear out for a Chronicle, leaving a DHR up front. Huge difference in rolling resistance over the DHR in the rear for sure. I think it's a great setup for my riding style and would recommend it for somebody looking for a good blend of playfulness and confidence — especially in wet conditions.

Glad it worked out.
    I unfortunately sold my Stache 9.6, It was replaced with a 2018 Slash and 2017 Salsa timberjack I'm building up 27.5 plus
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    as tested.
    line pro 40 29er took off 8oz over the stock stache wheel set
    line pro 40 27.5 took 4oz off a stock wheel set from a fuel ex8 plus
    Yup...only a 1/2 pound... That's not much for a $1200 buy-in.

For a grand, you can go with Light Bicycles carbon rim with DT or Hope hubs and save double that.

mtbr member

For a grand, you can go with Light Bicycles carbon rim with DT or Hope hubs and save double that.
    LB gives you more options on rim/hubs. Weight won't be much of a drop.
    Mostly depends on rim ID you pick.

I'm having a set of LB on Project321 hubs built up for my Slash
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Half a pound is no joke on rotational weight. Since I paid 800.00 for Line Pro 40 felt it was a justifiable cost not just for weight save but the amazing feell and deadening effect carbon rims give your ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Half a pound is no joke on rotational weight. Since I paid 800.00 for Line Pro 40 felt it was a justifiable cost not just for weight save but the amazing feell and deadening effect carbon rims give your ride.
    Yeah, I'm still on the fence. $800 is a decent price, but heck I only spent $999 on the whole bike.

I'd like to find something in the $600 range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Ended up returning the 21.5 Stache 7 for the 19.5. They really did change the geo specs on the 2018 alloy version and the XL felt like an XXL! The 19.5 is much more comfortable for me, and I'm really enjoying the feel of have it set up tubeless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-image1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    possibly selling my stache 9.6, all stock, size 17.5. Has 300 miles on it, maybe less. Selling to help with closing costs on house.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaFACE View Post
    possibly selling my stache 9.6, all stock, size 17.5. Has 300 miles on it, maybe less. Selling to help with closing costs on house.
    That's crazy talk, replacing gets more difficult when actually a home owner, trust me don't do it! And besides sellers market sucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Haven't posted a picture in a while. Here's Dixie getting some maintenance and new shoes and then out on the Sinker Creek trail near Bogus Basin in Idaho.

Lets see your Stache official thread-repair-stand.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-sinkercreek.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-repair-stand.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

We the people ... My 2018 Trek Stache 5

Well, this past weekend I received and email from my LBS saying that they have the new 2108 models in stock, plus they are on sale for 20% off during the holiday weekend. I went on Sunday to check it out but they only have the 21.5 assembled. They had my size (19.5) in stock, but it was still in the box. They assembled it for me and I picked it up the next day (saving $316). I can't wait to take this beast on the trails. Now I understand all the rave reviews about this bike, I can't stop grinning . Needless to say, my 2017 Trek Marlin 5 is for sale. Since it it late in the season, I think i'll try going tubeless next spring. So far I added my previous saddle and pedals (RaceFace Chesters). Thanks for all of the others who have posted about the Stache.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-2018-trek-stache-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ended up returning the 21.5 Stache 7 for the 19.5. They really did change the geo specs on the 2018 alloy version and the XL felt like an XXL! The 19.5 is much more comfortable for me, and I'm really enjoying the feel of have it set up tubeless.
    Murdered out black is the hottest combo I've ever seen. That and the '17 9.6 are the best-looking Stache's I've ever seen!!

Something negative I did notice this weekend on my Stache compared to my 26" AMHT...climby trails are more of a chore that I initially felt now that the euphoria from the roll-over capabilities are gone.

I can climb steeper, gnarlier trails that I've ever been able to climb due to traction and stability, but I did notice that on a smoother climby trail this past weekend, I did feel more fatigue. When I hit the choppy, chunky trails, all that faded away because of my ability to maintain momentum and motor through everything I want, but a smooth trail that is mostly punchy or extended climbing is more of a chore.

That said...if I can bring the weight down from 29.3lbs to around 27 or less, I think that will disappear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    That said...if I can bring the weight down from 29.3lbs to around 27 or less, I think that will disappear.
    I was thinking the same thing, but in reference to reducing my weight from 185 to 170. Too much beer...

In any case, I'm really enjoying the Stache and the new color scheme, thought it would be a bit boring at first, but it's pretty sharp!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    In any case, I'm really enjoying the Stache and the new color scheme, thought it would be a bit boring at first, but it's pretty sharp!
    Oh heck yeah man, that black on black is where it's at, man!!

I was thinking the same thing, but in reference to reducing my weight from 185 to 170. Too much beer...
    It's funny how much harder that is as we age. When I was 29 y.o, I dropped 30 lbs from Thanksgiving to Christmas by skipping breakfast, cutting out all sugar, and riding 5-6 days/wk.

Now I'm 41. It's hard, man. I was 6'2" / 183# and it was full time work maintaining that weight. Now I have around 200-215 and think instead about how I could spend $300 and drop 1/2# of dead weight off the bike...and another $900 on wheels and drop the thing to 27#.

At least I know that if I drop the weight off the bike, it'll stay off. (Depressing)

For those interested:
    Answer ProTaper Carbon SL 1" x 750 Bar ( because I like em) (135g saved)
    Thomson Post (157g saved)
    WTB Carbon saddle on sale (110g saved)

Light Bicycles 50mm carbon rim/ Hope Pro 4 wheelset 600g saved with Hopes, 700 with DT 240s (assuming the stock wheelset is in the 2400 range given the generic hubs and spokes)

1003-1103g total hub depending. (2.45)

29.3 current - 2.45 = 26.85#

And heck... If you wanna go nuts, do the DT 240s Centerlock version with Sapim bladed spokes and alloy nipples instead of brass. Now you're up to $1100 on a wheelset instead of $900'ish but your down to 1640g wheelset.

In theory

But then you're really killing the value of my $999 sale price of my bike.

See what's wrong with mountain biking?
    Last edited by chelboed; 09-05-2017 at 08:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Something negative I did notice this weekend on my Stache compared to my 26" AMHT...climby trails are more of a chore that I initially felt now that the euphoria from the roll-over capabilities are gone.

I can climb steeper, gnarlier trails that I've ever been able to climb due to traction and stability, but I did notice that on a smoother climby trail this past weekend, I did feel more fatigue. When I hit the choppy, chunky trails, all that faded away because of my ability to maintain momentum and motor through everything I want, but a smooth trail that is mostly punchy or extended climbing is more of a chore.

While I don't care for the murdered out look, I agree on fatigue. I can't tell if it's lack of riding the last month waiting for this thing... Or if it really just takes that subtle amount of extra effort.

I can rail through some sections way faster but I'm just dead tired in between. I feel like if I can get a better base fitness this thing will be a rocket. It does climb effortless if you have the legs!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a buddy needing a new front wheel, anyone out there upgraded and sitting on a stock front wheel they wanna sell? Or a set for cheap?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have a take off new Duroc 50mm wheelset I maybe persuaded to sell if interested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    While I don't care for the murdered out look, I agree on fatigue. I can't tell if it's lack of riding the last month waiting for this thing... Or if it really just takes that subtle amount of extra effort.

I can rail through some sections way faster but I'm just dead tired in between. I feel like if I can get a better base fitness this thing will be a rocket. It does climb effortless if you have the legs!

I still have my 26" AMHT. I just couldn't sell it. It's a Kinesis frame with a 68' head angle and built around 150mm travel fork.

It's built up with Hope Pro4 Stan's Flow EX wheelset tubeless with Maxxis Ardent 2.4".

I rode the Stache exclusively for a couple weeks. I hopped on my 26" the other day and rode some smooth trail and it did feel like a stinkin' rocket. It's not terribly light b/c I love coil forks and it's built for aggressive riding, so 28#...but the difference between the two wasn't very evident until I rode the stache for a while and went back to the 26.

The bikes are within 1/2# of each other, but the weight is distributed differently...not to mention the larger contact patch causes extra resistance.

That said...there are still other (really rough) trails that I'm faster and have more energy with the Stache due to the extra "UMPH" that I need with my other bike to negotiate things.

When I get more used to the Stache and possibly build up a nice wheelset to reduce rotational weight, the difference will likely decrease quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Going back to a 26 and having it feel 'like a rocket' is more about wheel size than weight. It's going to take about 10% more force to turn the axle 1x on a 29 plus vs a 26. This has WAY more felt effect than weight does. Weight makes a difference but it's much smaller than people give it credit for- particularly when the climb is steady.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    And steady climbs are what I'm getting tired on. Short burst climbs I swear I'm faster on the stache.

And to compare, I've been riding a 26" old school bike with short bars that weighs a few lbs more than my stache. So there may be something to the gear ratio

mtbr member
    I may be interested in the 9.6, PM me if you decide to sell.

Pinehurst NC
    My overall climbing times are slower for sure, even with a lightened drivetrain and new wheels. I feel the climbs, really feel them over my carbon superfly. With that said, I grin like a kid every where else!!! I took my 27.5+ bike out the other day and the climbs were easier too. Big wheels, large OD, more rotating mass no matter what
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have a take off new Duroc 50mm wheelset I maybe persuaded to sell if interested.
    How much for set? Willing to seperate?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Murdered out black is the hottest combo I've ever seen. That and the '17 9.6 are the best-looking Stache's I've ever seen!!

The gearing range with many of the Stache 29+, even with Eagle drivetrains, has you with a granny gear that is likely to be taller granny gears on your previous bikes. Climbing steeps can be a chore. Mine has a granny gear that is over 21 gear inches with the stock 30t chainring, and just a hair under 20 gear inches with a 28t chainring. That can be a chore at times depending on your fitness and the terrain you ride.
    Last edited by jeffj; 09-07-2017 at 08:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    It's simple physics. The same mass on a bigger radius has the same effect as increasing the mass, while keeping the same radius. And the 29+ wheels are probably heavier than the 26 wheels as well. So more energy is needed to push the wheels uphill. This is noticed most on smooth, steady climbs as that is where the advantages of big wheels are the smallest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I agree on all points...especially the one regarding grinning on everything else. The Stache is still my favorite bike I've ever owned or tested. Now that Stan's is coming out with a Major and Baron MK3 rim soon...I'm geekin'. The S-1 setup looked cool to begin with, but quickly deflated.

Baron or Major MK3 with Hope Pro-4 DT Comp will make me a grinnin' freak-O.

mtbr member

Lets see your Stache official thread

Just got the call that my Stache 7 is in! Just in time for a ride or two before the Hurricane hits...

Last edited by BikeMrown; 09-07-2017 at 05:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sorry this post is long...but basically: "Comparably built smaller wheeled hardtail will likely weigh less & require less energy for smoother trails." (semi-obvious statement) Use the Stache's strengths. (smooth over chunk and traction in corners and tech climbs)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    The gearing range with many of the Stache 29+, even with Eagle drivetrains, has you with a granny gear that is likely to be taller granny gears on your previous bikes. Climbing steeps can be a chore. Mine has a granny gear that is over 21 gear inches with the stock 30t chainring, and just a hair under 20 gear inches with a 28t chainring. That can be a chore at times depending on your fitness and the terrain you ride.
    True, Jeff...but I think my perception of it being more draining of my energy is evident even when I'm not anywhere close to my granny gear. Sure, you can compensate moving from a snappy 26'er to a 31'er (29+) with lower gearing, but you (I) will need to overcompensate because there is indeed more effort required all things equal IMO.

Ex: I can ride a low-tech rolling trail on my 28.7# 26'er in a mid range ratio without needing a low gear.

I can ride the same trail on the Stache (29.3#) in a comparable gear inch but do it slower and be more fatigued because of either more rolling resistance from the larger patch, more rotating weight, or the example that MrIcky explained.

Now obviously another way to over compensate (besides lower gearing and ultimately riding the trail slower) would be with more $$$. I'm running a Hope Pro-4 Stan's Flow EX wheelset on the 26'er which is probably around an 1800g AM wheelset that cost around $700-$800 to build. To achieve a similar weight with a 29+, you're going to have to either sacrifice durability and width and go with American Classic 3834 rims with alloy nipples and Sapim X-ray spokes...or go carbon which will be $1000-1200. (Hope/Light Bicycles or Line Pro 40, etc...)

A comparable priced and spec'd wheelset to my Hope's would weigh upward of 2200-2300g on a 29+ due to more spoke material, more rim diameter, and 30% more rim width. (moving from 30mm-50mm)

I still think there will be a perceivable difference due to tire weight (270g in my case), double the amount of sealant, and larger contact patch...and possibly MrIcky's theory as well...but spending approx 25% more as a whole to get a similar weight setup with similar durability will likely be the way to go.

But as I've said before...as soon as the trail gets choppy...I can maintain more momentum with less exertion due to the exaggerated roll-over of the Stache.

All of my perception is coming from a 26" hardtail over to 29+ which will likely be a minority because most of the people I know on the trail that don't ride a +hardtail are riding either dual suspension or a 29'er or 27.5'er so the difference will probably be more dramatic to me than other new Stache owners.

I had asked a few locals prior to buying mine...to describe their Stache ride compared to their other bikes. Most of what I heard was "It's way more playful and fun." While I agree it's more fun...I can't call this bike playful at all compared to my other bike. They were comparing it to their dual suspension 650b or 29er bikes, but my perception is in comparison to what I've considered the "King of Snappy, Flickable, Playful" which is a 26HT.

So my opinion should probably be taken with a small grain of salt.
    Last edited by chelboed; 09-08-2017 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sorry this post is long...but basically: "Comparably built smaller wheeled hardtail will likely weigh less & require less energy for smoother trails." (semi-obvious statement) Use the Stache's strengths. (smooth over chunk and traction in corners and tech climbs)

Here's my experience. When I first got my Stache 2 summers ago-I FELT like I was slower. I came off of a cross country dual suspension bike to the Stache (a superfly 100 which was known as a pretty good climber).

But--it turns out I wasn't slower, I was faster according to Strava pretty much everywhere with basically one exception. The exception where I wasn't faster was very steep trails that still had adequate traction (basically just short of standing). And it wasn't new bike syndrome, it was consistent.

I started chasing weight, and found out it just wasn't making enough difference to be worthwhile for me. I got lighter wheels by almost a full pound (I had a hub issue that I used as an excuse) and they made a difference, but not a huge difference. As an example, one climb that has about 1450 vertical feet in about 3 miles, I cut about 20 seconds average on the climb - so 20 seconds on a 25ish minute climb. If I were competing I'd care more so YMMV.

Assuming you are running tires like Chupa's- it's unlikely you have more rolling resistance on the 29+ unless the trail is dead smooth and hard. 29+s roll like no other bike I've ever been on. I'm on DHF/DHRs now because I've been exploring more- ya, those are slower climbing for sure.

So I don't know if you've compared your times on your new bike vs your old bike, but you may be surprised.

mtbr member
    I have a pre plus stache 7. I have a 140 fork and I run minions on it. Compared to my cross bike in the same trails, it is slower. But it's so much more fun. If you want to enjoy the stache, don't get back on your other bike. Just ride the stache and ride it alot. You'll adjust to it and love it. A year from now you'll get on your other bike and not be able to figure out how you ever were able to ride it.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Has it been figured out yet what has to happen to do a lighter crank on the 9.6? like the race face next? I remember reading about and issue with bottom bracket. Just wondering if theres another option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Has it been figured out yet what has to happen to do a lighter crank on the 9.6? like the race face next? I remember reading about and issue with bottom bracket. Just wondering if theres another option.
    Have a E13 TRS+ carbon crankset about to install this week on my 9.7 carbon. A tad bummed that a 34t won't fit frame, been running a 32t, gets the job done but would like more range. As well as this bike climbs technical and steeps, fast single track and sprints believe that it would benefit with bigger chainrings options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Have a E13 TRS+ carbon crankset about to install this week on my 9.7 carbon. A tad bummed that a 34t won't fit frame, been running a 32t, gets the job done but would like more range. As well as this bike climbs technical and steeps, fast single track and sprints believe that it would benefit with bigger chainrings options.
    which crankset are you using?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Descendant that came stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

First ride

Christened the stache today. 9.7 19.5" fits perfectly (I'm 5'11"). Line Pro wheels are magic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
    Here's my experience. When I first got my Stache 2 summers ago-I FELT like I was slower. I came off of a cross country dual suspension bike to the Stache (a superfly 100 which was known as a pretty good climber).

But--it turns out I wasn't slower, I was faster according to Strava pretty much everywhere with basically one exception. The exception where I wasn't faster was very steep trails that still had adequate traction (basically just short of standing). And it wasn't new bike syndrome, it was consistent.

I started chasing weight, and found out it just wasn't making enough difference to be worthwhile for me. I got lighter wheels by almost a full pound (I had a hub issue that I used as an excuse) and they made a difference, but not a huge difference. As an example, one climb that has about 1450 vertical feet in about 3 miles, I cut about 20 seconds average on the climb - so 20 seconds on a 25ish minute climb. If I were competing I'd care more so YMMV.

Assuming you are running tires like Chupa's- it's unlikely you have more rolling resistance on the 29+ unless the trail is dead smooth and hard. 29+s roll like no other bike I've ever been on. I'm on DHF/DHRs now because I've been exploring more- ya, those are slower climbing for sure.

So I don't know if you've compared your times on your new bike vs your old bike, but you may be surprised.
    Well... As I shared... When there are any bumps or traction challenged places, Stache romps. Smooth, rolling trail... My 26 is faster. I think where you and I differ is my 26 is still a hardtail. Your other bike you're comparing is a dually.

My 26 is rolling Ardent 2.4 with 30psi. If I drop my road bike from 85psi down to 40psi, I notice slower times and more wasted energy.

Moving from my 26" 30psi tires to 29x3 15.5psi... Sure, they're going to push harder.

Just my experience.

Cornering is really other worldly though!!

mtbr member

First ride

Just got my Stache 7 on Thursday evening (Thanks to Pryde prioritizing the build at Trek in north Raleigh). Took off work Friday for a ride on it at Beaver Dam in the Falls Lake area. Coming from a 26x2.1 to a 29x3.0 it was crazy different. Didn't help riding a trail with tons of pine straw over loose sandy soil. I struggled on uphill portions but steamrolled the extremely rooty portions that many complain about there. Lets see your Stache official thread-bike50.jpg

Here is my old bike sitting in front of the Stache:
    Lets see your Stache official thread-20170908_150356836_ios.jpg

I definitely need to work on climbing. Totally happy with the purchase though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Is the shifter and seat post lever part of the brake levers on the S7? I have a '17 Stache 5 and may upgrade to a '18 Stache 7 but I put xt brakes on my 5 and I really like em. I read that the Shimano group is a step above the Sram on my Stumpy. I'm impressed with the Sram. Any comments on the group set on the Stache 7.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi all,

2 questions:
    1. How are the m500 brakes on the '18?
    2. How does the 2018 compare to the 2017 spec-wise? Looks like biggest difference is the shock?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2old View Post
    Is the shifter and seat post lever part of the brake levers on the S7? I have a '17 Stache 5 and may upgrade to a '18 Stache 7 but I put xt brakes on my 5 and I really like em. I read that the Shimano group is a step above the Sram on my Stumpy. I'm impressed with the Sram. Any comments on the group set on the Stache 7.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    If the 7 has a Matchmaker. all you need to do is buy the shifter clamp and just install the shifter as usual.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwwbww View Post
    Hi all,

2 questions:
    1. How are the m500 brakes on the '18?
    2. How does the 2018 compare to the 2017 spec-wise? Looks like biggest difference is the shock?

Thanks!
    The MT500 brakes are a basic brake from Shimano. I'd still use those over SRAM guides.

The 2018 alum Staches got a small geo change to match the Carbon models. So now all the Staches have the same geo.
    The 2018's got a better parts spec build over the 2017's
    Nothing wrong with the 2017's,
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks Brent. Seems '18 stache 7 is well spec'd for $2099. I wasn't sure on the rockshox Yari RL on it vs 2017's Manitou Magnum 34 Comp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwwbww View Post
    Thanks Brent. Seems '18 stache 7 is well spec'd for $2099. I wasn't sure on the rockshox Yari RL on it vs 2017's Manitou Magnum 34 Comp.
    The Yari is a good fork. I had one on my 2017 9.6
    Too Many .

Members who have read this thread: 588