Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 1812
    Broken Hipster
    Quote Originally Posted by evo233 View Post
    Attachment 1051889

Fork is a 27+ Fox 34, but running the stock 29 chupa's on mulefuts. Bad pic since a bit of a downward angle but plenty of clearance for California trails, touch under a cm at the top, loads on the side. Have a mucky nuts fender on there now and no mud build up or buzzing.
    Couple more questions before I pull the trigger on one.

Edited, see next post. Thanks.
    Last edited by Barman1; 02-23-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Broken Hipster
    I did some research and just grabbed this one for the Stache 9.
    2016 Fox 34 FLOAT 140 3Pos-Adj FIT4 29" 15x110 BOOST 1.5 Tapered Matte Black 51mm Kashima Factory
    It will fit a Chupa' but I'm running Fat B Nimbles which measure significantly smaller width and height so it should be good.

Now I've got to figure out what to do with the stock Magnum Pro...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman1 View Post
    I did some research and just grabbed this one for the Stache 9.
    2016 Fox 34 FLOAT 140 3Pos-Adj FIT4 29" 15x110 BOOST 1.5 Tapered Matte Black 51mm Kashima Factory
    It will fit a Chupa' but I'm running Fat B Nimbles which measure significantly smaller width and height so it should be good.

Now I've got to figure out what to do with the stock Magnum Pro...
    Do you know how the A2C on that new Fox fork compares to the A2C on the Magnum? I know the Magnum doesn't inhale the entire stanchion on the Stache 9, so it has a longer A2C than it would if it used all the travel. Makes me wonder if the A2C on those forks might be closer than you would think.

Broken Hipster
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Do you know how the A2C on that new Fox fork compares to the A2C on the Magnum? I know the Magnum doesn't inhale the entire stanchion on the Stache 9, so it has a longer A2C than it would if it used all the travel. Makes me wonder if the A2C on those forks might be closer than you would think.
    The A-C on the stock Magnum measures around 533mm on my 9. The Fox is at 547.1mm. So that should be good.
    But, does the Magnum on the Stache use a different headset than the Fox would? or can I use the same? I just remembered I may have read something along those lines. Probably just some zero stack confusion...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman1 View Post
    The A-C on the stock Magnum measures around 533mm on my 9. The Fox is at 547.1mm. So that should be good.
    But, does the Magnum on the Stache use a different headset than the Fox would? or can I use the same? I just remembered I may have read something along those lines. Probably just some zero stack confusion...
    With the extra sag you could/would run on the Fox 140, it might be close to a wash on ride height. . . . . Interesting. Very interesting.

Headset should be fine on either fork. Zero stack just means the bearings are inside the head tube, like they are with an internal/integrated headset, but zero stacks still have a pressed in race like an external bearing headset does. Bearings on the internal/integrated headsets just drop straight into the headtube of the frame with nothing pressed into the headtube.

Steerers will accept any of the three types of headsets, but it's the frame that dictates which headset you'd need.

Broken Hipster
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    With the extra sag you could/would run on the Fox 140, it might be close to a wash on ride height. . . . . Interesting. Very interesting.

Headset should be fine on either fork. Zero stack just means the bearings are inside the head tube, like they are with an internal/integrated headset, but zero stacks still have a pressed in race like an external bearing headset does. Bearings on the internal/integrated headsets just drop straight into the headtube of the frame with nothing pressed into the headtube.

Steerers will accept any of the three types of headsets, but it's the frame that dictates which headset you'd need.
    I contacted Cane Creek and they gave me the part number for the angleset that fits the Stache.
    Should give me a few more mm's to mess around with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    I like the purple and blue.
    Thanks mate. I've gotta say though, I love Miami Green of the 5.

Unfortunately though the 5 wasn't offered in Australia, and only a handful (literally!) of the 7's and 9's made it into the country.

I must've spent 6 hours in total on the phone to bike shops all over the country before I got lucky. Weird decision by Trek if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    Thanks mate. I've gotta say though, I love Miami Green of the 5.

Unfortunately though the 5 wasn't offered in Australia, and only a handful (literally!) of the 7's and 9's made it into the country.

I must've spent 6 hours in total on the phone to bike shops all over the country before I got lucky. Weird decision by Trek if you ask me.
    Wow, glad you were able to get your hands on one. It'll be worth putting in all that effort. Keep sharing your pics too, I'd like to see the terrain in AU.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Yeah me too. I wanna visit Australia one day and I'd love to ride there.

mtbr member

Updated for 2016

Custom I9 Grade Wheelset
    Shimano Ice-Tech
    Maxxis Ikon 2.35 EXO rear
    North Shore Billet & Ti bolts everywhere...

Lets see your Stache official thread-mtb4web.jpg
    Photos, or it didn't happen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Custom I9 Grade Wheelset
    Shimano Ice-Tech

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTB4WEB.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	352.3 KB 
ID:	1054417
    That looks nice!

29ers Forever
    Custom I9 Grade Wheelset
    Shimano Ice-Tech

That bike looks epic! My dream hardtail build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Lets see your Stache official thread-20160322_193342.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Lets see your Stache official thread-edit.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Lets see your Stache official thread-20160322_193317-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Fully upgraded 2015 Trek Stache 7. Got this bike before the plus size models came out and glad I did. While I appreciate the plus size bikes its not what I was looking for. Pretty much everything on my bike has been upgraded except the crank and brakes.

Rock Shox Revelation 120mm
    Easton Heist 27mm internal width wheelset
    Shimano M8000 1x11 drive train
    Race Face 32T NW ring
    Spank Subrosa 747mm handlebars
    Race Face Atlas 50mm Stem
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    WTB Silverado Saddle
    Nukeproof Neutron Pedals
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3 tubeless
    Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.3 tubeless

Bike is significantly lighter and it flys... absolutely love this bike.

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_2400.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_2398.jpg
    Last edited by Strife21; 04-03-2016 at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm with ya Strife21! Love my 15 Stache 7. I've upgraded everything on that bike except for the frame, crank and headset spacers! Love the bike, and it's so much fun. The Nukeproof pedals are great, but I've got to rebuild them.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    Fully upgraded 2015 Trek Stache 7. Got this bike before the plus size models came out and glad I did. While I appreciate the plus size bikes its not what I was looking for. Pretty much everything on my bike has been upgraded except the crank and brakes.

Rock Shox Revelation 120mm
    Easton Heist 27mm internal width wheelset
    Shimano M8000 1x11 drive train
    Race Face 32T NW ring
    Spank Subrosa 747mm handlebars
    Race Face Atlas 50mm Stem
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    WTB Silverado Saddle
    Nukeproof Neutron Pedals
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 tubeless
    Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.35 tubeless

Bike is significantly lighter and it flys... absolutely love this bike.

Name:	IMG_2400.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	379.2 KB 
ID:	1061367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2398.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	357.5 KB 
ID:	1061366
    Sweet man! Love my pre-plus 2014. Its definitely my do-it-all bike. I'm running a 35mm stem, 780mm bars, 2.5 DHF/new 2.35 Ikon, and 28mm i9 wheels. One of the first things I did to her was throw on a dropper (KS droppers with the collar are perfect for Stache cable routing) and its still one of the biggest improvements. Def recommend getting a dropper if you do any aggressive trail riding.

Good to see another pre-plus maxed out. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sweet man! Love my pre-plus 2014. Its definitely my do-it-all bike. I'm running a 35mm stem, 780mm bars, 2.5 DHF/new 2.35 Ikon, and 28mm i9 wheels. One of the first things I did to her was throw on a dropper (KS droppers with the collar are perfect for Stache cable routing) and its still one of the biggest improvements. Def recommend getting a dropper if you do any aggressive trail riding.

Good to see another pre-plus maxed out. Cheers!
    Yea man thats awesome. I am looking at droppers just don't have the 400-500 for the one I want yet. I really am digging these new 9point8 droppers and that is probably the next option. Someday might have to just go for it sell the revelation and put a 120mm pike on here too but I can do without that for a bit.

Your bike looks gorgeous btw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Here is my 1st gen stache. I have to say I love this bike! Just got a ks eteni dropper to add as well. But haven't done that yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-20160229_213327.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2014
    For those of you who upgraded to wider rims - what have you found? Why did you do it? I'm not sure if my riding trails justify it - but wondering if wider rims would give me more confidence, or is this a wrong reason to go wider?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoP View Post
    For those of you who upgraded to wider rims - what have you found? Why did you do it? I'm not sure if my riding trails justify it - but wondering if wider rims would give me more confidence, or is this a wrong reason to go wider?
    I have upgraded both my bikes one is trek stache and one is a diamondback mission 27.5 to wider rim profiles. It just grips better and you can run lower pressure. Just feels better to me having the wider profile with the tires I use. Maxxis DHF and DHR II's.

I have 27mm internal on the stache and 25mm internal on the mission. I could have gotten 30mm on the stache but I just couldn't justify going that wide, but 25mm to 27mm seems like the sweet spot for me and think the bontrager 21mm internal width is on its way out plus those wheels were kinda heavy.

I also think Enve did a test on all this stuff and determined between 25-30mm being the sweet spot. for 2.3-2.4 tires which I use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Has anyone run 27.5+ on the first gen stache?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Custom I9 Grade Wheelset
    Shimano Ice-Tech

Where did you get the ti bolts from? Was looking into getting all Ti bolts on my fuel.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have upgraded both my bikes one is trek stache and one is a diamondback mission 27.5 to wider rim profiles. It just grips better and you can run lower pressure. Just feels better to me having the wider profile with the tires I use. Maxxis DHF and DHR II's.

I have 27mm internal on the stache and 25mm internal on the mission. I could have gotten 30mm on the stache but I just couldn't justify going that wide, but 25mm to 27mm seems like the sweet spot for me and think the bontrager 21mm internal width is on its way out plus those wheels were kinda heavy.

I also think Enve did a test on all this stuff and determined between 25-30mm being the sweet spot. for 2.3-2.4 tires which I use.
    +1 Exactly.

I upgraded to a 28.5mm i9 Grade Wheelset. Fits the bike perfectly with a 2.35 on the rear. Nothing against the plus craze, but I'm finding it pretty difficult to 'need more grip'. You really do get the best of both worlds on a 29" x 27-30mm inner rim. Low weight, mega-grip, and all the 29" tires you can sink your teeth into.

Just my .02

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroc162 View Post
    Where did you get the ti bolts from? Was looking into getting all Ti bolts on my fuel.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    If they're good enough for Stevie Smith...they're good enough for me. Love the color options too.

Ti Bolts

mtbr member

Update

Threw a Chromag Trailmaster saddle on her and switched to my Gwin grips. Don't think I'll be looking back...

Lets see your Stache official thread-trailmaster-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Having issues installing a rf next crankset. Installed the red spacer on drive side but this just doesn't look right. Anybody? This is on a trek stache 5

mtbr member
    Threw a Chromag Trailmaster saddle on her and switched to my Gwin grips. Don't think I'll be looking back...

Name:	Trailmaster (2).jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	1062629
    How are you liking the Chromag Trailmaster Saddle?
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Here is my Stache 7. So far I swapped out the stem and bars with Deity 50 mm stem and black label bars. I also installed Deity Blade Runner pedals and a KS Eten-i dropper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang183 View Post
    Here is my Stache 7. So far I swapped out the stem and bars with Deity 50 mm stem and black label bars. I also installed Deity Blade Runner pedals and a KS Eten-i dropper. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Good choices!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Interceptor View Post
    Love it. Much softer than the stock saddle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    A couple of pictures from this weekend. Trails weren't quite ready and it turned into a snowbound hike.

mtbr member

Couple of Changes

Made a few changes so posting an updated pic.

29+, while fun on certain trails in my area was also not great on others, namely anything really narrow or steep and turny. So switched to some beefy 29 tires, a 2.5 minion up front (awesome on the mulefuts FYI) and a 2.3 vigilante on the back (not so great on the wide rims, side walls outside the knobs). Did a few rides with that set up and for some reason thought I had managed to crack the rear rim since there was a wet spot from sealant on the side and thought for sure I could feel a groove... also had a spare 27.5 blunt 35 rim so decided to experiment and re-lace the wheel.

Long story short I don't think I actually cracked the rim but still ended up with a 27.5 2.8" Nobby nic in the rear.

Also, fork got bumped to 130. Only a couple rides so far but really liking this set up. Definitely a bit slacker then stock but more nimble then the 29+ set up, tons of traction on the rear but still feels like I can whip the bike around switch backs and steep trails no problem. Ended up way over budget on my "winter" hardtail project (especially since I live in California where there's really no such season...), but this bike has been so much fun I don't really care

Lets see your Stache official thread-stache-rev2_.jpg
    Last edited by evo233; 04-15-2016 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evo233 View Post
    Made a few changes so posting an updated pic.

29+, while fun on certain trails in my area was also not great on others, namely anything really narrow or steep and turny. So switched to some beefy 29 tires, a 2.5 minion up front (awesome on the mulefuts FYI) and a 2.3 vigilante on the back (not so great on the wide rims, side walls outside the knobs). Did a few rides with that set up and for some reason thought I had managed to crack the rear rim since there was a wet spot from sealant on the side thought for sure I could feel a crack... but had a spare 27.5 blunt 35 rim so decided to experiment and re-lace the whee.

Long story short I don't think I actually cracked the rim but still ended up with a 27.5 2.8" Nobby nic in the rear.

Also, fork got changed to 130. Only a couple rides so far but really liking this set up. Definitely a bit slacker then stock but way more nimble then the 29+ set up, tons of traction on the rear but still feels like I can whip the bike around switch backs and steep trails no problem. Ended up way over budget on my "winter" hardtail project (especially since I live in California where there's really no such season...), but this bike has been so much fun I don't really care

To each their own, clearly. It's odd how two people can have wildly different experiences with the same product. Myself, I simply cannot stop singing the praises of how well my '16 Stache climbs anything and everything. I know that I've cleaned multiple steep switchback climbs that I've never made before on the same trails that I've been riding for literally 20 years on all kinds of other bikes.
    God hates figs. Luke 13:6-9

mtbr member
    May 2014

So I was talking with one of my LBS folks re going with wider rims on my Stache 8 and he straight out told me sticking with my current Dusters and going tubeless was a better use of $$$$ . . . what thinks you all about this? I suppose there's always both? Also I was wondering about replacing with new wheels vs just relacing existing hubs with new rims - what wider rims fit the existing hubs/spokes?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Lets see your Stache official thread-uploadfromtaptalk1460568464160.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-uploadfromtaptalk1460568531885.jpg

First ride today. This bike just rips

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'm running a pretty close to stock configuration on my 14' stache 7. I need some new tires and better wheels, but out of the box for a year and a half, this thing still shreds like it did the day I brought it home. The Thomson Elite dropper post helps too.

Lets see your Stache official thread-tumblr_o5npg9kez61u9lbwio1_1280.jpg

I do have a question though, does the new stache 5+ rigid fork work on the old frame? I know it has a very slightly different head angle, but my LBS said it would work just fine. I'm probably really naive but I want to turn this into a bike packing rig one of these days, and 120mm suspension corrected rigid forks aren't as easy to come by. It's either that or think of a creative way to break it to the wife to be that I want another bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Interceptor View Post
    I am wondering this too, Chromag makes wonderful stuff I love there quick release seatpost collar thing is great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoP View Post
    So I was talking with one of my LBS folks re going with wider rims on my Stache 8 and he straight out told me sticking with my current Dusters and going tubeless was a better use of $$$$ . . . what thinks you all about this? I suppose there's always both? Also I was wondering about replacing with new wheels vs just relacing existing hubs with new rims - what wider rims fit the existing hubs/spokes?
    I have noticed a ton of difference the Easton Heist wheels I got are clearly better then the Dusters and they came setup for tubeless. Wider rim profile and me running at less pressure has helped with traction and cornering a ton. Not to mention they are much lighter then the Dusters.

Thus my dusters elites setup for tubeless are for sale currently.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1460568464160.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	1063645Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1460568531885.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	414.5 KB 
ID:	1063647

First ride today. This bike just rips

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Sick looking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    To each their own, clearly. It's odd how two people can have wildly different experiences with the same product.
    Very true, so many variables with riding style, terrain/location, perception, etc. Great thing with this bike is it's pretty versatile so if it aint working one way can try it another.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris307
    I do have a question though, does the new stache 5+ rigid fork work on the old frame?
    Also to the above question the fork should work fine, taper is the same between both the old and new stache, the Bowie forks are 100mm spacing so your wheel will work. Not sure what fork in particular is on your bike but looks like a reba? Going off that the A-C is ~526mm vs 495mm on the Bowie fork so would be a little lower but not too much (or if you put a 29+ on the front would probably even out).

Edit: tires gone

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have a 2016 Stache5 with the rigid fork. If I wanted to put a 130mm suspension fork, what should I go with? Is the Manitou that comes on the 7 and 9 the best option for these bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I finally got my Stache 7 out for a ride having bought it end of January, the weather here has been very wet and trails have been really muddy leaving the big Farley as the bike of choice but tonight weather was good and trails have dried out a bit - this is looking down Loch Ness:

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey guys,

does anyone know the seat clamp diameter for '16 Stache?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by meskasiaurej View Post
    Hey guys,

does anyone know the seat clamp diameter for '16 Stache?
    Thanks
    It's 36.4mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Lets see your Stache official thread-stache5.jpg

Love this bike. Next up is a 29+ Pike and some Derby/I9 wheels, then I''ll have it right where I want it.
    God hates figs. Luke 13:6-9

agu
    mtbr member
    Apart from a slipping seatpost and the "backpedaling while on the 42t" issue, this bike has been flawless!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any thoughts on stopping the seat post slipping? I had the same issue on my Farley and tightened it right up but can't actually use the clamp any more as it's too tight.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Try carbon paste. I've used it a few times and it adds to the grip.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk