Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Probably not a popular opinion to express here, but if I am being honest, I'd rather they put someone else's wheels on there TBH. Some Sun Ringle Charger Pro's, Easton Havens, WTB i23 Frequency, Arch EX, DT-Swiss, or something similar. Trek does OK with XC wheels, but I don't have a lot of confidence in them to build a high end thrasher 29" wheelset, especially for clydes like myself.

It would have to be a superb, fairly high end wheelset to get the cost of a Stache that much over the $3k mark IMHO.
    Eh my co worker has been riding the old scandium rhythm pros for 3 years with no problems and he's 6' 4" and 230. The Superfly 9 is about 2000 gbp in the UK which is around $3300, so $3500 is definitely in the ballpark for that build.

Not saying the rhythm comps would be my first choice, I work at a trek store and I don't ride bontrager wheels, mostly because I wanted something wider and cheaper than the rhythm elites. It's just what Trek would most likely spec the bike with if they made a 9. The wheels could certainly take the abuse, more so than the i23's and arch ex's which aren't exactly "high end thrasher" 29" wheelsets

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by bfowler6 View Post
    Eh my co worker has been riding the old scandium rhythm pros for 3 years with no problems and he's 6' 4" and 230. The Superfly 9 is about 2000 gbp in the UK which is around $3300, so $3500 is definitely in the ballpark for that build.

Not saying the rhythm comps would be my first choice, I work at a trek store and I don't ride bontrager wheels, mostly because I wanted something wider and cheaper than the rhythm elites. It's just what Trek would most likely spec the bike with if they made a 9. The wheels could certainly take the abuse, more so than the i23's and arch ex's which aren't exactly "high end thrasher" 29" wheelsets
    It took me three weeks to make a mess of the stock Dusters. 28 holes with 15g spokes doesn't cut it for me. I have a bud that is smaller than me and it took him longer, but the same thing happened to him. At least the Rhythm's have 14/15/14 spokes instead of straight 15g, but I am hard enough on wheels with standard butted spokes with 32 holes that I'd rather not spend a lot for 28h wheels that I will ride as hard as I do the Stache. I have also had issues with alloy nipples too. Just my preference to stick with at least 32h and ride with more confidence. For the record, I am around 250lbs (@ 6'5") before I get ready to ride. Might be different for riders of more normal proportions.

I have spent some time on Havens without issues, but not long enough to say I would be able to live with them for the long haul.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_1486_zps38149431.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_1485_zps6847fe7d.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_1490_zps2aaa646f.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_1491_zps1e77e724.jpgA little progress

Bikes!

Lets see your Stache official thread

Have any of you also noticed how the Stache likes to get sideways?! It amazes me just how easy it is to get a controlled slide going, spitting roost up with the rear wheel whilst waving to the fans at the side of the special stage?!

I feel like Juha Kankunnen on this thing and I love it!!

I'm all seriousness it is one of the most playful bikes I've ever ridden.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    How much tire pressure do you run?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

Bikes!

I'm running 32 front, 35 rear and weigh 215lbs.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    The xr3 tire and 35psi could be part of it.

back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

Bikes!
    35psi is just fine and whatever it is, it's a whole lot of fun and didn't stop me getting 2 KOM's this evening.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    The playfulness is pretty amazing. I mean, according to the interwebz I shouldn't be able to throw a 29er around this much because it isn't as "flickable" as a 26er but yet it still happens. Love it!
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    shorter rear chainstays is what they say contributes to the flickability.

I've found that the rear can brake loose a little easy but I don't think the XR3s are a traction monster on the dusters at 35psi (especially under braking). Once I go tubeless, I'll be dropping the pressure down to 30 when I get to the trails. need 35 for the 6 mile ride to the trails.
    6'3", 215 geared up with a pack.

I haven't really tested the Shimano M445 brakes on the STache 7 yet. They do Modulate well. I just hope that they can take the heat when I start to really push them. Almost thinking I should put different pads on before I put to many more miles on the rotors(at 40 easy miles now).
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Any news on Stache for 2015. Is Trek planning any changes?

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    I wonder what came first?
    The Stache or the Airborn Goblin Evolution?
    It's a pretty similar geo bike with 120 travel.
    Airborne Bicycles. Goblin Evolution
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    The playfulness is pretty amazing. I mean, according to the interwebz I shouldn't be able to throw a 29er around this much because it isn't as "flickable" as a 26er but yet it still happens. Love it!
    Many times, the numbers just don't tell the real story of how a bike will ride. In the case of the Stache as a trail bike, I thinks it's one of those deals where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Short chainstays alone, don't necessarily make a great riding bike. Like many design qualities, there can be tradeoffs with short chainstays, and they simply don't tell the whole story. For me, the Stache just has the right mix of ride characteristics. It just works.

Contrast that with another of my favorite hardtail 29ers, the latest alloy version of the Niner Air 9, and I wouldn't think that by the numbers that I would really like that bike if the Stache was also my cup of tea. That is another bike that I found that I really liked. It was a little different, but it was a confident, easy to like ride in the same way the the Stache is. I have ridden other bikes that are much closer to the Niner Air 9 by the numbers, but they just didn't affect and inspire me in the same way. I have ridden other bikes that are closer to the numbers of the Stache, that didn't really leave much of an impression as well.

Quote Originally Posted by berny2435 View Post
    shorter rear chainstays is what they say contributes to the flickability.
    The Stache has 445mm (17.52") chainstays. When there are bikes (including FS bikes) that have sub-17" chainstays, I wouldn't really characterize the chainstays on the Stache as "short". Very much middle of the pack at most in that regard IMHO.

I've found that the rear can brake loose a little easy but I don't think the XR3s are a traction monster on the dusters at 35psi (especially under braking). Once I go tubeless, I'll be dropping the pressure down to 30 when I get to the trails. need 35 for the 6 mile ride to the trails.
    6'3", 215 geared up with a pack.
    250lbs to 275lbs during my time with the Stache. I never saw the need to run more than 30psi with the XR3 (29-3) tires on the Stache whether running tubes (like I did for the first month with the bike) or tubeless. My normal ride has a mile that is paved at the beginning/end. I would rather ride on the pavement with 30psi to and from the trail, than ride the trail with 35psi, which is where the performance of the tire would seem to be most critical (it certainly is for me).

I haven't really tested the Shimano M445 brakes on the STache 7 yet. They do Modulate well. I just hope that they can take the heat when I start to really push them. Almost thinking I should put different pads on before I put to many more miles on the rotors(at 40 easy miles now).
    If you are concerned about heat building up in the brakes, I would go to larger rotors rather than switching pads. At 215lbs, you should at least have a 180mm or 185mm rotor up front. Better still would be to go 180/185 on the rear and 203mm up front.

I wonder what came first?
    The Stache or the Airborn Goblin Evolution?
    It's a pretty similar geo bike with 120 travel.
    Airborne Bicycles. Goblin Evolution
    The Stache has been out for a couple years. The Goblin EVO was released earlier this year. 'Pretty similar' indeed. More like a direct response IMHO. I would really like to try one and see if they also captured that 'certain something' that makes the Stache so much fun to ride.

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    Doesn't the stache 7 have 180front and 160 rear?

Jenson USA base xt calipers on sale. Probably just bolt right up for more stopping power and ice tech heat capacity.

back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    It very well could. The specs on the website don't specify.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yep! It does.

mtbr member
    In regards to the short chainstays I would love to get on a yelli screamy to compare it with the Stache. I almost bought one initially but no granny gear scares me so I went Stache and have been very happy. Like Jeff said, numbers only tell part of the story.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just bought a 2014 Stache 8 a few weeks ago, the thing is fantastic! I've been on a three year sabbatical from mountain biking so it seemed like the best option to get started again.

At the moment everything is stock but these are the planned upgrades (it's all on order already):

Industry Nine Trail 24H Wheelset
    KS Lev 125mm Dropper
    Shimano Ice-Tech Rotors
    34T Raceface Narrow Wide Chainring
    Shimano XTR 11-36T Cassette
    Shimano Zee SS Derailleur

Estimated weight is going to be around 1 kg less than stock, even with the dropper post.

Thoughts?

Bikes!
    You'll love it, mine's set up with the RF NW 34T ring and although it is a big ring, I am used to it now and it really flies. I haven't made any other changes, I don't mind the spec it came with but if I was going to do anything it'd be the Zee rear derailleur and the Ice-Tech rotors...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Quote Originally Posted by pkniland View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1486_zps38149431.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	903773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1485_zps6847fe7d.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	903774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1490_zps2aaa646f.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	903775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1491_zps1e77e724.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	903776A little progress
    Awesome. Love your build. I notice you have one XT brake and one slx? Also fd in picture. Are you going 2x or 1 x. Do you have an idea about weight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDontSurf View Post
    Awesome. Love your build. I notice you have one XT brake and one slx? Also fd in picture. Are you going 2x or 1 x. Do you have an idea about weight?

I got a good deal on the XT/SLX combo, I was planning going full XT but it was too good to pass up. I ended up going 2x; I really did want to go 1x just couldn't pull the trigger. I have no idea about weight. Just got back from the first ride. I was only in the big chainring once, so I definitely think I could have gotten away with 1x

Almost Final(just waiting on dropper)
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_1499.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Here is mine 2014 Stache 8

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20140708_202835.jpg
    Here is mine, all stock less the tires. Weighed 27 lbs with stock tires and cages. It is one killer bike so far. I have broke the stock chain and folded over a rear cog and only had it about 3 months now.
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20140622_203738.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

How if you ride it with the cassette broken?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDontSurf View Post
    How if you ride it with the cassette broken?
    Warranty replaced the cassette

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey, guys! What kind of abuse are you throwing at your bikes? How much can a stache handle? I know this is very subjective and based on the rider, but would a few 3-4' jumps per ride be too much for this kind of bike?

Love the simplicity of a hard tail and the ruggedness of a trail bike. And love some, of the custom builds! Sweet whips, for sure!

Thanks for the input!

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast