Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is the Stache 160/160 rotors or 180/160?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    180 up front...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've seen a few 19 inch Stache 8s, and they've all had 180mm rotors up front and 160mm rotors out back (6 bolt btw). However, that's not to say smaller or larger frames will use the same rotor sizes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    all models and frames sizes...180 up front...160 in rear

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

First ride report

First ride was a little muddy but this bike is awesome, it just wants to go fast. Setting it up tubeless this week. Added my Y.A.W.Y.D top cap for a nice personal touch.
    Lets see your Stache official thread-firstride.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-topcap.jpg

singletrak junkie
    they are just as sweet dirty as they are clean !!
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    I only had to travel 1,300 miles to get a picture of it in the wild but I finally succeeded! Visiting my folks in Florida; first time ever riding in palm trees!

I think I've got it tweaked about as much as I will for this season. Here's a list of changes:
    Tubeless w/ Bonty rim strips
    Race Face Evolve 70mm stem
    Rock Shox Reverb Stealth 120mm dropper post
    Fork upgraded to Performance FIT damper and stiffer climb blow-off valve spring
    Converted to 1x10 (Saved almost one pound) using 32T Blackspire Mono Veloce chainring
    Shortened the chain as much as possible to maintain good tension and I haven't dropped the chain in 30 miles of trail yet and I'm not using a retention device.

Lets see your Stache official thread-image.jpg

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    Fork upgraded to Performance FIT damper and stiffer climb blow-off valve spring
    Like to know more about this.

Did you do it yourself?

How much did it cost for 1) parts, 2) labor (if you didn't do it yourself)?

If you did it yourself, was it difficult?

mtbr member
    I had an issue with my stock open cartridge, it blew out and quit working all together. Sent it in to Fox they replaced the damper under warranty. When I got it back the climb setting felt super soft to me so I sent it back to them again explaining that it still didn't feel good, too soft. Ed in service offered to change out the stock damper with a Performance FIT damper at no charge and looking at the service paperwork they also put in a stiffer climb spring to make sure I was happy...

I've got nothing but good to say about their service department!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Picked up a cateye strada wireless computer for my stache, really want to start tracking my total mileage, wish i had it from the beginning! Anyonr have any experience with this model? Any ofnyou all using a computer on your stache?

singletrak junkie
    I like the srava app on my phone, it tracks mileage and elevation and shows it along with a map of your ride. It keeps all your data on your profile (on phone and or laptop) and its nice to compare ride times looking for improvement..It even lets you compare your times to others riding the same trail. I also have a wireless cateye that I use( analogue type not digital) , but the other lets me see the exact paths I took on that particular day and so much more info. I probley didn't help you out much, but wanted to share that app I am really digggin
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My galaxy nexus battery would drain out super fast running an app for several hours like that with location access enabled. Which is why i went with what I did. I did install that app and it looks neat but my phone would die running it constant.

mtbr member
    Seems like a majority of you guys have Stache 8's... any 7 users out there? The 8 is out of my budget for right now.

mtbr member
    Ask your dealer what he can do on a frame set. My Stache 8 was bought as frame set by my dealer built up with all SLX, bonty rhythm elite wheels, XR2 team tires set up tubeless and he was able to sell it to me for an even $2000.

mtbr member

Lets see your Stache official thread

$2000 is still a bit out of my budget, but it's definitely worth a shot. I'd love to own the 8. I would also love to hear from anyone with a 7.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Seems like a majority of you guys have Stache 8's... any 7 users out there? The 8 is out of my budget for right now.
    My stache is actually a 7, just with an 8 frame

they are the same frame, the only thing that seperates them is the parts, I have had zero issues with anything, its a solid as a hardtail you can get.

the recon forks have been great for my type of riding, shifters/gears all shift silently,work flawlessly. the elixer 3 brakes work perfect and have great stopping power. Cranks are super smooth, seat comfy.

I cant think of anything I dont like.

did order an easton havoc 20mm rise bar in grey today tho.

I have swapped the stem for a 65mm stem and added a nice pair of flats, and am now changing the bars to a better quality bar.

its a sweet bike, a sweet ride and i suggest you go try out a 7

the stock stache 7 came out to a lil over 1800.00 with tax just a ballpark for you

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just picked up 2013 stache 7. I must say this bike feels great. I have not had a chance to hit the trails yet but I'm sure it will only get better . I tested 3 other bikes and not one even came close to this one. Thanks to everyone for all the posts and info.

mtbr member

What'd you like most about the Stache in comparison to the others?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lets hear about some of the mods y'all have done to your stache, my stock besides my spike spank pedals, I need some ideas!.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Being I'm a Clyde at 6'3 300lbs I felt more on the bike than over the bike as compared to the carve comp line I had also tested. Also the handling of the bike ( for the test ride) I felt more In control. Very excited to see what it can do on the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lets see your Stache official thread-bike.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-bike1.jpg

My new stache 7 on the way home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Get those reflectors off yo...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    LOL.....The reflectors and stickers are all gone. Cage , bottle and saddle bag installed. Still waiting on DMR vault pedals and Odi lock grips to come in. This was in the parking lot of my LBS just after loading it to go home.

mtbr member
    What size did you end up going with? 21?

I'm 6'1 and I think I may end up with a 19, but I am not sure yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It's a 21 but its really only a 20 due to the slacker style Frame. I would say try a 19 and 21. I liked the feel off the 21 over the 23 and I'm 6'3

mtbr member

I am wondering if my LBS will have various sizes to try out. Last time I was there they didn't have anything in stock.

Trek's virtual vs. actual sizing is weird as hell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I would say try any 21 they have in stock. If its way too big then stick with the 19. If its close they should order a 21 in for you to try out. Most LBS will order what you want knowing that you may not like it and they will then have to stock it. Just only have them order it when you are ready to buy.

I hate that name.
    The virtual number is what matters, the actual number is mostly irrelevant.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Some new candy for my stache...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Some new candy for my stache...
    Good call!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Good call!
    Except. For those rims...for a stache i'd think a flow ex rim would be my personal choice...with I-9 hubs/ spokes

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks good. If you dont mind me asking what does a set like you picked up cost? What specs are the wheels (spokes etc)
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I looked at Flows, but opted for the Arch instead; I still will race this bike on occasion in an XC race. The Arches are a good compromise between the Crest and the Flow and, I'm riding the aggressive side of XC vs AllMtn/FreeRide.

These were built by Chad at Red Barn Bicycles in Montana. He spent an hour on the phone going over my riding style, bike, weight, etc and we settled on supercomp spokes with brass nipples for a long lasting true.

The pricing was waaaay more than reasonable; I would highly recommend him for a custom wheel build.

mtbr member
    What does the stock Stache 8 weigh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey guys, what is the diameter/ size of the seat post clamp, mine is very iffy and I would like to replace it. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    Hey guys, what is the diameter/ size of the seat post clamp, mine is very iffy and I would like to replace it. Thanks all.
    I'm pretty sure the seat post clamp size is 36.4mm, but I'm not 100% sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Its not listed in my manual nor on Treks website, May just have to call them and find out. Unless someone knows for sure

Thanks.

I hate that name.
    yep, 36.4

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    A 21" Stache 8 (with a Rock Shox Stealth Reverb, Shimano 520 SPD pedals, Bontrager tubeless kit (installed), and 2 (58g each) water bottle cages) came out at about 28 lbs 2 oz on our scale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    I had a 21" on the scale completely stock and it came in at about 27lbs with plastic pedals. That is depending on the scale you use. I think I saw in dirt rag or some other write up a 17.5 was about 25.6 lbs cant remember if that was with pedals. I found it best when weighing to put my bike on the same scale so I can see what the difference is.

I would think about 26-26.5 LBS would be a fair estimated weight for a stock stache 8 17.5, with pedals, tubeless and water bottle cage....ready to ride
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    So uhm, I had a chance to sit on a brooks B17 saddle this past weekend and it put my stock seat to shame, needless to say my lady ordered me one. Here is the thing, i know its not really a MTB seat, and im ordering a rock shox reverb post on friday if the LBS doesnt have one in stock, will my new brooks saddle be compatible with the reverb post for those that own this post if they can tell?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    So uhm, I had a chance to sit on a brooks B17 saddle this past weekend and it put my stock seat to shame, needless to say my lady ordered me one. Here is the thing, i know its not really a MTB seat, and im ordering a rock shox reverb post on friday if the LBS doesnt have one in stock, will my new brooks saddle be compatible with the reverb post for those that own this post if they can tell?
    The Brooks B17 will fit just fine. I have one that has seen action on several of my MTB's. The B17 is a great example of how important padding is on a bicycle saddle. If you rap one with your knuckle, it will make a knocking sound, yet they can be supremely comfortable.

Some people like to trim their B17 to look like the pic below. You can search Google for "butchering" or "trimming" a "Brooks B17" and should find plenty of info on the pros, cons, and methods available to do it.

Lets see your Stache official thread-brooks_black_b17_chopped.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice im gonna give it a long test run before I even think of modifying it, 95% of my rides im on the saddle! But will be nice to drop the seat down when needed.

For those that have the reverb,which one did you go with as I know they have different models with different travel lengths

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    new bars and grips

R.I.P. DogFriend
    For those that have the reverb,which one did you go with as I know they have different models with different travel lengths
    Will be running the 125 mm travel and 380 mm total length in a 23" frame. Should be fine. Probably could have gone with the 420mm, but YMMV for your particular measurements.

mtbr member
    I was able to get a screaming deal on a 125x420mm post so I pulled the trigger. I would have got the 380mm otherwise. I didn't need the longer post with the 21" frame. But the couple grams I could have saved with a lighter post were NOT worth the $150 saved to me...

Another thing to think about is do you want left or right handed. Again I didn't have a choice with the deal I got but I would have personally got a right then flipped it over and used it on the left side under the bar where my shifter was. (Don't have a left shifter now because I went 1x10) Instead I have a lefty on the left, it's just more vulnerable on top of the bar than under...

singletrak junkie
    Im thinking about switching my seatpost to a 20mm offset, from the straight post it came with. My mamba had a 20 mm offset and I felt comfortable pedaling that thing around all day. I have over 100 trail miles and something feels off (not comfortable) while I pedal ?? Does this make sense, before I spend the $$. think its a 31.6mm post.
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Hey guys. Sweet Staches.
    I'm 5'11", 32" inseam. Looking at a Stache 8 hard. LBS guys suggests 17.5. The Stache 7 they had in the shop was a 17.5, and felt good, but that was only a quick standover test.
    How big are you? How big is your Stache?
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    Hey guys. Sweet Staches.
    I'm 5'11", 32" inseam. Looking at a Stache 8 hard. LBS guys suggests 17.5. The Stache 7 they had in the shop was a 17.5, and felt good, but that was only a quick standover test.
    I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and riding the 17.5. I opted to put a 100mm stem on mine from the 90mm as I like to stretch out a bit more.

A few recent pics:

I like using the xxx carbon seatpost, but I think I'm going to ditch it in favor of a reverb dropper.

I hate that name.
    I'm 5'11", 32" inseam. I ride a 19 with a 105mm stem, but my "fit" (short femurs) requires me to be over the cranks more, so I run my saddle kind of far forward, which of course shortens the effective top tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Im 5`11 too, i have the 19 inch

Have a 65mm stem on mine

mtbr member
    If it were me I'd probably opt for the 19" and get a shorter stem. Shorter stems on this frame definitely make it a little more playful and easier to bunny hop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Got the 125mm reverb stealth, we were back and forth on the 150mm and if there would be enough room in the frame for it to drop.. It wass too close for comfort so the 125mm was chosen, will hopefully be in this week, picked up a saris bones 3 bike rack while at the shop today too lol

My bike is at the Lbs, awaiting a reverb and a tubeless conversion, a bout a week and a half ill have it back, will be worth the wait!

mtbr member

Hey guys. Sweet Staches.
    I've been wondering the same question for a guy like me - 6'1" with a 34" inseam. Seems like I am sort of in between sizes.

mtbr member
    A lot depends on how you are proportioned. I am 5' 10" with a 33 ish inseam. In seam is just a guide to try and get an idea. The most accurate way would be a measurement from your sit bones to the floor but no one has a chart for that. I feel that I run some where between the 19 and 21. I have a 19, but I also have a lot of exposed seat post. If you ride hard, this can be a potential trouble spot for the frame. One of the reasons I chose Trek was the great warranty. I chose a 19 because of top tube length. with long legs and short arms, I need a bike that is shorter in the cock pit. I also need to get the bars higher to get me in to a comfortable position. Even with the 19, I run without the steering tube on the fork trimmed, a super short DH stem, and riser bars. It's all about getting that final fit of everything just right.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys.
    My initial gut thought was that I belonged on a 19". My LBS buddy suggested the 17.5," though his paradigm is a bit more park/DH oriented. What I'm seeing here is guys my size (5'11" 32"inseam) and even shorter, rocking 19" Staches w/ shortish stems. Then of course mhoton is an inch shorter than me and IS riding the 17.5, though with a 100mm stem.
    I think I'm leaning 19".
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My pedals finally made it across the pond (DMR VAULT). Also got my first flat tire (stupid thorn).

Lets see your Stache official thread-bike.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-bike1.jpg

mtbr member

Thanks for the input guys.
    My initial gut thought was that I belonged on a 19". My LBS buddy suggested the 17.5," though his paradigm is a bit more park/DH oriented. What I'm seeing here is guys my size (5'11" 32"inseam) and even shorter, rocking 19" Staches w/ shortish stems. Then of course mhoton is an inch shorter than me and IS riding the 17.5, though with a 100mm stem.
    I think I'm leaning 19".
    My initial gut for someone my size would be a 19" too. A 21" 29er just seems huge in my mind. Guess I won't know until I give them both a try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Im in the same boat you are, 6 even with a 33 inseam. longish arms. Right in between sizes. I have my LBS ordering a 19 and 21 to see which fits my style better. I tend to like a slightly stretched out ride. I guess we'll see

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaketparker View Post
    Im in the same boat you are, 6 even with a 33 inseam. longish arms. Right in between sizes. I have my LBS ordering a 19 and 21 to see which fits my style better. I tend to like a slightly stretched out ride. I guess we'll see
    I would guess that the 21 would be more to your liking. The longer top tube will mean that you can run a shorter stem and make the bike a little quicker handling.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jaketparker View Post
    I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The one thing i found with the 19 inch, and the 90mm stem that came on it, It made it superhard for me to stand up and pedal. As soon as i went to the shorter stem it was like night and day..

I hated being stretched out, I have way more control now with the 65mm DH stem and Riser bars

Sweet stache M320, sucks on the flat tire, are you tubeless?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    I would guess that the 21 would be more to your liking. The longer top tube will mean that you can run a shorter stem and make the bike a little quicker handling.
    I tried a 19 and 21 superfly al elite, and was more comfortable on the 21. Geometry compared to the stache is very similar. We were going to play around with shorter stems, but my LBS offered to purchase both sizes and we'd play around when they came in. I have a bit of time before riding season so I was happy to wait. From Fairbanks AK so its 10 degrees F out right now with a ton of snow left.

Gouda cheez, bikes should be in later this month so Ill let you know my impressions when I test them out
    Last edited by jaketparker; 04-13-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: quote

R.I.P. DogFriend
    For you guys doing the frame up builds, and using the internal cable routing, are the derailleur housings to be run the full length from shifter to derailleur?

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    For you guys doing the frame up builds, and using the internal cable routing, are the derailleur housings to be run the full length from shifter to derailleur?
    No. For the front shift cable, I ran the housing to the stop in the hole on the right front of the top tube, it comes out at left rear and from there housing to the stop on the front derailleur. For the rear, it's the stop on the left front of the down tube and it comes out on top of the dt at the bb with housing from there.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    No. For the front shift cable, I ran the housing to the stop in the hole on the right front of the top tube, it comes out at left rear and from there housing to the stop on the front derailleur. For the rear, it's the stop on the left front of the down tube and it comes out on top of the dt at the bb with housing from there.
    Ah yes, I wasn't looking far enough in to see the cable stops. Thanks!

singletrak junkie
    Im 6'1 and was fitted for, and feel comfortable on my 21 inch Stache 8
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Here is my current bar set up and some blingy new pedals. Plan to trade out the bars for some better ones when i figure out the amount of rise i need. Gotta love cheap ebay parts for figuring things out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So, I just moved to the Netherlands and Trek only sell the Stache in UK and Ireland in the Europe region, which means I'm gonna have to fly to UK in person to pick it up. The question is I'm 6 feet, which frame size I will need? 19 or 21?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Friz what did you do with the green cranks? Still have them? Care to sell em?

mtbr member
    Friz what did you do with the green cranks? Still have them? Care to sell em?
    Never had em. built from frame set.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am 5'11" with a 32 inch inseam. The 19 with a 65mm stem fits me perfect . Got an xfusion Hilo post and 740mm renthal 1 inch rise bars. The rest is all stock stache 8. One of the most fun bikes I have owned. The bike rocks!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    im 5'11 as well red, I too rock a 65mm stem on my 19" stache. It changed my bike for sure.

singletrak junkie
    I'm really thinking about switching to a straight handle bar, been having issues with my fingers locking up and wrist hurtin...never had that problem. I'm tryin to get this thing set up like it was built and spec'd just for me, I really love the bike
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Going 1X. Can't wait to try it out on the trails. If they ever dry out.

mtbr member

I picked up my 19" Stache 8 yesterday. I'm definitely impressed with the kit, and am happy that I went with the 19" over the 17.5". (Once again, 5'11", 32" inseam) The 90mm stem made the bike feel way too long, so when I got home I poached a 70mm off of my fatbike, which made a huge difference in terms of bike handling. I've since ordered a 60mm, and think that it will be the sweet spot for me.
    I did a 20+ mile road ride shakedown today. This is my first 29er, and my first complete bike since 1993. I've always built my own, back in the days before marriage and kids. For the price, the Stache 8 is a great value. Despite having a light-ish fatbike, and a well-maintained, 5 year-old Blur LT, I'm sure the Stache will be my go-to bike for the foreseeable future. I do plan to get a stealth Reverb, and look forward to tubelessing the tires.
    Lets see your Stache official thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366409487.340943.jpg
    -Chris

mtbr member

flat pedals on my Stache 7

i love my new Crank Bros 50/50 IIs
    Lets see your Stache official thread-20130419_223538.jpg
    Ride ON!
    BMXer since '66, MTBer since '86, longtime roadie ... "Life is a Circle"

mtbr member

my new 7 (17")

cant wait to ride this bloody sweet new wagon wheeler!
    Lets see your Stache official thread-20130419_224528.jpg
    Ride ON!
    BMXer since '66, MTBer since '86, longtime roadie ... "Life is a Circle"

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

17.5"

Picked this up yesterday and went straight to the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-stache-7-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

So I picked up a Reverb Stealth post. Question is, how do you best route the hose once it exits the seat tube?

Pics would be great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well my customizing is completely Done, and Im finished. I ****en love my Stache

Eddy's Bike Shop Did an awesome Job on the Reverb Install

125mm Reverb Installed
    Brooks B17 Tangerine Color Saddle Installed, Best Saddle Ever So Freakin Comfy
    Tubeless Tires Conversion Completed

Damn This Bike Is Light, Badass and One of a Kind.. Pic Heavy Yall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Question is, how do you best route the hose once it exits the seat tube?
    Pics would be great.
    Mine is run pretty much the same as jangles except on the left side...
    I ran it up with the rear brake then left a little slack in front of the head tube, enough so that my handlebars will rotate 180º either direction.

Lets see your Stache official thread-image-1.jpg

And here's a shot of my steed basking in the Florida sun...

Loving the reverb! First dropper and I really can't imagine going without one now. I know I could use it more than I do but even just for switching between full height for gravel, 3/4 for trail and low for tech / down I'm sold!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Mine is run pretty much the same as jangles except on the left side...
    I ran it up with the rear brake then left a little slack in front of the head tube, enough so that my handlebars will rotate 180º either direction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	792999

And here's a shot of my steed basking in the Florida sun...

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	793002

Loving the reverb! First dropper and I really can't imagine going without one now. I know I could use it more than I do but even just for switching between full height for gravel, 3/4 for trail and low for tech / down I'm sold!
    Excellent! Thanks for the pics. Now I need to find an hour to get it installed!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Those of you using the Rockshox Reverb what total length did you do with? 380mm or 420mm?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

The Reverb I got was the 380 version and 125mm of drop. I could have used the 355 with no problem, but couldn't find one.

Stache goes good with a new 1Up rack!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the reply.

The 1Up rack is sweet isn't it! I couldn't be happier with it. The day this pic was taken I don't know what got more compliments, the Stache or the Rack!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-stache-7-2.jpg  

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Beastwood View Post
    Those of you using the Rockshox Reverb what total length did you do with? 380mm or 420mm?

Thanks

Have used the 380mm Reverb on both a 21" and 23" Stache 8. I'm up around 6'5", and the 380mm Reverb was only leaving about 1" of post in addition to the minimum insertion line. I could see the line in the seat tube cutout (near the bottom of it). With the 23" having a seat ube that is 1.5" inches longer, I should have about 2.5" (+/-) in addition to the minimum insertion portion of the post. There is 2" of usable post visible and that gives me 32.75" from the CL of the BB to the top of the saddle. The 420mm version may be too long for me on the 23" frame.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by jeffj; 04-25-2013 at 10:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    It does thanks.

I ride a 17.5" frame. If it weren't for my short T-rex arms I would be riding a 19". As you can see from the pic above I have quite a bit of seat post showing. I'm concerned with the 380mm I may be right at or near the minimum insertion length.

From my measurments the 420mm will work but won't leave much room for error. It would be nice if they made a 400mm version like the stock seat post!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just finished my Stache build, going out for the first ride tomorrow morning. Weighs 25 lbs 6 ounces with current setup in size 21". Will be changing stem / seat, getting cables shorter when everything is dialed.

Stache 8 Frame w/ Fox Fork
    Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels
    Bontrager 29.3 Team Issue Tubeless
    XT Double Crank
    XTR Chain
    XTR Pedals
    XTR Shifters
    XT Brakes
    XT Rotors 180/160
    XT Rear Derailleur
    XT Front Derailleur
    RXL Bar
    Thomson Elite Post
    ODI Rogue lockon

Lets see your Stache official thread-1.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-4.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-5.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-6.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-2.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-3.jpg
    Last edited by DavezFever; 04-27-2013 at 08:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    6.1 225 pounds.....Few of the LBS don't have any Stache bikes in stock for me to test ride! i'm at 34 inseam and wondering if the 19 or 21 will be better fit???? Going to order the 7 this week freaking so excited

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thats an awesome looking setup! Hows the 21" fit you? I am just over 6' and am debating getting the 19 or the 21. I know the 21 actually measures 20" so i am leaning towards that but it just sounds big. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm 6'4 and ride a 21" stache 7 and love it. It fits me very well. I would say at just over 6' you would prob fit the 19" better than the 21". Little smaller is better than too big. My 21" seat is down as far as it will go and it is just right. So if you go with a 21" you will def be cutting down the seat post and swaping out the stem to one about half the size. I may cut a inch or so off my seat post just to get behind it a little easier till I can afford a dropper post. But ride what feels best to you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    I'm 6'4 and ride a 21" stache 7 and love it. It fits me very well. I would say at just over 6' you would prob fit the 19" better than the 21". Little smaller is better than too big. My 21" seat is down as far as it will go and it is just right. So if you go with a 21" you will def be cutting down the seat post and swaping out the stem to one about half the size. I may cut a inch or so off my seat post just to get behind it a little easier till I can afford a dropper post. But ride what feels best to you.
    Thanks for the info! I was thinking the 19 would be perfect fit...my current 29er has some of the same measurements so be like a glove. LBS has it for $1,599 and putting 30% down to order it for me can't wait to be part of the Stache Family...Trek makes amazing bike and can't wait to ride another one again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hiphopfred View Post
    Thats an awesome looking setup! Hows the 21" fit you? I am just over 6' and am debating getting the 19 or the 21. I know the 21 actually measures 20" so i am leaning towards that but it just sounds big. Thanks!
    I'm 6' 3.5" with a 34 pant inseam. Seat is always really high on my bikes but loving the feel of the 21" stache after my first real ride today. I have a 80mm stem on there now though and want to bring it in to 60 or so. Felt really good with the 720 RXL bar but id imagine a bit wider with the 750 Rhythm bar would be awesome aswell.

This bike just flys! Really confident platform with the 142x12 on the rear. Was faster on a downhill section than I have been on some full suspension bikes. Am really glad I went with this over the Superfly.

Lets see your Stache official thread-2.jpg

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by DavezFever View Post
    I'm 6' 3.5" with a 34 pant inseam. . . . . Felt really good with the 720 RXL bar but id imagine a bit wider with the 750 Rhythm bar would be awesome aswell.
    I'm close to 6'5", and riding a 23" Stache 8 with one of the new Niner Flat Top RDO at 780mm wide and have really come to like the extra width compared to the 720mm wide bar on my other bike.

Quote Originally Posted by DavezFever View Post
    This bike just flys! . . . . Was faster on a downhill section than I have been on some full suspension bikes.
    1) Yes, it does. 2) Me too.

mtbr member
    Had a great ride at Caloosahatchee Regional Park and ran into something new for me, a turtle! I figured I'd take a picture of Mr Green with my green rig:
    Lets see your Stache official thread-photo.jpg

I also saw a couple deer on the ride as well.

mtbr member
    If anyone is looking for some green flats to run around town on your favorite LBS (Walmart) has you covered!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Well, My LBS finally got the 19 and 21 stache 8 in. I liked the feel of the 21 a little bit more than the 19, but my boys were resting right on the top tube. Ending up buying the 19. Very happy. Just need the snow to melt now, its been a long winter. Im right at 6 foot even with a 33 inseam

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey guys, paid spam. I've decided not to use the Reverb Stealth I picked up for my stache. It is a 380mm version, 125mm drop, 31.6mm post, left hand actuator. Like new condition with bleed kit, etc. $250. Also selling the wheels from my stache 8, like new and in excellent condition. Setup with TLR tubeless rim strips and valves. $250. And a like new RXL carbon bar. Please let me know if interested via PM.

Reverb Stealth, Bontrager 29'r wheels, RXL carbon bar - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

I hate that name.
    If anyone is looking for some green flats to run around town on your favorite LBS (Walmart) has you covered!

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	795912
    Did you buy them? Going to be tough to install with that 1/2" spindle.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 659