Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,600 of 2983
    mtbr member
    So by the time you buy forks, wheels, tires, rotors and cassettes, you might as well just get a whole 27.5 bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

mtbr member
    Cool setup

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

western NC
    Lots of better options out there for that kind of thing. But that's just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    But yes, I get what you're saying, it's half the radius.
    Do you mean it is the radius, which is half the diameter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity View Post
    I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the fact that the Stache, while technically able to take all three wheelsets (27.5+, 29, 29+), is primarily built for 29+ so running the smaller diameter wheelsets (27.5+ and 29) will result in a nearly one inch bottom bracket drop. Is that a compromise that will result in the BB striking more "hop-over" obstacles on the trail? Does anyone have experience running the Stache with smaller diameter 27.5+ or 29 wheelsets and is the BB drop an issue or not. I ask because I'm interested in building up a Stache as a 27.5+/29er and not 29+. Thx
    Buy a 2015 Stache,
    A friend of mine did what you want to do. 27.5x2.8 and loves it. No problems

Treks has the new Stache's listed to be able to run all 3 wheel sizes so BB drop can't be too bad.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    With the carbon frame, the bottom bracket is lower than on the aluminum frame. I get more pedal strikes on my 9.6 than I used to on the aluminum frame. Going to a smaller wheel would make it worse.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKaiser View Post
    Do you mean it is the radius, which is half the diameter?
    Dammit, yes. Been a day or two since any advance math classes.

Master Gardener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    I would think it would be the opposite...130 for 29er and 140 for 27.5+.
    Correct. Not enough caffeine.

Captain Climber
    Anybody have problems getting their new 29+ Staches in their bike racks? I have a Yakima Hold Up and while the tires just barely fit in it... the strap that holds the rear tire in is very hard to undo because of the wide tire.

mtbr member
    Thule T2...no problems

Captain Climber
    double post

western NC
    1up USA rack here, fits fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbJer View Post
    With the carbon frame, the bottom bracket is lower than on the aluminum frame. I get more pedal strikes on my 9.6 than I used to on the aluminum frame. Going to a smaller wheel would make it worse.
    32.8 vs 32.9 I don't see making that big of a difference.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Anybody have problems getting their new 29+ Staches in their bike racks? I have a Yakima Hold Up and while the tires just barely fit in it... the strap that holds the rear tire in is very hard to undo because of the wide tire.
    I let air out of the tire. fits fine.

I am ordering a Northshore NS-4 rack though. Holds them by the headtube. Tire size doesn't mean anything.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Just bought a Stache and noticed this same thing. I can live with maneuvering the front but something's gotta give on the back. I don't think letting air out each time is going to be a slick solution either. I think putting pressure on the strap to keep it in line while pulling on it may work okay, but still not ideal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

New Stache 7

Picked up my new Stache 7 this past week. I was anxious for the first ride so pardon the dork guard.

Lets see your Stache official thread-g0052524_cropped_smaller.jpg

Australia
    Looking good man! Enjoy it. I'm sure it'll be everything you hoped it would be
    29+ Stache

Mr. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcl2u2 View Post
    Thule T2...no problems
    God I love my Thule T2 rack!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-trek_stache7_800x.jpg  

western NC
    Please tell me you don't drive with it on the front?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I found out this weekend that the Stache fits inside a Forester!Lets see your Stache official thread-29-fits.jpg

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobie View Post
    I found out this weekend that the Stache fits inside a Forester!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29 fits.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	1126553
    Wow.. bigger than my Impreza and XV though so I doubt I can do it.

mtbr member
    Bigger than mine too

mtbr member
    Please tell me you don't drive with it on the front?
    4 Bikes on the back, 4 bikes on the front, 2 on the roof. My Buddy's Tahoe is the ultimate shuttle vehicle!

western NC
    Doesn't really seem safe to be driving down the road with bikes obscuring your vision to me.

Mr. Member
    The Stache on the front T2 rack really looks worse than it is... I barely notice any visibility issues.

Rmpl

mtbr member
    Yeah but both of my T2 racks were bought by 2 different people smashing into the back of my wife's car. Luckily it only trashed the racks and their cars. That's not going to work when it's on the front.

Captain Climber
    My wife has had her Stache 7 for a month now. She is a newb mountain biker who went from riding my old 26" and walking over most big roots, logs and sugar sand to immediately riding right over them. So it is a great bike for a beginner too. Gives them lots of confidence.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

2017 Stache 7

New 2017 Stache 7 with Race Face Chester Pedals, Ergon GA2 Grips, Fox Transfer Dropper and KS Southpaw Remote. Had a little mix up with Jenson on the parts for the dropper, but they made it right. Installed Dropper yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-stache-7-1.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-stache-7.jpg  

2017 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Yeah! Finally over 45F this morning! And 65F prognosis for the afternoon.

Took Stache to work :-)

friendly greetings
    Frank

mtbr member
    Get some dirt!

western NC
    New dropper for the Stache. More drop, and stealth routing.

Lets see your Stache official thread-fullsizerender.jpg

Australia
    Those drop lines look great. It's been a good week for you!!
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    ok guys, What's the trick to getting these 3" tires to sit on the beads
    This front tire is owning me
    Too Many .

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    Those drop lines look great. It's been a good week for you!!
    Thanks, and yes it has, I'm very fortunate. The other addition should be here tomorrow, tools and accessories are already lying in wait.

Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    For tubeless? I had to put tubes in, pump them up to 30 psi for about 24hrs to stretch the tire. Then, only break one bead to remove the tube then go around the tire with a tire lever and seat all the bead you can after removing said tube before trying to inflate tubeless, leave the gap on the bottom opposite the valve stem, and hit it with some soapy water and a compressor with some ass behind it. Should pop right on. If that fails, one more layer of rim tape can help.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    How many layers, and what kind of tape are you running?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What HPI said but I did not wait 24hrs, put in the tube, pumped it up till the bead seated on both sides, popped one side, pulled out the tube, put in the new valve and pumped it back up. If memory serves it popped back on around 30psi.

2 rows of Gorilla tape but the before those 2 rows I put 1/2"x1" pieces of G tape over each of the little holes all the way around the inside of the rim trying not to go up onto the bead area.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    How many layers, and what kind of tape are you running?
    i think stans and 1 layer
    Too Many .

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    but the before those 2 rows I put 1/2"x1" pieces of G tape over each of the little holes all the way around the inside of the rim trying not to go up onto the bead area.
    That's what I did too. The Mulefuts application of pre-installed tape is pretty poorly done.

With regards to getting the bead to seat, I did as HPIguy suggested. Which is to use a tyre lever to gently work the bead as close to the rim as possible before inflating. This is crucial. By doing it this way I didn't have any problems using a regular floor pump. I got away without using any tubes to help.

Here's a video explaining the tyre lever process: https://youtu.be/WyF29qi82Ws?t=117

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That's what I did too. The Mulefuts application of pre-installed tape is pretty poorly done.
    Should have also said I cut off a strip of the stock rim strip off both sides about 1/8" to give the Gorilla tape more to adhere to... guess my instructions were a bit lacking!

D

western NC
    DO NOT use Gorilla tape, that shit is a nightmare to get off the rim. But, you work in the industry Brent, so you already know better.

Australia
    Should have also said I cut off a strip of the stock rim strip off both sides about 1/8" to give the Gorilla tape more to adhere to... guess my instructions were a bit lacking!

D
    I did the same thing just to be safe

DO NOT use Gorilla tape, that shit is a nightmare to get off the rim. But, you work in the industry Brent, so you already know better.
    I used the clear Gorilla Tape which doesn't have filament like the regular tape. Hopefully this'll make a big difference.
    29+ Stache

western NC
    From my research, it's all more of a PITA than actual bike tape to remove should the need arise. But, I hope not, for anyone that needs to remove it in the future. I ordered some tape for my Duroc 50s, my 40s were already taped. My 50s were pre taped too, but needed another layer.

Australia
    This is my first tubeless setup so time will tell, haha! If not, I'll definitely invest in the proper stuff next time. Cheers mate
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    May 2015

Just built

I'm in the middle of selling off some of my bikes to buy some equipment for a new business I'm starting.

I have a family member that works for Trek and was able to get me a good price on a frame so I took some parts that I had recently added to my Foes Mutz to try it as a plus bike and put then on the frame.

Set up as follows.
    21.5 Frame (came marked "Stache 9.8")
    27.5+ wheels, Scrapers, Hope pro 4, Maxxis Chronicles 3.0 TR EXO (blah blahs) and The stock 29+ setup from my relatives 9.6, Might buy line 40's but they're on back order until April 1
    Pike RCT3 Boost 29/27.5+ 140mm. Working on Getting a 29+ lower in case I go the 29+ route (The 29+ fits now but won't with a more aggressive tire)
    RF Turbine cranks with 26 tooth, Have a set of Next SL G4's that'll probably end up on here but they are 175mm and I wanted to try 170s and check for crank strikes first
    XT Brakes, rear mech, shifter.
    E13 9-44 casette
    Reverb Stealth B1 170mm
    800mm Joysticks
    Truvativ 50mm stem
    Forgot which seat but it's a Bontrager and it's legit comfortable.
    Rear axle all the way forward.

I've only ridden it about 10 miles but after spending two years on the Mutz it's plenty zippy, I haven't tried the big wheels yet but the little ones are pretty fun. the bike is light I'll probably need to go to a 28 or 30 in the front. I took it up some pretty good 18-20% climbs on my normal loop today and even with the wheel forward, short stem, and the long fork it climbed just fine with no real tendency to lift inappropriately

I built this to be my only bike until the business gets up and going so I HAVE to like it or sell it and quit riding, So far so good

Lets see your Stache official thread-stache-2.jpg
    Lets see your Stache official thread-stache-3s.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefariousd View Post
    I'm in the middle of selling off some of my bikes to buy some equipment for a new business I'm starting.

I have a family member that works for Trek and was able to get me a good price on a frame so I took some parts that I had recently added to my Foes Mutz to try it as a plus bike and put then on the frame.

Set up as follows.
    21.5 Frame (came marked "Stache 9.8")
    27.5+ wheels, Scrapers, Hope pro 4, Maxxis Chronicles 3.0 TR EXO (blah blahs) and The stock 29+ setup from my relatives 9.6, Might buy line 40's but they're on back order until April 1
    Pike RCT3 Boost 29/27.5+ 140mm. Working on Getting a 29+ lower in case I go the 29+ route (The 29+ fits now but won't with a more aggressive tire)
    RF Turbine cranks with 26 tooth, Have a set of Next SL G4's that'll probably end up on here but they are 175mm and I wanted to try 170s and check for crank strikes first
    XT Brakes, rear mech, shifter.
    E13 9-44 casette
    Reverb Stealth B1 170mm
    800mm Joysticks
    Truvativ 50mm stem

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stache 2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	1126998
    nice build, and that pic is awesome!
    Good luck on the business!!

western NC
    ^^That thing looks aggro AF in 27.5+ mode!

This is my first tubeless setup so time will tell, haha! If not, I'll definitely invest in the proper stuff next time. Cheers mate
    No worries man, I've just read the stories of people spending hours trying get the glue off their rims once the tape needs replaced.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Does anyone have any experience with the Stan's Hugo's? Worth changing from the Mulefats to or just wait and get some carbon?

western NC
    New fork showed up today, Magnum Pro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0488.jpg  

Australia
    Hell yeah! The matte black finish looks sick compared to the gloss finish on my Comp. They didn't happen to give you a few different coloured "M" stickers did they? That would be a nice touch.
    29+ Stache

Australia
    Does anyone have any experience with the Stan's Hugo's? Worth changing from the Mulefats to or just wait and get some carbon?
    I don't have any experience with them but I'd say they'll be a lot better. The Durocs on the 2017 Staches are apparently a lot better than the Mulefuts too.

That said, my plan is to wait and get some carbon. Nextie Premium 45mm (39mm internal) laced to Hope Pro4 hubs, DT comp spokes, brass nipples.

They'll set me back US$1050 (AU$1380) built and ready to roll. I could probably sell the Mulefuts for US$250 so in reality the new carbon wheelset will set me back US$800.

([NXT29XA45] PREMIUM Asymmetric 45mm Width Carbon Fiber 29+ PLUS Mountain Bike Clincher Rim [Tubeless Compatible])
    29+ Stache

western NC
    Hell yeah! The matte black finish looks sick compared to the gloss finish on my Comp. They didn't happen to give you a few different coloured "M" stickers did they? That would be a nice touch.
    Yep, sure did, but no blue to match my bike. And I screwed up the black ones for that Stealth look. Oh well.

On the wheels, from my research the Durocs are stronger and lighter than the Hugos. And I prefer a narrower rim for up to 3" tires, so I'm running Duroc 40s.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I've had great luck with the Nextie Jungle Fox 50's. I'm a bigger dude at 255lbs.

mtbr member
    I've never had the Hugos, but I wanted a set. A Stans rep actually talked me out of getting them saying they were too wide for a 3" tire and you would have lots of rim strikes. He recommended the new stuff (Majors or Barons). I would wait for carbons, but when I was checking around I believe the American Classic Smokin Gun was lighter than the Line Pros and they're aluminum.

Master Gardener

Lets see your Stache official thread

Sorry if this has been covered already- what psi are you all running on your Stache?

I'm 43 years old and yesterday was the first time I've ever damaged a rim. Happened on my 2017 9.8 (alum 40mm rims, not the stock carbon rims). I've been running about 18 psi and weigh 205. The trail (Snakecharmer in Durango) is fast and rocky.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1 View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered already- what psi are you all running on your Stache?

I'm 43 years old and yesterday was the first time I've ever damaged a rim. Happened on my 2017 9.8 (alum 40mm rims, not the stock carbon rims). I've been running about 18 psi and weigh 205. The trail (Snakecharmer in Durango) is fast and rocky.
    That sucks! Was it a direct hit where the tire bottomed out on the rim, or a side strike or glancing blow? Sometimes crap just happens. Riding style plays a part too; i.e. light on the bike and floating through vs freight training it. I'm down to 195lbs sans gear, running 36mm internal aluminum rims, and I'm running 15F, and 15.5R on my Stache. BUT, trails here are only mildly technical in spots here and there. For really rocky stuff, I'd likely add a PSI or so at each end and tune from there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks guys on my Hugo question, think we'll wait. Initial reviews are that they are a bit soft / dent easily but I think they changed that in the 2nd version (if I read it correctly), although I think the ones I found might be the 1st version, but at $500 and they may not take any abuse doesn't make sense to me.

Will check out the Smokin Gun though.

Thanks
    D

western NC
    I spent the afternoon cutting, and installing my new fork and dropper post. I took my time cutting, and drove the star nut in with the fork laying on it's side so as not to put any pressure on the rebound adjuster or air valve. Found a trick online to use an old stem as a guide for the star nut setting tool, worked like a champ. I cannot wait to ride tomorrow!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0502.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0503.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0504.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0506.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0507.jpg  

Australia
    Yep, sure did, but no blue to match my bike. And I screwed up the black ones for that Stealth look. Oh well.
    I asked Manitou for the decal templates a couple of months ago and they kindly obliged. I'll upload them to google drive for you. The only difference is that the Manitou badge says "Comp" but tbh I wouldn't bother getting that particular decal made up anyway, it's so small. If you pass these files onto a decal shop they'll be able to make them any colour you like.

Rar file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...3QzXzlmRFA4UmM

I run 11psi front and 12psi at the back on stock Mulefut 50's (inner 45mm). I weigh 180lb. My trails are quite fast and reasonably rocky in places (sharp rocks) with 2-3 ft drops scattered around. Luckily I've never had a rim strike. That does suck. Like HPIguy said, perhaps you just got unlucky?

I spent the afternoon cutting, and installing my new fork and dropper post. I took my time cutting, and drove the star nut in with the fork laying on it's side so as not to put any pressure on the rebound adjuster or air valve. Found a trick online to use an old stem as a guide for the star nut setting tool, worked like a champ. I cannot wait to ride tomorrow!!
    Damn, it's all happening! Nice work, it's definitely a measure twice cut once scenario haha! The bike is looking awesome, I love the blue accent from the Ergon grips. I'm looking forward to hearing how the fork rides compared to the Machete.

I had a good ride this morning, although a 5:30am start meant that I could barely see the trail. The shitty thing about being first down is that you unwillingly become the spider web collector and it's smooth sailing for everyone after you. There are few things more annoying than trying to wipe spider web off your face while riding one-handed down rocky singletrack
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    I don't have any experience with them but I'd say they'll be a lot better. The Durocs on the 2017 Staches are apparently a lot better than the Mulefuts too.

That said, my plan is to wait and get some carbon. Nextie Premium 45mm (39mm internal) laced to Hope Pro4 hubs, DT comp spokes, brass nipples.

They'll set me back US$1050 (AU$1380) built and ready to roll. I could probably sell the Mulefuts for US$250 so in reality the new carbon wheelset will set me back US$800.

([NXT29XA45] PREMIUM Asymmetric 45mm Width Carbon Fiber 29+ PLUS Mountain Bike Clincher Rim [Tubeless Compatible])
    Nice. I'm having a set of Nox rims built up with I9 hubs 39mm IW, $1320
    Too Many .

western NC
    I asked Manitou for the decal templates a couple of months ago and they kindly obliged. I'll upload them to google drive for you. The only difference is that the Manitou badge says "Comp" but tbh I wouldn't bother getting that particular decal made up anyway, it's so small. If you pass these files onto a decal shop they'll be able to make them any colour you like.

Rar file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...3QzXzlmRFA4UmM

Damn, it's all happening! Nice work, it's definitely a measure twice cut once scenario haha! The bike is looking awesome, I love the blue accent from the Ergon grips. I'm looking forward to hearing how the fork rides compared to the Machete.

I had a good ride this morning, although a 5:30am start meant that I could barely see the trail. The shitty thing about being first down is that you unwillingly become the spider web collector and it's smooth sailing for everyone after you. There are few things more annoying than trying to wipe spider web off your face while riding one-handed down rocky singletrack
    Oh, thank you!! I may have some made, although the gray and black matches my wheels and tires though. Yes, my first fork cutting, so I was a bit nervous about it. But having the right tools and taking my time and it ended up good. Thanks, I LOVE this bike, so much fun.

I don't know if I could be motivated to ride that early, but props for doing it. And yes, I'm usually the spider collector as I'm the only one that doesn't mind them. If going downhill I generally just let them be till the end. Their woods spiders, and won't hurt you. Then again, from my reddit research, everything in Australia is trying to kill you, right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I was just thinking that I don't mind spiderwebs around here but yeah in Australia it might be a little more scary haha.

Mountain Lion Bait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome pic!

Australia
    Nice. I'm having a set of Nox rims built up with I9 hubs 39mm IW, $1320
    I hope they'll be nice (sorry, terrible pun). There's a Nextie distributor not far from me who offers the combo and the price is right so it makes sense. It'll be a little while yet though, I need to scrounge some pennies together first.

The i9 hubs are looovely. I'd be tempted to throw a few well placed coloured spokes in with the black spokes. Like this: Industry Nine Torch Wheels?

I hope you managed to get that front tyre sorted

Oh, thank you!! I may have some made, although the gray and black matches my wheels and tires though. Yes, my first fork cutting, so I was a bit nervous about it. But having the right tools and taking my time and it ended up good. Thanks, I LOVE this bike, so much fun.

I don't know if I could be motivated to ride that early, but props for doing it. And yes, I'm usually the spider collector as I'm the only one that doesn't mind them. If going downhill I generally just let them be till the end. Their woods spiders, and won't hurt you. Then again, from my reddit research, everything in Australia is trying to kill you, right?
    No probs at all, I didn't realise they gave you grey stickers as well. They'll do nicely for now then

Good idea using a pipe cutter instead of a jig and hacksaw, I'll remember that!

I love this bike too, it's just so good. I often get asked about it when I'm at the trailhead and I can't stop singing its praises. It's funny, I used to think that the 29x3 tyres looked disproportionate, but now it's the other way around and "normal" tyres looks strange to me.

It's true, there are thousands of things that'll try to kill you in Australia, thankfully most of them no bigger than your hand though. I'll take these little bastards over a bear or mountain lion anyday! haha!

Quote Originally Posted by CKnapp1983 View Post
    I was just thinking that I don't mind spiderwebs around here but yeah in Australia it might be a little more scary haha.
    Man, I've seen small tree branches suspended in webs over here, no jokes!

It's a bit mental.
    Last edited by bataleon; 03-19-2017 at 05:20 AM.
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a dilemma. I built up my FS Phantom to 29x3 chupacabras and the pike 29plus fork to make it my all around go to bike. The issue is it rubs slightly on the rear inner chain stay when riding. I guess I could keep it like this as it does ride extremely well. I love the plus tires- just makes this thing a beast. I bought the fork just in case I wanted to buy the stache carbon frame and transfer all my parts if it didn't work out. Now that I'm to the point where I can ride my phantom- which I love, should I get a carbon frame and just go with some 29x2.6 tires on my phantom? when I was crunching the numbers I was like man, just the frame and carbon wheels will be at $2600. The 9.6 is $3000 and the 7 is $2000. So now I'm like, shoot I should just buy a stach, swap forks and I'll have two functional bikes. Ill be stuck with the durocs but I think that will be fine. Im on arc 40s tubeless right now and love them. so this is my dilemma- what route to go. Or I can just get the 7 and leave it like that and keep my pike on the phantom- or just keep the phantom as only bike and deal with the rubbing which doesn't seem to be an issue right now. Great thread!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0676.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0665.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow poke View Post
    I have a dilemma. I built up my FS Phantom to 29x3 chupacabras and the pike 29plus fork to make it my all around go to bike. The issue is it rubs slightly on the rear inner chain stay when riding. I guess I could keep it like this as it does ride extremely well. I love the plus tires- just makes this thing a beast. I bought the fork just in case I wanted to buy the stache carbon frame and transfer all my parts if it didn't work out. Now that I'm to the point where I can ride my phantom- which I love, should I get a carbon frame and just go with some 29x2.6 tires on my phantom? when I was crunching the numbers I was like man, just the frame and carbon wheels will be at $2600. The 9.6 is $3000 and the 7 is $2000. So now I'm like, shoot I should just buy a stach, swap forks and I'll have two functional bikes. Ill be stuck with the durocs but I think that will be fine. Im on arc 40s tubeless right now and love them. so this is my dilemma- what route to go. Or I can just get the 7 and leave it like that and keep my pike on the phantom- or just keep the phantom as only bike and deal with the rubbing which doesn't seem to be an issue right now. Great thread!
    Are those durocs boost?
    If so, I may want to buy them.
    I need another set of Plus size rims for my SS, saves me time and money so I wouldn't need to get the Nox's for a while
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Are those durocs boost?
    If so, I may want to buy them.
    I need another set of Plus size rims for my SS, saves me time and money so I wouldn't need to get the Nox's for a while
    No they are Easton Arc 40s. If anything you can buy them from CRC for about 500 shipped.

western NC
    Got to ride the bike with the new parts today. But, I felt off today, and really struggled, so I'll reserve judgement for a day I'm feeling good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0514-7-.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0516-1-.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-strava1.jpg  

Australia
    I guess the question you need to ask yourself is do you really want/need 2 functional bikes?

Also, keep in mind that if you build up or buy a Stache there's a high probability that the saddle on the Phantom will start getting a little dusty. It's a common side-effect experienced by a high percentage of Stache owners

Got to ride the bike with the new parts today. But, I felt off today, and really struggled, so I'll reserve judgement for a day I'm feeling good.
    Sometimes you can't win em all. At least the view is good
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I finally got to ride the Stache and Fuel EX today at our local Trek store. Wow, the Fuel is smooth. Having never ridden a full suspension it was shocking how smooth it was. New for the store is they now do rentals so I rented a 2016 Stache 7 (they didn't have any 2017 models). I still want to do a Stache for its simplicity. I'm going to ride it on our local trails tomorrow to get a feel for it.

The other issue is the Stache 7s are getting low in stock and I won't be able to order until late April. Hopefully it's still in stock if I go that route, but I think the word is out on how good this bike is. No less than every employee, four of them, in the Trek store warned me that it is the best bike out there and I will have to buy one if I ride it.

Australia
    Enjoy! It's been said a hundred times before but remember that getting the correct tyre pressure is critical. Even a few PSI too much can give you a totally different experience (read: unpleasant). Find out which of the 4 Trek guys has a similar weight to you and then use the pressure that he runs. (I'm 180lb, 11psi front 12psi back, my terrain has a bit of everything thrown in)

Some food for thought... the 15/16 model surfaced in July 2015. The 16/17 model surfaced in July 2016. Does that mean the 17/18 models will follow the same pattern? The end of April to July is only 2 months...
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Is there a huge difference between the 7 and 9 besides it being carbon? $1000 difference. I know forks are different, but what about the ride?

Australia
    I'm guessing you're referring to the 9.6? The 9 (2016) was Aluminium.

I've asked myself the same question. If I were in that position I'd stretch for the 9.6. It has a better fork, better brakes, comes with a dropper post and is a carbon frame.

If you could negotiate the price down a bit as 2018 models are only a few months away then it's well worth it imo.
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah i see your point. I will try and hold out. The shops around me only have 7s or 9.8 which is way out of budget. I did mean the 9.6. Crazy that the 9 was that expensive. See them being sold used for around 2500 right now. Crazy.

I'm guessing you're referring to the 9.6? The 9 (2016) was Aluminium.

I've asked myself the same question. If I were in that position I'd stretch for the 9.6. It has a better fork, better brakes, comes with a dropper post and is a carbon frame.

If you could negotiate the price down a bit as 2018 models are only a few months away then it's well worth it imo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Enjoy! It's been said a hundred times before but remember that getting the correct tyre pressure is critical. Even a few PSI too much can give you a totally different experience (read: unpleasant). Find out which of the 4 Trek guys has a similar weight to you and then use the pressure that he runs. (I'm 180lb, 11psi front 12psi back, my terrain has a bit of everything thrown in)

Some food for thought... the 15/16 model surfaced in July 2015. The 16/17 model surfaced in July 2016. Does that mean the 17/18 models will follow the same pattern? The end of April to July is only 2 months...
    I took the Stache for about a 20-mile ride this morning. It was definitely a blast. The tires take all the edge off small rocks and I was able to blast straight through all kinds of stuff that my Superfly has trouble with. The big tires give so much more confidence in rock gardens. I rode the tires with 12 front and 13 rear psi, and I definitely feel I could go below that (I'm only 155 lbs ungeared) once I get my own and set it up tubeless.

The rental had terrible pedals and no dropper post so I can imagine how much fun mine will be once I get it all set up with dropper post, some nice pedals, carbon bars and a smaller chainring for steep climbs. I feel like the Stache especially would benefit from low gears since you have ridiculous traction in the back. You can climb in a much lower gear than I can in my Superfly. Anyway I had a blast and hopefully will be on my own in a couple months!

mtbr member
    Is there a huge difference between the 7 and 9 besides it being carbon? $1000 difference. I know forks are different, but what about the ride?
    2lbs, fork, dropper, brakes. BB, Top tube.
    Last edited by brent701; 03-21-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sizing help- I am 5-9 165lbs, will a 15.5 be suitable or too cramped? can't find one anywhere for fitment. I usually ride mediums but was thinking going smaller for more playability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I think a 15.5 would be way too small. My wife is 5'3" and rides a 15.5. 17.5 should be a perfect fit for you I would imagine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CKnapp1983 View Post
    I think a 15.5 would be way too small. My wife is 5'3" and rides a 15.5. 17.5 should be a perfect fit for you I would imagine.

Thanks, I just want one where I can have more control over it. Im guessing the 17.5 would be ok for that since they make a 18.5 as well. Is a 18.5 considered a medium as well?

western NC
    It comes down to body proportions and riding style somewhat also. If you have short legs and a long torso, then that's a different fit then long legs and short torso. I prefer to size up and run a shorter stem and wider bars, but not everyone does. I also come from a moto background, so I'm not driving the front like a lot of modern bikes dictate. I'm a centered "in the cockpit" style rider. I'm 6'2" and ride a 21.5" aluminum stache and fits like a glove with a 75mm stem and 750mm bars.

mtbr member

Grin factor

This bike is such a little hooligan. I love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-img_4925.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_4920.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_4921.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_4928.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_4932.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_ View Post

Very nice- someone in my area is selling your model for 950. Really considering it. there is a 2016 and 17 stache 7 at the dealer. They are willing to negotiate price on the 2016. decisions, decisions! I really love that 9.6 though!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_ View Post
    Is the front wheel off center or just the way it's sitting?

mtbr member
    It's just the camera angle.

mtbr member
    Good. Just needed to know for future reference. I can see a Lefty in mine

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    +1 !

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Very nice- someone in my area is selling your model for 950. Really considering it. there is a 2016 and 17 stache 7 at the dealer. They are willing to negotiate price on the 2016. decisions, decisions! I really love that 9.6 though!!
    They 16 Stache 7 at a good price would be a good choice but if you think you want carbon get the 9.6 and ride on.

western NC
    Someone asked me to do this a while back, just now getting around to it. These are the stock Duroc 50s that came off my '17 Stache 5. My new Sun Ringle Duroc 40s weigh 2000gr for comparison. That's 1.1lbs of weight I shaved, and that doesn't include ditching the heavy tubes. No wonder the bike feels so much faster.

1340gr for the rear
    1180gr for the front
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0523.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0527-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sweet!! Gonna check the carbon line40 weight to compare. I wish the stock wheels were lighter. They are the same on the 9.6 as well so I'm like ugh.

Someone asked me to do this a while back, just now getting around to it. These are the stock Duroc 50s that came off my '17 Stache 5. My new Sun Ringle Duroc 40s weigh 2000gr for comparison. That's 1.1lbs of weight I shaved, and that doesn't include ditching the heavy tubes. No wonder the bike feels so much faster.

1340gr for the rear
    1180gr for the front

western NC
    The line pros are about 170gr lighter, and roughly three times the cost. I opted for new wheels, fork, and dropper post for the same money vs just the wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's part of the reason why I sprung for the 9.8 . Over time I was going to upgrade all of said parts... might as well splurge and spend the time riding and working on technical skills.

roadsteg5
    Jul 2009
    I thought the weight difference was about 1/2 pound at best for the 40 to the 50 ? Also is that wide enough for a 3.0 tire?

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobie View Post
    That's part of the reason why I sprung for the 9.8 . Over time I was going to upgrade all of said parts... might as well splurge and spend the time riding and working on technical skills.
    Depends on what you want. I didn't need any of the drivetrain parts other than the cranks, so I came out much cheaper the way I went.

Quote Originally Posted by roadster View Post
    I thought the weight difference was about 1/2 pound at best for the 40 to the 50 ? Also is that wide enough for a 3.0 tire?
    For the factory Sun Ringle wheels, yes. These were Sun rims laced to bonty hubs, no idea on the spokes. Some very respected wheel builders that ride a LOT claim 36-38mm internal is right in the sweet spot for up to a 3" tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I went with arc40s as well on my fs with 29x3 chupacabras. Spin great!

mtbr member
    I want to join the Stache club. Anybody selling an XL aluminum Stache? Or perhaps a Large carbon one with the updated geometry?

mtbr member

Soon

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    I want to join the Stache club. Anybody selling an XL aluminum Stache? Or perhaps a Large carbon one with the updated geometry?
    Unfortunately might been in the next couple weeks, not because I want to (bike is one of the most fun bikes I've owned) but probably going to have to to finance a new FS. XL Miami green (alloy) frame, not sure what parts but they'll probably be nicer then stock and brand new. If you're interested I can get in touch when I'm ready to part (probably just after sea otter)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evo233 View Post
    Unfortunately might been in the next couple weeks, not because I want to (bike is one of the most fun bikes I've owned) but probably going to have to to finance a new FS. XL Miami green (alloy) frame, not sure what parts but they'll probably be nicer then stock and brand new. If you're interested I can get in touch when I'm ready to part (probably just after sea otter)
    Definitely let me know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

1340gr for the rear
    1180gr for the front
    Thanks. I was the one who had asked.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Yeah i see your point. I will try and hold out. The shops around me only have 7s or 9.8 which is way out of budget. I did mean the 9.6. Crazy that the 9 was that expensive. See them being sold used for around 2500 right now. Crazy.
    Being that a used bike has no warranty to anyone other than the original purchaser, and it's . . . . . well . . . . . 'used' . . . . . I don't think $2,500 is especially low, or high. It's got a pretty decent part spec including DT Swiss star ratchet hubs and Mulefut rims (important for a clyde like me), and is an awesome bike from the start.

If you are able to sacrifice this summer's riding season and ride what you have until the new models are released, it might be interesting to see what comes out for 2018.

Members who have read this thread: 608