Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Got the stache on some rocky PA singletrack over the weekend.

mtbr member

Re: Lets see your Stache official thread

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Fox-Annou...ies-Forks.html

Thinking this affects 2013 stache 8 owners. Fyi
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

mtbr member

Lets see your Stache official thread

Just have to say that I love the Stache, the more I ride it, the more it feels like a big BMX. So much fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    I got a Stache frame to build up for the wife. We will have matching bikes when it is done.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post

Just have to say that I love the Stache, the more I ride it, the more it feels like a big BMX. So much fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Love my Stache as well and love the larger the wheels, almost feels like cheating compared to my 26". At first I thought I could not thread a line around rocks as well on steep climbs but that is not a problem with more hours on the bike. The 26" is easier to get moving when you stopped on steep climbs or when you want hammer real slow but that does not happen too often. I don't think I would ever go back to a 26" now. I thought I wanted a lower gear so I swapped in a 22 small ring up front, but the granny gear is so low its almost useless on a trail where you need some momentum to keep those larger wheels moving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn333 View Post
    Just picked up a 2014 stache 8 today. I only had the chance to ride it in a field but this weekend it will see some singletrack. Does anyone think this bike needs a bashgaurd since its a 2X10.
    I bought the matching RF bashguard for mine. yet to install it.

The bash is cheaper than the big ring
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

mtbr member

I just made the big ring smaller and the little ring bigger, joined them together and threw the rest of the stuff I didn't need out. No bashed rings or dropped chains!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

45 mm stem and atlas low rise handlebars off my reign X .

Does anyone know the weight of the stock duster wheels ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-dscn0337.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just curious, as I am interested in getting a 2014 Stache... did anybody give the Kona Honzo a look, and if so, what made you decide on the Stache? Thoughts?

I am looking at both and am leaning toward the Stache. Love the components and look. The Short chainstay of the Honzo does sound good, and so does the price tag, but the Steel frame is throwing me for a bit of a loop. Never ridden one but I've heard they are quite heavy.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yea I did and the Explosive.....I'm 210 lbs big guy on little steel tubes looks bloody silly, regardless of how good the ride was......I'm chuffed with my Stache 8. 2014

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I changed the stem to a 70mm and am getting some pedals. I don't see making any other changes as I pretty happy with the set up as is. Kind of looks like all the other Stache's here, although not the best pic.

Lets see your Stache official thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    I thought about the Honzo too, but preferred the build on the Trek, the weight and build quality. I didn't get to ride a Honzo so can't comment on that but once I rode the Stache I knew it was the hardtail I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice stache I just got the same one 2 weeks ago. Im really enjoying mine so far. Thinking about lowering my bars as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I just made the big ring smaller and the little ring bigger, joined them together and threw the rest of the stuff I didn't need out. No bashed rings or dropped chains!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/29/vejy9eze.jpg

Exactly what I want to do with mine!

Here's mine... it's my first mountain bike...

With pedals...
    Lets see your Stache official thread-b5dmken.jpg
    Last edited by Krisc; 11-09-2013 at 04:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Great first bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks Took it out today and had fun. Tried to go over a log thing and fell, but I had to give it a shot!! LOL was really impressed with how easy the climbing was, although my only reference point is my cross bike or road bike..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisc View Post
    Thanks Took it out today and had fun. Tried to go over a log thing and fell, but I had to give it a shot!! LOL was really impressed with how easy the climbing was, although my only reference point is my cross bike or road bike..
    LOL I couldn't hop over a large kerb on my cross bike so we're trading places!

mtbr member

New stache 7

Just picked up my stache 7 today!! Added nuke proof pedals. More pics to come on the trails. Also got the wife a trek cali sl!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-photo-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Anyone got any idea what size BB on the Stache...wanna upgrade my 2013 Stache 7 bb and crankset.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by lazymuf View Post
    Anyone got any idea what size BB on the Stache...wanna upgrade my 2013 Stache 7 bb and crankset.
    See post #491
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    Quoting myself... Such a loser. But anyway contacted Trek directly and was told that it is BB95 so any press fit bb with a 41mm OD will work. Just figured I would post the info for anyone else confused by the newer bb standards.

And how could i missed that..ummm if i order...which should i look for...coz mostly i see is BB92 online....Thks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I do not like the White Avid brakes on my Stache 7. What would be an equivalent or better alternative option that would be available in black or dark grey? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    I do not like the White Avid brakes on my Stache 7. What would be an equivalent or better alternative option that would be available in black or dark grey? Thanks
    Shimano SLX brakes offer outstanding performance for the money; if you can swing the extra $ I'd recommend pairing them with Shimano XT Ice Tech Rotors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I put Shimano Deore brakes on mine. If the color is all that bothers you about the elixirs, then you'll be blown away by how much better the Shimanos are. Cheap too. They were easy to install myself, as they come pre-bled. Pretty simple, but the lines are a bit too long and so far I've been to lazy to shorten them and bleed the brakes. If you're spending big bucks on X0's, there's an argument for Avids, but for the price, the mid range Shimano offerings blow the mid range Avids out of the water. Do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymuf View Post
    And how could i missed that..ummm if i order...which should i look for...coz mostly i see is BB92 online....Thks
    PRESS-IN MTB BOTTOM BRACKET FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING

Very solid bearings!

DFMBA.org

I thought I'd chime in here, being the first poster with a 2014 Stache 6. I recently acquired this bike and I think Trek has a real winner here in the hardtail category. It's 29 lbs stock (with tubes) on the nose but I would Gorilla Tape the rims to make it tubeless and hopefully shave a bit of weight. I'm also analyzing individual components to cut the weight down and make the bike more comfortable to ride. The SSR seatpost is stupid-heavy at almost a pound and I'm looking into other peripheral components for weight shaving as well.

It's a 19" (relative) frame but the stem length has my 6'1" (32" inseam) waaayy stretched out, to the point its uncomfortable. Upon reading the threads I'd probably put a 65-70mm stem on it as many have done to improve comfort. I kinda miss my hardtail and this might fit the bill to replace that. I currently ride a Giant Trance X 29 which I love but a nice hardtail adds to the quiver.

Lets see your Stache official thread-photo.jpg
    Last edited by MTBeing; 11-12-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    You could probably lose a pound (or more) in handlebars and seatpost alone by going straight for Bontrager XXX components.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfuel View Post
    Shimano SLX brakes offer outstanding performance for the money; if you can swing the extra $ I'd recommend pairing them with Shimano XT Ice Tech Rotors.
    I hear a lot of talk about the XT Ice Tech, what are the advantages?

mtbr member

You could probably lose a pound (or more) in handlebars and seatpost alone by going straight for Bontrager XXX components.
    Also the stock hg62 Cassette is a porker... Switched to the SLX hg81 and saved a little over 100 grams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    Just curious, as I am interested in getting a 2014 Stache... did anybody give the Kona Honzo a look, and if so, what made you decide on the Stache? Thoughts?

I am looking at both and am leaning toward the Stache. Love the components and look. The Short chainstay of the Honzo does sound good, and so does the price tag, but the Steel frame is throwing me for a bit of a loop. Never ridden one but I've heard they are quite heavy.
    the Honzo is a lot heavier than the Stache 8
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    Shimano has hydraulic disc brakes dialed right now, and for the price you can currently find them for, I don't know why anyone on a budget would even think about other brands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    [url=http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id256.html]PRESS-IN MTB BOTTOM BRACKET FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING[/durl]

Very solid bearings!
    Thks Bigkat...Went thru the pages of the website u link and there is a page indicating BB for trek BB90 BB95 frames selling. So can I purchase those or only the ones from your link. Thks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    First night ride last night. Got my feet wet in a few creek crossings, couldn't feel them on the way home. Had a great time though... ran a NR 1200 Race + NR Lumina 700
    Lets see your Stache official thread-7b3b0c924cab11e3b1d012f56e888ff2_8.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I've been waiting for someone to post on Stache 6 as I myself is eyeing one to buy in the near future.

Would you be able to elaborate more on your experience riding Stache 6? Is the RS XC32 fork handles the ride well?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I posted this on another forum for the Stache, but does anyone have and idea on weight for the 2014 Stache 7, one other forum was reporting like 30.5 and the Stache 8 is around 25 reportedly. Seems like a big swing. Does anyone have a 7 out there...whats the ball park weight?

Thanks

DFMBA.org

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    I posted this on another forum for the Stache, but does anyone have and idea on weight for the 2014 Stache 7, one other forum was reporting like 30.5 and the Stache 8 is around 25 reportedly. Seems like a big swing. Does anyone have a 7 out there...whats the ball park weight?

Thanks
    My 19" S6 is 29# stock with tubes, fwiw.

Edit: I weighed some rear wheel components last night and the HG62 cassette is a bit heavy. The Bonty XR850 wheel (no rim strip) was also a little portly at about 1100 grams but not too bad for an oem rear wheel. What really got me was the 1063 gram Bonty XR3 Comp tire. I know it's wire bead but the actual weight is way off from the 765g stated weight on their website. Once I get some new shoes on this bike (in time) and set it up tubeless, I'll easily knock off a couple pounds. Woot!

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Last edited by MTBeing; 11-20-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Any advice if this 2 is compatible for the stache?

Option 1 --- BB90 (ie Trek) - Enduro Bearings Online

Option 2 --- Enduro Press Fit 30 with 24 mm reducer - Enduro Bearings Online

mtbr member

Added one more Stache to the stable. Built up one for the wife.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Niether of those are compatible, the stache has a bb92 with a 41mm i.d., if you are buying from that site you would buy this BB89 and BB92 MTB - Press Fit 4124 - Enduro Bearings Online

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bfowler6 View Post
    Niether of those are compatible, the stache has a bb92 with a 41mm i.d., if you are buying from that site you would buy this BB89 and BB92 MTB - Press Fit 4124 - Enduro Bearings Online
    Thanks bfowler6...rep for u ya...much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

stache 7 vs kona taro

I've set up my stache 7 with a 32t narrow wide and a thompson 50mm stem. 5'11" on a 19", bike fits great.

Lets see your Stache official thread-thompson-stem.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-narrow-wide.jpg

I ride PacNW trails, with lots of rocks, roots, berms, drops and the occasional jump (though I'm not a big jumper and avoid most of the crazy stuff the kids build around here). Conditions are usually muddy. Stock 29-3 tires have done well.

I'm used to super short chainstays (santa cruz chameleon, stanton slackline). With this bike it was both 1) my first 29er and 2) had significantly longer chainstays. I definitely noticed the difference - bike feels more stable, neutral and just different than what I'm used to. Chainstays soaked up bumps a little better. I definitely noticed it's ability to roll over stuff that usually required more finesse on a 26". Not as nimble as a 26", but plusses outweighed the minuses for me.

Anyway, I also had the opportunity to get a Kona Taro (2014) as well, and have put probably 15+ rides on both over the past few months. I plan on selling one and have had a hard time deciding. Both great bikes, and both very different.

The Taro is much closer to what I'm used to, great bike especially for the more playful approach to riding here in the NW.

That said, I've really grown kind of enamored with the smooth stability of the Stache. It's still fun like the Taro, and hasn't held me back from any drops or (small) jumps, and it does just fine getting the front wheel up (this wasn't the case until I shortened the stem).

It is a significantly better climber than the Taro. Don't get me wrong, the Taro is a good climber, just the Stache is a really good climber, best climbing bike I've owned. It feels so intuitive climbing up tight switchbacks, it's awesome. At times feels like I'm gliding uphill.

Descending, the Taro feels more natural for me, with its shorter stays and more leaned back approach. However what is interesting is that I've found (because I use Strava to track my rides) that I am actually consistently faster both uphill and downhill on the Stache. The uphill didn't surprise me, but the downhill did. My riding position is a little more forward on the Stache, and I guess this more aggressive stance gives me more speed.

I also feel a little more "inside" the bike on the Stache, and more on top of the bike on the Taro. I kind of like the "inside" the bike feel.

Anyway, both great bikes, but I'm leaning towards the Stache right now. Taro is more playful, fun oriented. Probably better for someone doing a lot of jumps. Stache is smoother, more neutral, better at climbing and faster.

Thought I would weigh in on this thread since it appears to be the depository for info on the Stache, and many accuse it of just being a glorified XC bike. I don't know if it is or not (never owned a true XC bike) but I can verify it's not going to hold you back from having fun on the more technical trails, as I would imagine true XC bikes would.

PS - both forks on the bikes are good. The Taro's sektor is better. Maybe it's the extra 10mm, just feels smoother. The recon does fine though - never gets in the way of my ride.

PSS - also more pedal strikes with the Taro, must have lower BB

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Looking to convert my Stache to single speed. Has anyone done this yet? / what did they find worked well?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post

Thanks
    My Stache 7 is a medium and weighs 27 1/2 lbs. The one he weighed had wire bead tires, a seat bag with a spare tube in it and what else I don't know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Please, what size is your Taro? I ask that because like you I am a bit under 6' tall and I am worying about possible pedal strikes. I also know that the "M" size hase 170mm cranks versus 175mm for the "L". So if you are having strikes with M/170mm, this will be even worse with 175mm cranks.... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by ghingus View Post
    I've set up my stache 7 with a 32t narrow wide and a thompson 50mm stem. 5'11" on a 19", bike fits great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thompson stem.jpg 
Views:	1473 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	848175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	narrow wide.jpg 
Views:	756 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	848174

I ride PacNW trails, with lots of rocks, roots, berms, drops and the occasional jump (though I'm not a big jumper and avoid most of the crazy stuff the kids build around here). Conditions are usually muddy. Stock 29-3 tires have done well.

I'm used to super short chainstays (santa cruz chameleon, stanton slackline). With this bike it was both 1) my first 29er and 2) had significantly longer chainstays. I definitely noticed the difference - bike feels more stable, neutral and just different than what I'm used to. Chainstays soaked up bumps a little better. I definitely noticed it's ability to roll over stuff that usually required more finesse on a 26". Not as nimble as a 26", but plusses outweighed the minuses for me.

Anyway, I also had the opportunity to get a Kona Taro (2014) as well, and have put probably 15+ rides on both over the past few months. I plan on selling one and have had a hard time deciding. Both great bikes, and both very different.

The Taro is much closer to what I'm used to, great bike especially for the more playful approach to riding here in the NW.

That said, I've really grown kind of enamored with the smooth stability of the Stache. It's still fun like the Taro, and hasn't held me back from any drops or (small) jumps, and it does just fine getting the front wheel up (this wasn't the case until I shortened the stem).

It is a significantly better climber than the Taro. Don't get me wrong, the Taro is a good climber, just the Stache is a really good climber, best climbing bike I've owned. It feels so intuitive climbing up tight switchbacks, it's awesome. At times feels like I'm gliding uphill.

Descending, the Taro feels more natural for me, with its shorter stays and more leaned back approach. However what is interesting is that I've found (because I use Strava to track my rides) that I am actually consistently faster both uphill and downhill on the Stache. The uphill didn't surprise me, but the downhill did. My riding position is a little more forward on the Stache, and I guess this more aggressive stance gives me more speed.

I also feel a little more "inside" the bike on the Stache, and more on top of the bike on the Taro. I kind of like the "inside" the bike feel.

Anyway, both great bikes, but I'm leaning towards the Stache right now. Taro is more playful, fun oriented. Probably better for someone doing a lot of jumps. Stache is smoother, more neutral, better at climbing and faster.

Thought I would weigh in on this thread since it appears to be the depository for info on the Stache, and many accuse it of just being a glorified XC bike. I don't know if it is or not (never owned a true XC bike) but I can verify it's not going to hold you back from having fun on the more technical trails, as I would imagine true XC bikes would.

PS - both forks on the bikes are good. The Taro's sektor is better. Maybe it's the extra 10mm, just feels smoother. The recon does fine though - never gets in the way of my ride.

PSS - also more pedal strikes with the Taro, must have lower BB

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It's a medium Taro. Pedal strikes aren't a problem, just noticed the Taro rides a little lower than the Stache. Just have to lean the bike more in certain situations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	1984 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	846204[/QUOTE]

That's a beauty. I really like the 2014 colors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Stache 6 sharp looking bike
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img-20131124-wa0023.jpg first actual ride....gotta get used to a HT after dualling for quite sometime....neway love the simplicity of a HT. Immediate power transfer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I snapped my chain on Thanksgiving and had ordered a raceface narrow-wide 34t anyways, so I had it put together this weekend. Went quick, of course, and couldn't be happier It dropped about 1/2 a lb off the bike...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-38_20131201_goingonebyten.jpg  

mtbr member
    I snapped my chain on Thanksgiving and had ordered a raceface narrow-wide 34t anyways, so I had it put together this weekend. Went quick, of course, and couldn't be happier It dropped about 1/2 a lb off the bike...
    It's what the Stache should have come with from the factory, it's an awesome mod!

Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast