Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Im 5`11 too, i have the 19 inch

Have a 65mm stem on mine

mtbr member
    If it were me I'd probably opt for the 19" and get a shorter stem. Shorter stems on this frame definitely make it a little more playful and easier to bunny hop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Got the 125mm reverb stealth, we were back and forth on the 150mm and if there would be enough room in the frame for it to drop.. It wass too close for comfort so the 125mm was chosen, will hopefully be in this week, picked up a saris bones 3 bike rack while at the shop today too lol

My bike is at the Lbs, awaiting a reverb and a tubeless conversion, a bout a week and a half ill have it back, will be worth the wait!

mtbr member

Lets see your Stache official thread

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    Hey guys. Sweet Staches.
    I'm 5'11", 32" inseam. Looking at a Stache 8 hard. LBS guys suggests 17.5. The Stache 7 they had in the shop was a 17.5, and felt good, but that was only a quick standover test.
    How big are you? How big is your Stache?
    I've been wondering the same question for a guy like me - 6'1" with a 34" inseam. Seems like I am sort of in between sizes.

mtbr member
    A lot depends on how you are proportioned. I am 5' 10" with a 33 ish inseam. In seam is just a guide to try and get an idea. The most accurate way would be a measurement from your sit bones to the floor but no one has a chart for that. I feel that I run some where between the 19 and 21. I have a 19, but I also have a lot of exposed seat post. If you ride hard, this can be a potential trouble spot for the frame. One of the reasons I chose Trek was the great warranty. I chose a 19 because of top tube length. with long legs and short arms, I need a bike that is shorter in the cock pit. I also need to get the bars higher to get me in to a comfortable position. Even with the 19, I run without the steering tube on the fork trimmed, a super short DH stem, and riser bars. It's all about getting that final fit of everything just right.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys.
    My initial gut thought was that I belonged on a 19". My LBS buddy suggested the 17.5," though his paradigm is a bit more park/DH oriented. What I'm seeing here is guys my size (5'11" 32"inseam) and even shorter, rocking 19" Staches w/ shortish stems. Then of course mhoton is an inch shorter than me and IS riding the 17.5, though with a 100mm stem.
    I think I'm leaning 19".
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My pedals finally made it across the pond (DMR VAULT). Also got my first flat tire (stupid thorn).

Lets see your Stache official thread-bike.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-bike1.jpg

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    Thanks for the input guys.
    My initial gut thought was that I belonged on a 19". My LBS buddy suggested the 17.5," though his paradigm is a bit more park/DH oriented. What I'm seeing here is guys my size (5'11" 32"inseam) and even shorter, rocking 19" Staches w/ shortish stems. Then of course mhoton is an inch shorter than me and IS riding the 17.5, though with a 100mm stem.
    I think I'm leaning 19".
    My initial gut for someone my size would be a 19" too. A 21" 29er just seems huge in my mind. Guess I won't know until I give them both a try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Im in the same boat you are, 6 even with a 33 inseam. longish arms. Right in between sizes. I have my LBS ordering a 19 and 21 to see which fits my style better. I tend to like a slightly stretched out ride. I guess we'll see

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaketparker View Post
    Im in the same boat you are, 6 even with a 33 inseam. longish arms. Right in between sizes. I have my LBS ordering a 19 and 21 to see which fits my style better. I tend to like a slightly stretched out ride. I guess we'll see
    I would guess that the 21 would be more to your liking. The longer top tube will mean that you can run a shorter stem and make the bike a little quicker handling.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jaketparker View Post
    I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The one thing i found with the 19 inch, and the 90mm stem that came on it, It made it superhard for me to stand up and pedal. As soon as i went to the shorter stem it was like night and day..

I hated being stretched out, I have way more control now with the 65mm DH stem and Riser bars

Sweet stache M320, sucks on the flat tire, are you tubeless?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    I would guess that the 21 would be more to your liking. The longer top tube will mean that you can run a shorter stem and make the bike a little quicker handling.
    I tried a 19 and 21 superfly al elite, and was more comfortable on the 21. Geometry compared to the stache is very similar. We were going to play around with shorter stems, but my LBS offered to purchase both sizes and we'd play around when they came in. I have a bit of time before riding season so I was happy to wait. From Fairbanks AK so its 10 degrees F out right now with a ton of snow left.

Gouda cheez, bikes should be in later this month so Ill let you know my impressions when I test them out
    Last edited by jaketparker; 04-13-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: quote

R.I.P. DogFriend
    For you guys doing the frame up builds, and using the internal cable routing, are the derailleur housings to be run the full length from shifter to derailleur?

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    For you guys doing the frame up builds, and using the internal cable routing, are the derailleur housings to be run the full length from shifter to derailleur?
    No. For the front shift cable, I ran the housing to the stop in the hole on the right front of the top tube, it comes out at left rear and from there housing to the stop on the front derailleur. For the rear, it's the stop on the left front of the down tube and it comes out on top of the dt at the bb with housing from there.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    No. For the front shift cable, I ran the housing to the stop in the hole on the right front of the top tube, it comes out at left rear and from there housing to the stop on the front derailleur. For the rear, it's the stop on the left front of the down tube and it comes out on top of the dt at the bb with housing from there.
    Ah yes, I wasn't looking far enough in to see the cable stops. Thanks!

singletrak junkie
    Im 6'1 and was fitted for, and feel comfortable on my 21 inch Stache 8
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Here is my current bar set up and some blingy new pedals. Plan to trade out the bars for some better ones when i figure out the amount of rise i need. Gotta love cheap ebay parts for figuring things out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So, I just moved to the Netherlands and Trek only sell the Stache in UK and Ireland in the Europe region, which means I'm gonna have to fly to UK in person to pick it up. The question is I'm 6 feet, which frame size I will need? 19 or 21?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Friz what did you do with the green cranks? Still have them? Care to sell em?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    Friz what did you do with the green cranks? Still have them? Care to sell em?
    Never had em. built from frame set.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am 5'11" with a 32 inch inseam. The 19 with a 65mm stem fits me perfect . Got an xfusion Hilo post and 740mm renthal 1 inch rise bars. The rest is all stock stache 8. One of the most fun bikes I have owned. The bike rocks!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    im 5'11 as well red, I too rock a 65mm stem on my 19" stache. It changed my bike for sure.

singletrak junkie
    I'm really thinking about switching to a straight handle bar, been having issues with my fingers locking up and wrist hurtin...never had that problem. I'm tryin to get this thing set up like it was built and spec'd just for me, I really love the bike
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Going 1X. Can't wait to try it out on the trails. If they ever dry out.

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast