DaFaJa

New question here. Lefty Carbon on Superfly 100 Carbon

So the next upgrade is going to be a fork & I have been thinking for a long time that I was going to go World cup SID but some of the guys I ride with have been schooling me on the lefty..Its still a little bit away be for I do this swap so I am looking for other peoples experience with leftys and Sid's

Thanks for any input -Paul
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    I can't see putting a lefty on a Superfly...why would you want to do that? It would be a lot of cost to do so and I can't see that their forks are better than the SID you are considering. Plus a Trek Superfly with a Cannondale Lefty fork just wouldn't look right at all. Just my 2 cents.

DaFaJa
    no other feed back huh...
    Tampa FL USA

ouch....
    I recently put a lefty onto my fatbike, I know, much different application, but I ride my fatty year-round and mostly singletrack, from fast and flowy to old-school rugged stuff.
    The lefty made a huge difference. Even with a 4" wide tire, this thing is the stiffest fork I've ridden. No flex under hard turns or braking.

You will likely need an adapter of some sort to make a lefty work with your frame, but imho it would be worth the effort.

Most of the people that badmouth the lefty have never ridden one before.

Bonus, you can swap tire/tube without removing from bike

Downside, a bit more effort removing wheel as the brake caliper can be in the way, might be a factor depending what type of rack you have if you need to remove wheel regularly or not. I use a thule sidearm so I very rarely have to remove front wheel.
    Riding.....

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate View Post
    Plus a Trek Superfly with a Cannondale Lefty fork just wouldn't look right at all. Just my 2 cents.
    LOL....how is that any different than putting a RockShox or Fox fork on? Last time I checked Trek doesn't make forks either....
    Riding.....

DaFaJa
    Yeah nothing but good feed back from people who ride leftys...one of tye people I ride with have a pivot with a lefty..

Benefits Cannondale Lefty fork by Beukers Bike Centre - YouTube Good Info
    Last edited by Corbinworks; 05-12-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Tampa FL USA

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    LOL....how is that any different than putting a RockShox or Fox fork on? Last time I checked Trek doesn't make forks either....
    Great Point!
    Tampa FL USA

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005
    Lefty is a great riding fork. Keep on track with the bearing reset (easy and quick to do), match up the right version (based on your head tube height, snag a Project321 adaptor and you're good to go.

PROJECT 321 | Products: PROJECT 321 Lefty Adapters & Steerers
    Race joe Drakes Coffee
    Race rigs by Kent Eriksen

mtbr member
    I love my lefty. Best fork I have ever ridden. Looks funkalicious too.

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    The difference is that RockShox and Fox don't make bikes, their forks are (generally) a universal fit to all makes of bike. Cannondale makes bikes, and forks specifically to work with those bikes. In order to make a Lefty work with a non-Cannondale bike, an aftermarket adapter (Project321) is required, and up till a few years ago, was not even possible.

That being said, if someone wants to put a Lefty on their Trek or any other bike, and they have the cash to do it, then more power to them. It's your bike, ride what you like.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

I hate that name.
    Corbin, don't forget that you'll need a new front wheel/hub to run the Lefty.

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    Corbin, don't forget that you'll need a new front wheel/hub to run the Lefty.
    Jeff, I have the feeling you think this is not a good idea, I would like to have some of your input..What you think?

Thanks -Paul
    Tampa FL USA

I hate that name.
    I wouldn't say that I think it's not a good idea, I'm just not convinced it would be better than what you have now. Keep in mind that I've never been a Cannondale fan, and have never ridden a Lefty. I think when the Lefty was designed, thru axle forks didn't exist, and I can readily believe that the Lefty is stiffer than a standard 9mm open dropout fork. Nowadays, and Cannondale fans will probably say otherwise, I just do not believe that a Lefty could be as stiff as a high end fork with a thru axle, at least not with a larger rider like myself. So the positives, to me, are a wash. The negatives are the axle size that doesn't work on any other fork, the decreased turning radius on the left side, and unless something has changed in the last few years, you can only get it serviced by taking it to a Cannondale dealer (and the dealer in Tampa is not a place I would ever want to deal with). Also, the handling of the bike will most likely change as I doubt the Lefty has the 51mm fork offset. But that's me. If you want it, go for it. We probably can't source the Lefty or 321 parts (aside from ordering it just like you can), but we'll gladly install the stuff, and we can definitely work out the wheel issue with either a new wheel or relacing a new hub into your existing rim.