mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Lance Armstrong’s Trek Top Fuel 9.8

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2008...rek_top_fuel08

Ah, marketing.

"When it came to rolling stock though, Armstrong apparently decided to reach outside of the company toy box.....Armstrong’s bike came to us for the photo shoot wearing a pair of Bontrager Race X Lite tubeless disc wheels and fast-rolling, low-knob Jones XR Team Issue 26x2.0” treads but we never actually saw him using any of it on course. Rather, he headed out for his laps with a pair of ZTR Race wheels and a 2.2”-wide Raven rear tire from Stan’s NoTubes along with a variety of front tires that included the Racing Ralph and Nobby Nic from Schwalbe plus an identified Maxxis model. In addition, the rear wheel was also fitted with a 140mm-diameter coated aluminum rotor, also from Stan’s NoTubes."

All of the ztr's seem to be great rims I have a set of the 650bs that are as light as 26ers xcountry like, yet still tough as hell for what I've been doing to them at < 170 lbs....

LA, pretty much figures everything out to get the most out of something. For instance, he would slingshot down the hill and into the start/finish area to tag his point man as he started out for his loop. Everyone else just sat and waited for their guy to come in. I'm guessing he got about 5-10 seconds on each of his laps this way. Smart and legal, well no one said anything to him about it. I would have tried the slingshot affect but would have crashed into the fence or something.
    "This made for a rather crowded cockpit but what with the large number plate covering it all up (with the number ‘7’, of course), it’s unlikely many people noticed."
    ummmm yes, we noticed.
    Last edited by ghawk; 09-18-2008 at 06:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The loop I watched was front racing ralph/Stan's ztr 7000 and back Stans raven and ztr 7000.
    Better setup than what will be the stock oem Trek Bonty's on the production 2009's. Pretty sure he was running a bit of Stan's sealant in there and lower pressure that gave him better control relative to a more narrow higher pressure tire set. Also, spoke with his mechanic about the emerging 650b/27.5er standard. Since LA will be racing a few cyclocross events this year, and being extremely bright and bike technical, he will probably figure it out pretty fast. (Question is, will 650bs quasi motos fit the topfuel swingarm...)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glovemtb; 09-19-2008 at 06:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Damn that bike looks hot, the fact Trek hasnít overdone the carbon tubes looks really nice too. I should be trying one of those in a couple of weeks, just looking at that pic I can tell itís going to be goodÖ

Members who have read this thread: 0