Unchained Freewheel

A Ladies Dilemma with a Mantra...

Dear friends, I would like to ask a question about Kleins....

I have the opertunity to buy a Klein Mantra Pro (Medium,Black,Ringle,XT,Pauls) for a female friend of mine that is refusing to give up here weight. She wants to know if there is a weight restriction on certain types of high end bikes,this being one. The year is 1997, the fork is a RockShox Judy SL, she thinks she will break the frame, she is a big gal 200 + so I am unsure what to tell her as she is new to high end bikes,and I know little of the Mantra's specs as far as wirght and hieght go.She is 5.5 and will likely,only be doing light XC riding.TIA...
    The Trail Never Ends.

The Machine Is Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarbaby4Ever
    Dear friends, I would like to ask a question about Kleins....

I have the opertunity to buy a Klein Mantra Pro (Medium,Black,Ringle,XT,Pauls) for a female friend of mine that is refusing to give up here weight. She wants to know if there is a weight restriction on certain types of high end bikes,this being one. The year is 1997, the fork is a RockShox Judy SL, she thinks she will break the frame, she is a big gal 200 + so I am unsure what to tell her as she is new to high end bikes,and I know little of the Mantra's specs as far as wirght and hieght go.She is 5.5 and will likely,only be doing light XC riding.TIA...
    There are many things to factor in. I am presuming that this bike is used considering that it is a 1997 model.

If so, you will have to find out how often and how hard the bike was ridden. That info can go a long way as to determining the present structural integrity of the bike.

I own a 1998 Gary Fisher Joshua X1 (which is, design-wise, a low-pivot URT bike compared to the Mantra, which is a high-pivot URT), and I weigh 240 lbs. My bike has withstood everything I've thrown at it, and then some. Klein frames are also known to be very strong. If all she will be doing is light XC riding, then the Mantra should suit her needs quite nicely (given the bike is in good physical condition).

The two complaints I have heard about Mantras is that you get a feeling of "going over the bars" as well as the Mantra "having a cramped rider cockpit". I would suggest that she try the bike out before purchasing it.

However, on the flip side, every single Mantra owner I know LOVES the climbing ability of the bike. I don't think I've ever seen a bike climb as well as a Mantra.

Unchained Freewheel
    Quote Originally Posted by The Machine
    There are many things to factor in. I am presuming that this bike is used considering that it is a 1997 model.

If so, you will have to find out how often and how hard the bike was ridden. That info can go a long way as to determining the present structural integrity of the bike.

I own a 1998 Gary Fisher Joshua X1 (which is, design-wise, a low-pivot URT bike compared to the Mantra, which is a high-pivot URT), and I weigh 240 lbs. My bike has withstood everything I've thrown at it, and then some. Klein frames are also known to be very strong. If all she will be doing is light XC riding, then the Mantra should suit her needs quite nicely (given the bike is in good physical condition).

The two complaints I have heard about Mantras is that you get a feeling of "going over the bars" as well as the Mantra "having a cramped rider cockpit". I would suggest that she try the bike out before purchasing it.

However, on the flip side, every single Mantra owner I know LOVES the climbing ability of the bike. I don't think I've ever seen a bike climb as well as a Mantra.

Thanks Allot for the info!! hope a few others chime in on this... Its about a hair under 1k Cdn with all XTR/Ringle/Pauls/Chris King/Race Face stuff + Judy SL of course... and the one piece handel bar stem combo.
    The Trail Never Ends.

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarbaby4Ever
    Thanks Allot for the info!! hope a few others chime in on this... Its about a hair under 1k Cdn with all XTR/Ringle/Pauls/Chris King/Race Face stuff + Judy SL of course... and the one piece handel bar stem combo.
    uh, if it has the one-piece MC2 bar stem combo it is the pretty rare Mantra Pro with full Gradient tubing. Only 250 or so were made. Original retail was $5500 or so!!

They usually came in red hence it is either a special order factory paint or some repaint. Check by running the finger over them if the huge Klein logo on the top tube and the Mantra Pro logos on the seat stays are "debossed", ie. sunken in in the paint and not just decals or painted on. If they are debossed it very very likely is a factory paint and thus almost a collectors item if in good enough condition. If it is a repaint any sort of damage can be hidden underneath the paint.

The downside is that these frames only came in one size, the medium and it likely is too large for a 5.5 person. Pretty long top tube and if the MC2 bar stem combo is not a short one (120mm or less) she should test ride it extensively to find out if it fits.

As with all older Kleins with the oversized Airhead head tube it is not easy to find and mount a replacement fork (they have a specific steerer tube and special pressed in head set bearings) and the bar/stem combo in a different size. You need special tools to work on the head set and to remove the MC2. Also check if the swingarm pivots on the boom are still tight. They do not last very long and are difficult to find and to replace.

These are great bikes, i love mine, but really special and not worth the hassle if they dont fit properly. And it takes some time and effort to dial the suspension in so that they perform as nice as they are able to. I would LOVE to see a pic of that black one, have never seen one in black before!
    There were other Mantra's with standard 1 1/8 head tubes and smaller frame sizes which might be a better alternative and usually can be had for less. From a collectors standpoint the 1k CND is an ok price if the condition is really good and it is a true Klein factory paint.

I would not worry about the frame strength in general and these frames typically last very long.

Carsten

Unchained Freewheel
    Thank you Carsten,I think it may be too much bike for her,and after reading your post,she is now afraid to ride it this week,when she does get the chance to do so... Even if I do buy it,she now thinks it would be no fun to ride it,as she says,she would be afriad to scratch the paint,or dent it,etc.

I tend to agree with her, but feel it would also be sacrilige to not ride such a incredible mtb and use it for what it was designed for by Mr.Klein My friend who owns the bikeshop will be dropping by later this week with the Mantra.I do know that the frame's paint job is original.I rode it for a few seconds behind his bikeshop back in 98,while being surpervised by its over protective,and at the time,doting owner.It only has maybe a 400 to 500 kms on it,according to mike my friend (The owner of the Mantra and the LBS) It has been boxed,and unridden for most of the last 5 years.Thanks for the help and advice. I will post pics,stay tuned.
    The Trail Never Ends.

mtbr member
    Hello everyone, I am very new to mountain biking and I am the one Tarbay is refering to, I now have two other choices to choose from and I am having a difficult time deciding. The other two I am refering to is a ellsworth isis 1999, then there is a yeti asx 2002. they are both within my price range I just don't want to make a bad decision then the frame will break, and, well ...money wise I won't be riding for a long time.

I am new to this I don't have any point of reference other than what people tell me so any sugesstions would help alot, thanks in advance
    looking to get to ride soon, first I must get some running shoes, and a helmit, and some gloves, oh yeah a bike too,

Oct 2004
    Whazz up Babymomma ?

The klein you are describing is a nice bike. Very nice and Rare.
    It will make someone happy.
    But like carsten said, they only came in medium. A sort of "one size fits all".

You need a small or x-small.

Those other two bikes are nice. Get the one that fits you the best.
    Desperately searching for a klein 120mm O-rise MC1 mission control stem /handlebars or any 1 1/4 quill stem equivalent.
    EDIT- HELLOOOOOOOO......... Desperately means i will pay really,really good money for it.

Badger..badger..badger...
    BabyMama,

You just might be my long-lost twin! I am hovering precariously close to the 200 lb. mark, myself, and I am 5'4", though, I am in surprisingly great shape (ask my riding partners!). I ride some pretty rough stuff.

Tomorrow, I will be finalizing a purchase of a 2000 Klein Mantra, myself. I have thoroughly done my homework on this bike, and it is a good, strong bike for Clydesdales (men riders who are 200+) and Athenas (women riders who are 160+), like us. I encourage you to go to the bike reviews on this website and read the reviews posted there. There are MANY positive posts from people who are well in excess of 200 lbs., and they say these bikes are the greatest thing since sliced bread...especially on climbing...which is always a little tougher for the bigger riders.

However, having said that, I am in agreement that you should probably test ride a medium frame, before buying, if possible. The one I'm buying is a small, and it is perfect for our height. You might be able to do a medium, if you have a long inseam, but you won't know that, unless you ride one.

Just for the record, the Yeti you mentioned got good reviews too.

Good luck to you. BTW...there is a "Clydesdale" thread, here, that you might find helpful. They discuss components and frames that are suitable and strong enough for bigger riders.

Angela

Unchained Freewheel
    Thanks allot for all the advice everyone !!! my GF is really looking forward to starting her MTB adventures again !! We are going to try to get her on the Klein next week locally and see what she thinks of it.But as the ASX is allot cheaper (read under 1k) we may go with that.Thanks again Angela!
    The Trail Never Ends.

mtbr member
    Thanks to all your comments,all are very welcomed,and will be followed.Thanks Angela ! ,honey *huggles* the encouragement was wonderful. Congrats on your new purchase !

I do have my heart set on the Yeti,I have named it (I was told this will be good luck) 'Yo - Yeti' is what I may call it. Tarbaby has told me not to get my heart set on it,but,it is difficult,I so love all the choices I have before me.

I am crossing my fingers, as to the final choice yet, my choices are nothing to sneeze at. I am just so looking forward to hitting the trails with a plush and wonderful work of art, under my caboose.

Happy riding all !!
    Last edited by BabyMama; 05-16-2006 at 09:20 PM.
    looking to get to ride soon, first I must get some running shoes, and a helmit, and some gloves, oh yeah a bike too,

You are quite welcome! I wish you the best of luck on the Yeti. I was impressed by the reviews I saw for it. You'll be happy with it.

Well, here's my new baby. I'm SOOOO happy! I doubt I could have found a new one, in the price range I was willing to spend, that I would have been as happy with. It doesn't have discs yet, but that will be a future upgrade. I'm getting two sets of tires with it and all the little upgrades he's done to it (bar ends, new cables, new main pivot axle, new brake pads, new chain, lizard skin, & others). I can't wait to get it fit to my liking and hit the trails!

mtbr member
    too cool, love your new ride

I think the yo-yeti is not there someone may have offered this person more money

I do know one thing, I will be a new proud owner of ......... something really cool soon.

It is difficult to make a decision, but one will be made in the next 2 weeks or so. I will keep everyone posted.

awww...I'm sorry about the Yeti. I lost out on a deal on a 2005 Giant Trance 3, too. Was bummed, but then the Mantra came along. I know the "it" bike will come along for you.

Good luck in the hunt! Yeah...do keep us posted.

Angela

mtbr member
    hello again just wanted to keep you all updated

I have a turner rfx is gonna be my new choice the offer I was givin'

was one that I couldn't refuse

ok here is what I'm gonna get at the end of june

now I am researching about parts to put on it

it is called a six pack and it does make me feel good I have named it

till it gets here and I ride it for the first time I may change the name but for now,

I will call it "young buck "

mtbr member

Wow!

That is a whole lotta bike (frame) for a new rider. $2000US retail on that frame. It is really a top end frame. Way cool.

I was gonna have one built up at the only dealer here, but I didn't have the six grand (frame included) to build it up the way it deserved to be..

Lock it up tight where ever you leave it parked.