mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Klein Repaint - Independent Painters?

After three long months of preparation and delay, I am finally prepared to send my frameset, a 1993 Klein Quantum II road frame w/ Easton EC90 SL straight leg fork, for paint. Since the beginning, the goal has been to utilize Trek/Klein's factory repaint program as I did with my 1994 Klein Rascal; I had planned to paint the Quantum II "Plum Crazy" with a silver deboss, as on the 2007 Klein Q-Elite XX.

In case you have not read any of my previous posts, I am something of a perfectionist when it comes to my bike builds; I get a vision in my head and will not compromise. Today, I contacted Trek, only to find out that the 2007 Q-Elite colors are not available in the factory repaint program; Plum Crazy is not an option. WTF! Since the frame is made and painted over-seas, they can not offer it from Waterloo.

After considering selecting another color from Klein's palette, I just can't settle for anything other than this color. Anything else would just be second best. Besides, I have invested far too much time and money searching for new Salsa Ti gold skewers, with the intent to fit the Plum Crazy bike with gold hardware.

Has anyone experimented with having their Klein frames painted by independent paint shops? I am quite aware that Klein paint-jobs are far from easy however, I am willing to solicit the help of an independent shop, if they can replicate the Klein Plum Crazy color. Has anyone any insight?

He be a moose too.
    I have used Cyclart. A few problems with them and they are overpriced but very good.

I dealt with one place recently but they were so bad, I had to get several hundred dollars of work completely redone by cyclart, bummer but I wanted it very good. I had a three color fade on my Klein and they were able to match it perfectly. What made it harder was that paint colors change as the manufacturer has to change the formulation and the colors will fade slightly over time. They charged me $35/color ($105 total ) for matching the colors but that's the way it was.

I'm sure there are cheaper places out there and probably as good, but they are who I dealt with and I'm suspect they can probably match your paint.

P. Guin

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I once asked Klein about that Plum Crazy, because I wanted to match my fork.
    Well, the email's been long deleted, but I remember its PPG paint!
    http://corporateportal.ppg.com/ppg/
    I also remember that they told me, its magenta, gold and blue.
    Those three colors are in the paint.

The other thing I can tell you is (if all else fails), that the dupli color mirage red-blue is very close to the plum crazy, but only from the front and side, from behind it's lacking the gold.
    The dupli color gold-magenta matches it perfectly from behind, but not from the side or front.
    Further this paint is not good on impact and has to be coated with some clear coat other than the one it comes with to protect it.
    http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html
    Here are a couple shots: These two with the Red-Blue

These 2 with the magenta gold:

Again, go to a PPG Dealer or a paint shop that uses PPG, they should be able to match it.
    The colors again are: Blue, Magenta, Gold

mtbr member
    YellowBook,
    You are showing us two different bikes? One with disc brakes, one with rim brakes? (Is that like one for you, one for Significant other?) Those paint jobs are beautiful. Did you prep and paint that yourself? Is that really paint out of a rattle can? Wow!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    No, it's the same bike/frame, I first had V-brakes and switched to Discs later.

Yeah, both forks are painted with paint out of a rattle can!
    I just think the red/blue matches better than the magenta/gold.

And yes, painted and prepped it myself.

mtbr member

Mmmm, Plums

I, gulp, had a 99 Mantra Pro in Plum Crazy. I am surprised they brought it back for 07.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I ended up sending my frameset to SEM Custom Paint in San Antonio, TX. He paints many bikes for manufacturers who display them at InterBike. From what I have seen, he might actually do a better job than had I been able to submit the frameset to Klein directly. Every logo and series of lettering is perfect; I can't wait to get it back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ^^^ GREAT!
    Make sure to post 2 million pictures when you get it back!