Thread: Klein questions

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Klein questions

Walking through the local Mont Bell (REI in Japan) my wife and I ran across an '05 Klein Attitude (deore hydro brakes, xt rear, lx front, bontrager wheel set, deore shifters, RS duke race, etc) which is marked as "ask" for a price. This advertised price is not very common in japan. After asking how much, the sales man said 144,000en (~$1250)

I have been out of the loop for a number of years, and remember reading the other day that some of the nice bikes of my day were bought out and gone more "corporate" (barracuda, bontrager, Kestrel, etc) is Klein one of these? Being the schmuck I am, I would like to pick the bike up for my wife's anniversy gift, but as I am still stuck with my '00 stumpy M2 and it's pimptastic classic technology, I don't know what I am doing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They were bought by Trek years and years and years ago. That being said, the Attitude is a great frame. I mean, there's nothing wrong with Trek. I have an 01 Attitude that lives life as a singlespeed now. I love it and reluctantly admit a complete attachment to it. I'm pretty sure that they are still made in Wisconsin.

I wouldn't worry about the "corporate" thing. Unless you are buying from a custom builder, your frame will either be made in Waterloo, WI, (Trek) Bedford, PA (Cannondale) or one of 4 or 5 factories in Taiwan. We're all probably riding Giants and don't know it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    They were bought by Trek years and years and years ago. That being said, the Attitude is a great frame. I mean, there's nothing wrong with Trek. I have an 01 Attitude that lives life as a singlespeed now. I love it and reluctantly admit a complete attachment to it. I'm pretty sure that they are still made in Wisconsin.

I wouldn't worry about the "corporate" thing. Unless you are buying from a custom builder, your frame will either be made in Waterloo, WI, (Trek) Bedford, PA (Cannondale) or one of 4 or 5 factories in Taiwan. We're all probably riding Giants and don't know it.
    Excellent points. BTW, wasn't your 01 Klein made in Challis, WA. Mine was. Changed in 02, I'm pretty sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have no problems buying the corprate moniker, hell I ride an '00 stumpy m2 and building an '06 stumpy fsr.

How is the price for the bike. Japanese shops tend to gouge the hell out of their prices on good american products.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Klein isn't dead yet, but as far as mountain bikes, go, they're letting their line die on the vine.

Klein made some of the nicest aluminum frames, at one time. These days, the alu hardtail is something of a commodity-type item and you dont see as high a level of workmanship going into them, generally speaking.

I'd snap it up, and take good care of it. Im sure it will be a collectors item soon, especially in Asia.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It is all a matter of how pure you want your bike to go. To give you the simple answer: yes, Klein has gone corporate. While suffering major financial difficulties in the mid-90's, Trek purchased Klein with intent to have the mark compete with the likes of Cannondale road bikes. Trek quickly realized they could simply make such rival products under the Trek name and Klein has since been left to wither away. Considering what is on the market today, the Attitude you looked at is a great bike. For someone like myself, I would never buy a Klein that is any newer than 1996. Post 1996, Klein started to loose its touch and become more "generic" and mainstream. I have a 1994 Klein Rascal that I have restored and rebuilt using all 2007 components; many parts are custom made; it is designed to rival the likes of any current bike, even a 2007 Attitude XX (my Rascal is painted the same Sputnik Re-entry/Black Deboss).

If you seek a bike to simply purchase, with a warrenty, and ride/enjoy, go get your Trek-era Klein. If you want something more sought-after and nostalgic, buy a "real" Klein and rebuild it with modern components.

mtbr member

That sounds correct

The current base model Attitude is 179,000 with rigid fork. I pesonally would buy the base model because I like the fork. It is the Switchblade.

CHeck out Bill's Japan videos for places to ride.
    http://mountainbikebill.com/Japan.htm

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well, after soul searching, verbal and physical abuse from friends, I will be getting my wife a good XC FS bike. I was told it would be unfair to buy my wife a nice HT and finish the build on my S-Works (SJ) FSR 120. Not to mention that we have two HT's in the house already, My '00 SJ M2 Comp, and a long term borrow GT.

thanks all for the advice.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by corprin
    Walking through the local Mont Bell (REI in Japan) my wife and I ran across an '05 Klein Attitude (deore hydro brakes, xt rear, lx front, bontrager wheel set, deore shifters, RS duke race, etc) which is marked as "ask" for a price. This advertised price is not very common in japan. After asking how much, the sales man said 144,000en (~$1250)

I have been out of the loop for a number of years, and remember reading the other day that some of the nice bikes of my day were bought out and gone more "corporate" (barracuda, bontrager, Kestrel, etc) is Klein one of these? Being the schmuck I am, I would like to pick the bike up for my wife's anniversy gift, but as I am still stuck with my '00 stumpy M2 and it's pimptastic classic technology, I don't know what I am doing.

A little on the high side for a NOS bike. I would offer them $1000 (US) then walk away if they don't take it. Check through the postings here on mtbr.com

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardt...t_123276.shtml

The bike shop should be lucky to off the bike and make $50.00.....they have most likely lost all the profit in the bike since it has been sitting on there show room floor for so long.