Weiner Dog Connoiseur

Klein Pulse Comp Reborn again & again

Back in January of 1999, I purchased a '98 Klein Pulse Comp. It served me admirably as my main off-road bike until 2005. I went to full squishy, and the Klein was reborn as a slick tire hardtail. It made for a suprisingly good road-type bike. Then I purchased a Burley trailer, and the Klein was reborn again as a trailer-tug. Again, the bike excelled in its new role.

Now, it's getting its knobbies back. I have joined our local Park Police Volunteer Patrol, and the Klein really makes an excellent patrol bike. You can slap on the extra racks and various other accessories and it readily adapts to its new role. It's still light, agile and quick, even loaded down.

After nearly a decade, very little of the bike is original besides the frame. The Manitou Spyder finally gave up the ghost this year, so it got replaced by a Rock Shox Judy. The Avid 1.0s gave way to Avid 7s, the wheels have been replaced (still Bontrager Maverick, just newer ones), as has the handlebar, stem and saddle. One major item that is still original are the derailleurs...Shimano STX up front, Deore LX in the rear. These derailleurs are still operating great and are smoother than the XTs on my Trek.

It's a great bike. Probably the best money I ever spent on a bike, seeing that it has lived such a long and adaptive life.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Totally useless, I mean really, this thread is totally lame without pictures!
    :-)

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbook
    Totally useless, I mean really, this thread is totally lame without pictures!
    :-)
    I don't have pictures of the Klein in full patrol regalia, but here are some pics from previous incarnations:

As a mountain bike, still basically stock, but with SuperStock wheels versus the Mavericks. I was using the Thudbuster for a while but went back to the stock seatpost.

As a slick tire bike / trailer tug. I discarded the bar ends and the thudbuster shortly after this picture was taken. Those are Maxxis 26 x 1.5 pure slicks. Due to the reduced diameter compared to knobbies, I tend to "spin-out" at high speeds, but most of my riding is done at 12 - 15 mph, where the bike is well suited

I'll post pics in patrol dress shortly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Not a fan of the seatpost, but other than that, beautiful Klein.
    Nice color, nice clean look!

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbook
    Not a fan of the seatpost, but other than that, beautiful Klein.
    Nice color, nice clean look!
    Thanks!

I pitched the seatpost. I needed to ride with one for a while as I had suffered a compression fracture of two vertabrae, so the extra "sproing" protected the injured area. Eventually, between better technique and stronger muscles in the affected area, the seatpost wasn't necessary.

In patrol regalia, it's a bit more cluttered as I have a rack on the back of the bike, two water bottle cages, and if you add the lights for night riding, the bike starts to look more like a commuter bike. At least the frame is light enough to take all that extra stuff tossed onto it.