mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Klein Palomino ?

I plan to start building a xc/trail bike in the near future and I found a good deal at a local dealer for a Klein Palomino frame w/ the rear Maverick rear shox (~ $500). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this frame before?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My absolute least-favorite frame I've ever ridden. The distance between the saddle and the pedals changes as the suspension compresses. I hate that feeling. I've never heard of any Palomino owner experiencing decent front derailleur performance, either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My LBS has a blue medium Palomino its an 06 I think (the last year they were made). Its been on the floor forever and is marked down supposedly to cost ($1900 I think). They can't give the thing away. Its full XT I think. Part of the problem is the flexy Maverick front fork. I rode one several years ago and was not impressed. The floating bb is interesting to say the least.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well, I am not gonna buy the whole bike. The deal is for the frame only, including the rear suspension. Considering that I will buy the rest by myself, I was wondering whether the frame is worth making the investment ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I own a 2004 Palomino X and love it, its very responsive and handles like a dream.

People will have issues with the rear linkage- which is not necessarily traditional....however you have to weigh the advantages and downfalls...

Front derailler problems can exist, but they are usually easily fixed....like making sure you're rear shock pressure is correct

The rear suspension delivers zero "bob" on climbs, I can out-climb most of my fellow riders and I attribute that mostly to my ability to stand-up on technical stuff without fear of losing rear traction. Unfortunately, the trade-off is there are virtually no upgrades for the Palomino rear Maverick shock....I personally have no issues with this but some believe if some revolutionary shock comes out, us Palomino riders will be left out in the cold.

If you have any other questions I can help out with, let me know

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks a lot for the offer of help! I will definitely bug you after I get the frame and start building on it. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyNovember
    I've never heard of any Palomino owner experiencing decent front derailleur performance, either.
    I liked mine quite a bit. The only reason I sold it is because I made the mistake of trying 29" wheels.

As for the front derailleur performance, get a D-mount kit from Maverick and put a road triple braze-on front derailleur on it. Solved my front shift problems. I also used a friction SRAM front shifter.

Ride it till the bushings wear out and then upgrade to Maverick's bearing swing link kit.

gigidy gigidy
    Jun 2004
    I have one,bought the frame and built it up. I love it. I haven't had problems with the bushings yet, but I will probably upgrade to the maverick kit. I took one for a ride and it really does make a difference.