mtbr member
    Oct 2008

IS Klein gone in the US?

I visited Kleins website today and just happened to peak into their Japan website. They list 2009 bikes yet the US site is still stuck in 2007. At last count (three years ago) there were a handful (~7-8) dealers in the entire US. So my question is, IS Klein on the way out?

mtbr member
    Klein got the AX as of this year....... no official sources.... just a bunch of industry chat.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not sure what wyrm means by "got the AX", but Klein is set to return with road bike offerings as Lemond leaves the Trek fold.

Apparently, the bigwig(s) at Trek have promised not to interfere with the usp (unique selling point) of the Klein designs (like they did in the past).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Standard3x Trek was going to bring Klein back out to replace Lemond. But that is not going to happen. Trek and Trek dealers voted instead to have the road bikes come out under the Fisher name. I do not think you will see anymore Kleins in the US. Japen will be the only market for them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That would be a big mistake on the part of Trek.

In these harsh economic times, the quickest way to making a fast buck may not be the best move in the long run.

I don't think that any Gary Fisher road bike offering will have enough of an edge to tempt me to buy when I've got the choice of all the European offerings (I'm located in London UK) to choose from.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    There will be only three Gary Fisher multi-speed road bikes right now. Pretty basic stuff. Specs look decent. I'm eager to try one out. They're not gonna compete with high-end stuff from established brands. But an entry-level rider may be right at home.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

2010 will be a larger

Trek/Fisher did not have enough time to come out with a complete road line (after Trek dumped Lemond). They did not want to just rebadge Lemond's. Fisher for 2010 will have a complete road line. From basic upto Carbon. One of the US teams, that ride Lemond bikes, are switching over to Fisher. This is going to be big for Trek. Not just a small niche brand like Klein.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Their website is gone

As of today (oct 30), Klein's website doesn't exist. Maybe its just a server error or downtime.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Upset I got the answer

Thanks for writing. You are correct in that we will not be offering Klein bikes for 2009. Beyond this model year I am not sure of the future of the brand. Hope this clears things up and thanks for choosing Trek! Tailwinds... James Wiegand| TREK Bicycle Corporation| Technical Support|james_wiegand@trekbikes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0