mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Klein broke... recieving new fuel EX9

I had a Klein mantra comp for the last 9 years. Recently the chain stay broke and Trek is replacing the frame under warranty with a new fuel EX9... I am happy that they are honoring their lifetime frame replacement but i am worried that the difference is travel is going to effect my riding style.

Presently i ride light XC with 2-3 foot drops with the occasional 2-3 foot high log climbs. I do tend to stay seated for all but the largest drops/climbs. will the fuels 130mm/ 5.1 inches accommodate my riding style? There is no local shops with any fuels in stock to ride..

the last thing i am worried about is the rear triangle and the lack of a pivot at the rear wheel. wouldn't this be a stress point? all other manufactures i have seen with the same design have a pivot there.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    You may want to look closer at what bike you're getting. The EX series has always had a rear pivot. The current model uses what Trek calls an "Active Braking Pivot" where the rear pivot is concentric with the rear axle. This can be difficult to see if you're not sure what you're looking for. I recommend visiting Trek's Fuel EX website - http://www.trekbikes.com/fuelex/ - and taking a couple of minutes to learn about what you'll be riding.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks for the info.. im watching the video now..

mtbr member
    I have a 2008 EX9 and it performs just like what they all said in that video...you'll be very happy with it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i fear i might be receiving a 2007.. is there any difference?

mtbr member
    You're getting a great deal! I'm glad Trek is honoring a warranty on such an old frame.

The EX suspension design is leaps and bounds better than your old Mantra. URT designs faded away for a reason. It won't won't have that hardtail feel when you stand, but never the less, you're in for a real treat!

If you can swing it, it might be time to consider a new fork and disc brakes too. Enjoy the ride and let us know what you think of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I never got that hard tail feeling..only an annoying, rhythmic bob and the sensation that i was going to fall over the handlebars ... lol

it was nice to have the extra travel, even if it was a bit much.

i just missed out on a sick deal on ebay for a shock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=019

The new 08 frames had the 1 1/2 - 1 1/8 headset.. maybe i should just wait to see what they give me. i really dont want to buy something thats not gonna fit

mtbr member
    u wont have a problem i love mine, and as for getting a brand new top of the line trek after 9 years on the old bike id be very very very happy

Quote Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
    I never got that hard tail feeling..only an annoying, rhythmic bob and the sensation that i was going to fall over the handlebars ... lol
    Hmmmm, I seem to recall my brother saying the same thing about his Mantra Comp .... LOL !!! He still has his but rarely rides anymore.
    That's cool Trek stood by their warranty and are setting you up with a modern fs frame - kinda sucks you have to build it up, but....that'd be part of the fun is pickin' and choosin'

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Hat
    You're getting a great deal! I'm glad Trek is honoring a warranty on such an old frame.

The EX suspension design is leaps and bounds better than your old Mantra. URT designs faded away for a reason. It won't won't have that hardtail feel when you stand, but never the less, you're in for a real treat!

If you can swing it, it might be time to consider a new fork and disc brakes too. Enjoy the ride and let us know what you think of it.
    I would echo those thoughts. With just about any company, if you get an upgrade from a nine year old bike to a current model you are going to end up with a much better bike with superior technology. Bikes have come a long way.

I wouldn't worry about it if they gave you a leftover 2007. A 2008 with ABP would be better, but still an upgrade to a 2007 sounds like a great deal. (I just started riding a 2007 Fuel EX9.0, the carbon version, and it is one heck of a bike even with the "old" suspension).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Previous to 2007, there was no pivot near the axle at all.

The 2007 EX9 put the rear pivot above the axle.

The 2008 EX9 put the rear pivot coincident with the axle. (ABP).

The 2008 EX9 is the stuff you want, but the 2007 EX9 is nearly as good. Earlier models are not desirable.

responsible zombie owner
    wow kudos to Trek they actually stood by their warranty. not often you hear anything but excuses and get-out clauses from companies.

have fun building it up. what a great excuse to go window-shopping online... and then plunking down some moolah for parts and upgrades.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not following you guys with the surprise that Trek is honoring a lifetime warranty. Its not like it had a stipulation for time. lifetime is lifetime.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm not following you guys with the surprise that Trek is honoring a lifetime warranty. Its not like it had a stipulation for time. lifetime is lifetime.
    It is because, in the U.S., "lifetime" has come to mean "usable life of a product" rather than the obvious meaning of the word "the time the original purchaser has the product, which might be his/her entire life".

Many would expect the usable life of a product that takes a beating to be only a few years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    When i dropped 2 large on this thing i signed a paper that reads:

"Klein Bicycle Corporation warrants each new Klein frame, rigid fork, or original component part of the bicycle against defects in workmanship and materials. For the lifetime of the original owner – The bicycle frame, except the fork."

In plane English that means Klein will stand behind the frame till it eventually breaks, and when it does they will cover it, forever or until i die.

It doesn't read that we will cover it till we consider it antiquated, or till its old, or till we change our mind.

Tho it does mention that it does not cover normal wear and tear, I would argue that an aluminum tube snapping in half at the weld is not normal, nor wear and tear.

Agreed ..... I was just stating that is cool of Trek to honor their warranty.......I seem to remember a LOT of sour grapes over on the Elsworth (Ellsworth ???) forum regarding warranty issues...was fun to read Trek makes great bikes at a decent price point with an excellent warranty...... works for me !!! I still ride my '01 Fuel 90.....there were many early model Fuels with frame failure in the wierd seattube design they had back then ..... mine's survived....so far...heh. Of course, if it broke and they sent me a new TopFuel frame, I sure wouldn't complain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhood
    Previous to 2007, there was no pivot near the axle at all.

The 2007 EX9 put the rear pivot above the axle.

The 2008 EX9 put the rear pivot coincident with the axle. (ABP).

The 2008 EX9 is the stuff you want, but the 2007 EX9 is nearly as good. Earlier models are not desirable.
    2008:
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...rchive/fuelex9

2007:

2006:

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ok yes wow Trek is going to do the right thing.

BUT on to the more important fact, you are getting a great bike that is, probably, the best full suspension bike made for 2008. I just got my EX9 and let me say that it is the best bike I have ever ridden. The bike comes with a few things that you will want to change almost right away. The grips and Tires; I went tubeless when I changed my tires out, and let me say WOW great move. It will give you a lot more traction. The grips just bugged me you never know you might like them. Really the best thing you can do is get the bike and ride it. Then start trying to figure out what you need.

Congratulation,

Ben

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I wish i was receiving a whole bike... they are sending me a frame with a rear shock. nothing else...

responsible zombie owner
    "I'm not following you guys with the surprise that Trek is honoring a lifetime warranty."

I didn't mean to sound surprised about Trek keeping their promise, but contrasting it with other companies (in all fields, not just bikes) who duck when it counts.

"I wish i was receiving a whole bike... they are sending me a frame with a rear shock. nothing else..."

Perfect excuse to go parts-shopping. Take your time and enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well it looks like the only parts i can use from the old bike are the XTR rear derailleur, crank, BB (maybe), rims if i re spoke them and buy disk hubs, bars, and stem.

I need :
    complete hydro brakes
    front derailleur
    front fork
    disk wheels
    all new cables
    headset
    seat post

= ?$

In Gary Kleins infinite wisdom he uses a proprietary headset and shock tube with cant be used on any other model. The shock tube transitions from 29.48 mm to 1 1/8 ".

Being that I'm a full time student with only a part time job this is becoming a huge issue for me.

mtbr member
    I wish i was receiving a whole bike... they are sending me a frame with a rear shock. nothing else...
    maybe because it was only the FRAME that has lifetime??? your lucky they sent you the shock if you ask me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I did buy some parts.. abit the levers are low quality.. but they will get the job done...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=014

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=011
    Last edited by gotboostedvr6; 10-03-2008 at 12:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have an XT and so does my buddy. No problems with ether and my buddy's is 2 years old. same with the juice 7 breaks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What do you guys think about the 2007 EX6?

minus shifters and derailleurs (i know they suck) I'm more worried about the shocks, frame and wheelset..
    info found here

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...rchive/fuelex6.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    the 2007 EX6 does not appear to have a rear pivot. You really want a 2007 ex7 or better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I received an offer for a complete brand new bike... id have to add $300 ish. (EDIT) its $500 including tax and prep ect

It would save me alot of time in the long run...

just keeping my options open till i make up my mind
    Last edited by gotboostedvr6; 10-06-2008 at 10:46 AM.

mtbr member
    so they want $300 extra and you get the 06 EX6? and your still going to want to spend another $400 (ebayed price) to $600-700 ish for a new RD FD and shifters, then there's the cranks, forks and the el cheapo rear shock

really if i were you id be going with the EX9, but if you cant afford to equip it well its guna be a s#itty bike anyway so you have to consider that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The LBS is offering me a 07 ex6 complete rolling bike plus $500 (tax assembly and shipping) for the credit Trek is giving me for my frame.

The 100mm front-rear travel is a bit light IMO plus the crappy components
    Last edited by gotboostedvr6; 10-06-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Kilted Trek nut
    I'd probably stick with the EX9. Even though it means you're looking at purchasing parts to replace the items that won't transfer over to the EX9 from the Klein. At least, you can check with companies like Recycled Cycles, based out of Seattle, WA for parts that have been used a bit, but are in good working order. http://www.recycledcycles.com - send them an email and see if they have what you need. If they do, don't expect to pay much for it. They charge $5 for derailleurs and headsets (got a Cane Creek Aheadset for my '94 930 from them for $5). Seatposts are around $5 as well. If they've a suitable fork, it'll range between $15 and $70 or so, depending on what they have and what you want used.

That will at least get you riding again. As you get more $ in, then start upgrading to new components, if the used stuff isn't satisfactory.

-J
    Bike: 1994 Trek 930
    Car: 1985 Volvo 240 Turbo wagon

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1994Trek930
    I'd probably stick with the EX9. Even though it means you're looking at purchasing parts to replace the items that won't transfer over to the EX9 from the Klein. At least, you can check with companies like Recycled Cycles, based out of Seattle, WA for parts that have been used a bit, but are in good working order. http://www.recycledcycles.com - send them an email and see if they have what you need. If they do, don't expect to pay much for it. They charge $5 for derailleurs and headsets (got a Cane Creek Aheadset for my '94 930 from them for $5). Seatposts are around $5 as well. If they've a suitable fork, it'll range between $15 and $70 or so, depending on what they have and what you want used.

That will at least get you riding again. As you get more $ in, then start upgrading to new components, if the used stuff isn't satisfactory.

-J
    I agree. If you can get a model with the rear pivot, you want it.

I was able to build an EX9 from frame ($330) + ~$500 + leftover parts (whole bike was ~$800 out of pocket). You can see it here:

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...Dougs%20Bikes/

Component wise, it is equiv to a 2008 EX5.

I could have got a lesser frame and saved some $$$, but I plan on riding this bike a very long time (rode my old Stumpjumper for 15 years!).
    Last edited by rdhood; 10-06-2008 at 02:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just returned from test riding a 07 EX6 and am very unimpressed. It looks like ill be building an EX9.

Thank you all for the advice!! Ill start a build thread once i get some parts together.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I just returned from test riding a 07 EX6 and am very unimpressed. It looks like ill be building an EX9.

Thank you all for the advice!! Ill start a build thread once i get some parts together.
    I just pmed you but just incase, I am in the same situation as you. I have a 1999 mantra with a cracked swingarm. I have all my original paperwork except the sales reciept I can't find it to save my life and the store were I bought the bike has long since closed. I had just pulled the frame out of storage and I was cleaning it up when I noticed a big crack. Do you guys think I will have any luck? Did you have to provide your original reciept? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    see PM

Members who have read this thread: 0