mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Klein Adept creaking

happens when i am mashing on the downstroke or uphill of course. tightened everything including wheel axles and seat post.
    narrowed it down to pivots and/or bb
    although the pivots don't make any noise when i bounce up and down on the bike to enagage the suspension. would it then most likely be the bb?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Yes, BB.

Yes. Mine did it and I took all the pivots apart and seat post too and still, creaking. Most likely the BB just needs removed and cleaned as well as the BB housing on the frame. Clean the threads out well on both the BB itself and the frame threads. If you have had occasion to get the BB area wet make sure you clean any rust from both areas as well. yes rust, even though the frame is AL the BB shell is sometimes steel/cromoly, my XTR has a little rust usually on its' shell. Reinstall using a good water resistant grease on the threads. I use Phil in the green tubes. When I do this I let the bike set over night to let any moisture or solvents used to clean evaporate before the reinstall. Good luck and hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gsy971
    happens when i am mashing on the downstroke or uphill of course. tightened everything including wheel axles and seat post.
    narrowed it down to pivots and/or bb
    although the pivots don't make any noise when i bounce up and down on the bike to enagage the suspension. would it then most likely be the bb?
    Does it do it only while seated, or does it occur when standing and mashing as well ? If only seated, it may be the dreaded "seattube creak" of Fuel infamy. try squirting some lube down inside the seattube .... the Adept is likely same seattube design as the Fuel, pieced together from different tubes - slight flex there allows metal on metal contact in there and creaks sometimes. Easy fix (if somewhat temporary....dunno long term consequences, but my '01 Fuel hasn'r broken.....yet )

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    only when standing and/or mashing hard on the pedals. when sitting and riding on flat smooth surface, there is no creak. once i start pushing hard, the creaking begins. i will try riding w/o seatpost and changing my mallets to my wifes platforms and see if i get the same thing

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    nope..took off seatpost/swaped pedals...still creaks
    getting close to servicing pivots.

only when standing and/or mashing hard on the pedals. when sitting and riding on flat smooth surface, there is no creak. once i start pushing hard, the creaking begins.
    Hmmm...ok, so it's not the seattube....could very well be the bottom bracket ..... or perhaps the heatset/stem/bar area - sound has a wierd way of traveling with an alu frame and is hard to pinpoint. When I had the seattube creak on my Fuel, it seemed to come from the handlebar area as I really cranked while seated - was the wierd seattube design after all, resonating through the tubes and for the life of me I couldn't tell where it came from. Someone's advice on here steered me in the right direction and all's been good since Here's wishing you luck in figuring it out, as I know little creaks like that can drive you really crazy (moreso than something just breaking and you know what's wrong)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    okay problem fixed. tightened the pivot bolts. damn that was too simple. concentrated too much on the bb.

okay problem fixed. tightened the pivot bolts. damn that was too simple. concentrated too much on the bb.
    Good deal...glad to hear ya figured it out