Neg reppers r my biatches

King Fisher 2 ride reports?

I used the search engine and found some stuff....mostly King Fisher versus Session stuff.

I can get a good deal on Fishers.......just sold my dream FS bike and will be back in the market for a FS bike real soon......but nothing nearly as blingly as the one i sold. Given the time I will use it, I cant justify more than 1500-1800 max this time around for the FS bike.

Plus, I ride mostly hardtails so i figure I want something with more than 5" travel this time to really set the bike apart from my hardtails, since for even moderately technical riding, I will just bring the hardtail anyway.

The King fisher looks sweet.....i can also get good deals on Konas but the Stinky seattubes are definitely geared for going down (ie, super short) and just wont work for mixing it up with lots of XC riding as well.

Any known weights for the complete King Fisher 2 would be appreciated as I am just curious.

Cheers

mtbr member

King Fisher

Great Freeride bike.

If you have a Hardtail for the XC rides and this to play with on Technical and Fun stuff you may find yourself riding the KF more then you think. I bought one about two weeks and it's a lot of fun in the Freeride/Rough as well as flying DH. It also holds it's own with the XC guys. I'm just as fast in the flat and twisties single track, it's much quicker through the technical and downhill section, but you pay the price of the weight on the climbs. (It actually climbs quite well if you drop it in a low gear and spin your way up but XC will pull away), and on the flat double track it the XC will pull away as well.

My description would be it makes the fun stuff alot more fun then anything I've riden and the rest is still fun but slower.

Oh and the place you feel the weight is if you are doing a 30KM + XC you spend a noticable amount more energy, but it is great endurance training.

Quote Originally Posted by Dust_Head
    Great Freeride bike.

If you have a Hardtail for the XC rides and this to play with on Technical and Fun stuff you may find yourself riding the KF more then you think. I bought one about two weeks and it's a lot of fun in the Freeride/Rough as well as flying DH. It also holds it's own with the XC guys. I'm just as fast in the flat and twisties single track, it's much quicker through the technical and downhill section, but you pay the price of the weight on the climbs. (It actually climbs quite well if you drop it in a low gear and spin your way up but XC will pull away), and on the flat double track it the XC will pull away as well.

My description would be it makes the fun stuff alot more fun then anything I've riden and the rest is still fun but slower.

Oh and the place you feel the weight is if you are doing a 30KM + XC you spend a noticable amount more energy, but it is great endurance training.
    thanks for the feedback! i dont mind burning extra calories trying to keep up with my lycra-wearing XC friends and like you said, great training.

which one do you have? I am looking at the cheaper of the 2 and the only reservatoin is the fork....though i can always change it down the road.

thanks again!

mtbr member
    I have the cheaper of the two as well, it's an '05 and the only difference is the front fork, and it definately isn't the greatest (works fine so far, but it is bouncy and reviews say they don't last if you really beat it up). I believe the '06's the cheaper model also has a cheaper drivetrain. But all in all no complaints and when the shock goes you can replace it with something better.

Another note after riding in some mud this weekend the tires after a few minutes in the mud. It builds up becomes really slick, those are going to be the first on my swap list.

thanks again....

yeah, front fork will probably not last long if i get one. jenson has some sweet deals on forks....firefly for $379 and the Sherman Slider for even less than that. tempting

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    thanks for the feedback! i dont mind burning extra calories trying to keep up with my lycra-wearing XC friends and like you said, great training.

which one do you have? I am looking at the cheaper of the 2 and the only reservatoin is the fork....though i can always change it down the road.

thanks again!

My LBS has a L KF 1 demo bike. Took it out for a test ride. Looks really tall when you look at it. Once on it, it does not seem that big. This is a '06 bike with X.0 drivetrain and still weighs in at 43 lbs. and you feel every lbs of that when climbing. Still at that weight, the bike handles DH pretty well. Jumps nice. The bike is loud. The large monocoque frame seems to amplify every little noise. The one I rode had a bash guard in place of a big ring....I would prefer to have the big ring. There were times I was wishing I had more gear. The Big Earl tires leave a lot to be desired. They are heavy and lack confidence in the loose over hardpack we have here in So. Cal.

The only bike I could really compare it to is a Santa Cruz Bullit. And to be honest, I like the Bullit better. It is lighter and quieter. When you look at the KF, they just look like cheap downhill bikes based on the frame. I know they are well built and sturdy, they just look cheap.

If you work at a shop and can get a great deal on one, go for it. But if I had to pay retail, I would buy something else.

mtnbikej

good review...thanks!

i am now trying trade one of my newer 29er bikes for something....i have an add posted on mtbr. if i cant get a trade i may just sell it and look for a used bike like a bullit.