pin it to win it
    Nov 2005

king earl wheels

just wonderin if any f you have king earl wheels. and how much do u like them , and if u ahve any problems with them. im lookin to get the front for my p1
    Last edited by mtbames190; 03-13-2006 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Me and my uncle both have Bontrager King Earl wheelsets. And he has had nothing but problems. he was riding it one day and when he tried to peddle, it just spun freewheel both ways. took it to trek they said they fixed it. 2 rides latter same thing. the whole inside was messed up. i have had no problems yet and hope i dont. thats my info on them.
    good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by treksession7
    Me and my uncle both have Bontrager King Earl wheelsets. And he has had nothing but problems. he was riding it one day and when he tried to peddle, it just spun freewheel both ways. took it to trek they said they fixed it. 2 rides latter same thing. the whole inside was messed up. i have had no problems yet and hope i dont. thats my info on them.
    good luck.
    there was an issue on early models with the pawls in the freehub body. I assume this issue has been addressed with replacements.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I know this thread is over a year old, but seems like they have not fixed the problem.

I bought a set of king earls back in March and after three rides the freewheel broke. When we opened it up at the shop, 2 of the paws were chipped. Bontrager sent me a new rear wheel. This one lasted a little longer. On a ride today and the freewheel started slipping.

Anyone else have this problem lately?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    yes I have a 05 session 77 I have been through 3 freewheels and I will be on my second big earl rear wheel. The big has less than 75 XC miles on it. Trek and lbs have been cool about things.
    Jimmy B

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I picked my 3rd wheel up on Tuesday and got a good explaination of the problem.

The axle nut on the drive side is backing out, causing the freewheel to slip and break teeth. If you look at the axle nut, it only has 3-4 threads (for the QR wheels). That's not much to hold things in place. Their solution is to make sure you put locktite on it.

They've been great about getting the problem fixed too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Think1up let us all know how the new wheel holds up? When I get mine I will do the same.
    Jimmy B

mtbr member
    I was thinking of getting these but may get Deemax instead. The King Earls are light though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    hmmm..... I've had my King Earls for more than a year and they've held up fine. They're 150 x 12 bolt on if that makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Rear hub has died again....