mtbr member

keep upgrading or buy Superfly Al Elite?

So I have a 2011 Trek Marlin 29er, I liked it at first, still do, but would like a smoother ride. I thought Id change components to build my own Superfly Al Elite.
    Changed the fork to a Fox CDT now brakes to the Avids BB7, have better pedals and grips, wanted later to swap out bottom bracket and crank set, Derailleurs to X7's, the list goes on
    Was wondering if I should keep upgrading components to essentially arrive at a Superfly Al Elite setup or just go out and buy a Superfly Al Elite for $2300?
    Any input is appreciated of pros / cons.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I understand your dilema. The big difference in the frame is that you would have the E2 tapered steer tube. That is going to help with stiffness and control in the front of the bike. Ultimately it would end up costing you more to upgrade your Marlin than to just buy the Superfly but its a tough one seeing that you already spent a chunk of change on the Fox CTD fork.

Honestly if it were me I would buy the superfly and try to sell the Fox fork to recover some of the expense.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I would return your Marlin to stock and sell it. Take your BB7 brakes and Fox fork and Ebay them. I dont think the X7 stuff is as good as the SLX/XT gear on the Superfly. Like Britishnate said you are still lacking the frame upgrades. You should be able to recoup about $1k with the bike sale, fork and brakes. Those BB7s seem to have a good rep.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

I'd rather be riding
    I second (or third) selling your upgrades and buying the SF. It's a great complete package. The shimano drivetrain and brakes are much better than the bb7/x7 combo, you'll get nicer wheels and still a fox fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You would also have a stiffer front on the Superfly with the 15 through axel.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

banned
    Apr 2009
    Why are you paying $2,300 for a Superfly??

I just read here that someone got a 2013 Trek Stache ($2,450) for $1,700!!

Look for a 2012 Elite (like I have)---just read about some others pulling the trigger on those fo A Lot less!!!----

Even if you want the 15mm up front (and go with the 2013) you should still get a better price..

ALSO I know there was a difference with the 2012 Elite (and regular model) about which one has a TRUE Tapered fork in it (you had to get the Elite on that model for that!)

Andrew
    Similar delemma to my situation. I completely rebuilt my last 29er but ultimately ended up selling it all built-up and bought a Superfly 100 because the bike just felt much stiffer and the G2 geometry is fantastic.. not to mention I got it for a steal in CF
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

T.W.O
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Why are you paying $2,300 for a Superfly??

I just read here that someone got a 2013 Trek Stache ($2,450) for $1,700!!

Look for a 2012 Elite (like I have)---just read about some others pulling the trigger on those fo A Lot less!!!----

Even if you want the 15mm up front (and go with the 2013) you should still get a better price..

ALSO I know there was a difference with the 2012 Elite (and regular model) about which one has a TRUE Tapered fork in it (you had to get the Elite on that model for that!)
    Idk what the circumstance was where they got that deal but that definitely doesn't happen consistently. Either they are lying about the price, it was damaged or some other strange reason because that is a deep discount.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)