Thread: To keep or not

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

To keep or not

Hey guys im new to this site, but not new to this sport. My question is this. I have 1999 8500LT that is bone stock and badly in need of a lot of work. Is the frame worth keeping and putting new components on or should i jump ship and get a new bike?
    2007 Roubaix Pro, DA pedals, S-Works shoes, Garmin 305
    1999 Trek 8500LT, Avid Juicy Seven's

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Depends on how much work you want done and how much of a bike you want to get. If you just need some new wheels then the few hundred would probably be better spent on the 8500. If you need wheels, cranks, pedals, cables, pads, etc. Then the labor + parts will eclipse the value of the bike (sentimental value notwithstanding).

Personally, if a bike that old (my 7000 is a contemporary of you 8500) was "badly in need of a lot of work" then I would start shopping for a new bike and bring it along to see if I could get a little trade-in credit. Of course, I still have my '99 7000 and it rides great and I don't think I'd ever sell it. I do regular upkeep on it but I doubt I've put more than a few hundred into it.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah im not real sure just how much work it needs. The wheels are fine(i think), the fork seems okay but the front disc brake is done for. I would really like to put a disc on the rear too. Should i take to my LBS and ask them to give it the once over? I would rather keep it as a beater than trade it in for very little money.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Well, if you want to put a disc (brake?) on the rear, I'm assuming that the wheel isn't disc-compatible already. So now you need to buy a disc-compatible wheel. You're looking at least looking to spend $60 for a basic disc-ready wheel. A basic brake would run you around $60.. I would imagine that the pads for your front brake is still available - $15. So now you're at $135 before labor charges.

I imagine a shop would give you no more than $100 towards a new bike. It all depends on what they think they can sell it for and how much work they'll need to put into it before they are ready to sell it - they would deduct the cost of new pads/misc brake work.

A current 8500 runs around $2000 so the trade-in value really won't make a dent in the cost. If it were me - and it has been - I would keep it as a beater and maybe turn it into a single speed or play around with it as a 69er just to shake things up.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The wheels are disc compatible (bontager maverick's) so if i can find something on Ebay for cheap i will probably go for it. Is the frame a good frame?

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Those were the ZX frames, right? I've still got mine and it works great. Keep your ears open for a creaking sound when you ride, though. Depending on the abuse it might have taken, the frame may not be as resilient as it was nearly ten years ago.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think it is ZR9000. I bought it new back in 99 and really didnt ride it hard. It sat in my closet for about 6 yrs till i finished school. I noticed the fork is leaking a little oil from the shaft seals, and the front disc brake dose not work anymore. Just sitting around has been the worst thing i have done to it.