mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Just bought a Klein

Just bought a Pulse Pro with lots of upgrades.

This bike was very well taken care of, with lots of upgrade.
    Originally I want an Attitude, but this Pulse was simply too sweet to pass.

This leads to my questions.

What are the major differences between a Pulse and an Attitude other then the obvious.
    Internal cable vs. external
    Head tude size
    Price

What are the performance differences, for example how are they different in terms of ride, and what are the differences between Pulse Comp and a Puls Pro.

At http://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...hardtailframes
    they have the Pulse Comp at 2.8 lbs. Vs. 3.4 lbs for the Attitude. is this correct?

Would love to hear some klein owners on there opinion.

thanks.

Will.

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    I think the weights are backwards. To the best of my knowledge, the Pulse frame is 3.4 pounds.

I have no experience with the Attitude, but I've owned my Pulse Comp since January 1999. Even though mine's pretty much been put out to pasture as a slick-tire and toddler towing rig, It's still wonderful bike. It's rugged and a fast climber. It's also a versatile platfor. With a set of slicks, it makes for a very enjoyable road/commuter bike. I've heard the frame is great for SS conversions, too, but I have not tried that. I still put the knobbies on every now and again just to get it "out there". I may still try racing it over the summer.

If the existing derailleurs are still doing okay...leave them. The derailleurs on my '98 Klein are still more crisp and reliable than the ones on my '05 Trek Fuel.

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by Free Willy
    What are the major differences between a Pulse and an Attitude other then the obvious.
    Internal cable vs. external
    Head tude size
    Price

What are the performance differences, for example how are they different in terms of ride, and what are the differences between Pulse Comp and a Puls Pro.
    Will.
    Pulse Comp, Race and Pro have all the same frames, only the parts are different (Comp being the cheapest, Pro the most expensive)

The Attitudes from 1997 onward have 1 1/8" head tubes, just like the Pulse frames. Only the 1996 and older 'tudes have the Klein specific oversize airhead.
    The Attitudes have the lighter Gradient tubes (internally butted, thinner walls etc.), the Pulse Comp, Race and Pro have the externally butted and a little heavier Power Tubing tubes. The Pulses have pretty poor paints that chip easily and sometimes even fall off in large pieces. A dealer once told me that one large batch of these Pulse frames had misaligned rear triangles but was nonetheless sold.
    But even if misaligned they are probably still as good as any other relatively cheap Al frame, just in comparison with the "true" Kleins they don't look that good.
    But most important is that they have the same geometry as the pre-Trek Pulse frames and thus ride just as nice. I think they are darn good riders!

Carsten

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the info.

Thankfully this bike was very well taken care of. The paint looks awesome.

Gold with a some metalic green undercoat.

How do I post pictures?

thanks,

will.

He be a moose too.
    look below the text box and you'll see a button that says "upload images", click on it, browse for the images, click upload images, the close window. Easy as can be.

'Guin

No good in rock gardens..
    Yes! I love looking at classic Kleins.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No good in rock gardens..
    Very nice. Rear entry dropouts by the looks.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I can't tell you much compared to the Attitude, but I'm still riding a 10 year old Pulse Comp. The paint is chipped but the frame still looks sweet, and most of the components have been upgraded. No regrets keeping this one going.