Thread: Jones XR

Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006

Jones XR

I've been off the boards for a while and I'm coming back looking for an answer. How are the Jones XR's on climbing? I'm going to change my tire set up, and I'm looking at either Jones AC's (older set, never used though) or the XR's. I ride hardpack and loose, decent climbs, nice singletrack, basic XC stuff.
    Thanks all
    ~Shorty~

Double-metric mtb man
    I wasn't a big fan of the Jones XR's. They are a fairly quick tread if you're on well packed stuff or asphalt, but I found they got sketchy when it got loose. When wetness comes into play, forget about it...they readily pack up with mud / moist soil and won't clear.

If it is dry and things are more hardpack or small amounts of loose over hardpack, they will suffice. That being said, I found that they are not overly durable and I wore through a set fairly quickly....so buyer beware.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006
    alright, so the general idea that the XR's suck. how are the AC's? and if those are no good either, i wouldnt mind some other ideas please. I already said what i ride, don't ask me to do it again. If anyone responding is from Michigan, the trails I normally ride are Stony Creek and Pontiac Lake-to give you a better idea.
    ~Shorty~

Double-metric mtb man
    The ACX's are better than the Jones XR's...to a point. They still aren't great on mud or in moist conditions and they can be a little heavier.

If you're more into XC type stuff, singletrack with hardpack to loose, you may consider something like a Panaracer Fire XC Pro. It is a general purpose (meaning not a real master of any one thing) tire that seems to last pretty long and is respectable for most conditions until things start getting wet (and you shouldn't be riding wet singletrack anyway as it tears it up ). They are also fairly light (good for long rides) and can be found relatively cheap.

Whether you go wire bear or aramid is up to you, but I'd go for the Japanese 127TPI ones as they seem to be better quality than the Taiwanese OEM ones.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Bonti ACX tires rip for the abuse I dish them. I ride a 07 GF XCal 29er and float these tires up and down jagged Noreast baby heads on a regular basis. With 29" x 2.25" and 2.2" tyres I have been consistently cleaning very technical terrain, at full speed, with only my own developing skill to blame for any dabs. Are they the holy grail of tires? I dunno. I hear they don't do great as a Stan's setup. Whatever, 600 grams is light for this size tyre, so I'll use Continental tubes until I feel I need something else. Try and catch me. Good Luck. Nich.