mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I've decided on a 2006 GF Tassajara as my first XC MTB (Disc or no Disc?)...

First of all, do you guys think I've made a good decision. I've looked at a bunch of bikes, but we are fairly limited locally as far as dealers go (We have Giant, Jamis and a Fisher/Trek dealer locally). The Tass just seems like the most bike for the money and from what I've read it seems to be a solid platform that I can upgrade as time goes on. Do you guys agree? I'm a beginner (owned a Trek 6000-series ten years ago, but nothing since) and I want something that can grow with me, but I'm not ready (I don't think) to spend $1,000 on a HKEK or similar bike.

The only other dilemma I'm having is whether to get the disk brakes or not. I live in the SE, so we are sort of limited in our "gnarly" terrain. Do y'all think I need the disc brakes? I'm 5'11", 200 lbs.

Thanks guys!

w

No longer 26

Go with the discs

No reason not to go with discs on a new bike. Even if it does not seem like terrain etc would call for them they are a better choice IMO. They are more versatile than rim brakes.
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You don't NEED the disks.
    On the other hand getting the bike with disc brakes already on it means you don't have to wonder about it and later on you don't have to spend to put them on.

I've got V's on mine and they work fine but I'd already have upgraded to discs if I didn't have to replace the stock wheels which don't have disc hubs.

The Tass is a solid bike. I've got two friends with them and they are very happy with them. I'd be riding one except I decided to go with a leftover Big Sur. Just couldn't resist.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    No reason not to go with discs on a new bike. Even if it does not seem like terrain etc would call for them they are a better choice IMO. They are more versatile than rim brakes.
    G
    Huh? You didn't give any compelling reasons for him to get disc brakes. If the terrain/area was really wet and muddy, I could see it, but barring that, I do not see much of a reason why they would be a "must have."

Personally, if money is an issue, I would not get them and put that $$ toward some other components or clothes. IMO, disc brakes are overrated.
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Discs

It's a new bike, you can afford it, go with discs. Its not a matter of what terrain your riding in, its because now you don't have to worry about upgrading to discs in the future and spending alot more to get new disc hubs/wheels. Basically, you'll be saving money and time in the long run if do decide to go disc. And unless you racing and/or super concerned with weight, there's no reason not to go disc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by willx45x
    First of all, do you guys think I've made a good decision. I've looked at a bunch of bikes, but we are fairly limited locally as far as dealers go (We have Giant, Jamis and a Fisher/Trek dealer locally). The Tass just seems like the most bike for the money and from what I've read it seems to be a solid platform that I can upgrade as time goes on. Do you guys agree? I'm a beginner (owned a Trek 6000-series ten years ago, but nothing since) and I want something that can grow with me, but I'm not ready (I don't think) to spend $1,000 on a HKEK or similar bike.

The only other dilemma I'm having is whether to get the disk brakes or not. I live in the SE, so we are sort of limited in our "gnarly" terrain. Do y'all think I need the disc brakes? I'm 5'11", 200 lbs.

Thanks guys!

w
    My 2nd bike was a Tass....Great bike loved it. I have a Sugar and a Rig now. If you want disc's you should look at the Pirahnna, just like the Tass, a little cheaper, slightly lower componentry, but has disc brakes. It also has deore shifters and rear derailer. Can't go wrong with either one of those bikes.

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    The Tass is disc compatible so you can upgrade to disc's later if you decide that you want them. I was about to buy a Tass and I test rode a Trek 6500 and prefered the fit of the Trek. No discs but I will eventually be putting BB7's on it. Good luck and have fun with whatever you buy.

Slicker
    Jun 2005
    Last year I bought the 05 Tass non-disk. Basically I wasn't sure if I'd stick with the sport so I didn't want to kick in the extra cash for the disk version. I live in SW Pa where the conditions range from muddy spring weather to hot dry conditions. The V-brakes on my Tass were fine for the XC type of riding I do in all conditions. Now in 06, due to mostly wanting to build on my bike I went out and bought disks. I purchased Avid BB7's for $130 for the set and $24 for Shimano XTR cables. The only thing I didn't like about doing the conversion is the boss's where the v-brakes connected to the front forks look dumb after removing the V's. That is purely cosmetic though. Since I like doing things myself rather than paying for it I enjoyed the conversion project and it really didn't cost much to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I really like my Tass, and I have v-brakes. It's a great bike either way. Good luck!