mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Install tubeless tire

Hi,

I got some Bontrager Race Disc TL rims, and XR Jones TLR tires.

It came with the blue rim strip, which I removed, and installed the black Bonty rim strip & valve... (I have the assymteric rim & strip). It sits nice and flush within the rim.... however, with it in there, it seems like it's impossible to mount the tire. I can get one bead in, but the second one has about 10 inches to go and i'm about to rip my hands off.... I tried soapy water and it didn't help.

Any ideas ? I hope i'm just doing something wrong, since if it's this tough, i can't see how i can use this system, since how do you get it off on the trail and swap to a tube if needed ?!?

thanks for any advice !!

ben

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Make sure you have the tire bead in the channel starting opposite the valve stem. I've installed 3 Bontrager tubeless ready tires and they all went on very easily. The first two tires had been used with tubes before running them tubeless, but the last one (a revolt super X TLR) was installed right out of the packaging. The other two tires were the XR's that came on my Fisher ProCaliber. See this link for more info:
    http://www.bontrager.com/assets/File...le795_1264.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I saw those instructions from bontrager and even tried to inflate to 60 psi and leave overnight.... still was impossible for me to install it the next day.

I finally took it in -- they worked on the tire for about 20 min in my bike shop... eventually using tire levers with good force did the trick. I'm new at this, so seeing the way they did it helped me, and when i got home did the rear tire in 5 min. This time, I went straight for the tire levers, carefully slipped it under the tire bead, and lifted with force, going slowly around the last 8 inches or so of overhang that i couldn't do with my hands).

I must of had some tough ones

Thanks for the info !!

ben

You got any chocolate?
    Yes, they go on supertight, but now you don't have to worry too much about the tires burping sealant out. I used soapy water and tire levers. Windex also helps to make them a bit slippery.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY