mtbr member
    Nov 2011

... and if we just ... Impressions from Trek Demo day Rumblefish, SF 100, Stache

I have been looking for a 29er to replace my Fuel. Reasons being is more speed and better over roots. I went to a demo day in Conyers, GA and rode the stache 8, Rumblefish Elite, and the Superfly 100 AL Elite. The course was held where the 1996 Olympic Cross Country mountain bike event was held. The course/section I rode was consisted alot of granite hill face and general singletrack in a tight woods. The Granite was not loose and there was a few step downs. Surprisingly you get pretty good traction with the 29-1 and 29-3 tires with tubes in them (i.e. not lower tire pressures as you would on tubless). I should say that I have been riding off and on since 1997 but have been at it steady for about 1.5 years now and plan to continue. In that time I have been only on FS bikes and only owned a HT when I was a teen.

First bike out: Stache 8
    This was my first ride to speak of on a HT and a 29er other than parking lot rides. This was a fun bike. Very confidence inspiring. The bike had a "quality feel" that left an impression on me. Not sure if it was the stiffness of the race face crank and what ever BB was on it but it just felt solid. I immidiatly was able to climb past a couple riders on FS bikes. I also made a fairly difficult climb up a rock face that would have given me trouble on my fuel. The 2x10 gearing was great. I was reminded it was an HT on a few spots. I do think the trails I rode were probably a touch harder/rougher than my usual spots I ride. With that being said tubeless and lower PSI would help alot. I just would not run a very low PSI at this place....you would damage a rim on the square faced granite. BTW the HT weight or lack of from a FS bike was noticed on the climbs. I did take this bike out twice because I missed a section of trail that I wanted to ride. I did not enjoy it much as it was my last go and I was really exhausted especially not having the comfort of a FS bike.

Second bike: Rumblefish Elite
    This was alot of bike! I could feel the bulk of the bike on the climbs. This bike really likes to decend or flats. This was my first time using a dropper post. I like it but for my local trails not sure if I would fork over the $ to get one. The XT gear is awesome!. The brakes dont feel any stronger than SLX to me. The XT shifters feel alot better with the metal finger levers. This is a very impressive bike. Very solid feeling. DCRV was noticable only after riding the Superfly 100. I have DCRV on my rear shock but leave my bike in the pro pedal mode. I rode this bike on the same trail as the stache but being the second time around I was better prepared for the obsticles. I was told the RF weighs about 1-2 lbs more than a Superfly 100 AL Elite.

Third bike: Superfly 100 AL Elite
    To be fair to this bike I had already rode 2 laps and was feeling it. This bike can really climb! This bike felt quicker through the tight woods than the RF. I was able to ride the tech sections with almost the confidence of the RF. I will note that I did some rock step downs that a few guys were having second thoughts on a more trail/all mountain bike than what I was on. The non DCRV shocks were noticable riding the bumps on the granite rock face. It was kind of between the Stache HT and the RF. There was a section of twisty banked corners that was fun on the RF and SF 100. The SF 100 is a pretty agile bike...very close to the stache. There was a swell / 4' deep dip in the trail you can do a small hop out of and the Stache did that the best.

Thoughts: I really wished I played with the CTD settings on all the bikes. The second time out on the stache the CTD was not working. I would have like to see how the CTD performed on the SF 100. At this point I dont have a clear winner for my next bike. I like the stache but I could tell my body needs conditioning for a HT. I also know my local trails are not as rough as the granite rock. I also wonder without conditioning how long could I ride a HT. The RF was a great bike but is probably more bike than I need. I say that because I need all I can get for climbs. The XT great is all that. The SF 100 was a great bike. I have suspisions the CTD on the fork may have not been working. I had a few ah hah moments with the bikes ability to climb and and general trail manners. I would have liked to verify/mess with the suspension settings more. The crank/BB did not have the quality feel of the Stache. I wish the SF 100 had the 12mm rear axel. I may go back up there to ride my EX 8 there for comparison in the coming weeks. I can appreciate what each of those bikes can do but still not sure what I want to buy. Also the frame was kind of a hassel getting a water bottle out of the RF and SF 100.

Last to be said the Trek demo team was working the butts off there and did a great job. I also got a $100 rebate from Trek.
    Last edited by stygz1; 02-25-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    If you buy the Superfly 100 AL PRO it comes with the 12mm rear axle. I ride it and it is great. As far as the CTD. It really makes a big difference with how the bike behaves. It is extremly fluid in the descend mode and very efficient in the trail mode.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I can see the SF pro being a good value. Not only do you get the 12mm axel but you get better wheels and Full XT gear.I also like the 2x10 I think you get crisper shifts with 2x10 and no worries about cross ringing. I was not really impressed with the shimano M552 crank on the superfly 100 I rode after the race face and XT on the other bikes I rode. I also see there is a better rear shock on the pro vs Elite. What is the difference? I wonder how much stiffer a 12mm axel is vs the drop out system Trek uses on the SF100 AL Elite? Should I concider the RF Elite as that is not quite as built as the Pro and also keeps me less than the $3k proce point?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    This is from the Fox site.

Factory, Performance, and Evolution | Bike | FOX

How they describe the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I can see the SF pro being a good value. Not only do you get the 12mm axel but you get better wheels and Full XT gear.I also like the 2x10 I think you get crisper shifts with 2x10 and no worries about cross ringing. I was not really impressed with the shimano M552 crank on the superfly 100 I rode after the race face and XT on the other bikes I rode. I also see there is a better rear shock on the pro vs Elite. What is the difference? I wonder how much stiffer a 12mm axel is vs the drop out system Trek uses on the SF100 AL Elite? Should I concider the RF Elite as that is not quite as built as the Pro and also keeps me less than the $3k proce point?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I looked at that link and it does not show the air shock only the coil version. What settings are on your rear shock besides CTD and rebound adjustment? I talked to my LBS today reguarding the demo I was on. As of now I have it narrowed down to the SF 100 AL Elite or Pro and the Stache 8.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I also talked to the LBS about converting the SF 100 Elite to 2x10. He said they can adjust the stock 3x10 F derailer and shifter to work with a 2x10 crank.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I looked at that link and it does not show the air shock only the coil version. What settings are on your rear shock besides CTD and rebound adjustment? I talked to my LBS today reguarding the demo I was on. As of now I have it narrowed down to the SF 100 AL Elite or Pro and the Stache 8.
    I am not sure that there is neccessarily anymore adjustments on the shock but it is the level above the Elite shock. It has the CTD and rebound adjustments but I think it is lighter than the shock on the Elite and I would assume the internals are upgraded.