mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I took home an 06 GF X-Cal Demo Bike Yesterday...

from the local bike shop. I must say, this is one sweet machine. I love the 29" wheels and the Genesis frame. I'm just getting back into MTBing after a 10-year hiatus and I'm in love with this bike. Anyone out there own an X-Cal or thinking about purchasing a Fisher 29er?

w

mtbr member

Decision GF X-Cal

I was looking at the gf HKEK or the x-cal. I hope to make a decision this week - leaning towards the x-cal. Any hit in the headers to make my decision?

My concern is over technical areas and maneauering the front wheel in these areas. Also, I have read it is harder to go uphill, why is this?

Does the x-cal take some time getting used to vs a 26?
    "Flat headed red rimmed socket-eyed stumpy legged B****"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by willx45x
    from the local bike shop. I must say, this is one sweet machine. I love the 29" wheels and the Genesis frame. I'm just getting back into MTBing after a 10-year hiatus and I'm in love with this bike. Anyone out there own an X-Cal or thinking about purchasing a Fisher 29er?

w
    What kind of terrain have you ridden it on so far? Pros and cons to the 29"?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i recieved my fisher paragon about a month ago and love it. my other mtbike is a cannondale f600. i have observed several things. 1. it descends like nothing else, super stable,smooth and very fast.you feel as though you can run down anything,on the brakes way less,just let roll. 2.gearing is different. because of the larger wheels the same tooth cog front and rear will be harder which at first makes you feel as though you are climbing slow until you look at your times which will be faster up hill. what i learned is to gear down 1 gear lower than normal and spin and you will get faster times. i have set my 3 best times ever on a benchmark climb with the 29er versus my cannondale. at first you will swear you are going slow but you are not. 3. it takes a little more force to push the bike around corners but when you get used to this little extra leaning force oooooh watch out because you will quickly be railing corners like never before,a total blast. 4. i would probably not recommend or small or petite riders, they may feel as though the bike and wheels are too big. i have to keep in mind that i am 6 foot 3 178lbs 5. rolls on flats extremely fast. it is amazing how much this bike smooths out the trails. i was watching someone else riding a section that i had just finished and watched them jarring up and down loosing pedaling effeciency and momentum all along the way while i had smoothly gone down that same section. it reminded me of riding this section on my cannondale versus what i am riding now. 6. the only negative i can say so far is that the bike does not feel as though i can toss it around under me as much and it feels slower accelerating. the important word here is "feels" because this is subjective and my times have been faster on the 29er on every ride i have done which have varied terrain. in conclusion, i am very happy with my fisher paragon purchase and would recommend it to anyone who wants a smoother ride without the complexity and loss of effeciency of a full susp bike. if you want a bike with a bmx feel dont buy this bike. if you want a bike that can do most anything funner,faster,and smoother in everyday riding then i would give it a try. these bike may not be for everyone but given a chance i believe they would be preferred by most everyone