Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I made the big decision...

I made the big decision......to get my fitness back, and become a mountain biker.

I'm 32 and I've let myself go, at least by my standards. I've been on this forum all month long and I've done lots of reading, lots of comparisons, and lots of need vs. want debating in my head. So I pulled the trigger and ordered the last 2011 Remedy 9 available in the warehouse. It was a slight chunk, but I cashed in some vacation and was able to get the model I wanted. I'll have it Monday or Tuesday. I'm glad to offically become part of the MTB scene, because the vibe I get all over this forum is that MTB'ers are my kind of people. I think part of the reason is because you understand the value in working hard to get what you want. You gotta climb the hill to get the reward of the downhill. I think that mentally spreads into other aspects of your life, and thats the kind of personality I like to surround myself with. Glad to be here!

Ryan

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_in_AZ View Post
    I made the big decision......to get my fitness back, and become a mountain biker.

I'm 32 and I've let myself go, at least by my standards. I've been on this forum all month long and I've done lots of reading, lots of comparisons, and lots of need vs. want debating in my head. So I pulled the trigger and ordered the last 2011 Remedy 9 available in the warehouse. It was a slight chunk, but I cashed in some vacation and was able to get the model I wanted. I'll have it Monday or Tuesday. I'm glad to offically become part of the MTB scene, because the vibe I get all over this forum is that MTB'ers are my kind of people. I think part of the reason is because you understand the value in working hard to get what you want. You gotta climb the hill to get the reward of the downhill. I think that mentally spreads into other aspects of your life, and thats the kind of personality I like to surround myself with. Glad to be here!

Ryan
    Awesome, congrats on making positive changes, you won't regret it. Pics when you get the new ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice bike! You are going to love it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pics? For sure!

XXIX
    The best part of using Mountain biking for weight loss and fitness is your having so much fun you dont realize your getting in shape. welcome to the addiction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Congratulation on your purchase, the fun starts when the road ends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This weekend is dragging so slow.

mtbr member
    You'll love that bike......I love mine! The only upgrade i would suggest is a dropper seat post. I got a ks950r. It really will make a big differance in comfort level being able to lower the seat so you can lower your center of gravity.OK maybe a couple of other little things too.The XR tires are not the best for desert riding(i live in vegas)nor are tubes.If you go tubless get a stans kit.The DT Swiss kits are $54 EACH wheel and I'm not really impressed with em.

Your seat post is 31.6 and pricepoint had good pricing....if your wondering

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    You'll love that bike......I love mine! The only upgrade i would suggest is a dropper seat post. I got a ks950r. It really will make a big differance in comfort level being able to lower the seat so you can lower your center of gravity.OK maybe a couple of other little things too.The XR tires are not the best for desert riding(i live in vegas)nor are tubes.If you go tubless get a stans kit.The DT Swiss kits are $54 EACH wheel and I'm not really impressed with em.

Your seat post is 31.6 and pricepoint had good pricing....if your wondering
    Thank you for the info. I was planning on the Stans and a dropper already based on what others have said. Since Vegas and Yuma are kind of similar terrain, do you have a tire recommendation?

mtbr member
    I recently put a schwalbe Hans Dampf in front and a nobby nic 2.25 in back. I only have 2 rides on em but i am really liken em so far

74 & 29 pilot
    Thank you for the info. I was planning on the Stans and a dropper already based on what others have said. Since Vegas and Yuma are kind of similar terrain, do you have a tire recommendation?
    Ryan, I've been running a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 front for a few years here in PHX. I recently went to a Maxxis High Roller 2.35 on the back from a Kenda Small Block 8 2.1. I like that set up a lot, and have no desire for anything better.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Ryan, I've been running a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 front for a few years here in PHX. I recently went to a Maxxis High Roller 2.35 on the back from a Kenda Small Block 8 2.1. I like that set up a lot, and have no desire for anything better.

MTBP
    I like Maxxis tires, I'll give those a try, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I took delivery today, went and put 10 miles on it. I haven't been on a bike in 15 years. I'm pretty sure after I get a new seat, I'm going to enjoy getting back in shape on this thing. It's so plush!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I made the big decision...-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

MTBP
    Yikes, I found my Ignitors to have a super thin sidewall... not sure I'd pick that tire for the sharp rocks of AZ! I guess if you've been running it for a few years that means it works for you though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Wooooo

Just emigrated from Scotland to Australia and hit and all time low missing family and mates so decided to cheer myself up by purchasing a 2011 Trek fuel EX 8 in matte sepia/green. Getting it this weekend....cannae wait! I got it for a reasonable price $2500 ozzy dollar which is around 1650 british pounds. In the past i've had a Giant boulder team hard tail and a GT Aggressor hard tail but this will be my first full suspension bike. Ive totally COMPLETELY blown my budget and was really close to going for the ex6 but I saw the ex8 and it was literally love at first sight so went for that instead. Thank god ive found a job to pay it off. I have researched bikes for the last 12 months I genuinely believe the ex 8 is the best I can afford. I've tried Giant trance's, anthems, Specialized's FSR's etc but it was always the trek that felt, looked and had better components. So, here's to future riding on my first full susser! Cheers!

Afric Pepperbird
    I took delivery today, went and put 10 miles on it. I haven't been on a bike in 15 years. I'm pretty sure after I get a new seat, I'm going to enjoy getting back in shape on this thing. It's so plush!
    Assuming the saddle causes pain, I wouldn't get a new saddle just yet. Since you "haven't been on a bike in 15 years", your butt will be very sore after the first couple of rides, no matter what you have on there. Your butt muscles/bones will gradually get in tune.

I'd rather be riding
    x2 to the above post. Do your wear shorts with a chamios when your ride? That'll make a big difference I used to run a squishy soft saddle and never got comfortable. I've got a bonty rxl saddle now and it's awesome, the inform fit saddles really seem to work for most.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Assuming the saddle causes pain, I wouldn't get a new saddle just yet. Since you "haven't been on a bike in 15 years", your butt will be very sore after the first couple of rides, no matter what you have on there. Your butt muscles/bones will gradually get in tune.
    I agree Ryan. Give it a chance, before you start spending tons of money on a new seat, and then another one, and another... That is the same saddle that came one my Fuel 9.7, and I didn't like it for the first 3-4 rides. At some point my azz molded to it and I actually started finding it comfortable, either that or I just stopped noticing it. Make sure your wearing a chamois. You can spend tons of money trying to find a seat that you like over many years, but none of them will every feel like your "lazy boy." It's a bike seat and we ride over TOUGH terrain.

MTBP

Love PF signature Dirt Farmer!!!
    MTBP

mtbr member
    The limiting factor on rides when i first got back on the bike was my butt! First couple weeks i had to wait least 3-4 days between rides so i could sit. I'll proly get a narrower seat but took me bout 250-300 miles to be sure it was the seat,not adjustment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. I couldn't sit on my stock seat today at all, so I tricked my butt by swapping a different seat for today. As my rear gets used to sitting on something other than the couch I know it will get easier. Got 8.1 more miles in today, and hopefully a few more before dark.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I agree Ryan. Give it a chance, before you start spending tons of money on a new seat, and then another one, and another... That is the same saddle that came one my Fuel 9.7, and I didn't like it for the first 3-4 rides. At some point my azz molded to it and I actually started finding it comfortable, either that or I just stopped noticing it. Make sure your wearing a chamois. You can spend tons of money trying to find a seat that you like over many years, but none of them will every feel like your "lazy boy." It's a bike seat and we ride over TOUGH terrain.

MTBP

Love PF signature Dirt Farmer!!!
    What did you weigh riding the Bonty? I'm 230 with full Camelback/gear and so my rear-to-seat P.S.I. is kinda high. Hopefully the weight will start to shed soon though and that will be less of an issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You may just need to have the seat adjusted. I had a friend
    who was having problems with his seat, and I did a fit on the
    bike for him. I ended up moving the seat forward about a 1/8"
    and it made all the difference in the world.

Best, John

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    You may just need to have the seat adjusted. I had a friend
    who was having problems with his seat, and I did a fit on the
    bike for him. I ended up moving the seat forward about a 1/8"
    and it made all the difference in the world.

Best, John
    I also agree with this ^^. Ryan I fluctuate between 190-195 lbs. With full Camelbak and riding gear on, I consider myself 210lbs for setting up my suspension.

Your sit bones will eventually get used to the pressure and you really won't notice it anymore.

MTBP
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i agree, i weighed 440 when i first started riding 3 months ago, using a regular seat, now 3 months and 64lbs less, seat is alot more comfortable....also with me, the 1st time i road, it took my several short biking sessions to get used to riding i would have to wait several days in between rides, now 2 hours in the saddle does not affect me the next day as far as comfort, now soreness of wrists and legs are another issue

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by clay7160 View Post
    i agree, i weighed 440 when i first started riding 3 months ago, using a regular seat, now 3 months and 64lbs less, seat is alot more comfortable....also with me, the 1st time i road, it took my several short biking sessions to get used to riding i would have to wait several days in between rides, now 2 hours in the saddle does not affect me the next day as far as comfort, now soreness of wrists and legs are another issue
    Just curious, which bike can support a 440 pound person?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast