Just hit it with speed

I love my 06 Rig but I hate how it sounds!

I got my Rig in the Beginning of June and I've taken it out between 2-3 days a week since then. When I first rode it the only sound the bike ever made was from the Reba Fork making its whooshing sound(sounds pretty cool). However after maybe the second or third ride I noticed that as I pedaled it started making a quick and repetitive clicking noise from the front chain ring. I took it to the shop I bought it from and before I even mentioned that I wanted that looked at they asked if my EBB was creaking at all. I told them it was in addition to the extra play I had in the brake levers(stretching).

After I got it on Friday(From the shop) the sound went away very briefly into my first ride(Sat) with it but again it started the creaking and clicking as I pedaled. I washed the bike when I got home and it sounded a little better when I pedaled. (May only be because I wasn't on it and pedaling hard) Today I took it out (Sunday) and the sound is even worse. It sounds like an out of tune geared bike with the front derailleur rubbing the chain which I find to be very weird since its obviously a SS.

Does anyone have any idea about this. The bike is still very very rideable my two issues however are since I hear sound that must mean there is friction somewhere and presumably not normal friction since the sound varies(increases decreases) and secondly it is damn annoying to be out riding with everything so quiet and peaceful and to hear my bike make this obnoxious sound. Any thoughts or comments?

mtbr member
    You might try pulling the BB apart and giving it a good cleaning and re-greasing. Make sure everything is tightened to spec. When my oldschool BMX bikes made clicks that went away briefly after a good washing (and always came back once the bikes were dry), 9 times out of 10 it was the BB. It could also be a pedal, or even the seat post (crazy as that may seem). I hate creaks and clicks!

Just hit it with speed
    I have heard of people messing up their EBB when taking it apart so I am a little hesitant to do it. Now to mention the fact I don't have the tools. I think there is a couple week waiting period at the bikeshop where I got my free tune-ups so I will contact them and see if they will clean or lube the EBB.

For the time being though its the equivalent of nails on a chalk board and I feel like I'm damaging something when it makes that sound!

Thanks for the advice!

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    While you're taking things apart, pull the BB out of the EBB and take a look at the threads. Mine were bone dry and the source of my popping/clicking nightmare . A little grease took care of it.
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

Just hit it with speed
    With nothing more than just a All-Purpose Topeak Bike tool I don't know if fooling around with my BB is the best idea? Is it do able? Do I need certain tools? How easy can I screw something up?

mtbr member
    I don't know much about the EBB stuff because I've never had a bike with that. Since the bike is new, I'd take it back to the shop and let those guys handle it. Just ask 'em to put some fresh grease down there (splines too!).

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001
    With nothing more than just a All-Purpose Topeak Bike tool I don't know if fooling around with my BB is the best idea? Is it do able? Do I need certain tools? How easy can I screw something up?
    I don't know exactly what the 06's look like (I have an 05) but most likely you would need a tool to remove the cranks and BB. If you have the right tools, it's easy, no worse than tighening a bolt or driving a screw . I wouldn't try with the wrong tools though. If you take it back to your shop, just tell them that you've heard of people having problems with the BB threads and ask them to take a look. It'll take them just a few minutes. It took me a long time to figure out my problem wasn't in the EBB, which seems like the obvious culprit. Hopefully you have the same problem, in which case it's easy to fix!
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]

Just hit it with speed
    Awesome guys I will definitely do that thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    hey bro i had the same clickin/creakin noise from my 05 marlin. every time i pedaled it sounded like the frame or crank was creakin and clickin. LBS lubed the crank hub but the noise was still there. finally i decided to lube the seatpost with WD40 and spray the inside of the seat post on the frame and wow the noise went away. no more creakin and clickin while pedalin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    First off, I see you are local. Take it to Howard or Dwayne at Newark Bike Line.

Here is what they will do:

1) Pull the cranks
    2) Pull the EBB
    3) Coat the EBB in anti-seize and re-install
    4) Wrap the BB threads in teflon
    5) Grease the teflon threads and re-install the EBB
    6) Re-install the cranks

All of the Rigs get this treatment and the noise goes away. You do need a crank puller, BB tool, an 8 MM allen wrench and a 5 MM allen wrench. It is not rocket science, but the tools can be pricy as can the anti-seize considering Bike Line will fix it as part of the service package.

Good Luck!
    Thanks to www.fortframes.com

Just hit it with speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort James
    First off, I see you are local. Take it to Howard or Dwayne at Newark Bike Line.

Here is what they will do:

1) Pull the cranks
    2) Pull the EBB
    3) Coat the EBB in anti-seize and re-install
    4) Wrap the BB threads in teflon
    5) Grease the teflon threads and re-install the EBB
    6) Re-install the cranks

All of the Rigs get this treatment and the noise goes away. You do need a crank puller, BB tool, an 8 MM allen wrench and a 5 MM allen wrench. It is not rocket science, but the tools can be pricy as can the anti-seize considering Bike Line will fix it as part of the service package.

Good Luck!
    Thanks dude for the specific post. How do I go about having one of those guys specifically do that to the bike? I did take it to them already for the 30 day service and I can only assume they didn't coat the EBB in anti-seize. Do bike mechanics take offense to you asking them to do certain work?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My bike was making the same type clicking noise. I took it back to my lbs, but it wouldn't click on the stand or riding around the parking lot. After the third trip back he said he would tear it down and check the bearings. That's when he found the problem. It turned out to be a loose pedal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

kahneyjd

I also have a 06 rig. The creaking drives me crazy. I found that I have to take the ECC and BB out and clean-n-lube every other ride or after every muddy ride. That does the trick though...keep it clean and lubricated that should take care of the noise.