Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    I got a Rumblefish Elite 3 weeks ago with DRCV front and rear. It took at least 10 rides to get the suspension dialed in. Tire pressure is also an important element of the process. On the forks a difference of 5 psi can mean diving or not in the corners. Also the fork seemed pretty sticky in the first 1/3 of the travel. I changed the fork oil at about 20 hours and found that it was short 35cc on the damper side. Refilled with the correct amount and it now works great!

mtbr member
    I appreciate the info, I'll make sure to check out the fluid level when I get it. This seems to be a theme with Fox, my Float 140RL was exactly the same way.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    It is surprising to see that people are having so many issues with the DRCV. I love how fluid my bike feels with the DRCV in the front and back (2012 Fuel EX8). I did however run about 5-10 psi less in the fork which made it feel better but the rear shock has always felt great!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    since my fuel ex 8 is my first full suspension bike, i set the fork and shock to the recommended settings and left it alone.
    got about 130miles on it now and finally started playing with both the fork and shock.
    i weigh about 192ish so with bike gear and water...210?? i dont know, never checked all geared up.

my current settings for pressure are:
    front 110psi
    rear 160psi

not sure where the clickers are but the bike feels great!
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    What do you think I could sell a 120mm DRCV fork off a rumblefish for? Kashima coat off a RF Pro. New.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burrows View Post
    What do you think I could sell a 120mm DRCV fork off a rumblefish for? Kashima coat off a RF Pro. New.
    Not sure what you could sell it for but it makes no sense to sell it. The Engineers at Trek wouldn't put this product out if it wasn't good.

I would refer to the suspension setup guide on the trek site and give it another ride, you might be surprised.

mtbr member
    I'm loving it on my Remedy, it just feels like the bike floats over most things. Took a couple of rides to dial in to ensure all travel being used but were there now. The sag adjusters included were a great help just to ake sure I had some good base settings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    For the physicists in the forum (all 2 of you . Is there any way to tune this shock? Could the pushrod be slightly shortened so that the second air chamber opens under higher pressure, or are the two chambers specifically sized in relation to each other? I like the DRCVl, but have the same issues as other posters on big hits (it always bottoms out). It seems that, not without some irony, the DRCV has succeeded in being so like a coil that it also has the coils primary weakness which is everyone needs a different coil depending on their weight etc. Am I right here?

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hungrytiger View Post
    It seems that, not without some irony, the DRCV has succeeded in being so like a coil that it also has the coils primary weakness which is everyone needs a different coil depending on their weight etc. Am I right here?
    Not quite: More or less air pressure effectively gives you any coil you need.

But both fork and shock are more linear than a regular air fork/shock. I ride a Rumblefish Pro, and the bike does use a lot of its travel indeed.

I'm about to travel to Wales to ride some trailcentres, so i'm about to find out what the bke is capable of :-) .

About tuning:

The Trek/Fox DRCV rear shock demonstrated from nsmb.com on Vimeo.

For the shock: a small spacer in the secondary air chamber, decrasing the size of that chamber, thus adding prgressivity might do the trick?

For the fork: normally, adding a bit of oil in the primary air chamber makes the fork more progressive. Don't think it'll work in the DRCV though.
    The oil will might find it's way to the secondary air chamber, making it smaller, but... i don't know if it'll sink deeper into the lower spring rod guide.

For both: what would increasing the high speed compression shims do?
    Last edited by de lars cuevas; 06-13-2012 at 12:34 PM.
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I had a Remedy 9.8 set as my next bike (to sort of replace my trusty 2009 Intense Tracer VPP), but after reading this thread I may as well just scratch this bike altogether - it's a shame because I always liked the previous Remedy generations.

Has anyone contacted Trek directly? This seems to be a serious issue, at least in my opinion.

MTB NEWB!!!
    Jun 2008
    I'm actually quite happy with the DRCV performance of my Fuel EX 8. Granted, I'm not a very experienced rider, but I am confident that I'd be unable to tell the difference between my fork/shock vs. something else "better". All in all I think it performs to it's intended purpose rather well.

Perhaps those unhappy are riding beyond the intended capibilities of the bike/fork/shock setup? Just a thought?

I guess for the sake of completeness, my EX 8 has had the fork fitted with the FiT RLC dampning cartridge which replaced the O/B RL cartridge. The rear shock has also been replaced with the RP3 from the Fuel EX 9.

mtbr member
    I love the drcv shock and fork to each there own, but don't get the 9.8 remedy because a few people on this forum don't like it or are having troubles setting it up. I have had none of these problems and can only speak good about trek and drcv shocks and forks............

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just to clarify my own position on this. I am not saying the DRCV is a bad shock, the Remedy is the most accomplished rear suspension design I have ever ridden (although whether that is due to the split pivot design or the shock itself, I couldn't say). The rear end tracks superbly well and theres absolutely no issues with general trail riding.

The largest drops I do are are 3-4 feet vertical distance (not pinkbike feet, real feet) and I have no desire to do anything larger. All I'm saying is that in these instances the shock blows through all the travel much easier than your regular RP2 (in most instances the sag ring is actually off the end of the piston). Try and tune this out with more air and it becomes extremely harsh very quickly. If you do bigger drops than this then I personally would steer away from the Remedy, if however you go 3-4 feet max once in a while then its difficult to beat. I'm keeping this bike for 2 or 3 years, so it works for me.I would however actively look into any option for tuning the shock to make it slightly more progressive towards the end of the travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mark747 View Post
    I have the DRCV fork on my Remedy 9.8 as well and have never really been able to ďtuneĒ it as well as I thought the shock should. I have the rebound a click or two slower than what Trek says it should be for my weight because that seemed to help. I feel that after all the messing around I have done that it is going to be as good as it is going to get. I have over 150 miles on it so it should be plenty broken in.

Initially I couldnít get it dialed in at all but then realized that you have make sure that you screw in the pump another ľ turn and your gauge on your pump will increase another 10 psi or so. Then cycle the shock through 60% of its travel to equal out the pressure just like on the rear. Iím not sure why I didnít figure that out seeing as how they are both DRCV.

Mark

When you cycle the shock/fork to fill the small DRCV chamber, are you removing the pump first, then cycle the shock to open the second chamber, and then repumping to correct PSI?

OR

Do you pump to correct PSI, then with the pump still attached cycle the shock, and then continue pumping again?

I know it sounds like a small difference but if i dont have to remove the pump between the 2 fills, then makes life bit easier.

My LBS demonstated by removing the pump in between

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just got back from a week in breck, crested butte, steamboat, and winter park. My 2011 remedy, with 2012 drcv fork, did it all. I tuned it a little lss than trek recommended psi, and it was amazing.

Rainmaker, the drops on no quarter, trestle dh run, this bike is way more capable than I would have thought.

Wasn't sure i'd like the linear feel of DRCV, but man i fell in love with it at winter park.

175lbs rider with gear, 175psi in the rear shock, 75 psi in fork.

mtbr member
    So I had to send in my DRCV rear shock and front fork for the second time both for the same issues.

In February they had replaced the stanchion/crown/steer tube on the fork because of a creaking noise that it developed after about 150 miles. The rear shock was replaced after the first weekend that I had the bike - It would leek air out over night. And about three weeks ago after a little over 500 miles the rear shock blew out at the end of a ride and the creaking sound had come back in the fork.

According to my LBS they just replaced the fork with a new one Ė hopefully without DRCV because I had said I would pay for an upgrade.

Iím still waiting on the rear shock. The first time it went out they just sent me a brand new replacement this time the guy at my LBS said that the Fox warranty guy told him that they finally had found a fix for the issue and that mine was fixed and on the way. I think somebody dropped the ball because it still hasnít gotten here and it has been a week since they said it was shipped.

I know they shop deals with Fox over the warranty for their products but I wonder if they can get Trek involved. These are issues that I have had with a brand new bike from day one. Iím wondering if Fox just looks at it as a guy having a problem with a $300 shock or an $800 fork so it's not hat big an issue to them?. Trek should step up and say here is a customer that is having issues with a $5,000 bike that has faulty components.

Itís too bad Trek and Fox donít monitor these forums and give some input.

Iíve had to cancel a trip to Sun Valley tomorrow for a week of ridingÖ so now I am done with my rant.

Mark

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    2013: Trek will offer two differet "easy drop in" spacers for the DRCV forks, to change the spring rate from linear to more progressive...

Nice, should you need it
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by de lars cuevas View Post
    2013: Trek will offer two differet "easy drop in" spacers for the DRCV forks, to change the spring rate from linear to more progressive...

Nice, should you need it
    Will the spacers work on 2012 model DRCV forks?

I also read somewhere spacers will be available for DRCV shocks? will this be retrospective?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ant View Post
    Will the spacers work on 2012 model DRCV forks?

I also read somewhere spacers will be available for DRCV shocks? will this be retrospective?
    I don't know for certain, but I'd be shocked if 2012 DRCV forks couldn't accept the spacers. Fox forks internals don't change drastically year to year, and they aren't rocket science to take apart and tinker with.

mtbr member
    Trek now offers spacer kits to fine tune the spring curve of its proprietary, Fox-made DRCV (Dual Rate Control Valve) forks. Two optionsó5cc and 10ccóreduce the air spring to provide a more progressive curve. The kits work with 120mm, 130mm and 150mm Fox 32 forks for 26-inch and 29er wheels.

2013 Trek Mountain Bikes | Bicycling Magazine

Maybe these will help with some of the complaints.

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate View Post
    Maybe these will help with some of the complaints.
    No complaints by me yet, first impression is that it does use a lot of travel, literally all of it's travel on big hits. But that's what it's there for, right?

I didn't get the impressiopn that it's too divy yet.

btw: 75kg with gear, about 80 PSI on a Rumblefish Pro
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This looks like a pretty simple solution to making the fork more progressive. Better anyway than people sawing up the piston rod on their Fox Floats to get full travel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How are you finding DRCV-web_drcv.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So it soiunds you should go 10-15 PSI less than what Trek is saying for the Fork?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I know how Mark 747 feels. My LBS went through my 2012 Remedy 8 two times chasing a creak. Thought it was the frame, turns out it was the fork. Waiting for it to be returned. I too have have had the same problems/results with tuning the suspension. Hopefully the spacers will work in the 2012 160 MM forks as well.

mtbr member
    I'm curious about why Trek doesn't equip Slash's with DRCV forks?
    Any particular reason behind?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast