mtbr member
    Mar 2017

How old is your Trek? and what age do you feel the need to put it out to pasture

Just curious. I see all the posts here and they mostly seem to be about 2017 models with a few 2016 thown in.

So how old is your Trek?

I am trying to keep alive my 2003 Liquid 20. The rear shock is still working and keeping pressure. The front RockShock Psylo are just about shot. I have just ripped off the front derailleur and replaced the crank set with a RaceFace 36t. Will see how it performs. Might even splurge to convert the wheels to tubeless.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I have a 2014 Trek Fuel EX 9 29er.

I agree. Even though i have a current bike, it already seems hard to find any information or details on what to do with my bike, and it's only a few years old.

mtbr member
    I don't own a bike that's over 2 years old personally
    I seem to switch out every 1-1.5 years
    I have a 2016 Trek Procal 9,9 SL, 2017 Niner RKT 9 RDO, 2017 Trek Stache 9.6 and a 2017 Vassago Mooseknuckle SS
    Wife has a Left over 2016 Salsa Mukluk.
    Son has a 2017 Trek Superfly 26" and a 2013 Ibis Mojo SL.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Perhaps it's just that I am keeping my stuff too long, or cringe on that sudden depreciation. When I looked online and it says that my $2500 bike is now worth $250, and I am knowing that I'd be lucky in my area to even get 1/2 that amount, I just figured it's just better to keep it unit it finally does break beyond repair.

So I'd ask, what do you do with your old bikes every couple of years if you keep updating them?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sell them at loss. Bikes are not investments.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill401 View Post
    Perhaps it's just that I am keeping my stuff too long, or cringe on that sudden depreciation. When I looked online and it says that my $2500 bike is now worth $250, and I am knowing that I'd be lucky in my area to even get 1/2 that amount, I just figured it's just better to keep it unit it finally does break beyond repair.

So I'd ask, what do you do with your old bikes every couple of years if you keep updating them?
    I sell them for now. WHen my kid is tall enough they will go to him. not for a while though.

Some I loose a good deal on them others i have made off them. or broke even but was able to switch parts around that in the end helped me more.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobie View Post
    Sell them at loss. Bikes are not investments.
    what he said
    Too Many .

mtbr member

How old is your Trek? and what age do you feel the need to put it out to pasture

Was told 5 years max if you can do it. Then for my area needs a major overhaul...
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 X-Caliber which I intend to use until the frame breaks if it ever does. I bought it November 7 2011, sooo it will be 6 years old this November.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I got the raceface 36t installed and the Bontrager Race, 22/32/44t hauled off far away so I never have to deal with that dreaded combo again. With the left shifter gone and the LX front derailleur in the garbage too, this bike seems actually ridable again.

Took it out for a spin today. Did my killer Lions Valley Park loop for the first time this year. Love the twisty trail, hate the monster hill in the middle out of the valley to the trail bit along the ridge. But for the first time ever, i didn't have any gear problems or couldn't find the right one to make it up. Now, it would have been far easier if I didn't have this extra 60lbs around my gut, but that is why I fixed the bike. To cycle it all off.

mtbr member
    My 2011 Fuel EX 8 is still going strong and keeping me happy up and down the state of CA.How old is your Trek?  and what age do you feel the need to put it out to pasture-20170228_153202.jpg
    Last edited by NuckingFuts; 03-29-2017 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I doubt it's related to age of the bike as much as it's due to Trek changing designs. It seems like every year they are changing geo or introducing new tech like Re:aktiv.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    I doubt it's related to age of the bike as much as it's due to Trek changing designs. It seems like every year they are changing geo or introducing new tech like Re:aktiv.
    Valid point there.

I mean look at the Fuel.
    2015 Different fuel. 2016 changed fuel, 2017 changed again
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    I have 2014 Superfly SS, so not very old. As for when to retire it: when it is broken? I don't see a point in retiring it unless something major has happened to it.

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    ...2015 Different fuel. 2016 changed fuel, 2017 changed again
    Yeah, but the '15 is still the great bike it was. The new bikes haven't changed that.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Yeah, but the '15 is still the great bike it was. The new bikes haven't changed that.
    didn't mean nothing was wrong with it.
    Was just stating that one model of bikes was changed 3 times in 3 years
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    I ride a 2015 Trek Stache 8. It still rides great. If it ain't broke...don't fix it!
    2015 Trek Stache 8

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

I have a 2010 Remedy 7 I bought new. Hard to believe it's going on 8 years old now! Already had warranty replace a cracked EVO link and I have been wondering how long before the frame fails (if it does). If it failed today I think very few parts would be compatible with current year frames (if that's what they replace it with), maybe just the brakes and cockpit parts.

When I bought it for $2600 I took the lifetime warranty literally and I have no plans to replace the bike as long as it works. However, as time goes on I wonder if it's even possible for an aluminum frame to last a "lifetime" due to fatigue life etc. I am curious to see how it holds up - I hope it does, because paying $3k for a bike is not something I think I can stomach again

mtbr member
    I ride a 2011 Rumblefish. Almost 8,000 miles on it and still going strong. I did replace the brakes and rear wheel this spring. Would love a new Fuel Ex 8, but Uncle Sam cleaned out my bike fund for a while..........till then rollin' on the Rumblefish.
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    My first trek was a 2003 4100 that I rode till it about fell apart, just recently purchased a marlin 5 because, unfortunately that's what fit in my budget, will be upgrading most contact points and already have clippless pedals

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.gimlin View Post
    My first trek was a 2003 4100 that I rode till it about fell apart, just recently purchased a marlin 5 because, unfortunately that's what fit in my budget, will be upgrading most contact points and already have clippless pedals
    Not mine (Google images)

mtbr member
    2010 Rumblefish, still a Trek even if it says Gary Fisher on it! Love it, still rides well, plan to rock it until it says no more.

How old is your Trek?  and what age do you feel the need to put it out to pasture-13767237_1469284166422467_8966301201381263011_o.jpg
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Nat
    mtbr member
    I have a 2015 Trek. I still like it a lot but I'll admit my eyes have been wandering lately.

If you want to recoup as much money as possible, the trick is to sell your bike quickly while people still want that model (i.e., within a couple of years max). If you love the bike you have though, keep it without thoughts of selling it ever. They all lose value quickly and if/when you do get around to selling it don't be surprised at how little it will fetch.

mtbr member
    I am riding a 2010 Top Fuel 9.9 SSL and there is no reason to retire it, except I want to run a dropper seat post and I cannot on this bike. I would like to have 27.5" wheels but they are not the reason to upgrade.

I recently sold a 2003 Ventana El Saltamontes that was a great bike, and I could run a dropper on it. It was just a tank so I sold it.

That being said, I demo'ed a 2017 Top Fuel 9.8 SL this weekend and plan to buy it, and throw a dropper on it.

mtbr member
    2009 EX7 here

How old is your Trek?  and what age do you feel the need to put it out to pasture-17309598_10155194660924851_7122543031707571654_n_zpsudhty3wm.jpg

Still going strong, no plans to change it in the foreseeable future

Mind you i still use my 1994 Diamond Back AxisTT as well

I don't buy into this new bike thing.

If i ride with someone that's fitter than me they beat me on the climbs, no matter what they ride
    If i ride with someone that's braver than me on the downhills they they kick my ass no matter what they ride

Sure if you jump on the 2017 EX you can tell it feels different, it's a subtle difference and for me it doesn't make a ride any more enjoyable

Mind you, i ride MTB's cause i enjoy it.
    I don't race, i've got zero interest in comparing Strava times, it's rare i even take pics, that pic was the first pic i've taken of the bike in years.

I ride for me, so for that even my 2009 is more than fit for purpose
    Last edited by cbr6fs; 05-19-2017 at 11:26 PM.
    1994 Fully Rigid Diamond Back Axis TT
    2009 Trek Fuel Ex 7

mtbr member
    I ride a 2015 Trek Slash 8. Im actually on the verge of installing a Boost spaced' Rockshox LyriK, and then putting a set of i9 Enduro 305's on it to lighten it up a smidge more, and make it bad ass.

I tend to keep a bike for a LONG time. They're expensive. To hell with replacing them every year or 2 "because the industry tells me to". I don't care.

I tend to buy a bike.. and then mod the F' out of it to make it into exactly what I want.
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Unless it breaks or you just want something new, I say just ride your bike. Try not to get wrapped up in the new bike hype.

IH, HYHT.
    My wife is still riding my 2001 Trek 8500. I'm with NRP, ride them until you want something new, can't fix what you have or it breaks. I plan on riding my 2013 Fargo until it breaks or I do. If it breaks I'm either going to buy the same frame or have it made by a custom shop. If I break, I'll either heal or I won't. That hasn't changed in 50 years.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    2011 Fuel ex8 here. Unless the frame fails sometime this year I will hit 6000 miles this summer. The only component that is OEM is the frame, I see no reason to get rid of it when I can simple upgrade parts to tailor it to my riding style.

How old is your Trek?  and what age do you feel the need to put it out to pasture-img_0850.jpg

How old is your Trek?  and what age do you feel the need to put it out to pasture-img_0838.jpg

Pinehurst NC
    I usually keep mine 2 years max, however, my wife still rocks her 2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcar964 View Post
    I have a 2010 Remedy 7 I bought new. Hard to believe it's going on 8 years old now! Already had warranty replace a cracked EVO link and I have been wondering how long before the frame fails (if it does). If it failed today I think very few parts would be compatible with current year frames (if that's what they replace it with), maybe just the brakes and cockpit parts.

When I bought it for $2600 I took the lifetime warranty literally and I have no plans to replace the bike as long as it works. However, as time goes on I wonder if it's even possible for an aluminum frame to last a "lifetime" due to fatigue life etc. I am curious to see how it holds up - I hope it does, because paying $3k for a bike is not something I think I can stomach again
    What would Trek do if you had a legitimate warranty issue with your remedy 26 frame? 26ers are no longer in production so what would they replace it with? 27.5 frame and tell you to buy wheels and a fork? I haven't thought of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 99mikegt View Post
    What would Trek do if you had a legitimate warranty issue with your remedy 26 frame? 26ers are no longer in production so what would they replace it with? 27.5 frame and tell you to buy wheels and a fork? I haven't thought of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's the big question. To me, when you spend almost $3000 on a bicycle with a "lifetime warranty," the implication is that you're investing in a bicycle to use for a very long time. If the manufacturers continually change standards arbitrarily - essentially making new bikes incompatible with parts made just a few years earlier - then in my opinion a warranty issue should make the customer whole - i.e., I paid all that money for a bike, not for a frame. If my frame breaks I want a replacement for MY frame which they should have in stock - just as car manufacturers carry parts for older cars.

Otherwise - Giving the warranty customer a DIFFERENT frame which then requires literally $2000 of parts to make into a rideable bike, in my opinion is not acceptable. This is especially the case since they rely so heavily on the perceived longevity of their product during the sale. It was their main selling point as I recall.

If they don't have any like frames for warranty issues on older bikes, then whatever they replace it with should be comparable - and whatever parts aren't compatible should be provided by Trek. I didn't buy a lifetime warranty so I can spend another $2000 on components if the frame breaks. I take care of my stuff and expect it to last.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    My experience with other companies on this (not so much with Trek, since they rarely fail ) is that they will also provide the other parts to make it rideable again. Not to the full extent of a new wheel size though. But had some customers that received new hubs when a frame changed from QR to TA for example.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just upgraded my wheelset of my 2013 Rumblefish to Stans Flow MKS. So, I'm pretty satisfied. Think I'll be hanging on for another couple of years. Christ we have an expensive hobby.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

15 years is about right

How old is your Trek?  and what age do you feel the need to put it out to pasture-2002fuel98.jpg

Had ridden my 2002 Fuel 98 up until a couple months ago when the frame broke at the seat tube - top tube joint. So 16 years might have been a year to long to keep it. At least the warranty is covering part of the Fuel EX I have on order.