Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How much does your Marlin, Mamba, Cobia, X Calibur, Paragon weigh?

65K views 99 replies 52 participants last post by  lamar83 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased a 2012 Trek Marlin, and I'm under the impression that the other bikes in this "29er Sport" (Wahoo, Marlin, Mamba) and 29er Race (Cobia, X Calibur, Paragon) series are exactly the same frame, with upgraded Fork, drivetrain/brakes, wheels, etc. based on their respective MSRP.

What I want to know is how much does your bike weigh?
What model and size frame?
What parts did you upgrade to achieve this weight?
Any recommendations on upgrade path?

Thanks for all your input, I'm excited to upgrade as my skillset improves, and eventually end up with a kick-ass aluminum hard-tail :)

#77 ·
2012 trek marlin 17.5 single speed

-FSA xc 180 bars
-Origin 8 pro UNO saddle
-ODI rogue grips
-Dirty dog reaper stem (Heavy!)
-Avid Elixir 1 taperbore brakes (oem off 2013 Carve $35 on eBay)
28.1 lbs.
*just ordered*
-Raceface Next SL carbon bars
-WTB Lasdisc trail wheelset
-Kenda negeval 29x2.35 tires
I'm also looking for a fork probably x-fusion slide or Reba.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

#80 ·
Cool -- good to know.

FWIW Trek told me the Superfly AL "platinum"-series frame was about a half-pound lighter.

At any rate, this just goes to show that the frame is not a major contributor to overall weight. I rode a Superfly SL Pro at a Trek demo. It felt insanely light. The rep said the frame was 8-hundred-something grams. But I'll bet the bulk of the weight savings was in the wheels and other components.

#82 ·
Got my 19" Mamba to 27.8lbs. Pictured hung with a strap that weighs 2oz.

120mm Tower Pro fork, 180mm front rotor w/XT brakes, Truvativ cockpit- T30 stem, 700mm bars, and seatpost. XO casette, Sun Ringle wheels, 2.25 Nobby Nic, 2.2 Ardent, SLX cranks, SLX mid cage RD, setup 2x9 with a BBG bash guard. This thing flies downhill with a HTA around 68.6 degrees. May try an angled headset later.

#83 ·
Anyone know what the factory 2013 19" Mamba is? I started the build up
XT cranks 2-10 40/28
XT chain
XT front mech
XT rear mech
XT cassett 1-10 11/36
XT pedals (inbound)
XT 2-10 shifters
Thomson post
Thomson clamp
Thomson carbon flat xc bar (inbound)
Thomson x4 stem 100mm 10deg rise
Selli Gl Flow Carbon Seat
WTB Clamp Grips
Manitou Tower Pro (Inbound)
Hope pro evo 2 hubs (inbound)
Hope skewers (inbound)
spokes DT Swiss w/brass niples (inbound)
WTS I23 Frequency wheels (inbound) W/stans valves and tape
Conti X Kings 2.2 Protect Black Chili

I'm hoping I can get this below 28.5.
I been using a spread sheet to keep track of the weights as part came off and on. I forgot to weigh the bike prior to starting. I wasn't going to worry but once I started weighing things it was cool and now is a addition. I have been riding for 20 years and have never weighed parts but ts fun to do.....

My old Stumpy, Shock is wasted that's how I ended up with the Mamba.

#85 · (Edited)
Well Just installed the
Tower Pro
2238g RockShox XC32 w/coil spring
1718g Tower Pro after I cut the steer tube & installed lower race
That's 1.14 lbs

Thomson Carbon Bars are just plain awesome.

Wheels should be in today. When replacing the fork found the headset seal was torn from incorrect install or adjustment. When I test rode it the HS was popping as if out of adjustment, They rolled it in and re-adjusted it but I think the seal was broke at that point. I'm thinking, a hope or king HS in in the future.

Wheelset installed.
Published weight 31.0
Actual after upgrades w/pump & cyclometer 26.2
I have a Hope HS, Skewers, and XT pedals still inbound
Never owned a set of hopes always ran XT hubs, wow I like the noise as well. In TX we have a lot of Hike/Bike trails and it will let em know I'm coming!

#86 ·
I ended up installing 785 XT disc brakes Set w/Ice Tech Rotors, King Inset 1 headset.

25.7 lb the bike is really great climbs and descends awesome.

https://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z408/JBIArmory/2013-06-01_22-01-44_397_zpsfaa486fd.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]https://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z408/JBIArmory/2013-06-01_22-01-52_370_zpsacbd1457.jpg

#87 ·
Last I weighed my Marlin it was 28-29 lbs. That was before new wheels or conversion to 2x10. Guessing around 27.5 now without accessories installed.

Origin 8 bars and stem
RS 32tk g2 forks
BB7 brakes
Deore hollowtech crankset
Odi grips
Avid brake levers
Slx 2x10 fd,rd and '13 slx 2/3x10 shifters
Ashimu Airotors 180mm
Alex dp20 XC wheelset with Slx hubs
Kenda karma tires.
Raceface chainrings.
Jagwire cables/housings

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

#89 ·
My 2013 Wahoo.. Size large 19..
Built with Fox f29 100mm
M970 XTR cranks
M970 XTR front mech (fitted after pic was taken)
XO rear mech
XTR 970 11-34 cassette
XO shifters
XTR chain
Hope mono mini brakes with floating 180-160 rotors and braided hoses
Hope pro2 evo SP on crest rims
Bontrager 29-3 front tyre, Rocket Ron rear, tubeless
Superstar headset
Salsa seatclamp
USE Sumo carbon seatpost
Answer protaper AM carbon bars
FSA OS 190 carbon faceplate 90mm stem
ODI Yeti lock on grips
SDG Belair ti saddle
Time Atac carbon pedals

It rides lovely and weighs 24.3 lbs with pedals..

#90 ·
First upgrade on 2013 Mamba?

Along the lines of this thread, I just got a 2013 Trek Mamba. I eventually wanna upgrade the fork to handle bigger drops/jumps and soak up bumpy terrain at speed. Any recommendations? ..I need to buy a fork that has been specifically designed for G2 geometry right? E.g. upgrade to the same fork that is used on the X-Cal? Or are there better options for more or less money? ...or would tubeless tires/rims be a better first investment? I'm currently allllll stock except for pedals...

#91 ·
Think we are hosed

Along the lines of this thread, I just got a 2013 Trek Mamba. I eventually wanna upgrade the fork to handle bigger drops/jumps and soak up bumpy terrain at speed. Any recommendations? ..I need to buy a fork that has been specifically designed for G2 geometry right? E.g. upgrade to the same fork that is used on the X-Cal? Or are there better options for more or less money? ...or would tubeless tires/rims be a better first investment? I'm currently allllll stock except for pedals...
The truth is, I've only been able to find The rock Shox Revelation as a possible fit on the bike. The issue that we are going to have those of us who own a trek mamba Cobia x-cal or wahoo is that all of those frames have the exact same geometry So, finding a solution for that is going to be difficult when you try to replace the front fork. Remember, we bought cross country bikes that are not designed or built for all mountain or other trail riding. So, if we start adding all mountain or trail components onto our bike we may in-depth getting better performance that were looking for but it's certainly not going to be ideal unless we go all out and replace our cross country bikes for an all mountain ride, just my $ 0.02

#94 ·
Good pic. I didn't like the white paintjob at first, but it grows on you.

Did you replace the fork? My stanchions are white too. Different grips too?

They aren't the lightest bikes around. Mine was 26.6 with pedals and computer, after I removed the reflectors and shortened the handlebars and seatpost. I went 2x10 with RaceFace rings and replaced that massive cassette with an XT, so am close to 25 now. Went tubeless also. But you're right, the way it handles makes it feel a lot lighter than it is. Very little flex.

#96 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel rim
swapped out my fork for a rigid Salsa one ad added a longer stem and Maid bars for a trip coming up. As it sits here with a full seat bag it was a little over 26lbs. My wheelset and tires are a place I could save a lot of weight but they've been solid and reliable when I'm far from any services. Rigid fork and Maid bars definitely gave the bike a much more comfortable riding position.

I'll be swapping the heavy Bronson's for some 700x35 tires for the route. Trying to keep the bike plus all my gear loaded up to as close to 35lbs as I can.

#99 ·
The fork is one of the best investments for the ride and weight savings. I dropped 1 1/2 pounds by just replacing the fork. I put a fox float on my 12 cobia. Got lucky because it had the G2 offset. I believe the manitou has the closest offset to G2.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.