Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by clinklion View Post
    My frame in L size have 1700gramm weight. And weight of my wheelset is 1570gramm.
    ya so i looked it all up my frames is smaller but pro weighs the same, my seatpost,seat,bars, and stem are all lighter then yours or closer to the same,my brakes are XO so the same and i have 180 rotors front and back, my wheelset is +300gms and fork +200gms my new pedals are 225gms

so maybe the weight is drivetrain and headset was ur new headset alot lighter?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by clinklion View Post
    My frame in L size have 1700gramm weight. And weight of my wheelset is 1570gramm.
    Size L, is that 19" or 21"?

That is light! And mine's 17.5". I am not regretting not springing for carbon anymore

Does anyone have an idea what a Superfly carbon hardtail frame would weigh? What about the new SL?
    Last edited by DennisF; 09-19-2012 at 01:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Size L, is that 19" or 21"?

That is light! And mine's 17.5". I am not regretting springing for carbon anymore

Does anyone have an idea what a Superfly carbon hardtail frame would weigh? What about the new SL?
    17.5 carbon frames come in around 1100gms-1300gms theres a chinese 17.5 carbon that weighs 1256gms some are even lower

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    2012 19" X-Caliber
    stock with wellgo m3 pedals
    Weight: 28lbs even

Stans ZTR Arch Ex wheelset
    Maxxis Icon 29x2.2
    Elite Sior Race Water Bottle Cage
    Crank Bros Eggbeater 1's
    Stock bars cut down 20mm

Final weight: 25.79lbs

Contemplating going w/ an MRP 1x chain guide. Dropped almost 0.75lbs on my last bike doing this and never need the big ring or granny ring in my area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    '12 Trek Wahoo 17.5 (Same frame as mamba/marlin/cobia/xcal)

27.8 lbs

Crankbrothers cobalt 3 flat bar
    Thomson Elite X4 stem
    Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 Tires
    Mavic TN317 Rims
    XT Hubs
    XT Crankset and BB
    Avid BB5 brakes
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    Serfas Stinger saddle
    HG50 Cassette
    Alivio Rear Derailleur
    RS Recon silver tk solo air (none g2)
    VP flats
    Took off front derailleur/shifter and converted to 1x9

....the stock suntour fork and cranks are scarily heavy

Last edited by wynnbb; 10-10-2012 at 09:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Almost done my build just did... x9 shifters, x9 rear derailer, x9 2x10 front derailer, and x9 2x10 crankset .. I've now upgraded everything even cable clips ...all thats left is ashima airotors (blue or white,will save 70gms), next summer eggbeaters and tubless ..
    heres my list:
    Frequency I23s, blue nips, on Hope Pro 2 evos blue, blue valve stem cap
    TI QRs
    SL-K carbon strait bar
    Controltech carbon stem (80mm)
    My base spacer is top of BigMonster headset (the rest wouldnt fit),Brev spacers, KCNC cap
    XO brakes
    X9 2x10 shifters (blue cables)
    Blue cable clips
    Emir Rubar super light seat (awsome)
    USE cyclops seat post (one of the lightest)
    Controltech carbon seatpost clamp
    X9 2x10 front derailer
    X9 2x10 crankset
    X9 rear derailer
    KCNC blue jocky wheels (not in picture)
    Sram PC1091R chain
    Shimano M525 pedals
    in the mail blue chainring bolts (not sure if they will fit 2x10 crankset?) blue waterbottle bolts
    Weight = 25lbs
    this was alot of fun now I think ill have some fun on it till I upgrade to carbon frame at the end of winter unless the world ends haha then ill go out happy knowing I finished this thing at least haha

Back to work!
    -------------------------------------------
    www.facebook.com/canadianpartygirlsfanpage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much does your Marlin, Mamba, Cobia, X Calibur, Paragon weigh?-dsc02346.jpg  

How much does your Marlin, Mamba, Cobia, X Calibur, Paragon weigh?-dsc02348.jpg  

How much does your Marlin, Mamba, Cobia, X Calibur, Paragon weigh?-dsc02341.jpg  

How much does your Marlin, Mamba, Cobia, X Calibur, Paragon weigh?-dsc02344.jpg  

How much does your Marlin, Mamba, Cobia, X Calibur, Paragon weigh?-dsc02351.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm so glad I found this thread. Inspires me that a lot of people are dumping money onto these frames. I have a 2012 Trek Mamba and was contemplating if I should just save up my money and upgrade in the near future to a more XC racebike HT or ST but after hearing all this, I am changing my mind. I would love to shed some weight and it will make the wife happy that I kept the bike since she bought it for me as a anniversary gift. Yea, I know in the long run it will probably be more cost efficient to save up and just buy a new bike but I would rather have a bike that is unique and built by me with all the parts I want on it. Just ordered some stuff and waiting for everything to fall in place.

Is it possible to also put some pricing on how much you spent on upgrades? Just curious...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ncruz408 View Post
    I'm so glad I found this thread. Inspires me that a lot of people are dumping money onto these frames. I have a 2012 Trek Mamba and was contemplating if I should just save up my money and upgrade in the near future to a more XC racebike HT or ST but after hearing all this, I am changing my mind. I would love to shed some weight and it will make the wife happy that I kept the bike since she bought it for me as a anniversary gift. Yea, I know in the long run it will probably be more cost efficient to save up and just buy a new bike but I would rather have a bike that is unique and built by me with all the parts I want on it. Just ordered some stuff and waiting for everything to fall in place.

Is it possible to also put some pricing on how much you spent on upgrades? Just curious...
    Upgrading is a good choice, especially since your bike carries such sentimental value. The very idea that you "built" your own bike also makes a huge difference compared to buying something off shelf. =)

My bike was only $500. I spent ~$1600 on upgraded parts, not counting the tools. It's probably a couple hundred dollars cheaper to just buy a better equiped bike, but this is a very unique experience for me and I think it is well worth it.
    Last edited by wynnbb; 10-11-2012 at 11:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

In Canadian dollars, I've spent $700 on the 2012 Marlin, and about $1000 for all the 2012/13 Shimano XT component group. In this case, I "feel" that this upgrade process was more cost effective than saving and "buying a better bike". I don't think you can find a big-box HT 29'er with a full XT group for under $2000. Sure those already-packaged XT bikes have better forks and wheels, but most people upgrade those as well right away.

The process of stripping my bike down to the frame, and re-building it with the new group was also great fun, and informative for me on how these bikes work. Which will save my $$$ from having to take it to the shop for minor adjustments/repairs from now on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnbb View Post
    Upgrading is a good choice, especially since your bike carries such sentimental value. The very idea that you "built" your own bike also makes a huge difference compared to buying something off shelf. =)

My bike was only $500. I spent ~$1600 on upgraded parts, not counting the tools. It's probably a couple hundred dollars cheaper to just buy a better bike, but this is a very unique experience for me and I think it is well worth it.
    I agree it is fun but not cost effective .. i got this off the lbs owners son barley used at just above half price so it was worth it especialy getting most stuff at chain reaction cycles . com they have awesome deals and free super fast delivery over $100 spent... it was alot of fun! and i feel good having completed it and ya looks sick but even though i could have gone with a few lighter things these frames are real heavy!! for the money i spent between 1700-2500 (would have to really look through all the reciepts) i should have a lighter bike.. i will be looking for carbon superfly frame same year and colour sceme so it will end up working out in the end .. the other thing that is good sticking with trek is the G2 geo. so much better with a longer bike

If ur not married to ur bike i would sell it and for example theres a specialized for $1900 that weighs 24-26lbs to start think its the stump jumper comp .. i just don't like the looks!

you can also have fun build it and then get A chinese carbon and throw all your new parts on that then rebuild your old frame with original parts and sell it ... thats my other option im looking at... good point to think of you dont lose the value of your old stuff cause you could even by the chinese carbon frame for 400 and throw all ur stock stuff on then sell that to recoup some cash if you really liked your bike .. haha

mtbr member
    May 2011
    2012 Marlin. Picked up the frame at a great price and decided to build it up.

X-Fusion Slide29 fork
    2x10 XT Crank/cassette
    XT Front/Rear Drls.
    Avid BB7 brakes
    WTB Speeddisk rims / Deore hubs
    WTB Nano tires
    Thompson Elite post
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Bontrager stem/bars.
    Old as hell beat up crankbros pedals

As it sits now it's right around 28lbs. Goal is to bring it to 24 eventually. Did this as budget as I could and plan on riding the hell out of it so didn't need anything race only... yet Plan on changing out the stem/bars/grips to something lighter and picking up a lighter saddle as well. Down the line I might get a lighter wheelset but for now this works alright.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Mr Cup;9823504]2012 Marlin. Picked up the frame at a great price and decided to build it up.

X-Fusion Slide29 fork
    2x10 XT Crank/cassette
    XT Front/Rear Drls.
    Avid BB7 brakes
    WTB Speeddisk rims / Deore hubs
    WTB Nano tires
    Thompson Elite post
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Bontrager stem/bars.
    Old as hell beat up crankbros pedals

As it sits now it's right around 28lbs. Goal is to bring it to 24 eventually. Did this as budget as I could and plan on riding the hell out of it so didn't need anything race only... yet Plan on changing out the stem/bars/grips to something lighter and picking up a lighter saddle as well. Down the line I might get a lighter wheelset but for now this works alright.

how is the WTB Rocket V Saddle? I am looking into purchasing one but wanted to get your insight.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Rocket V is quite a bit more narrow than other saddles I've tried and I've only used it for a little general riding and one 24 mile race on some really rooty singletrack. For me, I don't think it's going to stay on the bike. I'm 5'11 190lbs and It's just not the right shape/size for extended comfort for me. I like to ride for several hours when I go ride and I'm still trying to find the right saddle that's not overly heavy. I'm going to give the Rocket V a little bit though and see how it rides over a little while if there is any break-in / etc. I know a few people that absolutely love them right out of the box though.

Love my Brooks B-17 and actually use it on longer (30+ mile) rides but need something lighter for a race bike.

mtbr member
    anyone knows how much a Marlin frame weigh?particularly a 19. thanks!

a built,almost stock (diff pedals,grips,seatclamp and tubes) weighed in around 33 pounds and after replacing parts, managed to pull it down to a lil less than 30 pounds after replacing the handlebar (la bici),stem (stylo),saddle (selle italia),drivetrain to 1X9 (XO grippies,X9 RD,XT cassette,Stylo SS cranks with ceramic BB,pc991 chain,exustar pedals).

should be down to sub 25 if i replace the anchor fork (which is around 6 pounds from what i read) to a rigid one or around 27-28 with a sussy fork. lighter tubeless wheelsets should shave off 2 pounds at least off of it. also a lighter seatpost would be nice too.
    i hate biking!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    2011 Trek Mamba (17.5")
    Selle San Marco US Postal Saddle (pretty dope, lol)
    Niner Carbon Fork (dropped 4 lbs! over stock Tora)
    Niner Aluminum Stem
    Niner Aluminum Handlebars
    Niner Seat Clamp (not pictured)
    Shimano XT brakes
    Continental Race Kings
    Ergon GA1 Evo grips
    1x8 Setup with MRP Chain Guide

Stock build set-up came in around 32 lbs. She's now down to 25.7 lbs and you can definitely feel the difference. Yet another Gator themed build. Go Gators!

Last edited by Wardy1; 11-11-2012 at 08:04 PM.

mtbr member

My Trek Mamba

Just upgraded a few things recently. She stands at 28.1 pounds per bike shop.

2012 Trek Mamba
    - SLX Crankset 3x9
    - SLX Front/Rear Derails
    - Deore Shifters
    - Stan's Arch EX 29er with XT Casette and SLX Rotors
    - Maxxis Ignitor 2.1
    - XT Pedals
    - RaceFace Evolve XC Stem/Handlebars
    - RaceFace grips

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here's my 2012 17.5" Cobia
    AC70 Bars
    ODI Grips
    Hayes Prime Expert Brakes
    Alligator Wavy Rotors (180/203)
    X9 Crank and BB
    Hutchinson Cobra Tires

Weighed in at 28.2 pounds according to the bathroom scale.

Shimano M-780 XT pedals are on their way.

I have Manitou Tower Pro 15TA forks on order and a new set of Flows on Chris Kings shortly after that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    19" Mamba

120mm Manitou fork, 90mm stem, Sun Ringle wheels, 2.25 NN tubeless, Wellgo magnesium platforms, 700mm Truvativ bar, ditched the big ring and did a 36T w/BBG bash guard.

28lbs 7oz. With a light seatpost, XT brakes and XT casette I'll break 27lbs and be done.

mtbr member
    Just upgraded a few things recently. She stands at 28.1 pounds per bike shop.

2012 Trek Mamba
    - SLX Crankset 3x9
    - SLX Front/Rear Derails
    - Deore Shifters
    - Stan's Arch EX 29er with XT Casette and SLX Rotors
    - Maxxis Ignitor 2.1
    - XT Pedals
    - RaceFace Evolve XC Stem/Handlebars
    - RaceFace grips

Just got a Reba SL Fork. dropped weight to 27 pounds... 1 more pound and i am done. Waiting to get all my tubes out of the way and then going tubeless. LOL, I got 4 pairs left.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Waiting to get all my tubes out of the way and then going tubeless. LOL, I got 4 pairs left.
    Is Stan's yellowtape already on your new wheelset? If so just use the tubes for chainstay protectors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Still waiting on my wheelset to be built (Hopefully by the end of the week)

Here is a list of old vs new weights of my new goodies. (New wheel weights are estimates for now)

Next to be replaced will be the rear derailleur, Seatpost, Saddle and Stem. My goal is ~25lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Swapping on XT brakes (for performamce not weight!) and to an X0 cassette I dropped to 28.3lbs.

I'm adding a 6oz lighter saddle and a new seat post soon. With that its easily into the 27lb range and its done.

Not bad for a 120mm 19" HT

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Cobia. Looking to upgrade wheels but unsure what exactly would be a good upgrade when compared to the stock wheels. Would a set of wheels in e $250 range be considered better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Down to 26.4lbs. I'll be setting up tubeless next.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cup View Post
    2012 Marlin. Picked up the frame at a great price and decided to build it up.

X-Fusion Slide29 fork
    How's the x-fusion slide? I've got a 2012 marlin SS and I'm thinking about replacing the sr suntour w/ the slide 29 with remote lockout.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast