mtbr member
    Aug 2004

How to make my fuel 80 Tougher...or should I?

Yo,

I just moved to vermont and I love mountain biking and I'm having my trek shipped up here from NC cause I couldn't bring it.

Anyway here's my deal it's a 2003 Trek fuel 80 17.5 frame.
    It has A Marz MXpro 100mm with ETA up front has Truvativ ISIS STyloe Team cranks and AVid rim brakes. everything else is stock excluding the tires and headset.

I'm debating if it's worth it to try and make it tougher i'v broke the swingarm once but had that replaced by trek btw I weigh 170 with gear.
    I like to have fun on the trail and ride tough and the fuel never feels stable going downhill with the new fork it's tons better but still has a very flimsy twithy I dunno not a tough feel
    Also the frame is 17.5 so i guess that's ok for me i'm very close to 6' foot i'm eighteen and I imagine this is as tall as i'm gonna be but maybe a 19 inch would be better

But what are some mods I could do to make it more stable tearing up downhills and riding rough? I don't wanna take it trail stunting ya know like 3 and plus drops I just wanna ride it rough I have a P2 for freeride.

eBiker
    I had a Fuel, and a riding bud had a Fuel, and they were great bikes. They introduced us to aggressive XC. I still miss mine.

Do some serious research on tires that fit your riding and terrain. They are the interface between the ground and you/bike. The most important component. Get big and meaty up front, a mid size in back and you'll feel the difference.

Also, look into a Cane Creek Cloud 9 or AD12 rear shock as it will make the suspension much more active (makes it feel like more travel). Set the volume to minimum if you do any drops.

I have ridden all of the technicals locally on a 14 year old rigid single speed - slower, but pulled it off. Point is; skill makes the rider.

Ride it like you stole it, life is too short.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    I have a Fuel 90 which I've ruggedized as my all terrain bike. Eats the rocks and drops of Porcupine Rim without problem.

Major discernable upgrades:
    1. Disc brakes - Hayes HFX-9.
    2. Wheelset (and as mentioned, tires) - Bonty Racelites with Bonty ACX 2.2 Tubeless.
    3. Fork - Rockshox REBA rocks.
    4. Stem - from 110mm to 90mm.

Everything else on the bike works just fine.

Hope that helps.

Hey, Frank...have a 90 here, as well. Are the 2.2" s a close fit ?? I've had some 2.1's in the past that left not much mud clearance, can't imagine running any wider (but, of course, one company's 2.1 can be as wide - if not moreso - than another co's 2.2's, I suppose.......seems to be a lot of leeway in claimed tire sizes compared to actual sizes.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankH
    I have a Fuel 90 which I've ruggedized as my all terrain bike. Eats the rocks and drops of Porcupine Rim without problem.

Major discernable upgrades:
    1. Disc brakes - Hayes HFX-9.
    2. Wheelset (and as mentioned, tires) - Bonty Racelites with Bonty ACX 2.2 Tubeless.
    3. Fork - Rockshox REBA rocks.
    4. Stem - from 110mm to 90mm.

Everything else on the bike works just fine.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Hi Fuelish:

It's not too bad clearance-wise, I can stick my skinny finger on either side of the chainstays. Two reasons, I guess 'cos the Bonty ACX 2.2 do look skinier than you'd think and also as I'm running 'em Tubeless with Bonty Super Juice they're only inflated to 30 psi.