mtbr member
    Jul 2005

How good is Klein's Warranty?

I was cleaning my Adept Race this morning and noticed a crack in the rear triangle close to the crank. Anyone here dealt with a situation like this? I am the original owner and if I remember correctly these bikes have a lifetime warranty. It hasn't been raced, I don't jump, and only weigh 158 lb. I am suprised this bike cracked like this.
    Last edited by mtbkid454; 07-08-2006 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Upload an image

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    that would be the death of me if that happened to my Adept. if you are the original owner, i don't see why they would not honor your warranty. how long have you had this adept? '01 or '02 and how often do you ride?

i have seen rear triangles from adepts and sugars on ebay for sale.
    got any pics?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I bought the bike in August 2002. It was the last year they made the adept. I got a good deal on a closeout and it's a sweet bike for sure. I have had absoutely NO issues with this bike except the bushings in the FS wore out and had to be replaced. It shifts like a dream and has NEVER had an ocurrance of chain suck. I ride pretty often. Prehaps 4 times a week, but I have a couple of hardtails that I ride quite a bit too so it is tough to say how many miles are on this bike. It did sit unused for several months while it needed the bushings.

I have a photo but when I attempt to upload it the system tells me I am not logged in. Not sure what is up with that. OH it just worked! maybe..
    Attached Images Attached Images

gigidy gigidy
    Jun 2004
    they will repair, replace, or upgrade it-no worrys

mtbr member

No worries is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Musicguy
    they will repair, replace, or upgrade it-no worrys
    Odds are you get a Palomino frame.

In 03 my Mantra cracked at a weld and I rec'd a Palomino Team.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I dropped it off at the LBS today. They are taking digital pics and sending them to Trek/Klein. Since I posed my original quesiton I found lots of folks who were treated great by Trek. I am glad I paid the extra money up front on a Klein. I have a Scattanie CFR road bike. It is a good bike, but if anything happens to it I think I may have greater worries.

Cheers

banned
    Klein Bicycle Corporation provides each original retail purchaser of the bicycle a lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship in the bicycle frame and rigid fork when the bicycle is purchased from an authorized Klein dealer. Klein Bicycle Corporation likewise warrants all original parts, excluding suspension forks and rear shock absorbers, for a period of one year from the date of purchase. Suspension forks and rear shock absorbers shall be covered under the stated warranty of their original manufacturers. Paint and decals are warranted for one year. This warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective frame, fork, or defective part and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This warranty applies only to the original owner and is not transferable. Claims under this warranty must be made through an authorized Klein dealer. Proof of purchase is required. A warranty registration card must be completed and received by Klein Bicycle Corporation before a warranty claim may be processed. This warranty covers bicycles and components purchased outside the United States only if they are purchased through an authorized international Klein distributor or Klein dealer within the country of purchase. The warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, improper assembly or follow-up maintenance, installation of parts or accessories not originally intended or compatible with the bicycle as sold, damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse or neglect or modification of the frame, fork or components. Klein Bicycle Corporation shall not be responsible for incidental or consequential damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion of incidental or consequential damages, so the above exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights may vary from place to place. This warranty does not affect the statutory rights of the consumer.

mtbr member
    You bought the Scattante used? I think any Performance should warrenty the CFR. Just make sure it cracks while you are washing it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    hey if you want to sell that front triangle, the one without the crack, let me know

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

What's the Lifetime of an Aluminum Frame?

Klein/Trek would touch my 1990 Attitude with a 10 foot pole back in 2000.

The water bottle rivits poped out of the frame leaving 2 jagged holes. It was thouroughly inspected and a dealer and rep both told me the frame was fine structurally and I could keep riding it. They would not warranty it due to age.

He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    Klein/Trek would touch my 1990 Attitude with a 10 foot pole back in 2000.
    They would not warranty it due to age.
    If you are the original owner of the bike, it should have been warrantied. The 1990 Kleins have a million mile warranty. I have had a 1990 (and cracked one), so I know about this. The fact that they no have such a warranty for their new bikes is not your problem, at the time, this is what they offered. Should it come up again for anyone else, remind them of this fact.

'Guin