mtbr member
    May 2006

How do you disassemble a Cake swingarm pivot?

Ok guys Iíve searched and searched and found several threads about loose Cake swingarm pivots,, but I just canít seem to find a thread describing how to disassemble it. Can someone explain how to remove the swingarm from a GF Cake? I need to check the pivot bearings and probably replace them (theyíre loose), but Iím not sure how it comes apart and Iíd hate to damage something by doing it wrong. I took out the allen head bolt that goes through the left side of the swingarm into the pivot and thought maybe the pivot ďbarrelĒ might then slide out of the frame to the right, but it doesnít feel like its free. I even threaded the allen head bolt back in a bit and tapped on it with a hammer to see if it would knock the pivot barrel out,, but it wasnít moving and I was afraid to hit it very hard for fear of breaking something. Anyone know the proper procedure to get it apart?

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here's the scoop on the Cake main pivot. #1, if the main pivot has play it means the bearings have broken free from the Loctite 680. It does NOT mean the bearings are shot, in fact these bearings rarely die. Think about how large these bearings are and how little they rotate and it will make sense
    #2. These bearings are NOT press fit. They rely on Loctite 680 to capture them in the main pivot. Occasionally the bond breaks down and the bearings will slop around in the frame.If the bike has been ridden with a sloppy pivot for a long time, the main pivot may be damaged to the point that the main triangle needs to be replaced, but it is rare. To fix your main pivot issues - first clean off the main frame where ever the bearing makes contact and the bearing itself with acetone. You will also want to use a razor blade to shave off any old loctite residue. After you have done this, apply a film of the loctite to the frame where the bearing makes contact and to the outer race of the bearing. Reinstall the swing and torqued down the main pivot. I dont have a torqued readily available but, it needs to be very tight. This is the hard part.... ALLOW 24 HOURS TO CURE BEFORE YOU RIDE. This will ensure the best results possible.

#3 I shouldve covered this first.... the main pivot is rather simple and straight forward to dissssemble . It sounds like oyu have done every thing correct. If haven't removed the rear wheel, the pivot sleeve will be excess weight on it and may be hard to remove. Remove the wheel and you should be all set.

I would do the same as you are... thread the bolt back into the sleeve and firmly hit the bolt with the hammer. This will push the sleeve out the opposite side.

If you have any other questions let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sodhead
    Ok guys Iíve searched and searched and found several threads about loose Cake swingarm pivots,, but I just canít seem to find a thread describing how to disassemble it. Can someone explain how to remove the swingarm from a GF Cake? I need to check the pivot bearings and probably replace them (theyíre loose), but Iím not sure how it comes apart and Iíd hate to damage something by doing it wrong. I took out the allen head bolt that goes through the left side of the swingarm into the pivot and thought maybe the pivot ďbarrelĒ might then slide out of the frame to the right, but it doesnít feel like its free. I even threaded the allen head bolt back in a bit and tapped on it with a hammer to see if it would knock the pivot barrel out,, but it wasnít moving and I was afraid to hit it very hard for fear of breaking something. Anyone know the proper procedure to get it apart?

Thanks guys.
    Hi sodhead,
    here is a nice diagram of the cake swingarm that I picked up in this forum few months ago. I think it gives a great overview of where you need to pay attention to, where to apply the loctite and it includes the torque ratings as well.

Cheers,
    OTF
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Very helpful. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys!.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

same problem sort of

I can get the allen bolt loose but now the whole sleeve is turning and I can't get the bolt out at all. Maybe I can jamb a chunk of dowel rod in there to hold it while I turn the bolt?
    [SIZE=4][SIZE=1]You can't be lost if you don't care where you are[/SIZE][/SIZE].

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Heat will help loosen the loctite, but if it still spins... the newer pivot axles had holes drilled so you could put an old school bb spanner in it to hold the pivot axle while you loosen the fixing bolt. If not then you can try some reverse pliers on the inside of the pivot axle, I got lucky once with a set of regular duck bill pliers being forced open to try and grab the internal dia. If that doesn't work then get the drill out and carefully make two holes to put a spanner in. There may also be a handle bar plug that expands and could grab the inside, allowing you to then sacrifice the bar end and hold that with a pair of pliers. Hope one of these helps.
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.