mtbr member
    Sep 2012

HELP! Trek fuel problems!

Hi all, I have a 2010 Fuel ex7, certain things are starting to wear down and need replacement, and I'm fairly green when it comes to actual intricate bike maintenance. First, the bracket/crank assembly makes a creaking noise when pedaling. It has gotten significantly worse lately. I don't have a manual, so i'm not sure what type of insides that part has. The crank arms say Deore on them, so I know the crank is a Deore, but thats about it. Is this just an issue where I need to replace the bearings and grease them? I'm tempted to just replace the part. Also, I know I need to replace my rear casette. Are there any true differences between a 40$ casette and a 90-110$ casette? Lastly, I am going to replace the rear hub. Once again I don't have the manual so I don't know what type of hub dimensions/model I would need. The weather is perfect and the trails are awesome, so any quick help would be greatly apprecaited!

TXTony
    Take it to a shop..sounds like you have limited experience working on bikes....sounds like your bottom bracket...may need replacing or cleaned/lubed etc..cranks could be loose...as far as cassette there are some differences between low cost and high cost..mainly weight savings and durability...its gonna be like that with a lot of things when it comes to bike parts and performance..rear hub..may just need to be serviced...these are all things that one can do at home if they know how and have the right tools to perform the maintenance...but you are going to need some bike specific tools..cassette remover and whip, bottom bracket tools depending on bottom bracket type and the hub you may or may not need specific tools once again depending on hub..

Yeah it is gonna cost you more to have it done at the shop...but it will be done right and the type of issues you described are pretty much routine stuff that needs to be done on bikes periodically and usually sooner on mountain bikes than say a road bike...of course this just my opinion but in your case I would seek out a good shop..develop a relationship with said shop...have them do the work and enjoy your bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

HELP! Trek fuel problems!

Yeah, bring it in. Pick it up later and then enjoy it.

I am limited with what I can do.

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member