mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Help with shock mount points 2013 Rumblefish elite

hello,

doing suspension service this weekend and so far everything has been going just as planned until I went to put the rear shock back on. When I torque the bolts down to the specified torque. The shock is REALLY tight. Obviously this can't be correct, so I'm trying to figure out what's going on here.

Nothing looks damaged. The shock linkage is on the frame and everything operates buttery smooth except for the 2 shock mount points.

The front part of the shock has 2 shoulder bolts that go through 2 white bushings in the frame. there's nothing really here that seems as though I could screw it up. The mounting bolts are supposed to move inside the white bushings. I have greased them up but when I torque to 125 inch pounds, the shock is solid in the frame.

the rear part of the shock is a little more complex. It looks like there are two white bushings in the shock itself. Then a sleeve runs through the shock. O rings on each side of that and a machined spacer on each side. then a single bolt runs through the shock linkage, through the sleeve and threads into the other side of the shock linkage.

Now it seems to be like that sleeve would be held solid in the in the linkage and would pivot inside the white sleeve in the shock, but it was really really tight in there. I had to use a socket and push really hard to get it out of there. No amount of grease will free this up.

I'm just trying to use grease, but the sleeves look to be fine. Is there a trick that I'm missing out on here. I'm usually fairly mechanically inclined.

Thanks for your help in advance,
    Luke

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    after further evaluation, I have come to the conclusion that it's just a bad design and has quite a bit of resistance at these points. Seems to be fine bouncing around on the bike. after everything else having bearings, it just seemed wrong.

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Hi there,

2012 'Pro owner here. I've noticed the same. But no problems whatsoever.
    As long as you dont have excessive wear, i don't think it's an issue.

Better not grease the Igus bushings, they're made to run dry.
    Last edited by de lars cuevas; 12-30-2013 at 01:07 AM.
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    are the white bushings the IGUS bushings? oops. I guess I'll take it back apart and clean it up.

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, Last generation Rumblefishies use the Igus hardware that Fox introduced for MY 2013: 2013 Fox Racing Shox Mountain Bike Seat Post | Bike Reviews. My '12 still has the old style '12 lower mount by the way.

Bearings for the shock pivot points are rare. Enduro sells bearing kits aftermarket, but not for the trunnion upper mount of the DRCV shocks.

Shock movement in the upper mount is minimal anyway, i don't think you'll gain a lot.

What i did did try is to lower the torque of the bolts. But it took quite a lot less torque to feel the effect, and you will risk lifespan decreasing play in the construction, plus unwanted loosening of the bolts.
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Seemed like a lot of friction on the bike stand. Not so much I guess with my weight on it and the mechanical leverage of the suspension parts. I'll just clean the grease out of it and leave it alone.

There was some grease on the upper mount bolts from the factory though...