mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Help me upgrade my X-Cal 7

Need help upgrading new Trek X-Cal 7
    Hi all 1st post here, like the title reads I need help upgrading a new Trek X-cal 7. I took her out to the trails once here are my impressions.

Stem too short
    Bars too much vibration
    Components are just plain horrible thinking upgrade to XT
    Fork is useless as well

if I could get some opinions as to brands sizes and experiences that would be great.

i was an avid rider back in the late 90's but due to a bad wreck and no one left to ride with I gave the sport up. Fast forward to now I have a 15yo son that I just introduced to the sport so off to the bike shops I went to get myself a new ride. I like the color of the trek and the frame fits perfect so I thought I would be happy with the bike as is but old habits are hard to kill so here we go time to upgrade.

Thanks all

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A goood shop should swap the stem to one of the right length for you. Hopefully your shop is good!
    A new fork would improve the ride and alleviate the need for new bars. You might start by checking you tire pressure before anything else. Start in the mid 20's and go up or down from there depending on your weight and riding style. If that is not enough, then A Rock Shox Reba or Fox Float would be a nice upgrade. Just stick with a G2 (51 mm offset version). Sometime Trek is closing these out, so it might pay to check with your dealer.
    I have a new XT 2x10 kit for sale that is not yet posted in the classifieds. The parts would fit your frame if that is a route you want to take.
    If you do plan to replace your bars, figure out what you don't like about the ones that are on there. Not enough sweep? Too Narrow / wide? Bontrager makes some nice bars as do others. If you are complaining about vibration, carbon is nice.
    A tubeless wheel set would be nice as well.
    Last edited by kdiddy; 12-23-2013 at 04:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    let me know what you have as I definitely need to upgrade to XT. I weigh 230 for now so I need to get a fork that will handle my weight. I will look into both of the forks you mentioned. My bars are riser bars so I would like a straight bar set, and I need a 100mm stem do to my torso and long arms. I was either thinking the Easton or the Thompson bars with a matching stem. Back in the day I used Grip Shift and loved it due to the quick response when shifting and with this bike the quick shift is definitely missing.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Your stem isn't bad - decently light and stiff. You should see if your shop will swap it for a 100 or 105. If they do any type of fitting service, they should have plenty of those sizes, since that is what come stock on many Trek bikes. You can also try moving all of your spacers above the stem and flipping it to give a negative rise, if you haven't already. If your bars are still too high, they make that stem in a +/- 17 degree to get it lower, or like you said, go to flat bars.
    If you are planning to swap the wheels and the fork, you would benefit from a 15 mm through axle on the fork for the added torsional stiffness.
    I PM'd you with a link to my ad for the XT group.

mtbr member
    Guess I really am an amateur. I got the xcal 6 and my only complaint was the awful saddle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trevordchi View Post
    Guess I really am an amateur. I got the xcal 6 and my only complaint was the awful saddle.
    Depends on where you ride.
    The fork is the determining factor.
    Suntour last year listed your fork as RTR. "No fast ups or downhills. Just flowing through the woods behind your house, along the river and through the city with your friends." Basically for bike paths only.
    When you take it down fun/difficult singletrack it pogos over multiple rocks/roots and flexes and can start freezing up.
    We started adding their description to negative posts. They took it down for this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sorry to disappoint you but I would rather sell the bike rather than upgrading it simply because the cost of the upgrades would be more expensive than the bicycle itself.

Just recently I have upgraded my brakes and groupset to full XT and it cost me 650 euros. An average fork will cost you at least 350 euros and if you also consider to upgrade your wheelset you will need at least another 350 euros minimum.

If you add all the above the cost will be 1.350 euros and even if you buy them second hand with 50% discount the cost will still be almost equal with the cost of your bicycle. A cheaper alternative would be SLX instead of XT a cheaper fork and keeping the same wheels but still the cost would be high enough. The good thing is that you can use the upgraded parts to a newer bicycle if you choose to buy another in the future.

Anyway it is a matter of choice and budget.