mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Help me decide on a fuel ex

Been lusting after one to park next to my mamba. I want something that I can go out and climb a bit nastier stuff than the mamba likes to. Initially I was going to do a 26er ex8. Everyone says because I am big, 6'6 to get a 29er. So, I went in the store yesterday, they have a 2014 ex7 29. I rode it, it was OK, I mean it was parking lot stuff, some stairs, parking blocks, side walks, etc. I didn't care for the brakes much, love the color. Well they also have a 2013 ex8 26, the SLX brakes were great, the bike maneuvered nicely at low speeds, seemed to jump stuff better and in my limited time with it, seems like a more fun bike. More sure if I will regret it off road though. The 2013 is 1999, the 2014 ex7 is 2499, or I can wait and they to get a ride on an ex8 when they get one, but that discount on the 2013 is tempting.

Kick Start My Heart
    I am not sure about the 6'6" = 29er. Ride what works for your riding.
    I am 6'1", and went in for an EX7, ended up with an 8. Like you said, better brakes, and awesome handling.
    I didn't spend any time on 29er, it's not my thing, my trails are tight and narrow, and 26" makes the most sense for me. You can get a good fit on either.
    Don't get turned on price. Don't save money on something that you may not like. You are going to have this bike a long time, like a marriage, well, some marriages.
    Ride the different bikes, a lot. I must have switched back and forth between the 7 and 8 3-4 times over 4 hours.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you can spend the extra $$$, get the ex 9 29er. The spec is really good, and at your height it will ride pretty nice. Unless you're really into throwing the bike around, jumping and getting wild, then you probably want a more heavy duty 26 than a fuel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have a 2013 Fuel Ex 7 and it is a great bike. Really agile and fun to ride. Also with 130mm it is really capable. Regarding the 29er I haven't tried it yet but I had a Scott Spark 29er and I sold it in 3 months. It felt really big and difficult to maneuver around. Maybe the 29er Fuel will be much better.

Having said that all this hype about the 29ers makes you wonder if you don't finaly choose one if you will make a huge mistake that you will regret for the rest of your life (I am joking). Personally I believe that it is really up to your riding style. More XC or more fun. But as I said maybe the new generation of 29ers is much better than the past. If you can test them both again. If I had to choose I would go for the 26er as I did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Help me decide on a fuel ex

I have a HT 29er and don't plan on getting rid of it. The jumping was one thing I noticed was easier on the 26, along with very slow speed maneuvering.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Have u checked out the Remedy they come in 29ner and 650b and u can change the geometry with the Mino link. Plus the Remedy frames have ISCG 05 tabs for chain guides. Just a thought

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I didn't know trek had a 650b. Now I'm a bit intrigued.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My opinion is that the Fuel 29er climbs better and descends better in rough terrain than the 26 inch version, significantly so in both departments. The 26er however is easier to jump and flick around, handle tight switchbacks, and loft the front end, although not as significantly so. Most reviews cmparing them mimic those thoughts, so the decision is based on what you want out of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I think I am just going to wait. I was pretty set on it, but there are a few others now a couple friends are coercing me to try before I drop the cash.