mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Help with Fuel EX6 Rear Shock?

I just bought a used 2006 Trek Fuel EX6, and I'm having trouble pumping air into the rear shock, a Rockshox MC3.

When I bought the bike, the rear shock seemed to be holding air fine, but it felt too stiff, so I let out the air, hooked up the shock pump, and set it to what I thought it needed. But the pump bottoms out as soon as I get in the bike. Basically, I'm not getting ANY air into the shock. I tested the pump on the front shock, and the pump works okay. Somehow I think I'm letting all the air out when I detach the pump from the rear shock. It's a Wrench Force shock pump with an adapter for the rear shock. The adapter doesn't seem to be making a tight enough seal with the shock valve. Pump it up to about 150psi and watch the needle fall about 10 PSI per second on the gauge. And hear a big, disappointing, hiss when you disconnect the pump. It won't insert all the way into the schrader valve and seal with the rubber ring, maybe?

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any of you have similar experiences or any hints?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sounds like your doing it right. The hiss at the end doesn't sound good though.

Your definitely disconnecting the pump correctly?
    My religion is simple. My religion is kindness. - Dali Lama

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just in case anyone comes across this same problem, it turns out that the schrader valve core was leaking. A helpful guy at REI popped a new one in, and it's accepting and holding air fine now.

Nice to have a cheap fix sometimes!

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho66
    Just in case anyone comes across this same problem, it turns out that the schrader valve core was leaking. A helpful guy at REI popped a new one in, and it's accepting and holding air fine now.

Nice to have a cheap fix sometimes!
    I bought a used Fuel 6 about 5 weeks ago. How do you like yours so far (beside rear shock issue). Bike is pretty heavy, I am looking to shave some weight off.............over all I am really pleased with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

ex6

I have bought an '06 Fuel ex6 last fall and I agree it is a tad heavy. I threw on some upgrades and I like it even more now. Upgraded the wheels to FSA XC300's. The tires, handlebar, stem, and saddle also got replaced. I think I shaved at least a couple pounds off total bike weight. If you're looking to lose weight on that bike I would have to say the wheelset would be the first place to start.

livin' the dream......
    So far I have replaced the pedals with Shimano 520 spd and just put Panaracer Fire XC Pro's on. I agree with the wheels, I think that is the place to loose the most weight. This is my 1st full suspension bike, its like butter on the choppy downhills..................enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, it's heavy, but I'm upgrading from a '99 Trek VRX200 with a broken rear shock, so it seems like a big improvement to me. I looked at the weight of some other wheels, tires, stems, seatposts, etc., and it does look like you could shave a few pounds from the bike. I'm going to wait a while before I replace anything, though. Well, other than the saddle, which I replaced immediately.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. It's a nice, comfortable, stable ride. It seems well suited for the kinds of trails I ride, anyway.