Thread: Hello :)

mtbr member

Hello :)

Over the weekend I went out to purchase a brand new '09 4300 disc. I was on a limited budget seeing how I have bills and school to pay. So here she is I took her out for a spin and really enjoyed riding the bike around! My actual first real good bike

I only got one picture of her so far, on my first day going out. Anyways yesterday I rode around a lot, and am already looking to upgrade the saddle to something really comfortable, something thats really good out there. Got any suggestions anyone ? so HI!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I purchased the same bike (actually 2 of them, in Orange and Black), I really like the way it rides so far! Only had time to go out on trails once last weekend but it held up great. The other bike is for my wife and she is just getting into riding so we are going short distances while she gets into shape.

I'll have to get a picture of mine also. Have fun!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That's a cool bike. The matte black looks great. In terms of future upgrades, clipless pedals and shoes will give you the most benefit for the money, so maybe think about adding those to your shopping list.

mtbr member
    Hey guys thanks!

Oh yeah? pedals would work best? What pedals would you suggest on getting? and shoes? I love the color of the bike, I call it my stealth ninja xD its loads of fun to ride and lighter too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyNovember
    That's a cool bike. The matte black looks great. In terms of future upgrades, clipless pedals and shoes will give you the most benefit for the money, so maybe think about adding those to your shopping list.
    +1. You don't need anything extravagant, and you can get some decent clipless pedals for $30-$40 online. Once you get used to them you'll have a ton more control over your bike on the trails.

mtbr member
    deftones is an awesome band, and thanks! I am going to go look into some today after my ride tonight.

responsible zombie owner
    Mallet Cs are a good start cos of the big platform (but they're heavy). wait a while before swapping the saddle, sometimes they just need to break in and then what seemed like a rock becomes your racing couch...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    Mallet Cs are a good start cos of the big platform (but they're heavy). wait a while before swapping the saddle, sometimes they just need to break in and then what seemed like a rock becomes your racing couch...
    lol a comfy racing couch xD

cool, I will look into them (those are the pedals right?)

Supernaut
    I bought the orange/silver 2008 4300 in may, and when it got to my LBS they called it the "General Lee".

since then they now carry it in the shop. yeah the first thing i did was go clipless, just remember if youve never rode clipless before, practice getting in and out with the shoes at a stand still, do it a few times. or just do what i did and learn the hard way!lol! the next was putting on locking Odi Intense grips.

so many upgrades, so little time. I plan on making this the baddest 4300 in the 'Ville!
    Last edited by Triips; 09-18-2008 at 04:04 PM.

I like bacon... (clyde)
    I got some Shimano 520's for my 6500 about a month ago. Already it is weird to ride a bike that doesn't have clipless pedals and I find myself lifting my feet off the pedals while climbing (usually not good). It definitely changes the feel of the bike for the better, allowing you to flick it around like you never knew you could. All you need to remember is "I'm going to stop; I need to click out." Coming out if you're going down at high speeds isn't much of a problem because your feet tend to twist the right way in that case, such as the other day when I went over a small rock pile and almost bit it. Both feet clicked out unconsciously, yet that doesn't happen when I'm riding steadily over bumps.

Other immediate upgrades that you would appreciate include tires, grips, and a more comfortable saddle. I had to get a new stem and handlebar so the bike would fit me better, so consider getting the best fit possible too.

Supernaut
    yeah last week i hit a log on the trail and i thought i ripped the cleat right out of my shoe. i feel ya about riding with regular pedals now, is a strange feeling. I have the tension set low so as to get in and out quick.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyNovember
    Not sure I agree about that!

Clipless is just a pedal preference nothing more than that. Universal benefit don't come into it.

The 4300 was me first mtb and I loved it - till it got stolen lol. V. decent frame and just replaced the parts as they broke. Used it for everything - commuting, cross-country, jumps, street and even north shore (don't think the fork approved of that pmsl).

ps I just stuck some Magnesium V12s on after all the studs wore off the stock pedals.

responsible zombie owner
    i was hesitant about clipless so i went for the large-platform Mallets and cheap cycling shoes, but now i resent ever having to cycle unclipped as a waste of good cycling time. the extra power and control makes all my bikes feel turbo-powered when i'm clipped in. i can eat up hills and once the cleats wear in it's buttery-smooth unclipping from Crank Bros pedals.

mtbr member
    are these good pedals? http://crankbrothers.com/smarty_black.php

because I know that performance has this package:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=43474098

would it be worth to buy the package or buy them seperately?
    Last edited by ymduhh; 09-19-2008 at 11:36 AM.

responsible zombie owner
    i just bought cheap Sette Elements but have no complaints about them aside form the 80s football boot styling. they were $45 or so, absolute bargain.

Crank Bros pedals look great, use a simple and elegant design which works well, are easy to get used to and CB offer good customer service. what's not to like. a few people have bad experiences but mtb'ing will break stuff now and again, doesn't mean the product is inherently flawed. nonetheless it's worth paying extra for stainless steel models, not the cromoly ones, and the plastic Smartys don't have the same durability as the Candys and metal-platform eggbeaters.

mtbr member
    okay today i went out and bought some specialized mtb shoes, and the family had pitched in to buy me my pedals, cuz the shoes cost more. iI was on a set budget so I ended up buying some Candy clipless pedals.

I got home and tried to install the pedals but dont know how to take the old pedals off. i unbolted this bolt but the pedal didnt come off. So does anyone know what I have to take off to install the pedals?

I like bacon... (clyde)
    The old pedals should have flat spots where they screw into your cranks. I believe the wrench you need is a 9/16". What bolt did you take out?

responsible zombie owner
    mhm, on the pedal spindle next to the crank is a flat-edged hex that you slot a 9/16" pedal wrench onto. NOTE that the left pedal has a bass-ackwards thread so when the bike is right-way up the left pedal tightens anti-clockwise and loosens clockwise (not righty-tighty/lefty-loosy, but lefty-tighty, and righty-loosy!)... so be careful or you'll accidentally tighten it onto the cranks when trying to remove it.

you'll need the right allen wrench to put CB pedals on. 6mm IIRC.

i find this site helpful for these matters... bookmark it!

http://www.webmountainbike.com/maintenance.html

mtbr member
    awesome thanks

i installed them and rode, i tried to understand the directions on the installation of the cleats, The one with holes and no holes the pictures were the same so i tried it and i think i did it the right way im sure. I have to put umm my like cyclocomputer on and dont know how to install it llol but tomorrow ima try it after i go for my first long ride, i have to get use to it so ima just take a road route to dc should be enough to get use to

Members who have read this thread: 0