Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hate'n on Trek

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hate'n on Trek

The new issue of MBA trashes the EX6. Its brutal. Its the most scathing review of a bike I can recall reading in MBA in a long a while. They usually heap praise on the bikes they review at all different price points. The EX 6 came in last place in the $1,500 trailbike shootout. Geez, its a good thing that Trek is redesigning the rear suspension on the Fuel EX line for 08.....wait, they trashed that too, saying that the front and rear suspension on the Fuel has never seemed "balanced" and hopefully the new design will fix this. Do they make this stuff up as they go along?????? Meanwhile, they are lovin on the Specialized bikes as usual. Where is the justice???? Well, at least GF is getting some nice pub (The HiFI won the trailbike shootout). All in all, I may rethink buying MBA when next month's issue hits the stands. Trashing the venerable Fuel, how dare they!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

shocking!

wow that's a big surprise!

let me guess, Special Ed spends more money on advertising and they also send MBA more swag than Trek does.

That mag has been a joke for years. sad thing is, some people take it as gospel.

I haven't bought one in years. Sometimes I pick one up at the book store for a good laugh.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Y'know, with as many adverts from the Big S that I see in MBA, it has crossed my mind that they know it's in their best interest to promote Spech and trash their major competitors. I wouldn't put it past the Big S to pressure some mags to do that sort of thing - based on what I've heard about their bullying business practices. I would rather give them the benefit of the doubt but with as many douches as I see on Spech bikes, it's hard.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

You got any chocolate?
    Don't sweat the reviews. Use them as a way of gaining insight as to what each manufacturer provides in terms of suspension design, etc. Actual test rides on prospective bikes is what makes the ultimate choice for a rider, not magazine articles.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    I was disappointed that they didn't review an Ex7 with the extra seatstay pivot.The EX6 is the same 4" suspension as the Fuel ,not a trailbike suspension but a very old race suspension that had been reviewed in the past.
    My EX8 is very tunable and efficient.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanmachine
    I was disappointed that they didn't review an Ex7 with the extra seatstay pivot.The EX6 is the same 4" suspension as the Fuel ,not a trailbike suspension but a very old race suspension that had been reviewed in the past.
    My EX8 is very tunable and efficient.
    exactly. they tested the wrong bike for the shootout, no questions asked.

The EX-7 should have been the bike of choice to compete against the Hifi and others.
    That frame (EX-7 and up for 2007) is excellent.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

banned
    Specialized bikes are > than Trek bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    did your new copy of MBA tell you that?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by funkenstein
    did your new copy of MBA tell you that?
    What is that? Is that Mountain Bike Action or something? What is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    Specialized is the new Cannondale.You will only be able to use their forks,shocks headsets,other components.Take a look at the Specialized forum.Their new forks are going thru some problems (Enduro sl).Anyway the Hifi won the shootout.I wouldn't buy a Hifi Pretel bike until they rework the geometry.to prevent them from folding.
    A Fox 29er fork for 2008 sounds nice.
    Last edited by deanmachine; 08-02-2007 at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I wouldn't buy a Hifi Pretel bike until they rework the geometry.to prevent them from folding.
    Well, put your money where your mouth is and anti up, because the problem was fixed months ago.

mtbr member
    All ready have an EX 8.Time will tell if the problem is actually fixed.I 'll keep monitoring the forums.I 'd really like to try the new Hifi 29er .I rode the Raceday Caliber 29er last October and liked it alot.They didn't have a Supercaliber available at the time.Might have bought one if they did.
    The new EX's are now on the TREK website.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The new EX's are now on the TREK website.
    There's also some great info at http://trekmountain.typepad.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Dont believe everything you read...

The EX6 they reviewed is a a carry-over 06 model - Its old technology and old geometry. BUT its not representative of the 07' models in general which ride great. I think someone at Trek sent them the wrong bike! Hopefully this doesnt make all the 'Fuel EX's look bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

whatever to MBA....

I read that review of the EX 6 as well and was amazed how they didnt have one positive thing to say about it (in fact it was as if they went out of their way to slam it.) Im not suprised though, for whatever reason those guys just do not like trek, its been very evident over the several years i have read the magazine. I personally could care less, I have an 06 EX8 and its a great bike period. What i find ridiculous about this recent review and what also discredits it is the fact that the 05 EX 9 they reviewed a while back recieved a mostly positive (suprisingly enough) review. Aside from a different fork, components and a carbon fiber chain stay its the same bike as the EX 6. SO...i guess that without a carbon fiber chain stay the bike's geometry, suspension setup, steering, climbing and just about everything else sucks... According to MBA the 05 EX 5 " was a bike welcome on any serious trail ride" ... the EX 6 " due to the lack of versatility and difficulty in suspension setup not recommended for anyone considering a serious trail bike"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This is going to be harsh, so in the interest of full disclosure, I am currently riding my second Trek MTB, a 2005 Trek Fuel.

MBA is only calling Trek out, and deservedly so. The EX6 is the bike Trek offers at that price-point, so that's the bike they tested. Trek has been getting by with the bare-minimum technology they can provide the mountain biking consumer while still holding an appreciable market share. They're selling mtn bikes on the coat tails of their road bike popularity and LBS network. Face it, if Trek was a boutique company, they'd have to close shop. Nobody would by the Fuel frames with the alternatives out there.

Moreover, the EX6 is a minor tweak of a 10 year old suspension design that was inferior in 2001. The rear pivot EX models are a minor rework. Nothing spectacular, rather uninspiring. Perhaps MBA kisses Specialized ass because they have the mojo to re-design a 2-year old FSR design that is already hailed by the sport as one of the best designs out there. While Trek is complacently attempting to milk the last $ from you and I with the lest amount of innovation.

If it weren't for critics, we'd still be riding full rigids with canty brakes. Someone has to say enough is enough. Thankfully Trek has listened. Though it took them too long - I have an Intense 5.5 on order.

mtbr member
    Also a Trek hardtail owner...

I have to agree with Benzy. This is the bike in the price range they were comparing. That was one of the first things I checked when I read the review. Why was this important to me? Interested in the new EX series and wanted to see how they would compare Trek to Spesh given that they didn't include Trek in the shoot-out a few months ago on the $2000 - $2500 group (Stumpjumper won).

I also have to agree with the comments that they couldn't find anything positive. It seems like every review they do of a bike is positive; don't really seem to have much bad to say so it is surprizing to see them totally trash a bike like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

true...but

I dont think anyone will argue with you that trek has been playing catch up with their mountain bike line-up for a while now. Most believe that all their R &D went into their road bikes during the lance era, and their mountain bikes thus suffered. I think that just because theyve kept a single pivot design throughout hardly justifies the idea that their basically scamming the mountain bike community. They are still one of the few remaining manufactures that offers a lifetime warranty and has some of their manufacturing in the U.S. Point is that no they do not offer the most 'innovative' or 'technological' suspension design. But so what. The bikes still ride well and are fun. I just dont see how people justify them as so inferior (i have rode many boutique brands for comparison). People geek out on all these suspension designs like wheel paths, brake jack, ramping of suspension blah blah and go out and buy their botique bikes and then suck it up on the trails. (Sorry from my personal experiance a majority of the riders riding boutique bikes hardly ride in a manner that would allow them to differentiate suspension designs...old men with money.) I agree though trek needed to step up to the plate along time ago , i just think that its been overexaggerated that their bikes are crap because of it. MBA has 'called out' trek on this numerous times, but that does not warrant saying everying with the bike is crap and not worth riding on the trails. Its just the rear suspension. The ex 05 was liked for the most part so i dont see how the ex 6 should be punished as a bad bike just because they havent been redesigned as quickly as we all would have liked.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I think there are plenty of examples of great bikes with simple suspension designs. What Mountain Bike gave the Santa Cruz Heckler a 10/10 and it's a mere single pivot - not even as advanced as a faux bar. The Cannondale Prophet and Rush are great bikes - again, a simple single pivot design. Not to diminish the R&D that went into those bikes but I'm sure every Big S worshipper would be quick to highlight the advantages of their Horst Link or fancy inertia valve technology over such a primitive design.

Trek had Chris Eatough winning six 24hr solo world championships on their bikes. Why change a winning design? Maybe he could've won those on a NEXT frame. Anyway, the point is, a company can do lots of R&D and come out with some very advanced weird design (was it CDale with dual drive system?) and be eclipsed by another company using a relatively simple design. Santa Cruz is still committed to the single pivot (in addition to VPP) and no one seems to have a problem with it, I don't think Cannondale makes anything other than a single pivot and no one bats an eye. I guess Trek should be flattered that everyone expects them to be so advanced.

I've seen plenty of flaws in the Trek line up over the years but I still have to disagree when someone says the whole brand is bad. Of course, I own three (see below) so maybe I'm a little jaded. Maybe I've just found a brand that works for me. At least I'm having a good time. Isn't that the whole reason we buy these things?
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdrawn
    Y'know, with as many adverts from the Big S that I see in MBA, it has crossed my mind that they know it's in their best interest to promote Spech and trash their major competitors. I wouldn't put it past the Big S to pressure some mags to do that sort of thing - based on what I've heard about their bullying business practices. I would rather give them the benefit of the doubt but with as many douches as I see on Spech bikes, it's hard.

In the current issue of MBA, Trek has 4 full-page ads (including the more-expensive inside cover), and Specialized has 2 full-page ads. If you count Gary Fisher as a Trek company, then Trek spends way more on advertising than Specialized does.

Although Specialized may be famous for Microsoft-like business practices, they do make good mountain bikes. Trek doesn't. Though hopefully that will change with next year's model.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdrawn
    What Mountain Bike gave the Santa Cruz Heckler a 10/10 and it's a mere single pivot - not even as advanced as a faux bar.
    SC is a good example of how to do it right. They offer new tech next to their old tech, and charge accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by benzy

Moreover, the EX6 is a minor tweak of a 10 year old suspension design that was inferior in 2001.
    Refresh my memory, what 10 year old suspension design would that be ? Inferior in 2001 ? Hmmmm, I seem to recall the original Fuels ('01 was original model year) being held in relatively high regard when they came out (not considered "inferior suspension design" at that time). As I recall, the worst MBA had to say way back when was that the Fuel bb height was too low .....boo f-in' hoo. Interestingly, they had reviewed a fs Spec at the same time and praised it....and it's freaking bb was within 1/4" height of the Fuel. MBA is a joke of a magazine ... I'll occasionally read it at our library, free of charge, but I refuse to pay for that drivel.

catskillclimber
    People hate Trek because it's Trek. Fact of the matter is the Fuel is one of the best selling full suspension bikes in the world and will continue to be no matter what a magazine review says about it. I ride weekly with a group made up of people on Ellsworths, Fishers, Treks, Specialized, Vicious Cycles, Cannondales and more and we all love to switch bikes for the fun of it. Not once have I gotten a complaint on my Fuel EX. I'm actually starting to like the fact that I ride a Trek and everyone thinks it isn't cool. It makes it that much more fun when I blow their asses away.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by catskillclimber
    Not once have I gotten a complaint on my Fuel EX. I'm actually starting to like the fact that I ride a Trek and everyone thinks it isn't cool. It makes it that much more fun when I blow their asses away.
    Disclaimer: Do not take anything I say seriously. I don't want to be confused with someone that actually has a serious position on this.

Dude those people are your friends. They aren't going to tell their "special" friend the truth in this case. Think of it this way:

Not once have I gotten a complaint on my hairpiece. I'm actually starting to like the fact that I wear a hairpiece and everyone thinks it isn't cool. It makes it that much more fun when I get all the ladies.

Yeah, in mountain biking terms, you're that friend.

It's okay though. Take me for example. I had a 9200 and a Y-22 back in the nineties. I just had to come to terms with it and finally admit I made a mistake. I was stupid. I was swayed by pushers that didn't have my best interests in mind. Yes, I was young and foolish.

But I'm okay now. Through the love and support of some great friends on bikes that actually work as advertised and at lower price points, I've come to enjoy my life again. I don't hate myself. I don't beat myself up over it. Life has new meaning.

Don't give up dude. There are people everywhere that want to help, you just have to let them.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

catskillclimber
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Disclaimer: Do not take anything I say seriously. I don't want to be confused with someone that actually has a serious position on this.

Dude those people are your friends. They aren't going to tell their "special" friend the truth in this case. Think of it this way:

Not once have I gotten a complaint on my hairpiece. I'm actually starting to like the fact that I wear a hairpiece and everyone thinks it isn't cool. It makes it that much more fun when I get all the ladies.

Yeah, in mountain biking terms, you're that friend.

It's okay though. Take me for example. I had a 9200 and a Y-22 back in the nineties. I just had to come to terms with it and finally admit I made a mistake. I was stupid. I was swayed by pushers that didn't have my best interests in mind. Yes, I was young and foolish.

But I'm okay now. Through the love and support of some great friends on bikes that actually work as advertised and at lower price points, I've come to enjoy my life again. I don't hate myself. I don't beat myself up over it. Life has new meaning.

Don't give up dude. There are people everywhere that want to help, you just have to let them.
    I think your reading into this a little too far. First off I am not sure what you mean by "special" but I'm pretty sure it is an insult and I'm still not sure why people find the need to insult others they have never met on topics they claim to care nothing about. Second, I am the same age as you, 33, not young and foolish. Young and foolish would be spending three times as much as my EX on a Santa Cruz bike like yours because MBA says it's cool. Third, my friends and I bust each others balls on everything under the sun including our spouses, hairlines, and habits so I doubt any of them would hold back if they did not like my bike. Fourth, there's no f*%@'n way your getting chicks with your hairpiece so stop baiting people online, wipe off your sticky keyboard, and go ride your Richard Cunningham approved bike down to the hair club for men and get your life back together.
    Oh yeah, Disclaimer: Don't take anything I say seriously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast