mtbr member

Has this ever happened to you?

making great time along the trail and next thing you know your seat post is no longer fixed to the bike. Well, I've been waiting for a replacement since mid January and still don't have it. Is Fisher always this slow? Should I be worried about my new Paragon doing the same thing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SCHomer
    making great time along the trail and next thing you know your seat post is no longer fixed to the bike. Well, I've been waiting for a replacement since mid January and still don't have it. Is Fisher always this slow? Should I be worried about my new Paragon doing the same thing?
    Just a guess, but it looks as though perhaps you didn't have enough seatpost inserted into the seattube, resulting in the stress/break. Just guessing.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    No, never seen that happen.

I have to agree with Fuelish's observations that it looks like the seatpost was not far enough in, and if that were the case, then you are relying on only an inch or so of thin wall tubing.

I'd always make sure the seatpost goes deep enough to go past the main joint of the top top and seat stays. The bike will be designed to handle the forces if the seatpost is that deep. It wont be designed to handle it if the seat post is higher than the joint ( i expect )

Hope you get ti sorted . . . nice bike! ( really nice colour )

mtbr member

Seat Post Length

I was running a Thomson 410 post with the total seatpost in frame of 5.75 inches and total length above minimum line 2.75 inches. Wasn't me fellows just a poor design!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    OK - fair do's - sounds like frame problem as you say.

odd that it would go like it did then . . . looks more like the tubing has been weakened by the welding process at manufacture.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I've seen more than one of the Fisher 29ers and a Marlin Broken like that. The seat tube extends so far above the top tube that with the seatpost extended it barely pentetrates past the top tube. Also, if you put the seatpost down into the seat tube past the top tube it will have noticable play, like the tube is too wide for the seatpost. All of this puts too much stress on that point.

You should have a new frame by now though, all of the ones we have warranteed came in under 2 weeks. UNLESS they are out of stock of the frame you need which might be the case.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Just Curious....

How did the seatpost come out if there was 5.75" in the frame? It should have just slid in further. I've had 2 external seattube clamps break on me and just had to finish the ride standing or seated way down low.

mtbr member
    the seatpost didn't come out it just rattled around while i rode it back to the truck standing up. I just took it out for the picture. Theres still about 3 inches of seat tube still attached to the post with the clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHomer
    the seatpost didn't come out it just rattled around while i rode it back to the truck standing up. I just took it out for the picture. Theres still about 3 inches of seat tube still attached to the post with the clamp.
    OK.....sorry to jump to the conclusion, but the pic led us somewhat astray .....yeah, if you had that much post inserted, it's definitely something not right with the frame design/what have you......hope Fisher/Trek hooks you up right quick, then.