mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Has anyone ridden the 27.5 remedy??

Please share your thoughts on how it rides and feel free to compare any of its ride character to any other bikes.

Thanks.

-Berm

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes, I have ridden it at a fairly recent Demo. I currently ride a 29er so take that into account. Other 650b's recently on have been Pivot Mach 6, Pivot LES, Slash, and of course the Remedy.

I loved the Remedy. Thought it was going to be too much travel for what I need but the effective pedaling uphill, while noticeably more difficult (not by much) than my hardtail it was surprisingly good. Was good to very good climber (ate up the technical climbs and the downhills were an absolute blast.

The slash was fun as well and surprisingly climbed well. It did seem a little much but believe me I was shocked at how much it didn't feel like "too much bike".

The Mach six was a flat out machine. It almost felt like a 120 mm travel bike it climbed so well. This was an $8000 bike so it wasn't apples to apples at all and was way out of my price range. The DW link design seemed the best but for my price range (around $3,000) I will be just fine on the Remedy.

I can tell you this, I am more than sold on the wheel size. For me it's exactly what I have been looking for. It's definitely not as playful as a 26inch wheeled bike but IMO was the best of both worlds as I loved the way it handled.

My short list includes the: SC Solo, Remedy, Norco Sight, Rocky Mountain Atltitude and Thunderbolt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    We have the same short list. I have already demoed the Sight and will demo the remedy next week. I would love to demo the Solo.

I am so ready to pull the trigger!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post
    We have the same short list. I have already demoed the Sight and will demo the remedy next week. I would love to demo the Solo.

I am so ready to pull the trigger!
    The Sight is going to be a tough one for me to demo. There is only one shop that is near me that has it, but it's an hour away and I will most likely have to pay. That is fine as the shop gives you a credit toward your purchase, however it's kind of inconvenient if I don't love the bike. But I have heard great things about the Sight. What did you think?

There is a SC demo in my area (a couple actually) and I plan on getting my leg over each and every 27.5 they have there. I have never ridden a SC bike, but all my buddies say don't purchase until I try one.

I totally forgot about the Kona Process as well as the Turner Burner as well. They are also on my list. Turner are probably my favorite bike company but there are zero dealers near me so that kind of sucks. Surprisingly their are A LOT of riders in my area that have them so I have got to ride one. They are an amazing company. I actually called one time and Dave Turner actually answered the phone lol. Still seems a tad risky to spend that much without having a dealer near me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The sight I rode was a 2013 and with low specs. It weighed 32 pounds. However, I loved it. It had me hiking up barely walkable inclines just to ride down them. The front end always went where I wanted it to go in tight, slow switchbacks going up or down. It was a very fun bike. It wasn't a dog on the climbs, but it wasn't a mountain goat either. I'm not interested in carbon at this point and the new Sights in aluminum aren't specced well. I'm trying to build an aluminum Sight with a goal weight of 27.5 lbs. If we can, and I don't love the Remedy, I'll pull the trigger.

The Turner Flux/Burner is also tempting, but I'm in the same boat with dealer availability. Dropping > $5000 on a bike that requires precise suspension setup to work properly without any delaers in the area is not comforting to me. Although the Giant I rode had a similar rear suspension to the Turner and it felt like I had an electric motor assisting the climbs.

The only SC I did demo was the Superlight. The single pivot felt fine, but I'm not interested in a 29er. I hear the VPP from SC isn't very lively, but I'd love to see for myself.

The Kona has one good review online, but their availability to me is an issue. It would take $500 for my local REI (or is it EMS) to bring one in for me. And outside that one long write up, no other gleaming reports are out there.

I'll demo the Remedy in a week. Then I'll know.

These are good problems to have. We are lucky there are so many great bikes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    I totally forgot about the Kona Process as well as the Turner Burner as well. They are also on my list. Turner are probably my favorite bike company but there are zero dealers near me so that kind of sucks. Surprisingly their are A LOT of riders in my area that have them so I have got to ride one. They are an amazing company. I actually called one time and Dave Turner actually answered the phone lol. Still seems a tad risky to spend that much without having a dealer near me.

I am in the same boat as you on the turner i have heard they are absolutely fantastic bikes but where i am there ins't any dealers near by and it scares me to buy an expensive bike and not have a bike shop to support it.

The only SC I did demo was the Superlight. The single pivot felt fine, but I'm not interested in a 29er. I hear the VPP from SC isn't very lively, but I'd love to see for myself.
    My wife has the new 2014 Santa Cruz Heckler and it is a fantastic bike. It is a simple single pivot design like the super light but has 150mm of travel and then it is 27.5 wheel. I have ridden it and while the build she got (The DAM) weighs in at 31lbs it still climbed very well and the rear end is very active on downhill. She is using it as an all-rounder, doing XC and just starting to pick up downhill on it.

In the next couple months i am going to be getting myself a new bike and I find myself continually going back to the Santa Cruz Bronson, has the same Geometry and travel as the heckler but it is the vpp suspension and i did like the heckler.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If I may ask, what's wrong with the Heckler?. You seem to be quite impressed by it. You're now making me consider it! Can you pick out any weaknesses?

If you buy just the frame and up the specs...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Honestly nothing is really wrong with it. There is just something about that Bronson that keeps sucking me back in. I think partly I want the slightly more efficient suspension system, and then the other thing is I don't want to match my wife. Though if the Bronson wasn't around i would actually strongly consider the Heckler after taking my wife's off some drops and stuff(her frame is a little small for me), but for some reason I keep going back to the Bronson.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The sight I rode was a 2013 and with low specs. It weighed 32 pounds. However, I loved it. It had me hiking up barely walkable inclines just to ride down them. The front end always went where I wanted it to go in tight, slow switchbacks going up or down. It was a very fun bike. It wasn't a dog on the climbs, but it wasn't a mountain goat either. I'm not interested in carbon at this point and the new Sights in aluminum aren't specced well. I'm trying to build an aluminum Sight with a goal weight of 27.5 lbs. If we can, and I don't love the Remedy, I'll pull the trigger.

The Turner Flux/Burner is also tempting, but I'm in the same boat with dealer availability. Dropping > $5000 on a bike that requires precise suspension setup to work properly without any delaers in the area is not comforting to me. Although the Giant I rode had a similar rear suspension to the Turner and it felt like I had an electric motor assisting the climbs.

The Kona has one good review online, but their availability to me is an issue. It would take $500 for my local REI (or is it EMS) to bring one in for me. And outside that one long write up, no other gleaming reports are out there.

I'll demo the Remedy in a week. Then I'll know.

These are good problems to have. We are lucky there are so many great bikes!
    I agree with your last quote. At the Pivot demo one of the guys said that this is the single best time in Mtb. history history to be in a market for bike due to all of the different bikes available. Especially with how far suspension design has come.

I have ridden a Heckler as well, enjoyed it, but it was an older one and it definitely wasn't as good a climber as the Pivot's DW link design. I could almost stand and mash like a hardtail on that thing. I am really looking forward to trying the VPP design. Really hope they have some new 650b hecklers.

I am not even sure what kind of design the Trek bikes have? Split pivot??? Either way it was somewhere in between the two. I really liked it though and it wasn't even on my radar before the demo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Was at my local Trek dealer today and they mentioned that they this December they are coming out with a 6500b/27.5 fuel as well. Asked him how sure and he said 100%.

Typically pretty reliable guy and it would make sense.

Just might throw a wrench in everything but in all honesty unless it's a major improvement on the climbing I would probably still go with the Remedy. It was too much fun on the downs.