Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1

    Has anyone heard of a Kliean "Rascal"

    Found a 6 year old rascal a that a guy is selling with all his tools. He said the tools alone are worth around $4000. He is selling everything for $885. This would be my first serious mountain bike and I can't find any info on this rascal. Any feedback would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    those are Rollercams...
    Reputation: WTB-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,896
    A "Kliean" Rascal? No. A Klein Rascal ? Yes. Great bike.

    $885 plus tools? Is it a complete bike? What tools is he saying are worth 4 grand? Need more info.

    Truly a wealth of useless information.


    http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    No good in rock gardens..
    Reputation: Sideknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,824
    A Rascal would be around 16 or 17 years old.

    Great for a girl, not always good for a thin walled MTB frame.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

  4. #4
    No good in rock gardens..
    Reputation: Sideknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,824
    They can be sought after by those who specifically want such a frame, however.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

  5. #5
    Ride on
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    640

    Klein Rascal

    My friend bought a Klein Rascal in '91 or '92. It had an awesome paint job and looked really different and cool back when oversized aluminum frames were just starting to catch on.

    I would have concerns about metal fatigue in an older frame, as well as the possibility of a funky head tube diameter (is it 1 1/4"?), probable lack of disc tabs, possibly decrepit parts, etc.

  6. #6
    He be a moose too.
    Reputation: pinguwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,011
    Rascals were made from 1990-93. After that, the Pulse took over, but wasn't quite as high quality. The Rascal is an excellent, well-made bike and I wouldn't have any hesitation to get one. It rides very, very nice.

    I wouldn't sweat metal fatigue unless there is a specific reason (that is my opinion, others may think differently, I did pass up an old Klein that the guy said he rode it downhill for 10 years, mhhh, keep moving nothing to see here). No, it doesn't have disc tabs, but if you put suspension on it, you can have discs in the front. Naturally, with an older bike you need to look it over to make sure you aren't getting a worn out bike or components.

    I own a '93 Rascal and love it. It has a 1" head tube, not 1 1/4. The Rascal has the 'normal' front end but is the same as a Klein Attitude from behind the head tube. Rascals in good condition are running $400-800 for a bike in good condition.

    Actually, if you have any questions about it or older bikes in general, I would suggest you post to the Vintage, Retro, Classic forum. There are some very knowledgeable people when it comes to classic rides. Post some pics to the group there (they *require* pics, informal forum rule) and ask people what they think. Tell 'em Penguin sent you, I'm always hanging out there.

    I don't know what sort of condition, size, etc, but if the bike fits you and is in good shape, it's a killer ride.

    Penguin

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lebikerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,739
    Here's a link to the '93 Klein catalog showing the Rascal...
    http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekatal.../Klein1993.pdf

  8. #8
    MTB Monkey
    Reputation: Jefe74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    310
    I put a bunch of miles on a '91 Klein Pinnacle back in the day, which was a very similar bike to the Rascal. Great bike at the time, but if I were you, I would pass on this. First off, this guy sounds full of it. (6 years old? no. $4,000 worth of tools?? That better include a MIG welder, drill press, and a mill). Yes the bike might be worth $800 to someone who knows and wants that particular frame, but its got too many goofy features to be considered a deal. 1" headset, internally routed cables that look nice but are a pain to service, non standard pressed in bottom bracket. Plus, is it even the right size for you?

    If you just want a good bike, you are much better off going to a local bike shop and spending $600 on a hardtail that fits. That leaves you a couple hundred for a helmet, shoes, pack, pump, multitool, and a couple spare tubes.

    Frames and components have gotten so much better in the last 15 years that a modern $600 bike really is better than an old $2000 bike.

    - J

  9. #9
    pronounced may-duh
    Reputation: Maida7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,309
    If it was just the old klien and some tools then I would say PASS. But what exatly are these tools? What tools are worth 4000.00?

    That Klien is OLD. It was an expensive, quality bike back in it's day and is now a colectable. But unless you are a colector your money is better spent on a newer bike. The only reason it is worth more than 100.00 today is the Klien name. Also alumiunm frames don't last forever. If buying very old, look for a steel frame.

    I say NO DEAL but the tool set is a wild card.

  10. #10
    Never mind.............
    Reputation: mtbikerjohn2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    164
    I had 2 Klein Rascals and loved them both...Yes they are an old design,but I wouldn't mind grabbing another to make a sweet single speed out of it...although the vintage folkes would probably tar & feather me for it!
    "Staring at the world from my own little Idaho..."

  11. #11
    those are Rollercams...
    Reputation: WTB-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,896
    Let's hear more about the tools!!!!

    Full Campy set? Pant, drool....

    Oh yeah,

    pinguwin likes Kleins because the paint jobs match his crazy tights.

    Sorry Pin, couldn't resist.

    Truly a wealth of useless information.


    http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    He be a moose too.
    Reputation: pinguwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn2003
    to make a sweet single speed out of it...although the vintage folkes would probably tar & feather me for it!
    No, not at all. The VRC folks quite frequently put up pics of their single speeds. If you would cut up a Rascal to make an abstract sculpture, then you would catch grief, but SS are popular with that crowd.

    Maida, I agree with you that a vintage Rascal isn't neccesarily the best bike for a newbie, not a bad one, but not neccesarily the best. I disagree with the $100 thing. It's worth what it is because it's a fine ride. It's as good as anything made today. By that time, rigid geometry had been mastered and suspension (for the travel they had at that time) geometry was close. I ride my Rascal several times a week and see no reason to buy a newer bike. It's not a downhill or freeride bike, so as long as you don't use it for these purposes, it rocks. Quality is timeless, so the bike is as good then as it is now. I say this not only about Kleins, but of all the well-made high end bikes.

    My primary bike is a '96 Attitude (going to buy a new SID for it this week) and there is no bike made then or today that is finer that that. One could argue this point and I'm not saying that it is better than everything else. I have the cash to write a check for any bike currently produced, but I choose to stick with my Attitude & Rascal.

    Please note: I'm not ranting at you...even if it may come off like that

    Penguin
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    He be a moose too.
    Reputation: pinguwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,011
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    pinguwin likes Kleins because the paint jobs match his crazy tights.
    Hey, it's alright man, a guy who appears in public like I do has to be prepared for that. For those who don't know what he's talking about (it was in a thread on the vintage group), here is a picture of the visual abuse that I push on others.

    WTB, I got a new set of tights last week, when I get some pics of a new frame that I bought recently, I'll be sure to show the tights too. Betcha ya can't wait.

    'Guin
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    No good in rock gardens..
    Reputation: Sideknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,824

    Rascal

    I got me a Pinnacle.

    Not sure waht year it is. XT/XTR with Judy SL, Velocity K525 rims on XT hubs etc.

    It's not my main bike and only gets ridden once in a while.

    If it's your first bike I'd suggest you get a new bike for the same amount. The Rascal is OK, but as has been mentioned it has many now non standard features and the frame may or may not be in reliable condition.

    It's more of a bike for the collector than the trail basher.

    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

  15. #15
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,540
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    Hey, it's alright man, a guy who appears in public like I do has to be prepared for that. For those who don't know what he's talking about (it was in a thread on the vintage group), here is a picture of the visual abuse that I push on others.

    WTB, I got a new set of tights last week, when I get some pics of a new frame that I bought recently, I'll be sure to show the tights too. Betcha ya can't wait.

    'Guin
    THAT....is EXACTLY why I would never buy a Klien. Puke.....

  16. #16
    pronounced may-duh
    Reputation: Maida7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,309
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    No, not at all. The VRC folks quite frequently put up pics of their single speeds. If you would cut up a Rascal to make an abstract sculpture, then you would catch grief, but SS are popular with that crowd.

    Maida, I agree with you that a vintage Rascal isn't neccesarily the best bike for a newbie, not a bad one, but not neccesarily the best. I disagree with the $100 thing. It's worth what it is because it's a fine ride. It's as good as anything made today. By that time, rigid geometry had been mastered and suspension (for the travel they had at that time) geometry was close. I ride my Rascal several times a week and see no reason to buy a newer bike. It's not a downhill or freeride bike, so as long as you don't use it for these purposes, it rocks. Quality is timeless, so the bike is as good then as it is now. I say this not only about Kleins, but of all the well-made high end bikes.

    My primary bike is a '96 Attitude (going to buy a new SID for it this week) and there is no bike made then or today that is finer that that. One could argue this point and I'm not saying that it is better than everything else. I have the cash to write a check for any bike currently produced, but I choose to stick with my Attitude & Rascal.

    Please note: I'm not ranting at you...even if it may come off like that

    Penguin
    No offense taken. I agree Kiens were top notch bikes. I often drooled over the attitude and adroit frames with the mission control bar/stem. But for most people can not tell the difference between the ride of the klien and the ride of a cannondale of the same time period. But an old cannondale can be had for 1/4 the price of an old klien. Both cdale and kliens are aluminum bikes and I personally would not trust an older aluminum frame. If shopping old frames fro regular trail duty look at steel. Look for an old tom Richey or Mountain goat or just about any frame that was made with Tange Prestige tubing. And in any case look for something a bit newer with disc mounts and a 1-1/8" headset.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    THAT....is EXACTLY why I would never buy a Klien. Puke.....
    Come on... Considering the tights, shoes, componentry.. It matches perfectly.

    The paintjob is more symbolic of the era than of Klein. Many other brands had dayglow paintjobs then -- its just the Klein did it more, uh, famously.

    Are there any paintjobs more memorable than Gator Linear Fade or Nightstorm?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •