mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Hangin on by the finger nails

3 and a half years on my Liquid 10 and 2000+ miles on it. Finally broke the frame. Stress tear at and above the weld on the right side above the bottom bracket from the fork down tube. ****, needed it to last an other year. I just bought a fixer house.
    It must be a common problem. Local Trek dealer,where I bought it, called to say sorry no frames to replace but, can deal with 50% off a Remady, Well that was a month ago. The painting of the frame excuse really didn't wash the first time. If you don't know just say so.
    After rasing a little hell I got a promise (?) to look into it.
    The addiction still runs thru my blood. Just finished a cheap Hardrock hard tail frame build up with my Physlo fork with disc brakes front and bac, Hayes hydro at that. Wonder where they came from? First trail ride in two days.
    Gotta cut me some trail.
    My front derailer doesn't fit......... **** it I'll get to it. I've got 9 gears and i'm not afraid to use them.
    Gotta cut me some trail!

Quote Originally Posted by jo30
    Local Trek dealer,where I bought it, called to say sorry no frames to replace but, can deal with 50% off a Remady .........
    That sux .... Hmmmmmm, I'm gonna have to re-read Trek's warranty - I thought if the frame busted, they'd either replace the frame with the same (if still produced) or with the closest type frame they currently manufacture - having you pony up 50% $$$ to get a replacement frame sounds like a rip-off, unless this is being considered "crash replacement" and not "warranty replacement". Did it just break, or did you break it ? Just wonderin'

He be a moose too.
    Fuelish sounds right and it might be a crash replacement. I've heard that Trek is not particularily stingy with warranty replacement if indeed this is a warranty & not a crash replacement. I don't know your warranty conditions but perhaps it's a 3-year warranty. If a bike is out warranty but not ancient, many companies will cut you a deal on a new one, so that might be a possibility.

I have had issues where a Trek dealer wouldn't repair the frame when they said the frame was abused (it was five days old, never been offroad, not a scratch on it and the rear triangle was out of alignment). So check with the dealer what the situation is. When I complained to Trek about this they said that their dealers are they eyes & ears but that they would be happy to look at it themselves but I would have to ship it to them, which is fair enough.

The end of my story was that the dealer fixed the frame and billed me for it. I never ended up paying, I didn't feel bad about that one bit.

Pinguwin

Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    I have had issues where a Trek dealer wouldn't repair the frame when they said the frame was abused (it was five days old, never been offroad, not a scratch on it and the rear triangle was out of alignment). So check with the dealer what the situation is. When I complained to Trek about this they said that their dealers are they eyes & ears but that they would be happy to look at it themselves but I would have to ship it to them, which is fair enough.
    Yeah, I think Trek the company is pretty generous with their warranty, but the individual Trek dealer can be hit or miss, as far as customer service, etc. Luckily, I've never had any warranty related issues on my Fuel (having seen a fair number of broken Fuels posted here, it's always in the back of my mind ) .... my old Fuel 90 just keeps on rockin' w/ regular required maintenance and nothing more.

He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish
    but the individual Trek dealer can be hit or miss
    While not a Trek dealer, I did have a problem with a dealer once. I had been hit by a car and was getting the damage assessed at my LBS. He refused to assess cosmetic damage such as scratched/gouged derailleur, post, paint, etc. He told me that the gouges didn't affect how the bike rode so he wouldn't put that in the estimate. Some sort of strange ethics code he followed. I asked him if I hit his car with mine and banged up the doors and quarter panels but he could still drive around whether he would would ask a body shop to leave it out of the estimate. Needless to say, I found a new shop very quickly.

I called the manufacturer and told them about this. They apologized profusely for this idiot and made arrangements for me visit another shop in a neighboring town. They were waiting for me when I arrived.

So which dealer you deal with can make a big difference.

Penguin

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    While not a Trek dealer, I did have a problem with a dealer once. I had been hit by a car and was getting the damage assessed at my LBS. He refused to assess cosmetic damage such as scratched/gouged derailleur, post, paint, etc. He told me that the gouges didn't affect how the bike rode so he wouldn't put that in the estimate. Some sort of strange ethics code he followed. I asked him if I hit his car with mine and banged up the doors and quarter panels but he could still drive around whether he would would ask a body shop to leave it out of the estimate. Needless to say, I found a new shop very quickly.

I called the manufacturer and told them about this. They apologized profusely for this idiot and made arrangements for me visit another shop in a neighboring town. They were waiting for me when I arrived.

So which dealer you deal with can make a big difference.

Penguin

This is a great analogy, wonder what the dealer replied to you.

He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jns2001
    wonder what the dealer replied to you.
    He just continued to insist that cosmetic damage didn't matter and wouldn't include it in the estimate. I insisted on walking out the door and never went back for so much as a tire patch.

I ride with some people who work in shops and they were surprised by this. They said, 'It's standard operating procedure to write the whole thing off and give you an estimate for an entire bike, no matter what." So they were surprised at the dealer being such a doofus.

Penguin
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

update

Trek came thru on the 50% replace. After a lot of whineing and complaining by me to my shop and nasty e-mails to Trek. 3 monthes was too long.
    In the mean time I bought a old Specialized hard tail frame with disc brake tabs and used my old liquid parts that would fit.

Gotta ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Trek came thru on the 50% replace. After a lot of whineing and complaining by me to my shop and nasty e-mails to Trek. 3 monthes was too long.
    In the mean time I bought a old Specialized hard tail frame with disc brake tabs and used my old liquid parts that would fit.

Gotta ride.

Just curious. What was the total for the new frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The painting of the frame excuse really didn't wash the first time.
    It's not your shop giving you excuses, it's Trek. It seems that every time I call Trek to check on a customer's frame, I get that excuse straight from them, "Oh yeah, it's in paint, what color would you like it again?"