You got any chocolate?

Haggling advice on two new Treks

Dear fellow Trek lovers,

I am about to buy a Fuel Ex9 for me and a Fuel Ex9WSD for my wife. Both are the 2006 models. Both bikes list at $3190. The LBS has them both marked down to $2400. I called, he has both in stock in all sizes and we are going there tomorrow to be fitted. He can have both bikes to us by Tuesday 6/27.

Should I push the envelope and try to get them cheaper? I am thinking maybe 2200 or 2100 is a good price since I know he is getting ready for the 2007 models. Does anyone know what these bikes cost the LBS?

Thanks in advance for the "haggling advice".

All those years of scrimping and saving finally paid off! That and we settled our contract and got a huge retro check which helps out too!
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

Was that a Bobcat?

It wouldn't hurt to try

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try and get the price a little lower.... either way you are getting a pretty good deal. If they don't go for the lower price you can ask for a no tax deal.... just a thought. Good luck!

mtbr member
    I say "TAKE THE DEAL". That way your LBS makes some money.

It does sound like a big shop if they have all sizes for you and her. If he has so many then he bought them on credit. Everyone should be familiar with what a credit card can do to you.
    He has them that low to get them out of his store so he can replace them with the same exact bike he has in storage.
    My guess is that he paid $1800 -1900 for the bikes. That means that if you get him down any further he is only making about 10% plus he had to pay his employees to build it.

Let the guy make some money and maybe he will just continue to give you deals. If you try to go lower he may think you will never come back.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    You'll be getting those Fuel's for almost the list price... you don't want your LBS taking a loss now do you?

Warrior's Society
    $800 off the price of a bike is not enough? $1600 of the price of 2 bikes isn't enough? Most customers are happy when they get 10% discount. No need to be greedy. YEs, sometimes the shop will skip the sales tax if you pay via cash, but that is something you need to check with the individual shop for.

You got any chocolate?
    We purchased both bikes today. We paid $2325 for each bike. They were very happy. We were very happy. The whole transaction went great and they will be ready by Tuesday. A total of $1730 in savings.
    Last edited by tg3895; 06-24-2006 at 06:21 PM.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    You got a crazy deal man. Im jealous. I paid 2300 for a 05 fuel ex 8

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Which shop?

Which shop. I am looking for one for my girlfriend. In the NYC area as well.

Nice ......
    Quote Originally Posted by tg3895
    We purchased both bikes today. We paid $2325 for each bike. They were very happy. We were very happy. The whole transaction went great and they will be ready by Tuesday. A total of $1730 in savings.

You got any chocolate?
    Picked up both bikes today. My wife and I took the bikes out tonight for their first rides. All I can say is "WOW!!!" They are awesome. Best part is it started pouring rain and we just kept riding in the rain. We looked at it as our bikes being baptised for good luck!

LBS I dealt with is called Bicycle Habitat. They are located on Lafayette Street right off of Spring Street in Soho. My sales guy was Eric and he was great. Charlie is the owner and is another great guy. The LBS has been around for 25 years.

Wishing everyone a Happy Fourth!!!!
    Last edited by tg3895; 07-22-2006 at 07:01 PM.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY