2006 Yeti AS-X

A good shock of Trek's warranty!

Bought a 2011 Trek EX5 back in Oct 2011 and the rear shifter had been causing me grief since I bought the bike. In rear gears 2 and 5, it would make the clickity-click sound and ghost shift into the next higher gear. After countless adjustments, cable replacements, more adjustments, replacing cable housings...The problem kept persisting. This week, I thought well maybe the derailleur is funky so figured might as well upgrade the thing.

Called the bike shop and ordered a SRAM X-9 to replace the X-5 that the bike came with and they put it in and....still the issue was there. The shop figured they had pretty much checked everything...but the shifter itself which they said had to be bad since they had replaced everything else on the system - derailleur, cabling, housing, and even the chain. The freewheel was determined to be good.

Anyways, they called Trek and Trek is sending out an X-7 shifter as a warranty replacement. Either they are being really nice or they don't make the X-5 shifters anymore. Not a bad deal for me since getting a little bit better shifter.

Anyways, kinda exciting to see how the X-7/X-9 combo runs after all is said and done.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I would hope the shop would have checked this, but is the hanger bent?

Its nice they are working with you, most Trek dealers I've visited are pretty cool. Hope the new shifter does the trick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miller542 View Post
    I would hope the shop would have checked this, but is the hanger bent?

Its nice they are working with you, most Trek dealers I've visited are pretty cool. Hope the new shifter does the trick.
    they rear der housing could be too short as well

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I'm having the exact opposite problem with warranty at the moment. Shimano XT rear brake blew its piston, bought the Fuel EX 9 end of July last year, and Trek store have said "no warranty on that brake", we can replace it for you for $199AUD. I've said Shimano non XTR/Dura-Ace, it's a 2 year warranty, fix it. They're standing firm, currently following up a complaint service with Trek.

Same store wants to charge $350 for a DRCV rebuild kit. Wish I was back home where I bought the bike, those guys would take care of me.
    Trek Fuel EX 9 (2012)
    Trek Superfly AL Elite (2013)

mtbr member

Re: A good shock of Trek's warranty!

I had a couple issues with my trek 29er I bought back January, expected for being a clyde, but being I was under their 300lb limit they replaced the parts no questions asked.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member

Re: A good shock of Trek's warranty!

Forgot to put in about ur issue with shifting.

Shifted is possible but above all check the rear derailleur hanger. Ghost shifting nd that kind of noise I've never ran into with anything but the cheapest of cheap crap (even shimano tourney series didn't do it till was well worn) unless the hanger was bent. Just ran into it on a friends bike. Couldn't see the bend but straight edge revealed it, took rd and rear wheel off, slight tweak with cresent wrench and shifting was perfect again. Was a cheaper bike without replaceable hanger (hanger formed into dropout). Works on replaceable but I prefer to just replace it since metal is kinda thin.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!