mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Is this a good deal on a 2011 Fuel EX 6?

I saw this 2011 Fuel EX 6 at my lbs on sale for $1650. I am no to terribly knowledgable on trek bikes and I was wondering if that is a good deal. The bikes comes with a full warranty, and 6 months of free tune ups.

I am coming from a hardtail 29er and I'm looking for a more nimble and playful bike to catch more air with and rail the downhills faster. Here is the link libertybikes com/product/11trek-fuel-ex-6-73323-1.htm (just put a dot between libertybikes and the com, i dont have enough posts yet to post a link)

Frame Trek Alpha Red Series aluminum
    Fork RockShox Recon Gold TK Solo Air, 120mm-travel
    Rear Shock Fox Float RP2 w/ProPedal, 120mm-travel
    Rims/Wheels Bontrager Ranger
    Hubs Shimano M475
    Tires Bontrager XR3, 26 x 2.2
    Crankset Shimano
    Chainwheel 44/32/22
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
    Rear Cogs SRAM PG950, 9-speed: 11-34
    Shifters Shimano
    Handlebars Bontrager
    Tape/Grips Bontrager Race Lite
    Stem Bontrager SSR
    Brake Levers Avid Elixir
    Brakes Avid Elixir 3 discs, 6-inch rotors
    Saddle Bontrager Evoke 1
    Seat Post Bontrager

thanks for any advice. Also the bike is 19.5 inch size and I am 5'11. The LBS said it would fit me fine

mtbr member
    JMHO, of course the LBS would say a 19.5 would fit you fine, they're trying to move stock!

i'm the same height and i think it's too high?

mtbr member
    I think a 19.5" frame for someone of your height would be a pretty good fit but depends a bit on whether you've got more height in your legs or body. If you've got long legs and need a fair bit of seat post height, you'll want that 19.5" tube.

Price wise, my wife got that price on the same bike a year ago so I would think they could do better than that now that it's even a year older. This bike is nearly two years old. Also, not sure where you're at but my wife got that price in Canada where the bikes tend to be a bit more expensive so if you're in the US somewhere, I'd really try to get that price down even more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What would you guys consider a fair asking price then? around $1400? The 2013's do look very nice though with more travel and a bit more slacked out

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    yeah at your height 19.5 is not out of the question, that is what I ride and it is a perfect fit. I think you should be able to lower the price down seeing as it is now going to be two years old but I do think the new 2013s are going to be nice but all we have now is pictures no reviews...I would suggest waiting if you are really into the 2013 and trying them both out.
    2011 Trek Remedy 7