mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Good Deal on a 2005 Fisher HKEK?...

The LBS actually has a 2005 HKEK in my size (17.5) still in the store. I know this has v-brakes, but other than that it looks like pretty much the same bike as the 06. Is it? He's quoting me a price of $814 for it. I think retail was somewhere over $900. Do y'all think that's a good deal or should I press for more? I'm guessing I could get him down a little bit from there, just not sure how much. Since it's an 05, I would think the discount would be better than $100 or so. I know I'm going to have to put disc brakes on this sucker, so I'll definitely incur some cost doing that.

He also has a 2006 X-Cal that I'm currently demo-ing. He said he had to keep it until June or July, but he would sell it to me for something like $950.

What do y'all think?

w

mtbr member
    May 2004
    After last weekend I'm really looking hard at putting discs on my 03 Big Sur.
    I'd have done it already if I didn't have to change out the wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The main differences between the '05 and '06 HKEK are the fork and brakes. The '06 has the new Rock Shox Tora 318 Air, while the '05 has the Rock Shox Pilot SL. The '06 also comes standard with disc brakes.

I don't think that's a great deal. For an '05 HKEK, I'd expect to pay closer to $750. And you may just want to look at something else if you're dead set on disc brakes.

If the 29"er works for you, that seems like a pretty good price for the X-Caliber, as long as it is still in good shape when you get it and you get the manufacturer's warranty.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by willx45x
    The LBS actually has a 2005 HKEK in my size (17.5) still in the store. I know this has v-brakes, but other than that it looks like pretty much the same bike as the 06. Is it? He's quoting me a price of $814 for it. I think retail was somewhere over $900. Do y'all think that's a good deal or should I press for more? I'm guessing I could get him down a little bit from there, just not sure how much. Since it's an 05, I would think the discount would be better than $100 or so. I know I'm going to have to put disc brakes on this sucker, so I'll definitely incur some cost doing that.

He also has a 2006 X-Cal that I'm currently demo-ing. He said he had to keep it until June or July, but he would sell it to me for something like $950.

What do y'all think?

w
    If you are gonna end up having to put disc brakes on anyway, then you might as well just go for the 06 HKEK. You will end up with a better front fork, and in the long run it will probably be more costly to buy the 05 and then buy disc brakes for it.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've got him talked down to $719 for the HKEK now. That's $200 off the MSRP. I was thinking about getting my wife the Trek 4500 WSD, but at that price, I'm thinking about getting her the HKEK and riding it until the X-Cal is ready. Would you agree that the HKEK would be a very good bike for her at that price? I really haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm thinking that the HKEK may be too good to pass up since we both need bikes. I would like to take a little more time finding my bike. She's tall (5'8") with a 32"+ inseam, so I think this 17.5" frame will probably fit her nicely.

Whaddaya think? Pick up the HKEK at $719 for the wife?

w

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    See my post above. I've got a new plan. Seriously doubt I would need to get disc brakes for the wife.

w

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by willx45x
    See my post above. I've got a new plan. Seriously doubt I would need to get disc brakes for the wife.

w
    If she dosent need the discs then I say go for it. That's a pretty sick deal if ya ask me. I just wouldn't wait too long b/c someone is liable to snatch it up pretty quick for that price.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels