mtbr member
    Nov 2009

going tubeless with a fuel ex 6.5

I just got an 09 Trek Fuel Ex 6.5. I'm considering going tubless. According the the specs, my bike has Bontrager Ranger rims and Bontrager Jones XR tires. It does not say whether the tires are tubeless ready or not. I've checked Bontrager's website, and the Jones XR do come in a tubeless ready version. Is there anyway to tell if mine are tubeless ready? Anyone else have a Fuel EX 6.5 that converted to tubeless? Can it be done with the stock wheels and tires?

mtbr member
    I've just gone tubeless on my '09 EX8 (Aussie delivered). My Jones XR definately have 'tubeless ready' on the side of them and turns out they were too :-). My wheels are the Bontrager Rythym that came with the bike, and although they do have a rim strip inside already, I needed the Bontrager specific rim strip and tubeless valve. I added some Stans while I was there, just in case and did the whole thing myself...EASY

Oh, and try this thread...explains everything 2010 Fuel EX8 and "Tubeless ready" wheels and tires

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ranger rims do not have the tubeless bead to make them tubeless ready. You can run them tubeless at your own risk by using some rim strips like stans or by running one of the many ghetto tubeless setups.

on the path most traveled
    I was going to try and order the rim strips for my dusters directly from the Bontrager website, but I can't figure out if I need asymmetric or symmetric rim strips.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Dusters use the rim strips with part number 400336.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Dan
    I've just gone tubeless on my '09 EX8 (Aussie delivered). My Jones XR definately have 'tubeless ready' on the side of them and turns out they were too :-). My wheels are the Bontrager Rythym that came with the bike, and although they do have a rim strip inside already, I needed the Bontrager specific rim strip and tubeless valve. I added some Stans while I was there, just in case and did the whole thing myself...EASY

Oh, and try this thread...explains everything 2010 Fuel EX8 and "Tubeless ready" wheels and tires
    yea, i didn't see it on my tires. i'll have to look again, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't say tubeless ready. i saw that thread but it seemed more geared toward the ex 8,9 which have better wheels and tires.

thanks for the replies guys.

on the path most traveled
    Quote Originally Posted by tussery
    Dusters use the rim strips with part number 400336.
    Thanks, but apparently the bonty website is sold out of that one. Hopefully the LBS will have it.